Start by marking “The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)

The Storm Crow

(The ​Storm Crow #1)

In the tropical kingdom of Rhodaire, magical, elemental Crows are part of every aspect of life...until the Illucian empire invades, destroying everything.

That terrible night has thrown Princess Anthia into a deep depression. Her sister Caliza is busy running the kingdom after their mother's death, but all Thia can do is think of all she has lost.

But when Caliza is forced
Published July 9th 2019 by SourcebooksFire

To ask other readers questions about The Storm Crow, please sign up.
Emilie Trigger warnings are literally just a way of letting people know what kind of stuff is in the book, so that they know if they want to read it or not.…moreTrigger warnings are literally just a way of letting people know what kind of stuff is in the book, so that they know if they want to read it or not. It's not 'sheltering'; people can still read the book knowing what it has in it, imagine that! Next thing you'll be saying that describing the premise is wrong, or listing the genre, or the page count. It's all just more information to help people decide whether they want to read the book or not. Don't you like to know whether a book is a romantic lighthearted read or a dark story about war before you read it? Most people do, so that they can pick up the book they're in the mood for!(less)

Start your review of The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Six of Crows really did ruin me for all other books. I just saw the word “crow” and thought, “no idea what this is about but I’m definitely in”
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
The Storm Crow is officially a new all time favorite read. Consider me obsessed x10000.

Quick note, because I get asked this a lot- yes there is a sequel coming ;) - and I'm lucky enough to have read an early version and omgggggg it's so good. So for those of you who get to the end and need more... rest easy! There will be more.
(view spoiler)

I don’t want to give away too much, as usual in my reviews, but basically we have Anthia, a
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I read this for an experiment I did on my YouTube channel where my best friend picked out my tbr. I was so surprised by this book! It had so many elements that I love in a book, from strong friendships to complicated sibling relationships to being an overall well paced story. I can't say it's the most original fantasy out there, but it definitely impressed me and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the sequel once it's out.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
December Fairyloot! Clink on link below the picture to see the goodies.

THE GOODIES

I LOVE THIS COVER!!!!!!

This book was amaze balls!! Welp, looks like another ARC I will be preordering the hardback!

I’m going to add a few spoilers so Don’t read after the gifs unless you want a bit of spoilery

The shit hits the fan maybe a page out of the gate! Thia is having a good time out joyriding on one of the elemental crows; she was still waiting to get one of her own.

Thia is out with her friend, Kiva,
jessica
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
i am pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed this. its a very original and unique premise, which held my attention pretty much throughout the entire book.

i would definitely consider this a foundational book. its sets the scene for the story, but its quite slow in terms of plot. not a lot happens other than getting a feel for the characters and seeing how the different kingdoms interact with each other. i dont want to say the world building is lacking, necessarily, but i learned more from the
✨ A ✨
In the Kingdom of Rhodaire the people rely on magical giant crows with elemental powers to help them with everything from growing crops, producing weapons and controlling the weather. The crows are not slaves but are revered. They work together with humans and are a part of their way of life.

This book starts out with Rhodaire being invaded by another Kingdom, Illucia. The crows are killed, several people close to our main character Thia die, including her mother the Queen.

Rhodaire finds
Mary S. R.
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of slow-burning, sweet, romantic fantasy focusing on mental health
Recommended to Mary by: the crow, that blessed creature...and the cover :P
4 STARS! The world needs more YA fantasy books focusing on mental health so beautifully :) and the ENDING.

“It’s difficult to walk against the wind. It takes strength.”

First, let's do the this-meets-that and satiate your impatient beast of a curiosity, shall we? My beloved pitch would be:

Red Queen (Rhodairen houses like the Silver houses of Norta; Ericen like Cal) meets Eragon (finding the last egg of a magical race of creatures with wings and hatching it—though the hatching happens much
Lola
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
For some people, what apparently drew them to this book are the crow element as well as the allusion to Six of Crows, which I have yet to finish. Feel free to hate me. But what made me excited to start this personally was the fact that mental illness is discussed, even though fantasy worlds prefer to focus on the action and magic more than the relationship one has with themselves, their own body - mental health. I think bringing something typically contemporary into a non-contemporary genre can ...more
Tucker

Here are the top five reasons you (Yes, you!) should read the storm crow.
1. Just look at that cover. Even if you never read it, you need this book on your shelf. It is gorgeous and will be a great edition to your bookshelf.
2. The writing will satisfy every reader. If your a reader who needs fast paced writing with lots of action, The Storm Crow is for you. If you love amazing images painted with words, The Storm Crow is your book.
3. The story. I won't go into it because I don't want to spoil
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“People are their truest selves at their most desperate.”

Disclaimer: I received and E-ARC from the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review!

I think this book was just another general YA book that did not blow my mind! I am sure some people will like it and some won’t and I will try to be objective as always.

When it comes to the writing style, it was not bad! I found it easy to read and kind of
Zainab
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
I'll read anything with the word 'crow' in it now that I've read Six Of Crows.
This book was so good! I loved Ericen so friking much but the Caylus dude was awfully boring
Kalyn Josephson
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi all! As we creep closer to the release date of THE STORM CROW and early copies start making their way into the world, I wanted to talk a little bit about the book, including some trigger warnings. I love this story deeply and I want to be sure anyone who picks it up is aware of what they’re reading.

- First, and most notably, this is a book about a girl living with depression. It’s about her struggles and her triumphs, and it’s about hope. As someone who struggles with depression, my hope is
Jessica Bibi
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
HEY

hey ( ʖ )

You know what's better than crows?

ELEMENTAL crows.

I was lucky enough to read THE STORM CROW early and LEMME TELL YOU. It's bloody brilliant. Josephson has crafted such a rich and gorgeous world that is SO REAL, I honestly swear it's out there somewhere.

And the characters--hello, Ericen is my fav, I call dibs--are so loveable (yes, even the bad ones...especially the bad ones) and complex, that they had me rooting for them from the start.

One of my utmost treasured things about this
Stephanie Gillespie
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger and Content Warning: Depression, Self-Harm,Violence,

I really LOVED this book! The Storm Crow is filled with the potential to be a great, captivating series. It’s gripping within the first chapter, the characters are all amazing and the magic is uniquely written. With a large variety of majestic crows that can control the elements they provide everything needed for it's country. The crows gave me major How to
Angelica
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is the second 'crow' book I read this month. It's also the second disappointing crow book I read this month. The first was The Merciful Crow whose greatest appeals were its beautiful cover and the fact it had the word'crow' in the title.

Now I'm starting to think that crows, not as a species but as a YA trope, peaked at Six of Crows?

To be fair, you really can't do much better thanSix of Crows.But that's just my totally biased opinion.

So, on to the review!

This book was ok.

It seems that lately
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
“Crow or no crow, one way or another, you will fly. You were always meant to rule the sky.”

This is easily one of the best fantasy novels to be released this year, and one of my new favorite fantasy novels ever. The Storm Crow is filled with beautiful imagery, amazingly powerful yet flawed characters, and a magic system that is adorable yet fearsome at the same time.

description

Overview:

Anthia is a princess of a ruined kingdom, desolated by the people of Illucia. Her mother is gone which causes her sister
Sydni
Edit 7/9/19 HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY TO THIS BEAUTY AS WELL!!

where do i even start i-

this book is going in my all time favorites i can’t comprehend what I just read.

what a FABULOUS way to start off 2019 glad this was the first read of the year wow

OKAY HERE WE GO

.・。.・・.・・・。.

The characters have got to be some of my all time favorites.

Kiva and Thias friendship was everything. Their banter. Their loyalty. THEIR BFF RELATIONSHIP WAS EVERYTHING I NEEDED.

Thia was a character I related to in small ways
Meghan
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

*4 Stars*

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this book! The Storm Crow is absolutely filled with the potential to be a great, captivating series. It’s gripping within the first chapter and the magic system is unique and fun. With a variety of majestic crows that can control the elements, and even bend light, they provide the foundation for a country’s way of life. How could you NOT get sucked into the story immediately?! The relationships
Raquel Flockhart
“People are their truest selves at their most desperate.”

I did it. I finished it. I don’t know why I did this to myself, I should have DNF’d it at some point. But I can be a bit stubborn and I wanted to see if something good happened towards the end. Guess what? It didn’t.

The Storm Crow begins when Rhodaire, a magical kingdom with elemental crows, is attacked by Illucia, another kingdom. The queen and the crows are killed and the kingdom is left in ruins. That changes Princess Anthia life,

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
5 stars

I can't believe this is a debut book!

I was in a book funk for two weeks. It never happened to me before but nothing tasted really exceptional. Nothing kept my attention.

I got this ARC of Storm Crow in a Fairyloot box (I confess that I ordered this box as I knew an ARC was included) and opened it without too high expectation but also I was curious.

The first sentences I nearly stopped because it happened in a universe that I did not get at first sight and as I said I had a hard time
Jessy
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Don't judge a book by its cover.

This cover is absolutely gorgeous. When I first saw it, I was already half in love with it, and I hadn't even read the synopsis. The word 'crow' immediately made me think of Six of Crows and the girl reminded me of Inej.

So yeah, I was ecstatic when this cover was revealed, and I still was when my brain registered that this is not another book in the Six of Crows series.

But The Storm Crow was just another generic YA fantasy that had me rolling my eyes and yawning
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
4.5/5 || this was a buddy read with @annesbookishtravels

"Books are very underrated weapons"

This book was an amazing book. I had the chance of receiving an ARC from Fairyloot in their December box and I don't know what took me so long to read it. Anne and I both agreed: this book was a very pleasant surprise.

The concept was also very original. The kingdom of Rhodaire is dependent of magical crows who have elemental magic and are rideable by trained riders. There are Sun Crows, Storm Crows,
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
I was so excited to read this fantasy book because the concept sounded amazing, and it was quite a good read for many different reasons. I’m so happy to be on the blog tour and able to review this book on its release day. Happy book birthday to The Storm Crow!

One of the things I loved about this book had to be the representation. Our main character becomes scarred and burned very quickly, and she struggles with a phobia of fire and dealing with her own body image at some points in the novel.
Bookish Penguin
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 07-july
I really really wanted to like this. I even pre-ordered it and was so excited when it arrived before the official publication day.
Sadly most of the scenes felt rushed. They were not bad by any means but I would have liked a bit more detailing, a bit more time to get a feel for the situation.

Our main character has to deal with depression and I was so so amazed how well the author handelt this difficult topic.
She was also quite likeable altough I didn't feel as attached to her as I would have
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)

People, this was a really good book, and I hope you are all looking forwards to it in 2019! This was one of my most anticipated releases of the year, and so I was so delighted to receive an arc of it in my December Fairyloot box (which was amazing). And this was such a great read which I would totally recommend, whether you want to start reading fantasy or whether you have been reading it for years - I think it could appeal to anyone. It is masterfully crafted in many ways, and is reminiscent
Sasha
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 for me
That book has lots of potential. The idea was interesting, the plot etc but it didn't work for me.
The reason why it is a 2.5 is because it is after all her first novel.
I finished it in no time because it was really easy to read. It was a fast read not because it was a fast-paced book or very addictive but just because it was easy...

The problem for me was the absence of world-building. I have no idea how the world works, what the different kingdoms look like. Etc I don't know anything
Vivianne
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4,25 stars!

I really enjoyed reading The Storm Crow, it was gripping, funny, heartbreaking, fast paced and very well written. Furthermore it has awesome characters, a great villain, great LGBTQ+ representation and a fantastic mental illness rep (depression). I absolutely loved the original world and the elemental crows and am so excited what the next book will bring! Things I didn’t enjoy as much were the pacing, that was a bit too fast at times, and that the plot wasn’t as original
Trish C. Arrieche
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Top 5 reasons why "The Strom Crow" should be read:

1. Vivid imagery. From the first page, Josephson sets the foundation for this magical world and introduces us to the protagonist, Anthia, and you find yourself instantly part of her world.
2. The strong female friendship is fantastic... and their sharp tongues! (love the witty comebacks)
3. If you like action, Josephson gives it to us right from the beginning.
4. You will find yourself attached to a character, or two, or three. (I'm on four and
Jessica
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
THE STORM CROW blew me away. It’s one of those books that snatches your attention and won’t let you go until you’ve turned the final page. I was fortunate enough to read an early copy of this book, and I inhaled it.

Masterfully done. Gorgeously written. Soooooo much tension.

THE STORM CROW is a truly unique fantasy. The tropical kingdom of Rhodaire is home to magical Crows that are built into the society’s infrastructure. (Like the end of How to Train Your Dragon, but with super cool bird magic.
Melissa
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This book had everything for me to love it: magic crows, a heroine who wants to kick some butts... I really enjoyed it, but some lengths in the story and a detail that bothered me made it a 3-stars read for me. I'll still read the second book of the series, because what I missed more in this book, the action, will be in the second one for sure!

Many thanks to Sourcebooks Fire for the complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
UNTITLED.: September - The Storm Crow by Kalyn Josephson 1 2 Dec 13, 2019 08:59PM
September Book - Storm Crow 1 6 Sep 03, 2019 07:23PM
Booksiren’s BookC...: The Storm Crow 2 6 Jul 31, 2019 07:38PM
Fairyloot Jackson...: The Storm Crow 1 16 May 05, 2019 03:00PM

• Fire & Heist
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Circle of Shadows (Circle of Shadows, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • To Best the Boys
  • Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Tiger Queen
Kalyn Josephson is the author of THE STORM CROW duology. By day, she's a Technical Writer in Silicon Valley, which leaves room for too many bad puns about technically being a writer. She grew up in San Luis Obispo, CA, but now lives in the Bay Area with four awesome friends (because it’s the Bay and she’d like to be able to retire one day) and two black cats (who are more like a tiny dragon and an ...more

The ​Storm Crow (2 books)
  • The Crow Rider (The Storm Crow, #2)
“Don't let her silence the storm inside you.” 5 likes