Start by marking “Strange Children” as Want to Read:
Strange Children

Strange Children

Strange Children is an emotional reckoning of medical trauma, marriage, family, loss, and adoption. In simple, direct language, the poems here are honest, hard, and hopeful as they explore the “loss of what we never had / but dreamt of—not allowed to dream / of that life any longer.” These are poems you can feel.
Published April 10th 2018 by Publishing Genius Press

To ask other readers questions about Strange Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Children

Start your review of Strange Children
Courtney LeBlanc
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful collection of poetry that balances sadness and heartbreak with happiness and hope. Covering his wife's stroke, just after giving birth to their son, and their path toward adoption this collection takes the reader on a journey and makes them feel every moment of hope and sorrow. The poems are simple and stark and get to the heart of this sad and then wonderful journey. This collection is a must-have for a poetry lover.
Elaine
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The other night I was walking past my neighbor's fig tree and found a note in a plastic bag: NEIGHBORS, PLEASE TAKE FIGS. The bag was tied to a branch, clear, plain, orienting. This is how I feel about the voice in these poems by Dan Brady: someone stands at the door of loss, handing me what's most nourishing from the shadowy tree of life. Neighbor, please take these poems for what they are: lines composed out of crisis, in the threshold between events that change one always.
Christopher
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dan's a great literary citizen, but above this I believe it takes real guts and humanity just to be so honest and open in what we choose to write about, especially in today's world. Brady's construction and premise in his poetry book shows this over and over again.

The copy I got, which I'm not sure is the same as the entire run, is also letterpressed, making it all the more valuable to me.
Jaime Fountaine
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read STRANGE CHILDREN on the subway one morning, and it's beautiful as both an object (A+ work Publishing Genius), and as the story of how a family came to be. I bought a second copy for some friends who are adopting.
Adam
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The tone/pacing/volume/clarity/honesty/cohesiveness/generosity/compassion of this book is heartstopping.
Tracy
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is so much hope and happiness in Strange Children. It's beautiful to see possibility, despite the trauma that came with a stroke during pregnancy. Fear can be a ghost of grief, following it. Brady puts this to poem on page 28, while showing throughout the collection that grief transforms as you live with it. Strange Children is a hard, beautiful book.

Brady's observations took my breath away:

"The morning is a sea
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good.
Danny Caine
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A devastatingly direct meditation on family, health, parenting, and the prospect of loss. A book that doesn't take long to read, but will take much longer to forget.
Chris Gonzalez
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
STRANGE CHILDREN broke my heart and patched it together again. Dan's writing is honest and open—the journey taken in this collection maneuvers through heartache, anxiety, burning hope, into happiness. A must-read for poetry lovers and those (like me) who are looking to fold more poetry into their reading.
Param Singh
Jun 05, 2018
Rebecca Ramp
Dec 13, 2018
Dan
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Zach

• The Art of Cruelty: A Reckoning
  • Pain: The Science of Suffering
  • Record of a Night Too Brief
  • Migraine
Dan Brady is the author of Strange Children (Publishing Genius, 2018) and two chapbooks, Cabin Fever / Fossil Record (Flying Guillotine Press) and Leroy Sequences (Horse Less Press). He is the poetry editor of Barrelhouse and lives in Arlington, Virginia with his wife and two kids. Learn more at danbrady.org.