Start by marking “After the Rain” as Want to Read:
After the Rain

After the Rain

4.61  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
When a child is born they're a blank canvas. A canvas that is later moulded by the influences of the world around them. Those influences determine that child’s future, but they are not always kind. Some of those children will enter adulthood easily, unscathed by the harshness of life, but for others, that journey is not an easy path to follow.

And then there are those, who'
ebook
Published March 31st 2018

To ask other readers questions about After the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Rain

Jamie
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Serious Warning... this book will give you extreme feelings with a big dose of ugly cry. Oh my goodness this book has been in my brain since I finished, its a book that is so well written, its deep, its raw, and dark at times, but so beautiful. Stacy Johnston took issues that are difficult to talk about, but very much exists around us, everyday and she absolutely slayed it. I highly recommend this book. This is most definitely my favorite Stacey Johnston book to date.

Alec and Penny's story spans
Laid-back Book Bitches
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was different then any book I have ever read not in a bad way, actually in the best way possible. This book is an emotional rollercoaster. Depression and suicide can't be an easy topic to write about, it sure isn't easy to read. But this book was amazing! I was hooked right away, I could not put this book down. This book was sad, heartbreaking, and beautiful. My heart broke so bad for Alec, I am so glad he had Penny by his side from day one. You wanna know what happens, if they are abl ...more
Robyn
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Depression and suicide does not discriminate. It does not matter if you are rich or poor or if you have a wonderful and loving family who support you. Thoughts of suicide can affect anyone. Alec knows this all too well. He is a successful doctor with a loving wife and children, but that still does not stop him from trying to take his own life. You see, Alec has always been different. Even as a young boy, Alec was quiet and reserved, but there was a darkness inside of him. A voice in his head tha ...more
Megan
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
***ARC provided in exchange for an honest review- Megan/Scandalous Book Blog***

"There was never any doubt in my mind about marrying him, and twenty-five years later there still isn't. Regardless of which path we walked, eventually it led us back to each other because our souls knew who they belonged to."

After the Rain was a heartbreaking and gut wrenching read with a beautiful love story at it's core. Alec and Penny have known each other their entire lives and what started out as a friendship o
Julie Addicott
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really beautiful, emotionally packed story. <3
Mona williams
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this book was so emotional . he feels like he has always been unwanted. so he does something. only there is someone that has been by him since day one. plus he finds out something too. now he has to decide what to do with his life. this was really kinda sad. you must read.
Tracy
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very different then anything I've ever read but in the best way. Depression and suicide aren't easy topics to write about but I have never seen it written about the Male character. It was a very emotional read and one I would for sure reccomend to my reading friends.
Spunky N Sassy
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 4.0

~~~~~~~~~~Lindsey's ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Review~~~~~~~~~~

This book was heartbreaking and beautiful. One of my favorite reads of 2018 so far.
Up All Night With Books
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m rendered speechless at how EPIC Stacey’s Johnston’s newest release, After The Rain is. Beautifully told, impeccable writing which flows effortlessly off the pages. You will be captured from the first sentence, with the heart wrenching emotional scenario to the strong whimsical marriage between the characters, to the picturesque childhood moments of life that are filled with childlike joy. This is by far my favorite Contemporary/Women’s Fiction novel in 2018!

There is something compelling, co
Corrie
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
After the Rain is quite an emotional journey!

The reader is given a birds eye view of a husband and wife and subsequently the entire family as they deal with the after effects of a suicide attempt. As you get further into the story more information is revealed and you become more understanding of all that is going on.

It really was a journey from beginning to end as to how Alec deals with his depression and anxiety and honestly I think this book could be a catalyst to understanding for many peopl
Danielle R (Spellbound Stories)
After The Rain is my first Stacey Johnston book. I struggled slightly with my rating and review of this book because when I read it, I was expecting a full length story and this is only a short story/novella. I feel like if the story had been slightly longer, or had more character development, I would have been able to enjoy it more. On the other hand, the book is well written and deeply moving. I mean, you really, really need to expect heartbreak and angst with this story. As it centers around ...more
Amanda Gillespie Shock N Awe Book Blog
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This book hit me in the gut. I have read Stacey Johnston's Writing My Own Destiny a while back, and I laughed until I cried. This one made me cry until I laughed. The way with words this author has is impressive. She can pull whatever emotion she choose from your soul and dares you not to connect with her characters. This book deals with some difficult issues including depression and suicide but should not be considered as a trigger as much as a show of support for those that may suffer and thei ...more
Fran Zoch, LSoR
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a rollercoaster ride of emotions,
Alec and Penny fight through a lot of baggage in this , he was raised not ever wanting for anything,  except he wanted to be himself not what others wanted him to be but Penny has been by his side from the beginning and now they have a present and future to look for , my emotions through this book was my heart hurt, loved these two, and I wanted to climb in this book fight for them .

If you want to know how they work out please read this book you wil
TamraC
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
****ARC provided in exchange for an honest review****

Isn't there darkness residing in everyone? What happens when you have that one moment of weakness?! Stacey writes a hauntingly beautiful story of family, love, life and all the bad in between. She deals with the tough issues that we can all relate to. Whether it is our own monsters or someone's that we love.

Alec and Penny's emotional journey begins when they are children and continues to when they have children of their own. We get to experien
Alicia Harrietha
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After The Rain by Stacey Johnston was a deep, emotional and very intense book that is relatable to anyone that has been going through or knows someone suffering from depression. I found myself lost in the emotions as I read of the struggle of a man, a father and a husband that almost lost his battle with depression and the family that pulled him through. The story was hard to read as it deals with such a hard issue but it also has a lot of amazing moments of strength and hope and you cannot help ...more
Moriah
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Such an emotional heart wrenching story. It takes you on a journey of what it's like to be and live with a person with depression and anxiety. Throw a little surprise in there and anything can happen. Penny is the glue that holds Alec and thier family together. Loved all of them.
Tania Gray
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story broke my heart and at times had me in tears, the tale that Stacey has told is so real and would be relatable to a lot of people suffering this condition. The effects on family and friends has been told with accuracy and compassion. The strength that these characters show despite everything is amazing and I’m in awe of that. I would highly recommend this book to everyone
Emilee Ashley
Love

I love Penny and Alec and the kids. This book was very emotional and involved hard subjects. But you could feel the love of Penny and Alec. You can also feel the love the kids have for their father. Great writing
Lylian Aguiar
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book about so many obstacles in life and they can affect not only the person’s life but their close ones. I’m in awe with this book
L V
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh my days I absolutely loved this book. Touched my heart on a personal level but also made me chuckle made me understand made me proud made me cry loved it 💖💖💖💖
Autumn Bryant
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written book about mental illness and love. I was captivated by this love story and could not put it down, It captured the emotional rollercoaster of having a mental illness and how it effect it has on those around you. This is a definite 5 star read.
Amanda Williams
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A touching and beautiful story full of morals and simply stunning imagery. I really enjoyed reading this.

Lainey Da Silva PA
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emotional, Heartbreaking, Heart-Wrenching and Brilliant! All the Feels!!
Wow, what an Amazing Book by Stacey Johnston!
After the Rain was so heartfelt and emotional it tugged on your heartstrings and wouldn’t let up.
You followed Alec and Penny from such a tender age of pre school all the way through to their adult life, marriage, children and everything life throws at them in between.
To say Alec had his struggles throughout his life was an understatement but Penny was not only his soul mate but hi
Julie Reveles (ILST BLOG)
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

“I’ll walk right there beside you with each step forward you take, and if you fall, I’ll stop and help you pick yourself up. We can brush off any dirt together and carry on, hand in hand.”

The love that Penny had for Alec was unconditional. She is the perfect example of “in sickness and in health” when wedding vows are said. She is one strong women and an amazing supporter for Alec. Alec is sick and the struggles that he goes through are those that many may be able to relate to. I’m not too sur
I Love Story Time
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, julie-jules

Diane Norwood
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good story about dealing with multiple issues, that people and couples often have to endure.
Kali McQuillen
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read, 2018-arc
Alec and Penny have been friends since they were little kids. They drifted a part for a few years in high school but then rekindled their friendship and love that they've always felt towards each other. Fast forward 25 years and you feel the pain and love that these two have gone through.

This book covers depression and gives you insight into what it is to live through it and what it is like for your loved ones too. The ups and downs, the heartbreak of not feeling like you're not enough, the litt
Kendra Needs
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has taken me weeks to get to where I feel I can review this book without a clouded mind, this book was so well written and left me with a feeling love at the end.

This book touches on many aspects of real life, from illness to mental illness and how people of todays society deal with the diagnosis and the ramifications of actions taken with loved ones left behind.

The journey of Alec and his family will break your heart and leave you with tears in your eyes and a feeling that is indescribable.

C
Paula Genereau
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Stacey's books. shes amazing. this book will suck you in and keep you begging for more.
Allyson
See Review at Up All Night w/Books Blog

Late Night reviewer for Up All Night w/Books
What to tell you about myself??
When I sat down to set about the challenge of what I could say, I found that I didn’t really consider myself to be very interesting at all.
I’ve lived in Western Australia my whole life, only ever leaving the country once. Right now though I reside in a southern suburb close to the beach.
Above everything else I’m a wife and a mother. I’ve been married to a man I beli