Start by marking “Cutie Pies” as Want to Read:
Cutie Pies

Cutie Pies

Joey works at Cutie Pies, the smallest adult store in Sydney. After his parents kicked him out years ago, the haphazard shop became his home away from home and is the only place where he can embrace his queer, quirky, and—okay—sometimes a little awkward self.

When Mick, a new-to-town customer, walks in asking for a dildo, Joey thinks it’s all a part of the day’s work. Excep
Published March 19th 2018 by Riptide Publishing (first published March 17th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Cutie Pies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cutie Pies

Start your review of Cutie Pies
☆ Todd
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it

This short and sweet story was fun, but it didn't totally blow me away.

Also, other than the initial two items that Mick bought at the sex shop, the premise that Joey worked at a sex shop felt pretty under-utilized.

I mean, it's a SEX SHOP , for Christ's sake! Weird shit has to happen there all the time, right? But not so much in this story.

I would have also liked a LOT more background info provided about what precisely happened between Joey and his religious, conservative family, and also mor
Melissa
A complimentary copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This story was just adorable. I can't help it: Theses guys are such Cutie Pies! 😂 Joey works at Cutie Pies, the smallest adult store in Sydney, and one day Mick walks in looking for a dildo - this is the perfect set up for a joke...or a love story.

Barbara Bell is a new author and for her debut book she certainly was able to write something original, entertaining and sweet. The opening scene sets up
Trio
Well if you're looking for a light and easy romance about two inexperienced, insecure twenty-somethings finding each other then this is the book for you.

On the surface there are all the jokes and silly moments to make this one a humor story. The wacky best friend and boss-lady, the colorful characters who come into the sex shop, the attraction between the two mc's and their youthful, bumbling attempt to get together and get past the shadows of past lovers.

However, if you dig deeper there are oth
~Kristin~
3.5 Stars

When I read the blurb, I thought this was going to be a fun story, and it really was. I think what I enjoyed the most was that while it was short it was able to convey genuine emotions. I could really buy into this chance meeting, in a sex toys shop of all places, going from a flirty encounter and evolving into something more.

Both main characters had dealt with serious issues that can make trusting someone new difficult, wondering if they were good enough, and ultimately having to dec
Ro
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable, that is the only thing I could think when I finished this book. Absolutely adorable. Joey is clerk at Cutie Pies, an adult store. It’s the perfect place for him and he has a great boss in Kate and an awesome bestie, Becca, who works with him. Joey’s family was not and is not supportive of him (mom sends him antigay books for Christmas) so Cutie Pies is the world to him.

When the shy, quiet Mick comes in to buy, of all things, a 10” dildo, things are looking up even if Joey isn’t suppos
Barb ~rede-2-read~
What a sweet story! Cutie Pies is an adult “toy” store in Sydney where Joey works with his friend Becca under the formidable owner, Kate. When a handsome new customer walks in asking for a ten-inch dildo, Joey just about trips over himself while trying to wait on him. The guy, Mick, is shy and clueless and his blush can be seen even through his dark (Aboriginal) skintone. Joey crushes on him from the get-go.

Over time, Mick’s trips become more frequent and he finally admits he has a partner, and
bianca
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-ebook, lgbt
format: ebook
rating: 5 stars

I think I might cry. This one was so cute.

Short, sweet and entertaining, Cutie Pies is exactly what you need if you are looking for a brief story with a soft gay romance and a happy ending.

The story is set in Australia; we are introduced to a guy named Joey who works in a very small and very gay sex shop. One day, a shy blushing guy with dark brown eyes named Mick walks in, and everything just kind of escalates from there.

Everything about it was perfect. There are
Riina Y.T.
I thought this was a fantastic novella - delightful, funny and hella sexy.

I found Joey super entertaining, adorably charming and I liked his narrative a lot - very endearing!

We totally clicked.

Cutie Pies was the right mix of things I like in my love stories. Their meeting was adorable, Joey was a insta-smitten mess, just like Mick. They fumble through a couple encounters before hitting it off at Mardi Gras. When they do get together they have fantastic chemistry and really liked how their rela
namericanwordcat
Mick and Joey will charm you. Joey is awkward and funny. This story takes place in the backdrop of both a sex shop and Mardi Gras in Sydney.

Mick is a bit of a mystery but we learn more and more about him as Joey and him get together.

A bit of a romp with an Aboriginal hero. Good stuff. Can't wait for more from this writer.
Lisa The Novel Approach
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
~ 3.5 Stars ~

Cutie Pies by Barbara Bell is a cute little novella that came along at just the right time for me. Having found myself unable to focus on reading anything for the past two weeks, I opened this book up on the airplane a few days ago and blessedly was able to lose myself in the easygoing romance. The backdrop of the sex shop sets up a pretty funny meet-cute between Joey and Mick, and Bell keeps the lighthearted fun going throughout most of the story. It’s tough to take yourself too s
Elley Murray
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute (and super steamy!) novella. I liked the descriptions of Joey’s great friendship with Becca, and of both of their relationship struggles. And hubba hubba, cute, hot, nerdy Mick is so adorable with his reasons for his first visit to the shop. This was a super quick, light read that was fun, but I didn’t get too emotionally involved with the characters.
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it

Cutie Pies is the first book I read by this author, I was curious as soon as I saw the cover and the title, too cute to pass on. This story was very lovely, easy and quick, especially well written. Sure, there is nothing too deep or developed in the plot, just two guys, Joey and Mick, that met in the sexy shop where Joey was working and liked each other. So they decided to see if more could begin between them. I liked how cute (absolutely the key word!) the characters were, how they wer
Apolishedreader
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute read! It is super short, but not too bad with character development considering the length of the story. The sex shop setting was really what sold me on the idea of reading this and it worked for me. Joey and Mick were endearing, with Joey's awkwardness and Mick's blushes.
I thought it was funny and easy to read with no real angst. And lots of chemistry. I enjoyed it thoroughly and I loved the end. If Bell ever does a catch up with these two I will be all over it.
Jess
Thank you to the author and Love Bytes for the opportunity to review this book.

This review was first posted to Love Bytes: LGBTQ Book Reviews. It has been slightly edited here for content.

Despite this being a setting ripe for romantic misadventure, I’ve never read a book that takes place largely in a sex shop, so I was eager to read this one. This ended up being a funny, sweet story about fumbling towards an honest, open relationship with someone way different than your normal partner.

I found my
Amanda
Oh wow this was beyond adorable! It’s pure fluff, there’s really no angst, and it made me smile pretty much the entire time. I loved Joey and Mick so much, and the supporting characters were great too.
Jules Lovestoread
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars. Very cute, angst-free read. I enjoyed this sweet story a lot. <3 Full review coming to www.thenovelapproachreviews.com ...more
Lisa
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet. 2 guys meet in a sex shop and start a relationship. No angst, lovely
Angie
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy to read and review for Wicked Reads

Let me start off by saying that it has always been my dream job to work in an adult toy store. I might just do that when I retire! This book was super fast and cute. It made me laugh and I didn't want to put it down. Joey and Mick are just adorable and my only complaint was the books ending felt rushed, I wish it was a little longer I was having so much fun reading it.
Joyfully Jay
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

This is a cute, easy story with a fun setting. Bell uses the sex shop setting to her advantage, giving the story a little bit of fun and flirtiness and allowing for a meet cute between the guys over a wall of dildos. Joey has a fun rapport with his co-workers and the interaction he has with Mick is cute and charming. There isn’t a whole lot going on here as the guys’ interaction is mostly focused on a few shop visits Mick makes, so a lot of the time we are with J
VVivacious
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars out of 5

This story is about Mick and Joey. Joey works at Cutie Pies, an adult store when Mick comes in to buy a dildo. But then, Mick comes back again and Joey starts to realise that he might have a bit of a crush on him.

But Mick is unavailable as in he has a boyfriend. Personally, on the whole, the story holds up in the moral sense but for a bit, it doesn't and that is when you don't actually know where things between Mick and his boyfriend are. Though from Joey's POV things are murk
Nina
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very fast and cute read!
The story is told solely from Joey's POV and I liked him a lot. His parents threw him out when he first came out but he sort of found a new home with his job at Cutie Pies, the overstuffed sex shop in the middle of Sydney. I also really liked Mick, the shy nerdy customer who has a surprisingly kinky side. Joey and Mick have a lot of chemistry and just click from the beginning. It could all be so easy- if it weren't for Mick's boyfriend.

The only thing I didn't like about
L.J. Hayward
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was totally sweet and adorable! It reminded me a lot of "Please Like Me" with the awkwardness and cute babbling (view spoiler). I loved the sex shop setting but was pleased when (view spoiler). I really hope we see more from Barbara Bell. ...more
Leah
This is a cute short story, but it's got a few issues that prevented me from giving it 4 stars. Read the full review on my blog. ...more
Elke
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
i was looking for something short and cute and i found this and it was... not exactly what i wanted.
i like the premise, and i liked the characters. joey and and becca are great. it's cool to see a book take place in a sex shop. there was banter and flirting. very early in, it says something about a dildo that's great for hitting whatever spot, so "it's good for whatever you've got in your pants" and i liked this a lot. made no assumptions of the gender or genitals of the buyer, nor assumptions
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
4 Stars

I absolutely loved the cover and the blurb and I couldn’t wait to dig into Cutie Pies. The book was good, but I wanted more. While I loved what I was given, I wish the author had focused more on the relationship between Joey and Mick. Because the story is told completely from Joey’s point of view, Mick remains a mystery throughout a lot of the story and his character wasn’t developed enough.

I thought Joey and Mick had great chemistry, but I wanted more on page interaction between them to
Ije the Devourer of Books
A lovely romantic novella in which Joey, who works at an adult store in Sydney, meets Mick a new customer. Mick is new in town with a long distance boyfriend. Joey quickly finds himself with a huge crush on Mick which doesn't go away. Before he knows it Joey is showing Mick around Sydney and taking him to Mardi Gras, but Mick has a boyfriend and so this cant go anywhere or can it?

This is a lovely romantic story about two guys who seem to like each other, but who are not free to explore this attr
Sakuko
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was an adorable book. I like awkward nerds, it's a weakness, and the book has two of them. Well, Joey is less of a nerd, but still totally awkward, so it counts.

The book has it's funny moments, but it's not as over the top as one might assume from the cover and the blurb. It's a fun, easy read with little angst and little drama. I liked how Joey, after trying to figure out what he had going on with Mick, just picked up the phone and asked. They are both bumbling and shy around eac
Ami

Other reviewers mention "cute" or "adorable" or "light" when describing this novella, and I agree with ALL of them. I loved the setting of the sex-toys shop, even the secondary relationship drama between Joey's colleague and their boss. Joey and Mick are likable characters, and yes, their relationship progress is CUTE.

I loved the description of the Sydney Mardi Gras too!!

I was quite uncomfortable with Mick's telling Joey that (view spoiler) though. I w
Lioness7
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Cutie Pies is a fun book to read if you like quick romances. It just didn't have quite enough storyline to keep my attention. I kept wanting to set the book down and do something else. I think that was mainly because of all the talk about sex and actual sexual encounters in such a short book.

I loved it when everyone was at Cutie Pies. The whole idea of the sex store and the different people that come into it are what attracted me to the book to start with. I even liked the dynamic between the c
EmilieSA
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.5 rounded up because it took me out of my reading slump.

It's a cute story, perfect for a fluffy few hours. I was hooked from the 1st scene because I just really like books set in sex shops and the writing style got me smiling from the start. There's no big drama, not a lot of angst, just a cute story about two men falling in love. Worth it though. It's not the best book I've read and it's not one that I think will stick with me for years to come, but it was enjoyable and I don't regret readin

• Robby Riverton: Mail Order Bride
  • Unwrapping Hank (Unwrapping Hank, #1)
  • Virtually Screwed (Love & Luck #2)
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • Why We Fight (At First Sight, #4)
  • Public Display of Everything
  • Love in Spades (Four Kings Security, #1)
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Built for Love
  • Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
  • Reaper Unexpected (Deadside Reapers, #1)
  • Reaper Uninvited (Deadside Reapers, #2)
  • Too Hot!
  • Reaper Untamed (Deadside Reapers, #3)
  • Reaper Undone (Deadside Reapers #5)
  • Reaper Unveiled (Deadside Reapers, #4)
  • Reaper Unhinged (Deadside Reapers #6)
  • Micaela's Big Bad
Barbara Bell grew up on a sheep farm in rural Australia, moved to Brisbane when she was nineteen to study film, and now lives in Sydney with an ever changing cast of housemates and a colony of bees.

She is an avid traveller, a proud geek, and loves telling stories about human relationships and how strange and silly (but also beautiful) they can be. She began writing when she was eleven years old an

News & Interviews