Start by marking “The Fall (Burning Skies, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fall (Burning Skies, #1)

The Fall

(Burning Skies #1)

The first in the multi-author, post-apocalyptic blockbuster series.

Cal’s ‘honeymoon’ didn’t start off quite how he’d planned. For starters, he was heading somewhere he didn’t actually want to go. And secondly, he was going alone and unmarried. He had no idea that his first visit to New York City would also land him in the middle of a domestic terror attack, forcing him
Published February 23rd 2018 by Vulpine Press

Start your review of The Fall (Burning Skies, #1)
John Wiltshire
Feb 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: given-up-on
I got to 70% and just had to give up. I understand that this is the first in a series, and that the author has to set up the premise and all the characters, but the novel still has to be coherent, and this just wasn't for me. I didn't like the main character either. He's supposed to be an ex-Royal Marine, but he seems completely useless, and his reactions to events (terrorist bombs) very odd for someone who was in Special Forces.
But I had other gripes too. After America is wrecked by a series
Stace
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5

This was more political intrigue (which bores me to tears) than apocalyptic survival story which is what I love. So I loved Cal’s part of the plot and those that tied into his story but the rest of it was bogged down by so many details and characters of who was screwing over who to destroy America that I just started skimming to reach the next phase of Cal’s escape.
Toni Boughton
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just plain good apocalyptic fiction

This author weaves a fast-moving story of attacks, both nuclear and not, on America. Well worth a read for any fan of apocalyptic/military fiction.
Jay
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jim A
Oct 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
A quarter of the way through this and I found nothing compelling with the lead character, Cal. Nothing but whining because his didn't get married but is on his honeymoon in NYC anyway. Maybe it gets better, I won't ever know.
Amanda
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
America is hit with several nuclear bombs.
That's basically the premise of this story.
The book isn't bad, per se, but there are WAY too many characters.
You have several groups of characters in several different locations. Only one of the 30 or more characters is actually well rounded. As the story bounced from location to location to location, I often found myself distracted by trying to figure out who in the world each character was.
First of all, you have Cal, the initial protagonist. By the
Nate Stueve
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Emma
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
There were a surprising amount of spelling mistakes in this story. That was the first thing that irked me. I guess they were missed because they were words that were spelled right, however they were the wrong word. So there were a number of times I had to re-read sentences and try to figure out what was actually being said.

I generally like this genre, however this story bored me. Too many military terms and references, too many guns references, to which I have no idea about. I understand that
Pam Shelton-Anderson
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read books by this author before and enjoyed them a lot. This was very good! I'm not a huge fan of starting after the event and then backing up to before, but it worked fine in this case. There were a very few writing errors (ex careering around a corner instead of careening). I like that the main character was British with that point of view. The event unfolds in a very sinister and terrifying way. I hope to see Sebastian in the future...he was awesome. I look forward to the next book, ...more
Lorrie
There were a lot of things about this book that just irked me. I guess the biggest one is that we never spend long enough on any character or group of characters to develop any sort of connection with them. The book just jumps all over the place from one group to the next, and never stays long enough to figure out their motivations. Why things happen is as important as what's happening. Unfortunately, even as the book closes, we STILL have no idea why the shit hit the fan, let alone who did it.

Scott
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another solid post- appocolypse novel from Devon Ford

Another solid post- appocolypse novel from Devon Ford. I read his After it Happened series, consuming a book per day. (Being out on bed rest helped.) Ford does a great job making the unthinkable seem plausible and plays out the struggles of the survivors in a way that left me me both sleep-derived and wanting for more. On to book two of this series!
D. E.
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A DCF. SYFY. Novel (BSB. - 1) Nuclear Attack on the United States

DCF. has. penned a SYFY. Novel About a mercenary group of Americans who decide to destroy the infrastructure of the United States. Unbeknownst to then n the Chinese were the ones who were supporting them with munitions and money. The Chinese used the mercenaries mission to cover theirs when they attacked the US. This i s an excellent read for the genre.....DEHS
Wilma
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Cal sets off for his honeymoon but his bride to be doesn't show. He is alone in New York City when a massive attack comes from a group of Nationalists (?) plot to turn the power off to NYC. Unknown to them the Chinese are beginning their own attack on the US of A. Nuclear explosions wreck the east and west coasts. Poor Cal is in the middle of it all.

Good story but the ending sucked. There must be another book coming.
Pam Ward
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frightening

I enjoyed this 1st in series book. The idea that the U.S. has come under nuclear attack is chilling and, unfortunately, very relevant. There were some editing issues which bother me, otherwise I would have given it 5 stars. Can't wait to read the next in series to see the US start to kick butt and fight back.
Susan
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

I chose this rating because, although I enjoyed the story, there was a lot I didn't understand. There were some technical descriptions that I just couldn't keep up with. However, the story was good enough to keep me reading. I think I will have to try some other books by this author while I wait for the next installment of this one.
Rachael Horton
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!!!!

An absolutely riveting first book in the new series by Devon Ford! I read this in record time and couldn't put it down. Great from start to finish and now I'm left itching for more. Perfectly written characters, one of Ford's strengths, brilliant plot and sub plots that leave you with so much to think about. A must read
Jan Kitchen
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I endured the first two thirds as the characters were introduced and the situation was developed. The final third became a bit more interesting until I realized this whole book was simply a big introduction to the series. The ending was basically a segue and did not bring any sort of closure to the book.
karl Chaplain
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great read.
Looking forward to the next instalment.
Ford is probably among my favorite authors within the genre.
Loved the after it happened series and this just carries on with another damned hard to put down read..

Whilst I'm waitng on the next instalment.
N C REEDS fire from the sky series is queued and ready

Another top read.
lisa hamer
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book

I just love this author. So his books that you from the first page and you steal every quiet moment to read more. I can't wait for the next instalment. Excellent storyline and the beginning of another great adventure with characters you love getting to know better.
Lisa
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.

I cannot wait to see the next book. When does it come out? This was a great read and I am not kidding I want more please. The characters were well defined and believable. Looking forward to seeing the results of a book 2 please. I cannot recommend 3 book enough. I loved it. Buy it you will love it.
Alexandra Robinson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nailbiter... well written thriller.

The shit hits the fan hard in this novel.
A great read, I found it hard to put down once I started.
I love a ripping yarn, and this fits the bill... if you enjoyed the towering inferno or Die Hard, you'll love this.
Kathi
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book!!

This book was a page turner,lots of action and had to read it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. Believable characters and a scarily believable scenario. Highly recommend.
Cherye Elliott
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting

The author is British and so is the lead character Cal. I see where Cal isn't or doesn't grasp the American concept of leaving the city whereas England heads to the city for protection. Interesting spin. Looking forward to reading more.
John McCalpin
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-pulp
Not a bad start

The scenario reminds me of Tom Clancy’s “Debt of Honor” - implausible, but intriguing. Devon C. Ford was a good choice for the first novel in the series. It will be interesting to see whether the other volumes have a consistent style.
Scott C. Sheffield
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Almost Doomsday

An innovative ideas for a foreign force striking the US. The cast of characters is interesting but undeveloped and the writing tends to be stilted and convoluted is some passages. The editing of grammatical errors needs work.
Jeff Sabean
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’ve read worse I guess

The story moved along well, the character development was great, and the initial disaster was excellent. Then the “Special Operations” Soldiers showed up, and it went to garbage from there.
Mark Price
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apocalypse, invasion
A trilogy with different authors. How interesting, so I tried book one as I have read Devon before. Very enjoyable read, plausible storyline, good character building. Onto book two anticipating a good series.
Michelle
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Fall is scary

The Fall is a wickedly scary book about the United States being invaded. It seemed very realistic, so much so that I had to go outside to make sure we were still ok.
Elizabeth
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku
Really enjoyed this; I was pretty bummed when I thought there was no book 2 available yet. I searched on Amazon and found out this will be a multi-author series. Book 2 is by Jacqueline Druga. I enjoy her books; I'm looking forward to read her take on this.
Joyce Whitney
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Start off with a bang

I like Ford's books so I chose the fall to read. HIs other series led me to believe I would enjoy this New work.ALthough a lot of the book was laying groundwork and solidifying characters I believe this series will be just as good.

• Fallout (Burning Skies #2)
  • Uprising (Burning Skies #3)
  • The Secret of the King's Tomb (Richard Halliburton Adventure #1)
  • ARISEN Box Set Books 1-4 (Arisen, #1-4)
  • Once a Soldier
  • Sins of the Father (Logan Falcone #2)
  • Wood's Reef (Mac Travis Adventures #1)
  • Dead in Their Tracks (Mitch Kearns Combat Tracker #1)
  • The Blackmail Photos (The Travelers #3)
  • Fire Watch (Jack Widow, #8)
  • Compromised (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #6)
  • Faulted
  • Shock Collar (Micah Reed #7)
  • PRIMAL Reckoning (PRIMAL #5)
  • Solar Storm: Book 1: Season 1: Episodes I - III
  • Minus America (Minus America #1)
  • Lethal Incision (Dr. Zora Smyth Medical Thriller #2)
  • Dust to Dust (Deconstruction #1)
Devon is from the UK, having lived in many places until finally settling in the Midlands. His career in public services started in his teens and has provided a wealth of experiences, both good and some very bad, which form the basis of the book ideas that cause regular insomnia.

He first started reading for fun as an adult, having tried his hardest to avoid anything resembling academia growing up,

Burning Skies (3 books)
  • Fallout (Burning Skies #2)
  • Uprising (Burning Skies #3)