Start by marking “A Century Is Not Enough: My Roller-coaster Ride to Success” as Want to Read:
A Century Is Not Enough: My Roller-coaster Ride to Success

A Century Is Not Enough: My Roller-coaster Ride to Success

Sourav Ganguly's life has been full of highs and lows. Arguably India's greatest cricket captain, he gave confidence to the team, re-energized them and took India, for the first time, to spectacular overseas victories. But Ganguly's story also came with great challenges - from his early days where he had to wait four long years before being included in the team to the ugly ...more
Published February 24th 2018 by Juggernaut

To ask other readers questions about A Century Is Not Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Century Is Not Enough

Bhavesh Bhimani
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Book Review: 'A Century is Not Enough' by Sourav Ganguly

An unstructured, ordinarily written, patchy and disappointing read.

I won’t say I had high expectations from Sourav Ganguly’s autobiography. Having followed his career minutely and observed him as a cricketer, I knew what the tone of the book would be like. But I was still interested in it as I was once a huge Ganguly fan.

Autobiographies of Indian cricketers haven’t really been great of late, including Sachin Tendulkar’s ‘Playing It My way
Shalin Bhatt
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this memoir (on the first day of its release) because I expected Ganguly to be candid - and he didn't disappoint. The book's narrative style is conversational and was engaging enough for me to finish it in one reading session. This autobiography isn't an end-to-end description of his personal life and focuses instead on the key episodes in his life that are likely to interest readers more (e.g. Greg Chappell, comeback to Indian team etc). Consequently, the book ends up deflecting other cric ...more
Srinidhi Devanathan
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A devotee of God, a fan of the wall but a subject in the Maharaj's kingdom means this one gets 5 *. Waves of nostalgia washed over me as I turned the pages. It felt like reading descriptions on a series of motion posters because I could clearly see the images in mind - of the shots that he describes, the flagging of the T-shirts at Lord's, the infamous chat on the field with Dravid and Chappell etc. Enjoyed reading it 😊
Vishaal
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Another Indian cricket legend's autobiography, and another wikipedia-ish pile of what-you-already-know-too-well.

Sourav Ganguly's A Century is not enough falls flat on its face. Especially given how Ganguly was known for being in your face.

Large swathes of the book read like self-help sessions that are going around in circles, while the cricketing part, and the little that surrounds it, is without substance. The book centres mostly around the struggles Ganguly faced during his 18 year cricketin
Prathamesh Deshpande
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating - I find it unfair to rate autobiographies. I mean how can we rate how a person has lived their life

At the outset, this book was purely picked up by me because I am a crazy supporter of Dada.. I use the word supporter because I always used to believe that he deserved to make a come back and treated better than the way he was treated by people around him.

This book is really well written. You can see that the support author has kept his role to a minimal, which is not what I felt when I rea
Ekita Parmar
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great read for Cricket and Sourav Ganguly Fans.. His Nostalgic memoir will take you down a memory lane.. Remind you of all those wins and losses you shared with your family and friends..

The book is an uputdownable page turner.. The writing is frank, conversational and engaging.. Sourav Ganguly has written without mincing his words.. He has shared some chuckle-worthy anecdotes from dressing room..

In short, Indian Cricket Fans shouldn't miss it..
Arvind
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports-arts
I was really looking forward to Ganguly’s autobiography. And what a coincidence, I read it just after Manjrekar’s autobiography whose exit coincided exactly with Ganguly’s entry.
I started watching cricket in 1991 with SAF’s re-entry into world cricket and India’s disastrous tour of Australia. We were terrible away from home and an away test win (even in Zim) was beyond imagination. Infact even at home, we used to host top teams once a decade on rank turners. And also, very frustratingly, our rec
Arcopol Chaudhuri
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
'Çonfidence is the only cologne you can wear in the dressing room', 'Darkness always has an expiry date' are some of the Dada-isms that stayed with me at the end of this book. There is a lot of motivational stuff here -- especially for those looking at making at comebacks, not just on the field, but also in life. Some of it is very generic, and some quite contextual.

A Century is Not Enough is a quick read -- covers a large part of Ganguly's career, especially the important developments in his vi
Addy
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Sourav Ganguly - "Prince of Kolkata"(in Geoff Boycott's accent) , Sourav "Man of the match Ganguly", "Maharaj" , The ultimate comeback King, "God on the offside"- Dada could give Apollo Creed a run for his money when it comes to the number of names he was known by. For me, he was quite simply the best Indian Captain ever who instilled a winning mentality , self belief and killer instinct into the team.

The book is exactly what I expected it to be - Straightforward, insightful, unforgiving and mo
Manish
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay. I, much like a lot of other people, am a self-professed uber fan of Sourav Ganguly. And the fan in me wanted to give a 5-star rating to this book; the avid reader (again, self-professed) in me, a 3. The haggler in me has settled for a 4.
The goods? It is Sourav Ganguly's memoir of his professional career. The highs, the lows, the good, bad and ugly. It is all here. An illustrious career played out in constant media glare is recounted in vivid detail, replete with the great man's thinking at
Pushkar
Mar 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't know why this memoir was written, maybe some propaganda issues...This book is far from honesty and truth.I don't want to continue this review, my cholesterol level is quite high right now after reading this book.Period.
Parth Arora
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I was drawn towards this book because I have always been fascinated with Dada's roller coaster cricketing career. However, I was mildly disappointed- the predominant reason being that this book completely ignores some very key chapters in the Indian cricketing era like Match fixing and its influence on Indian cricket, the infighting between cricketers which was partly responsible for the 2007 world cup exit etc. Instead, the autobiography turned out to be a decent attempt at painting Dada as a g ...more
John A
A quick read whose central theme can pretty much be summed up as 'Never give up, no matter what'. The book however fell slightly below my expectations in that it hardly gave the time to dwell enough on any of the goosebumpy incidents, be it the era defining Kolkata test, the Natwest Trophy final, the 2003 World Cup run, the Adelaide test... The memoir was more about how Ganguly always had to fight for his place, for his players, for proving himself repeatedly, and how the various setbacks he fac ...more
Monish Uday
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is purely fa cricket fans, others don’t give a try. Dada talked only Abu the life b/w the 22 yards. It’s seriously emotionally draining at times to read the kinda hardships he went through to break the cricket politics & stage a come back. Nothing came easily on the plate of king of comebacks. From Indian captain to go a downhill in life & treated as an ordinary player who need to score runs in Ranji Trophies to impress selectors shows everything is temporary in life. A big sal ...more
Kishore Krishnamoorthy
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sourav Chandidas Ganguly, aka Dada is one of the most celebrated cricketer in India. Reading this book about him will give you a lot of goosebump moments if you’ve seen him play. The Lords balcony moment is one of the best, I would say. And the next saga is Dada vs Chappell aka Captain vs Coach. Every single moment can be celebrated by us, the ardent cricket fans. As the title says, Dada won’t be content with just century. Such is his legacy. Sourav Ganguly - India’s Best Captain is the popular ...more
Vishal Jha
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book by the great indian cricketer describing his journey from his debut for india to leading the team to world cup final, from a nationwide loved cricketer to being excluded from the team even after scoring huge runs.

This book not only tells the story of Sourav ganguly's career but also tries to give important life lessons to the readers in a way that the reader is always engrossed in the book and the book might also help him in his life in some way.
This was a great read, i totally loved rea
Pratibha Rohal
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was really looking forward to read uncensored account of life events of my childhood hero, and this book left me wanting for more. I wish it had some more inside events of his life but it turned out very generic. Still it was a thoroughly enjoyable read which took me down the memory lane and strike that chord of nostalgia with rewinding to all those golden days of Indian Cricket.
Four Stars just or the love of Dada!!
Shubham Pudke
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read book. This book teaches the role of leader in any kind of team, be it a any game or any job, how leader's attitude towards game or player changes the equation and even with a lot of success in your bag, some situations will hit you very hard and suddenly your success become a story of past and then your come back will only depends on how you handles the situation. Title says it all.. Hats off to the a legend, a CAPTAIN. Dada _/\_
Sawan
Jul 21, 2018 added it
The book gives a peep into the mind of Sourav the cricketer. It's all about who were with him in his journey and who were against. It mostly touches upon his individual contributions and does not talk about Indian cricket as a whole. Read it if you love the man, but ignore if you don't care.
Shivji Kumar jha
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read overall (4.5 maybe). Towards the last couple of chapters I sort of found it a bit boring but completed the book nonetheless. If you have followed Ganguly, you will find this a very Ganguly-esque book. You will actually visualise Ganguly saying these in an interview. Its that close.

The good parts of the book are the feelings Ganguly shares along the way, the feeling of being selected for the India team for the first time, the shy, vulnerable Ganguly with the feelings of anxiety, the
Saurabh
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Book is very engrossing and easy to read. However, for a cricket fan there is not much written in the book which was not already public. The book gives some important lessons on how to deal with rejection and come back.
Nirav Mehta
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very very disappointing. This is yet another mediocre biography, in the ‘lets-compile-a-chronological-narrative-around-the-playing-career’ format masquerading as an autobiography.

The Sachin autobiography was also in a similar format, but I expected Sourav’s to be a lot more insightful and engaging. Unfortunately, it looks like little effort or insight from the player went into it beyond providing the facts and some anecdotes.

This gets 2 stars instead of zero because:
(1) I could finish the book
Siddhartha
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is not just a memoir but also a self-help guide book. In almost every page, Sourav has tried to inspire his readers by sharing his own life's experiences. While starting to read, i thought of highlighting the lines with a marker, which i felt would inspire me in future, when i will be going through a bad phase. After finishing reading few pages, i realized that i would end up highlighting almost the entire book.
There is no denying or its not any secret that Sourav is considered as destiny's
Srivatsan V
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A page turner and a fascinating autobiography of ex Captain Sourav Ganguly. an insightful book on his journey as a cricketer and his success and struggles in cricket. worth reading. after hitting centuries in test debut, Dada hits another debut century this time in the field of writing
Ayush Kumar
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A natural point of comparison is Tendulkar's autobiography 'Playing It My Way', which is the 2007 World Cup of autobiographies (the 2007 World Cup sucked). In comparison, Dada's work is frank, conversational, and a deeply personal glimpse into one of India's most complex minds.
I give it 4 stars because of the squandered potential - The occasionally clunky writing and the unnecessary urge to race through important events rather than flesh them out a little, makes me hope that in the years to com
Pushpak Chatterjee
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is much like the person whom I have seen playing in television from his debut test against England.The book is simple yet inspiring and with a chain of events written very simply.You can get a peep inside the mind of one of the most successful captains India has ever produced.On the negative side I hoped that he would be more open while dealing with controversies and his differences with all.As example he has chosen Chappel and Buchanan and what he felt about them but he is all praise ...more
Anoop Balachandran
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book and an easy read. But there are so many gaps in the narration. The focus is primarily on the many crises that Dada had in his career. The book is also motivational. However do not pick up this one hoping to get a comprehensive look into the legend's life, professional and personal.
Aditya Kulkarni
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable book, the autobiography of one of my most favourite cricketers and arguably the greatest captain Indian team has ever had. I finished reading this book in less than a week. It felt like a flashback of sorts as it took me back to the time when I was very passionate about cricket. If you loved the Indian cricket team of the 1990s and the 2000s, then you'll love this autobiography of Sourav Ganguly.
Akshy
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I read the book, I had Dada's voice narrating the entire text in my mind. There was so much of Ganguly-only things here. When I read Sachin's autobiography, I was left terribly disappointed and then I thought if someone from the Golden era of Indian cricket must be writing a memoir, it must be Sourav. In that aspect, the book turns out to be candid and puts things in simpler perspectives. It was also a nostalgic drive back to the days when the transformation of Indian cricket started. Ganguly ...more
Anal Ghosh
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one autobiography that I have been waiting for a long time - not only as a fan but for the tumultuous and eventful career that Dada had. Right from the forgettable debut in Australia, his career had always been under scrutiny and experienced peaks & throughs like no one else's. And controversies abounded. That's what he focuses on in this componentized autobiography, which covers the major chapters (debut, Lord's, Toronto, captaincy, Natwest, Australia rivalry, Greg Chappell, the ep ...more
  • Harbart
  • The Great Hedge of India: The Search for the Living Barrier that Divided a People
  • Rahul Dravid: Timeless Steel
  • The Collaborator
  • Black Tornado: The Military Operations of 26/11
  • ఇదీ నా గొడవ (Idee naa godava)
  • ಹುಚ್ಚು ಮನಸಿನ ಹತ್ತು ಮುಖಗಳು | Huchchu Manassina Hattu mukhagalu