Start by marking “The Rose and the Mask: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling” as Want to Read:
The Rose and the Mask: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling

The Rose and the Mask: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling

(Glass and Roses #1)

A thieving beauty. A glass rose. A monstrous curse. Among the glittering masks of Venice, is anything quite what it seems?

Faustina is a beauty and a thief, not necessarily in that order. She doesn't believe in magic, just luck, and hers has run out. The last thing she needs is to get roped into a ridiculous revenge plot by her brother--especially when that brother is
Kindle Edition
Published February 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Rose and the Mask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose and the Mask

Start your review of The Rose and the Mask: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling
mith
This was such a cute retelling of Beauty and the Beast! I'll admit, this was definitely a spontaneous read, and I'd never even heard of the book, but nevertheless, I'm so glad I read it! It was a fun and a rather unique tale that makes The Rose and the Mask stand out from other retellings! I'm eagerly awaiting the companion novel!
Debbie
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully creative and nicely written approach to Beauty and the Beast set in 18th century Venice, Italy. The magic in the story has very strict rules (which the reader only gradually learns) and provides many of the surprises.

The Beauty, Faustina Casanova, is actually an accomplished thief, as we learn in the very first scene. She narrowly escapes being caught while robbing a home. A bracelet that she snags as part of her loot catches her fancy, and she wears it. This leads to a
Lara Mi

A change doesn't have to be a loss. Different doesn't have to be bad.

Faustina makes a living of thievery - and having Giacomo Casanova for a brother doesn't make life any easier. After one particularly humiliating game of cards, Faustina finds herself entangled in her brother's scheme of revenge where she ends up stranded on an island with the intent of robbing its sole inhabitant, Benedetto Belini. But Benedetto does not intend to let her go - with or without any of his valuables. Never
Fafa's Book Corner
DNF

Mini review:

This book was recommended to me by my dear GR friend Cookie ! Click on her name to read her review.

Once I saw Cookie's review I knew I had to give this a go! Before I decided to buy it I downloaded the Kindle sample. It was a interesting but a bit meh at the same time. And after a few days I actually forgot about this book. Ultimately I lost interest in this book.

I do still recommend it because it does seem like an interesting retelling.
Jess (freaks over books)
Hailee (haibooklovers)
Actual Rating: 3.5/5

I thought the setting in Venice was delightful and I loved the characters.

The ending fell apart a bit for me - can't put my finger on exactly why.

Still a lovely Beauty and the Beast retelling!
Tushmit
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy fairytale (esp Beauty&theBeast) retellings, YA romances, historical romances
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. Ive followed this book over the course of various development on the authors blog, and Ill be honest, that does color my opinion of this book; but for the purposes of this review, Ill try to stick to an outline of what I think makes this book unique from others in its genre.

This is one of those fairy-tale retellings, which might be a genre of its own. As far as what kind of fairy-tale retelling this is, I suppose you could
Sophie
One of the better fairytale retellings I've read recently (they seem to be everywhere!)

Set in Venice this follows Benedetto and Faustina as they break the curse. I thought the characters were believable, if not completely rounded out and compelling.

Would certainly consider reading the next book in the series
Hannah
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet retelling with an interesting twist.
And all the characters were intriguing and great?? Which is a very rare thing to say.
Sydney (booksofkings)
The Rose and the Mask was a pleasant unexpected discovery today. I got on Goodreads to just check updates and here was someone interested in reading a Beauty and the Beast retelling I hadn't heard of. And the e-book was just a couple dollars. so I thougt why not. WHat then happened was a very delighful and different retelling of Beauty and the Beast that I ended up reading in a day.

One of the lovely and unique aspects of this retelling is that it is set in Venice and all the names are much more
Gemma McLaughlin
Favourite Quote: The masks had become a habit, a part of him, and now he felt naked without one.

Synopsis

Faustina Casanova found herself once again down on her luck, always striving to pay rent in her current boarding house, resorting to stealing was the only was to keep a roof over her head after her grandmother died. Faustina has a rule though, only steal from those who dont need it, she would never take from someone who has nothing. When her brother, Giacomo, returns to Venice asking for
Aleena
This might be my favorite Beauty and the Beast retelling I've read so far. (I've read a few.)

There's witty dialogue, an enchanting Venetian Carnivale setting, and subtle twists on the story we know-- and very believable relationship development, which is what so many retellings get tripped up on. Loved it :)
Rosemarie
This is a very unusual retelling of the Beauty & the Beast story that does not strictly follow the traditional plot line. What really intrigued me is the setting: it is 1752, Venice, during Carnevale Season - what a wonderfully exotic and romantic setting for Beauty & the Beast!

Faustina is the Beauty - and also a petty thief. What better time to practice her trade than during Carnevale when most residents of Venice wear masks all the time? After narrowly escaping a lavish party with some
Camille
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love fairy tale retellings, especially ones of my favorite fairy tale Beauty and the Beast. The Rose and the Mask was a unique spin on it in that it took place in historic 18th century Venice with a dash of magic. The setting really comes to life through lush descriptions of the Carnevale, the Italian architecture, the bustling canals, and especially the Italian island garden.

Despite being well-written and reading about the thieving exploits of our heroine Faustina, mistaken identity, and the
Rebekah
"And, if I may say, the lower part of your face, at least, is very attractive. What a charmingly specific compliment.

Alternate telling of Beauty and the Beast set in eighteenth-century Venice.

"Faustina was no stranger to attraction. She had been drawn to plenty of people in the past, with consequences ranging from the mediocre to the heart-breaking, but alwayswell, with her eyes open. That was what this was like. Falling in love with my eyes closed."

Faustina's meets Benedetto and then are forced
Luisa Lee
Jun 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'll link to my review on Tumblr but to summarize, this book is more of a reimagining and a poor one at that. The majority of the book was bland and boring but the end undoes everything the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale accompleshis. Their characters didn't even resemble the archetypes for Belle and Beast's characters in any faithful iteration. It also painted Casanova in a better light than history does; his addition to the story was useless even though he was the catalyst for half the ...more
Nadine
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What an awesome read!!!

The Rose and the Mask - A Beauty and the Beast Retelling

How can I feel sympathy for a thief? Yet I found myself rooting for Faustina. She doesnt believe in magic and curses, but little does she know! Dont expect a Disney-Belle-like character. Faustina is a thief, shes fierce, sarcastic, and very different. And that is what a good fairytale retelling should be, I think. Different than the classic story we all know. An original take on one of my most favorite fairytales.
Melinda Wilson
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rather enjoyed this retelling. In fact, I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I've read a few retellings and didn't expect this to be much more than a quick read of an old favorite story. But it was really lovely.

It was a nice change to have Beauty and the Beast set in Venice where masks and magic seem the perfect combination. I particularly enjoyed the descriptive writing style employed by the author. I also liked the changes to the traditional plot, particularly for this setting. I
Miranda
3 stars = pretty enjoyable, probably won't read again. Overall, this isn't a bad Beauty and the Beast retelling. I can't say it particularly stands out among the 28 other novel-length retelling I've read, but in a way that's good, because the worst ones stand out, too. This is a good story for a quick beach read or a palate cleanser if you've been reading tearjerkers.

It's definitely the only B&tB retelling I've read set in Venice, but I felt like I wanted to learn more about how magic works
Angelina
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So, this is what you feel like. He said it reverently, as though he had just found out some wonderful, beautiful secret. One of the tears spilled over a lower eyelid and trickled out of sight behind the mask.
This is what I feel like, she replied, and she realised that she was crying too.

this is one of the most beautifully written beauty and the beast retellings i have ever read. faustina and benedetto's relationship development was so well done and so beautiful and the quote copied and pasted
Skye Hegyes
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I loved this version of "Beauty and the Beast". It was a beautiful world that was developed and it played out rather well. I liked best how the curse was started because of our two main characters meeting each other for the first time. Of course, it was a case of mistaken identity, but the deed was done, and the story set into motion by their actions. Their meeting again a couple of years later wasn't just a swell coincidence, it was almost as if it was planned even though that it wasn't.
Katie
* Received a free copy from Hidden Gems in exchange for an honest review *

I love fairytales and Venice. I've never been to Venice but several of my favourite books are set there and I think the city is amazing so this book was right up my street. It is a very original retelling of Beauty and the Beast and I thought that the way magic worked was interesting, to say the least.

However, I do think that if an author is going to use real historical personages they ought to stick as close to the truth
Hannah Walker
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cute-book
It was... good

I really liked this story. The author had seemingly had done her research and in toe had created a beautiful masterpiece. My only problem was that some of the scenes in the book seemed a little forced. Other than that i would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good fairy-tale retelling.
Emi
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. It was a little forced and could have been better developed. A quick and easy read all the same. But nothing exceptionally innovative. The dialogue struggled a little bit between the characters and some of the scenes felt too contrived.
Carol
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy retelling's of beauty and the beast and even as I enjoyed a lot of the story line itself I found the characters a little stale all in all it was not bad an I think I would have enjoyed it more if it had been shorter so it didn't drag so much.
Karen
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! This book has been on my to-be-read list for ages. I loved it! Fortunately, I had the next book immediately available and got to read them both in one go. I may have stayed up too late reading, but it was too good to stop.
Erika
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute take in the Beauty and the Beast tale and the cover couldnt be more beautiful! Easy, fun, light read(just what I needed after two books dealing with WWII), fun characters and sets you up for the next book in the series. ...more
The Countess of Bookton
A Venetian retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I really liked the story and the romance between Benedetto and Faustina but I would have liked more romance and a waltz scene between them. Its Italy and Venice after all, isnt it? ...more
Maria Drago
I loved this! It's actually really unique, and seems so different from the usual YA books, yet it's not a ridiculously smutty adult novel. It's just a chill, romantic story with a beautiful setting and some really creative ideas. Definitely recommend!
Britt
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It was an original take on the story and I really liked the use of actual historical figures.
Casanova and Real Fake Magic 1 1 Nov 14, 2017 09:35AM

• Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Traitor's Masque (Andari Chronicles, #1)
  • A Crown of Snow and Ice: A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • Cinderella and the Colonel (Timeless Fairy Tales, #3)
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Timeless Fairy Tales, #4)
  • The Little Selkie (Timeless Fairy Tales, #5)
  • A Tale of Beauty and Beast: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • Snow White (Timeless Fairy Tales, #11)
  • A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • Royal Magic (The Elves of Lessa, #2)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses  (Timeless Fairy Tales, #10)
  • Beauty and the Beast (Once Upon a Spell, #1)
  • The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty (The Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • A Goose Girl (Entwined Tales, #1)
  • The Frog Prince (Timeless Fairy Tales, #9)
  • A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles, #2)
  • The Princess Search: A Retelling of The Ugly Duckling (The Four Kingdoms, #5)
Victoria Leybourne was born in England but grew up in an assortment of fantasy worlds, and wanted to be either a writer or a Disney princess when she grew up. Shes pretty happy with the way things have turned out, although she still tries her luck singing to woodland creatures now and then, just in case they feel like washing her dishes.

To claim an exclusive free royal romance novella, sign up to

Glass and Roses (2 books)
  • The Murano Glass Slipper: A Cinderella Retelling