Start by marking “Vietnam Black” as Want to Read:
Vietnam Black

Vietnam Black

Tasked with finding a US informant who has gone missing in the village of Hai Trang, Sergeant Reese and Corporal Hanson lead their squad off into the Vietnamese jungle, but it isn't long before they get the sense that there's something different about this mission. They find Viet Cong corpses along the path, strangely mummified or desiccated, and the village of Hai Trang i ...more
Published February 2nd 2018 by Severed Press

To ask other readers questions about Vietnam Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vietnam Black

Bradley
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-shelf, horror
Think you've seen all the horrors that Vietnam can bring?

THINK AGAIN.

Let's run through the jungle with an enormous centipede monster interfering with our peaceful little war. Damn insect.

Can we call some air support, please?

This novella is pretty okay. Good parts and better parts. Lots of bloody fleshbags with nametags. Oh, war. War never changes.
Trish
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second monster book I've read by this author and, once again, I was not disappointed.

As the title suggests, the story takes place during the Vietnam War, when a group of Grunts is sent on a S&R mission. While walking through the jungle and trying not to get killed by Vietkong agents, they stumble across ... well, just look at the cover.
The rest is a mad dash through the thicket while being chased by a gigantic centepede.

I must say that I love animals. Yes, even the "icky" ones m
Paul E. Morph
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is Brad Harmer-Barnes' third B-movie creature-feature and it's my favourite so far. This won't appeal to everyone; it doesn't have pretensions of erudition and it wears its influences proudly on its sleeve (or dust jacket); but for die hard lovers of great late night schlock horror like myself, it's bloody gold dust, mate!

As the title suggests, we're in Vietnam during the war, accompanying a bunch of grunts on a search and rescue mission that isn't expected to be combat-heavy. Needless to s
Dennis
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, favorites
Probably the most fun book I’ve read this Spooktober (though we’re not fully done yet).

A small squad is sent on a search and rescue mission in the Vietnamese jungle after contact to a local informant is lost.

On their way to the village where the informant is supposed to live they come across an odd looking corpse that is drained of its entrails and with almost no blood showing.

The village is full of dead bodies as well and some of the soldiers start to question more and more if it’s even possibl
Glenn Rolfe
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading this author. In his bio, it says he loves '50's creature-features and 80's action movies, VIETNAM BLACK is the perfect blend of each.
A group is sent off to check out a small village and stumble upon a death scene that seems impossible. Bodies and body parts of the villagers are everywhere, but the dead are drained of blood.

Once they discover that it's not the Viet Cong's doing, they are going to wish they'd been so lucky.

Overall, Vietnam stories and movies always
Carcosan
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vietnam bughunt that's totally unashamed of what it is: schlocky and fun. Closing chapter was perfect. Sometimes you need books like this.
Matt Doyle
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Background: Brad Harmer-Barnes is a British horror author. Outside novels, he both runs the Suppressing Fire pulp gaming blog and hosts Brick Fury on the site’s YouTube channel. He is a founding member and contributor to the nostalgia tinged geeky blog site, Emotionally Fourteen, and is a regular guest on their The Crazy Train podcast. Oh, and he’s also a former stand-up comic that ran the Rock N Rant comedy club in his local area.

Vietnam Black is Brad’s third novella and was released by Severed
Midas68
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Vietnam and Horror so this was up my alley. It's fun with a few silly/sloppy bits but not taking itself to seriously allows one to overlook the Shindigglers and enjoy it.

3 starry nights.
Anthony S. Della Donna
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great giant bug book!

Good characters, great monster. Great atmosphere to set up an is vs. it encounter. If you like using and other large beast novels, you will enjoy this book.
Sean E Britten
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A threeway mashup between US soldiers, Vietcong and a giant centipede from the bowels of the earth, Vietnam Black absolutely exceeded expectations. As a lover of Vietnam movies and the old school creature features this story was so clearly influenced by, I massively enjoyed this book. It felt a little stalled to start but once the centipede appears the action does not let up. The writing is beautifully cinematic. The story and characters are uncomplicated but full of well-researched touches (lik ...more
John R. Dailey Jr.
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
CREEPY CRAWLERS IN NAM IT IS...

Hello, this story was just okay. It was there and I read it. No characters of note. The story was kinda flat. It was not bad but it was not good either. Thanks.
Neil Thayne
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review pending
kevin clark
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read, full of action and monster mayhem, but is let down by a strong ending that fizzles out.
Sheri Jacob Mueller
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it...kept my interest from the very beginning all the way to the end!
Marlen
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Hey, this was better than expected. I really had fun reading this novel. The ending is awesome and the suspense is pretty cool all the way through. I love the setting and the atmosphere, only the language seems a bit soft to me, considering those are a bunch of soldiers hip deep in shit.
Anyway, great read and pretty short.
Andrew Ferguson
Feb 24, 2018
robert mcbride
Jun 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Brad Harmer-Barnes is a British horror author who grew up watching 1950s “creature feature” movies and 1980s action and slasher movies, as well as reading H.P. Lovecraft, M.R. James, Stephen King, Brian Lumley and Clive Barker.

Outside of writing, he enjoys tabletop and video gaming, collecting obscure soundtracks on vinyl, and trying to get through as much of his “To Read” pile as is possible.

Yo