Start by marking “The Devil's Thief (The Last Magician, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Thief (The Last Magician, #2)

The Devil's Thief

(The Last Magician #2)

In this spellbinding sequel to the New York Times bestselling The Last Magician, Esta and Harte set off on a cross-country chase through time to steal back the elemental stones they need to save the future of magic.

Hunt the Stones.
Beware the Thief.
Avenge the Past.

Esta’s parents were murdered. Her life was stolen. And everything she knew about magic was a lie. She thought t
Published October 9th 2018 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Thief, please sign up.

Ashley Nuckles
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap. HOOOLLYYYY CRAP. I have no words. I am in love and horrified at the same time, and I don’t know which is worse. If you haven’t heard it from me yet, please pick up this series. It. Is. Amazing.
Beatrice in Bookland
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
"Anger and sadness and destruction and chaos was her song, and Esta was the melody she sang to. She would rip apart the world."

1) The last magician ★★★★★

why did you do this to me lisa, I deserved an amazing sequel, not this
Cesar
Feb 18, 2018 marked it as to-read
We got a title! FUCK YEAH!!!

And that cover!

description
ellie ♡
Mar 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-to-read
*grabby hands*

boy this is now my most anticipated release for this year!
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Devil's Thief
Series: The Last Magician #2
Author: Lisa Maxwell
Release date: October 9, 2018
Cliffhanger: Yes

At her side stood the Magician. Once he had been her enemy. Always he had been her equal. Now he was her ally, and she had risked every thing to come back for him.

After reading and loving The Last Magician this year, I couldn't have been more excited about getting an arc of the second in the series. Book one ends in quite the cliffhanger, so obviously I was eager and excited to
Alexa
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
THE DEVIL’S THIEF is such a strong follow-up to its predecessor! It takes the world of magic and corruption and science and secrets, and just throws us right into a story where the stakes just keep on getting higher. Once again, it’s a very immersive story and it really requires a reader to just sit and be reading this book with their full attention — and the pace is still slow and steady. But it’s so well-plotted and well-written and I need the next one!
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Mar 19, 2019 marked it as dnf
Shelves: i-own
RIP this book.

I tried.

And it's going to be a big no for me......for now anyways.
The first book was really great and this book just took a fricking 180 turnaround into mess and I'm not feeling it. At all. Well, actually it's not too bad, honestly. But really this book could be so much shorter.. Like waaaaay shorter.

I get the POVs of 6+ characters and I don't really see a point in reading all of them. Instead we're getting their POVs and I don't really care for any of them aside maybe two chara
Rae
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Devil's Thief by Lisa Maxwell picks up where The Last Magician left off. Now that Esta has traveled back in time to save Harte, the two of them work together to find the scattered elemental stones. Can they find them before the Order does?

I really enjoyed this beast of a book! It was beautifully written, featuring rich world building and life-like characters. While the sheer amount of details made the plot drag at times, I still loved reading it!

The Devil's Thief bounces back and forth betwe
Suzanne
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is so hard for me to rate and review because I did struggle with keeping interest in it. I usually don’t have a problem with multiple POVs in books but this one just switch around a between so many and so often. I don’t think it will turn off a lot of people because it still has a great story and group of characters but I just struggled with reading and finishing it. I loved the first book so much and it had my interest from start to end so not sure why this one was such a struggle rea ...more
This was truly amazing!! The world, the characters, the intrigue and magic ... LOVED everything about it!
Sara Saif

Here’s my definition of an uroboros (a snake swallowing its own tail):
a) Something that keeps going around in circles (HA!)
b) An ENORMOUS (1388 page) waste of time

Oh. My. Beard. I am pissed, disappointed beyond measure and annoyed at how outrageously pointless this entire book is. Like, it’s a THOUSAND plus page book and it achieves nothing at the end. At least nothing it could have at easily half that size.

The plot was all over the place and yet nowhere at all. It was bloated with a shit ton o

alexandra ling
3.5/5 –

WOWOW The Devil’s Thief is a 700-page wild ride. The Last Magician was one of my favorites of last year (and maybe ever?), but for some reason this took me FOREVER to read. probably because i was really busy irl & also because it’s so big. because of that, i felt i couldn’t get into as much as i’d hoped. but i still loved it!!

some things to note:
- it gets draggy at times. i would ready chunks and feel the need to stop and do something.
- half audiobook-ed it at the end bc i really wan
Nastassja

*You can also find this review on my blog*

He might be a magician by trade, but was a con man at heart.

So, let's not beat around the bush

A fine feast of 700 pages alchemy tome. Happy Halloween to me 🎃

Magic, time travel, secret societies, love, deceit, prophets, web of secrets <---- somewhere here my head is starting to spin ----> I honestly don't know how the author is going to untangle that spider's web.

And judging by the way things have ended in book 2...

So reader, if you have not yet

Megan
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just like in Last Magician, what really shines in The Devil's Thief is the way Maxwell twines history and magic together. We get to see what our favorites are up to now that everything kind of what backward for them. Esta and Harte travel across the country and time to St. Louis during the Worlds Fair (meet me in St. Louis, Louis. Meet me at the fair) while Jian and Viola deal with the aftermath of Dolph's murder and Nibs' take over. We also get introduced to other characters, the most wonderful ...more
Amanda
Feb 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
YESSSSSSSS so excited for this one!
Melissa H
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun ride! This is a multi-POV book that moves between the years 1902 and 1904, between New York and St. Lewis, and provides a full perspective from the villains and the good guys.

It was a great second book that literally had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. After the crazy ending of the first book this picks up right afterwards and continues on.

I enjoyed the large cast of characters and you really felt like you knew them and none seemed one demential. They all had good and bad
asbah
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
*3.5 stars*

I didn't quite like it, but somehow I really enjoyed it at the same time??

I mean, there's time travel, thievery, gang drama, strong female leads, angst, and a whole lot of tension—all packed in one. There might be a few issues with this book, but Lisa Maxwell did not come to disappoint.

Let me break it down for you:

What I loved:
✽ Jianyu, Viola, and a new charact
Marta Barrales
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-need
I'm shook. Full review to come.
Noha Badawi
Feb 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
{11.10.2018}

Celebrating the release of this long awaited sequel, I did an Interview with Lisa Maxwell and it was super fun, enlightening and awesome.

Interview Link: https://thebookishword.wordpress.com/...

And definitely all the Thanks goes to Simon and Schuster for making this possible.
Samhita  {Multi Dreamer}⚔
Feb 10, 2018 is currently reading it
Shelves: fantasy-tbr
I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS
This book is one of my most anticipated releases ever and I need it ASAP. The titles for this series are amazing so far...
Glory
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
Фух, блин. Не начинайте эту книгу, если в запасе нет много-много времени. Объем приличный, и отрывалась я каждый раз со слезами на глазах. И да, это было очень круто.
RTC.
Misty
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
She did it again! What a great story with such great characters! I loved this book from beginning to end! Esta is a badass & I love her.
Austine (NovelKnight)
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was provided by the publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
After several hours and nearly 700 pages of YA fantasy goodness, I finished The Devil's Thief and immediately wanted to curse its author out for doing that to those poor characters.

Yeah, it was that good.

When I read  The Last Magician , I was blown away by the world-building and attention to detail. The Devil's Thief moves back and forth between the years 1902 and 1904. I wasn't a li
Meghan
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an advanced reader's copy due to our patrons' love for the Last Magician and like the first novel, this book was not disappointing. The adventure gets bigger and bigger for Esta, Mageus, Harte, Viola, and Jianyu. This book will not allow you to stop reading because each time you turn the page, a new twist happens and it is a real game changer just when you thought it was going one way, it goes another way. Our young adult readers truly love these types of novels and will ...more
Nicole Phoebe
Feb 24, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Kfzebdns the book cover is so beautiful AHHH
Danielle
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Devil’s Thief is the second book in the Last Magician series. The story starts off right where The Last Magician left off. Esta and Harte have made it past the brink in New York City and are headed towards St. Louis to go after the first stone that Harte sent out. Things start off in 1902, but due to events that take place on a train ride, Esta ends up moving herself and Harte into 1904. From this point on the book goes back and forth between 1902 and 1904.

During the 1902 part of the story V
Nanna
Apr 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
my god!! this book’s cover is stunning!!
Julieta Ninno
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

¡Y FINALMENTE CONSEGUÍ LEER THE DEVIL'S THIEF, la secuela de El Último Mago de Lisa Maxwell! No lo había leído antes porque quería comprarlo en físico ya que MI NOMBRE ESTÁ EN LOS AGRADECIMIENTOS de algunos ejemplares, pero no pude resistirme, así que lo leí en ebook. The Devil's Thief es de mis novelas más esperadas del año, y no me ha decepcionado para nada.

Todavía no me decido entre el primer libro o el segundo, pero creo que El Último Mago me gustó más debido a cuál es la trama y el conflict
Etienne
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
God did I try with this series... but I can’t appreciate it and I’m not sure why cause when you look at it, it has everything to make a great book, but the ingredient just don’t blend together. The writing is good, no problem there and the universe is interesting. The problem for me is that there’s way too many characters that we introduce then don’t speak of for 40 pages, and then bring back and it’s hard to keep track of all those third hand characters. The mix between reality (New-York) and t ...more
Nicole Alycia
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
4.5/5 stars!
This one was definitely missing what made the first book a 5 star read for me.
Overall the book was very enjoyable, fast paced, and entertaining. You see a lot of change in some characters while you see very little in others. The overall plot of the series was very well developed in this book but I thought it was unnecessarily long. There were some parts with Harte and Esta that weren’t really necessary.
I loved the ending though and couldn’t believe I didn’t make the connection soon
  • Buffy: The High School Years - Parental Parasite (Buffy: The High School Years, #3)
  • Booke of the Hidden (Booke of the Hidden #1)
  • Shatter the Suns (Last Star Burning, #2)
  • Witches in Wonderland (Wicked in Moonhaven #3)
  • Winterdream
  • The Zeppelin Deception (Stoker & Holmes, #5)
  • Free Agent
  • Clouded by Envy
  • Never-Contented Things
  • The Red Queen (Wonderland University #1)
  • Cookies, Curses, and Kisses (Blue Moon Bay, #1)
  • The Witches' Kitchen
  • White Heart (Merrydian's Gate, #1)
  • Emergence (The Infernal Guard, #1)
  • Firestarter (Timekeeper #3)
  • Checking Out
  • Weaver's Lament (Industrial Magic, #2)
  • The Rising Gold (Beyond the Red, #3)
Lisa Maxwell is the New York Times Best-Selling author of THE LAST MAGICIAN. Also of UNHOOKED, SWEET UNREST, and GATHERING DEEP. When she's not writing books, she teaches English at a local college. She lives near DC with her very patient husband and two not-so patient boys.

The Last Magician (3 books)
  • The Last Magician (The Last Magician, #1)
  • Untitled (The Last Magician, #3)
“True power was the ability to bend others to your will while they thought the bending was their own idea.” 0 likes
“They didn’t realize that peasants start every revolution, and when the peasants rise up, royal heads are the first to roll.” 0 likes