Start by marking “Floating Off the Page: The Best Stories from The Wall Street Journal's "Middle Column"” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
On any given day, millions of Wall Street Journal readers put aside the serious business and economic news of the day to focus first on the paper's middle column (a.k.a. the A-hed), a virtual sound-bubble for light literary fare -- a short story, a tall tale, an old yarn, a series of vignettes, and other unexpected delights that seem to "float off the page." In this first- ...more
Published June 2nd 2003 by Simon Schuster (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Floating Off the Page, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Floating Off the Page

Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much, but it isn't one meant to be read in one sitting. it is made up of human interest stories that appeared regularly in the middle column of the Wall Street Journal. The subjects were extremely varied and the writing quality was high.

The best way to read it is one story a day or so (like the columns were published). I read this for one of my book groups so the members tried to push the reading into the time allotted to finish it by meeting time. Pushing it distracted
Anita
Nov 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, swap-in
Back when I had convenient access to the WSJ, I used to read the middle column quite often. These short, engaging, human interest stories were a refreshing complement to the rest of the front page.
Reading this compilation is a mixed bag. Some pieces feel nostalgic, others stale. I was struck by how male-targeted most pieces were. I know, not surprising. Hope you like to read about hunting!
The most affecting pieces were the couple that were from right after 9/11 (this book was published in 2002).
Algernon
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays
For 67 years, one of the distinguishing features of the Wall Street Journal has been the "A-hed," a special column where journalists treated unusual stories with excellent writing and humor. Among those who worry about Rupert Murdoch's purchase of the paper, the a-hed or "middle column" is one of the most frequent concerns.

Surely this argues for a long series of collections like this one. The odd, the offbeat, the beautiful, they are all here, subtly expanding and lightening one's view of the wo
DJ
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
These are the fabulous stories on the front page of the WSJ that make you say, 'Huh? Why is that here?' As a purveyor of useless bits of trivia, I found this book tremendously enjoyable. The writing is superb and the stories are amazing. Truth is stranger than fiction. A quick read, great for a weekend, vacation or plane ride.
Kirsti
A collection of the best feature stories from the Wall Street Journal. I especially liked the feature about the Club for One-Pulse Words, in which the reporter used only words of one syllable. And Geraldine Brooks is a Pulitzer-winning novelist now, but back in 1989 she was a Journal reporter who wrote a feature on her experiences with belly-dancing.
Dec 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
The stories in this book seen to be about men and drinking. This is not my cup of tea so I never finished the book. I thought it would be more intellectually stimulating. Also the date for each column is at the end of the article making it difficult to understand the frame of reference if you forget to look ahead.
Kimberly
Nov 18, 2010 marked it as to-read
I happened upon this book yesterday and decided to buy it. I hope I'll enjoy reading it as much as I think I will.
Rob Dhillon
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read this when I was in South Dakota & reread it May, 2010. Still good, still true, and fa-funny!
Candice