Start by marking “Herokiller: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Herokiller: A Novel

Herokiller: A Novel

“An incredible new voice in sci-fi. The kind of writer who keeps you turning the pages long into the night.”—A.G. Riddle, bestselling author of The Atlantis Gene and Pandemic

Ready Player One meets Gladiator in this high-octane thriller that mixes black-ops espionage with fight-to-the-death combat in the arena.

In the near future, the line between entertainment and brutalit
Published August 7th 2018 by Talos

To ask other readers questions about Herokiller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herokiller

Start your review of Herokiller: A Novel
Julianna
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hannah
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ARC REVIEW

Hot Damn this book!!

Every now and then I give my romance brain a rest and enjoy something non-romance, this month it was Herokiller. The blurb compares it to Ready Player One, I don't know why it's not at all like it except for the fact that it's a futuristic world where an eccentric old rich guy has done something that everyone wants to join. This dystopian world I would compare is more Running Man, Death Race 2050, and a little bit Gamer because entertainment is violence based; and
Greg
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Scott
4.5/5

I’m a sucker for books that revolve around gladiatorial competitions. From "Red Rising" to "The Hunger Games", give me your dystopian fights to the death! So, I didn’t need much encouragement to give Herokiller a try when it came out last month. It hasn’t gotten any buzz at all, which is a shame because it’s one of my favorite books of the year so far.

The year is 2035. The US stands as the world’s sole superpower after a second Cold War, this time with China, threatened to turn hot and lef
Michaela (Mickey Reads)
Thank you so much to Thomas Allen & Sons who sent me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

The only things that I can honestly say about this book is just....wow. So many wows. I finished this book almost a couple weeks ago and it's taken me this long to figure out what to say, because it was AMAZING.
I am a huge Ready Player One fan, so when I heard that this was a mixture of Gladiator and Ready Player One, I was SO here for it. Now, having read it, I can say that that is the most perfect expl
Nick Spacek
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
1/3 spy thriller, 1/3 battle-to-the-death extravaganza (the hunger games, battle royale, et al), 1/3 gladiator. it's involving, the characters are developed well, the plot's intriguing, but not too terribly out there, and tassi knows how to script a fight amazingly well.

are there a few too many twists and turns? probably, and the same could be said for the machinations of many of the characters, as they verge on comically broad at times, but the heart of the novel -- a retired agent, back for on
Rob
I had so much fun with this book. That's a bit weird to say because it was very dark, and bloody and frankly pretty grim. (view spoiler). That being said it was a "light" read for me: fast-paced, cool martial arts, likable, though deeply flawed, protagonists, and was borderline Y.A. I've been really enjoying martial arts/gladiator type near future scifi lately and this was an excellent example thereof. I look very much forward to the next ...more
Abe Musselman
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nothing special, but entertaining the whole way through. The author raises a few interesting questions about violence and mass media narratives including an ethno-nationalist angle that echoes our current political moment. However, he doesn’t explore any of these in any depth, and the book ends up as a pretty run-of-the mill YA-but-for-adults sci-fi thriller. Nothing wrong with that I guess.
David Vinther
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Awesome book that actually had an ending I didn't see coming. This book pulls no punches when it comes to the fights and how everything plays out in the end, though I wish the very end had been a little less vague. You will love who you're supposed to love and hate who you're supposed to hate.
Jake Lynch
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The concept of the story was well thought out, kept me intrigued and was hard to put down. I had some issues with the spelling mistakes and that's why I'm giving it 4 out of 5. Overall I would recommend this book to someone else.
Jason P
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Heady Look at a Possible Future America

And the lies we tell ourselves about heroes. Replete with lessons about the dangers of blind belief in heroism and media, it's a tale all young people in love with violent heroes and one sided media should read, and learn from.
Paul
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The pacing is fast and gripping, and there are some excellent twists and turns but at times the writing can't help but descend into pulp fiction. I would absolutely read a sequel, though it might be a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.
bryce d miller
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply Amazing

I loved this story. It was so much fun! It had everything! Action, love, heartache, sex, revenge and a great twist that I didn’t see coming! I hope we get a book two!
Kimberly Ellington
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I loved this story. I wanted to keep reading to find out what happened. There were little clues that made you question what was going on and when you'd find out the truth. It was a little violent, so that may turn some off, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kevin
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a fun read if you like competitions about people who have to fight to the death (Hunger Games, Battle Royale, etc). There's *some* emotional weight but this is fundamentally just a story about a guy who has to enter a deadly tournament for convoluted spy reasons. And I love deadly tournaments.
sfc
excellent cyberpunk combat trash
Jared Holloway
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Excellent, all I can say. I hope there is a sequel, and though I know it probably not in the cards, I hope Mark lives.
Faizal
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Patricia
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic characters and world-building. Loved it.
Sam
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is great. Its pretty long but never boring once. Its pretty non stop. And some of the fight scenes are so intense i had to skip ahead just to know what happens. Would recommend to any fans of Gladiator or Battle Royale, or even Heros Die cause its set in a bit of distopian future.
Ben
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cool worldbuilding and incredibly fleshed out, interesting characters
Akira Watts
Jan 02, 2020
Bryan
Jan 03, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • Rage (Rogue Team International #1)
  • Adrift
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Empire of Silence (Sun Eater, #1)
  • Sleep Over: An Oral History of the Apocalypse
  • Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Fate of the Fallen (The Shroud of Prophecy, #1)
  • Tales of the Bounty Hunters (Star Wars)
  • Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina (Star Wars)
  • Firewalkers
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
  • The Space Between the Stars