Start by marking “Indira” as Want to Read:
Indira

Indira

In a government school classroom in Delhi, young Indira Thapa is set an unusual assignment by her favourite teacher: to write an essay around her name. Who was Indira Priyadarshini, the person after whom her grandfather named her? And why her? What is her legacy as India’s first—and only—woman prime minister?

Over the course of a long, hot summer and a curious friendship wi
Published February 20th 2018 by Context (first published February 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Indira, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indira

Gorab Jain
4.5
This book is as much of a delight to hold, as it is to read experience.

Many times while turning the pages, got confused whether a page is skipped. Not only because there are no page numbers on illustrations, albeit the paper quality is THAT good!

Obviously a biography, with a parallel story of the characters involved in making of this book. Was a bit skeptical about bias in a biography of a controversial figure. The bibliography and sources list in the end justifies the content.

Very creative a
Ashish Iyer
Beautiful graphics. I didn't like the Parallel girl story it was quite annoying at one extend. All the Indira's controversial part was just said right away without proper explanation. I kinda felt it was one sided story.
Vivek Tejuja
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not a fan of some ideologies of Mrs. Indira Gandhi and yet I find her life extremely intriguing and to a very large extent, am in awe of her for sure. I guess it has a lot to do with being told stories from her life as we were growing up. She was almost an idol then, till of course, we made our way into the world and got to know her political aspirations and the means she sometimes used to achieve them. However, that is not what I should be talking about right now.

Right now, I want to talk
Sahil Pradhan
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This spellbinding biographical portrait of Indira Gandhi excavates both the iron lady and the flesh-and-blood woman. Devapriya Roy looks for answers to lingering questions: from Indira’s religious politics to Sanjay Gandhi’s strange grip over her. From the era and happenings in 0other countries during the start of Indira's rule to her declaration of emergency.
history and biographies are a critical subject and more critical are it's retelling as if you do not know the tale properly and cannot na
Arvind
This is a good graphic novel especially as an introduction to Indira Gandhi or for teenagers. The author succeeded in bringing out her humanity. And so, despite my opinion that she has been India's worst PM, I was able to feel some empathy. Her entire life, her childhood, marriage, and her years as a leader are well-covered. As well as they can be in a short graphic novel.
Having said that, I would call the author a Indira-Bhakt. What defines a bhakt ? To whom the (supposed) intentions of Indiraj
David Antoš
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
+ Nice drawings.
- Absurdly one-sided, all problematic parts of Indira Gandhi's career were just explained away.
- The parallel girl story didn't add anything.
Gautam Chintamani
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
There is no doubt that despite being a graphic novel, a genre that often gets brushed aside as ‘not the kinds to be taken seriously’, Indira is also a historical account and should be looked at as a biography. Mrs Indira Gandhi’s birth centenary, 2017, saw a spate of books that besides re-examining one of India’s tallest political leaders also tried to reinterpret her in the context of contemporary times. While some tried to reinstate her as India’s most authoritative Prime Minister, some made a ...more
mentalexotica
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Laveena Behl
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is an amazing concoction of engaging illustrations & breezy prose. What I like about the book is, it has kept all the political biases at bay, which is something difficult to preserve. The book is not about Indira Gandhi but has been built around her, and that's the beauty of the prose. I thoroughly enjoyed it! One star extra for illustrations :)
Debopriyo Moulik
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book so beautifully binds the life of Indira Gandhi with her namesake in a government school. Each fights their own battles, one inspiring the other.

A must read as it is equal parts entertaining and informative.
Chittajit Mitra
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read the review on Just Another Bookaholic
Swati Agrawal
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting read, but that is pretty much it.
I like the presentation - the graphic section Indira Gandhi's story, the prose part is the current time.
aquiverofwords
Beautiful illustrations and fluffy, stark writing.

A must-read.

Feb 03, 2019
Monika
Mar 04, 2018
Ajay Noria
rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2018
Dec 28, 2018
Swetha
Jun 07, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
“The very fact that there are so many unread books means there is so much happiness in the future that we have not yet tasted.” 0 likes