Start by marking “The Athlete-Student: Freshman Year” as Want to Read:
The Athlete-Student: Freshman Year

The Athlete-Student: Freshman Year

High school senior Michael “Tootie” Mayberry has a
dream of becoming a professional football player—but he faces one obstacle, COLLEGE.

Over 480,000 student-athletes like Michael “Tootie” Mayberry want to play professionally, but less than 3.5% will. They train hard, planting and watering the mental seed that tells them they will reach the pinnacle of their sport. In the
Published February 1st 2018 by Holloman House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Athlete-Student, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Athlete-Student

Start your review of The Athlete-Student: Freshman Year
Roxanne Oduro
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Eugene Holloman sent me a copy of The Athlete Student: Freshman Year to read and review. I was so happy and honoured to!

The story follows Michael (aka Tootie), a star football player at his high school who has one goal in mind: to become an all-star football player. Tootie gets the opportunity to follow his dreams, however, pursuing his dreams also come with consequences, both good and bad.

What I liked about the novel was Tootie’s passion and the fact he was sure in what he wanted to do with his
zakkiyya shakir
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read, 5 stars!!!!!

The author has provided a realistic depiction of the average experience for most collegiate football players. Many football players aspire to play professionally but only a handful actually male it. This book is not only great for children and adolescents but it is also good for parents with student-athletes of their own.
Avid Reader
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You may think you know the life of a D1 college football player based on stereotypes and misconceptions but not until you read the athlete-student. I enjoyed this read, from start to finish and appreciated his story and the emotions that came along with it. Initially, I wasn’t into the main character but I grew to like him as he became more vulnerable and he could shed some of his arrogance. I hope to see him open up to someone... anyone...in the next novel and find spiritual and emotional recon ...more
Pastor
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable Read

Good look behind the veil of major college athletic pressures. Short book. Ended rather abruptly for me. Left me wanting more which I suspect is a good thing. As a JMU grad, I wanted THAT story. Lots of typos in the Kindle edition which I lay at the feet of the editor(s). Recommended especially for the budding college athlete.
Marcus Skipper
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read

Great book good from start to finish it’s a must read for student athletes can’t wait for next book to drop
Deshawn Jones
John McCoy
May 23, 2020

• The Mixer: The Story of Premier League Tactics, from Route One to False Nines
  • Kindle User's Guide, 6th Edition
  • The Sand Dollar Inn (Manatee Bay Book 1)
  • The Young Champion's Mind: How to Think, Train, and Thrive Like an Elite Athlete
  • Autobiography
  • Breakaway: Beyond the Goal
  • The Mamba Mentality: How I Play
  • Braced
  • Hope Solo: My Story
  • The Girls of Summer: The U.S. Women's Soccer Team and How It Changed the World
  • Soccerland
  • Under the Lights and in the Dark: Untold Stories of Women's Soccer
  • Chase Your Dreams: How Soccer Taught Me Strength, Perseverance, and Leadership
  • The Keeper: The Unguarded Story of Tim Howard Young Readers' Edition UNA
  • Going for the Record
  • Go For the Goal: A Champion's Guide To Winning In Soccer And Life
  • Courage to Soar: A Body in Motion, a Life in Balance
  • When Nobody Was Watching: My Hard-Fought Journey to the Top of the Soccer World

News & Interviews