Start by marking “Mine!: A celebration of liberty and freedom for all benefitting Planned Parenthood” as Want to Read:

Planned Parenthood, and the millions of people they help each year, need every bit of help they can get. Mine! is a comics anthology with the proceeds going to Planned Parenthood. With stories about trailblazing women, civil rights leaders, a person's first time going to a PP clinic, debunking myths about sex, STI screenings, HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention, fantastical ...more
Published January 24th 2018 by ComicMix (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Mine!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine!

Start your review of Mine!: A celebration of liberty and freedom for all benefitting Planned Parenthood
Keith DeCandido
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: I'm a contributor to this anthology, but it's only a few pages out of hundreds, so I still think the review is worthwhile. This is excerpted from a more detailed review on my blog: https://decandido.wordpress.com/2018/...

This anthology is important to have simply because Planned Parenthood needs all the support it can get, especially with PP coming under fire by alleged moralists who think it's just an abortion factory, not understanding how important it is for medical care for people with
Adam Stone
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm generally not a fan of comic book anthologies that give an artist or art team two or three pages to tell political stories. They're often completely forgettable fluff pieces that make you feel good about supporting a comic that aligns with your values but have no real merit.

Last year's Love Is Love: A Comic Book Anthology to Benefit the Survivors of the Orlando Pulse Shooting was one of the few books that I preordered, read and purchased the day it came it out. I'm glad the book exists. I ho
May Helena Plumb
Lots of great stories - a mix of personal stories, sketches of historical figures, and some fun fantasy/sci-fi takes!

(Reading the digital edition released to Kickstarter backers --- there were a number of editorial errors, unfortunately.)
Theresa
I laughed, I cried, I was educated- this is such a valuable resource and I'm so glad that the proceeds are going directly to Planned Parenthood. The sheer number of lives that they impact on an annual basis is phenomenal. Major kudos to all of the artists and writers that contributed to this amazing anthology.
Mindy
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MINE! is a flip of the bird to those who would take us backwards.

In this Trumpian age, MINE! is one of the most important graphic anthologies to be published.
Bryan
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I actually picked this up from my local B&N last summer on the same trip when I went to get my own copy of “Secret Loves of Geeks” because I loved that collection so much (my initial read of that was a library copy). What sold me on this anthology was the cover, benefiting Planned Parenthood, and spotting Maia Kobabe’s name on the back because it was eir entry in “Geeks” that made me want to own a copy and at the time I was completely unaware of all eir work available online, but amongst eir nam ...more
Maia
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: comics
This comic book was produced as a fund raiser for Planned Parenthood, and I was honored to contribute the art for a short story written by Josh Trujillo. There are a huge number of stories in the book, ranging from 1 to 8 pages- a mix of nonfiction pieces about Planned Parenthood's past, personal histories, fictional pieces and some sci-fi futurist predictions. One of the stories, "Ethel Byrne" written by Cecil Castelluchi and Scott Chantler, was just nominated for an Eisner award!
Lynne Nunyabidness
Normally I would have given this 3 stars: As an anthology, some entries spoke to me while others just had me wondering why they were here. Which is a fairly typical experience. But, with most of the proceeds going to a good cause, I felt the need to bump it up a notch.
Rob McMonigal
In some ways, because so much has changed, reading this now was kinda like reading a time capsule.

The stories are all fairly well done, with a few heavy-handed clunkers, as one might expect.
Chrissy
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the bulk of this is one sitting. It’s so powerful and good. At times it’s a heavy read but valuable. It has historical information, and accurate information. About planned parenthood, women’s stories around abortion, STI screening, living HIV positive, living with HPV (which I was for years) , transgender, displays both heterosexual and homosexual relationships.

Bonus If you’ve never read any graphic novel this has a number of contributors with a variety of styles. So it’s a good sampler
Danielle Mamaril
Why don't enough people know about this book? I appreciate this collection. Every single one was so educational and v feminist which is something I highly appreciate. The stories were soooo diverse like never had I seen any type of message telling abuse can be prominent in a lesbian relationship. I learned so much during this novel. The only reason it's not a five out of five is that there were a few comics where I was confused about how it was feminist related or I didn't like the art style. I ...more
Jay
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mine!: A Comics Collection to Benefit Planned Parenthood is a progressive compilation of short comics designed to educate and stimulate the reader. Informative stories include comics emphasizing the importance of freedom of choice, reliable, affordable access to birth control and biographies on some of the equal and women's rights most integral public figures. Speckled in between the nonfiction are fictional tales of identity and self love.

I found some of the content to be a bit repetitive, but
DianeB
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous collection of stories by an incredibly diverse array of writers and artists, all to benefit Planned Parenthood. What collaboration could be better? These stories run the gamut from historical fact to outer-space fiction, but all reflect something of the struggle and success not only of PP itself, but also for those who seek its services. Highly recommended. I own a softcover edition, and let me tell you, it's beautiful, and I love having it.
Samantha Bee
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've realised that I love these kinds of books. I did prefer some stories and art styles to others, but I appreciated them all for what they were and what they offered. It also didn't hurt that the kickstarter for this was for helping Planned Parenthood, which, even as a Canadian, I will always support.
Hannah Collins
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Good cause. Didn’t love some of the comics, not my style of art (sorry!)
Daniel Stalter
Like all anthologies featuring work from multiple creators, I liked some of these stories better than others. Overall I was really impressed. While a lot of these stories center around Planned Parenthood - touching on everything from its history to the services it provides - it goes a lot deeper than that. It spotlights many of the broken elements in American sex education, public healthcare, and overall discourse on all of the above. It features a wide range of voices and perspectives, and real ...more
Esther O. Lee
Faves: Amy Shand, Emily Pearson,& Jim Campbell’s Cramps; Palicki & Neogi, Vinay Daniel, and Jesse Post’s Here Are Dragons; Tini Howard & Rebecca Farrow’s Saint Termina, Irene Johnson & Rob Jones’ Tea Cakes, Joe Illidge & Will Rosado’s For Those In Quiet Graves

Honorable mention: Niki Smith’s Epidemic, Aria Baci & Marian Churchland’s We Cannot Make Our Sun Stand Still, Cecil Castellucci & Scott Chantler’s Ethel Byrne, Casey Gilly & Jen Hickman’s Rosemary’s Baby intervention, Rachel Pollack & Fyodo
Crystal
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel was pretty awesome. A compilation of short stories about people’s experiences with planned parenthood, sexuality, gender, relationships, and loss. Some of the stories are heartbreaking, and others uplifting. Some provide historical context, and others provide motivation to defend women and transgender rights. This is a must read, and a great addition to any public library collection (and profits are going to Planned Parenthood!).
Sam Wescott
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mix, like any anthology. Some were vibrant personal stories, others read like after school specials, and lots of them were little illustrated history lessons. Overall, a really great mix, but I did skip a few that were visually very tough to read, because of tiny, illegible lettering or one or two where the text got eaten where the page meets the spine.
Kim
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad, hopeful, personal, specific, educational...but all powerful. As with any collection or anthology, some are better than others. I recommend reading only a few at a time and spacing them out, otherwise you’ll lose the individual impact.
Philip
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Like any anthology, the stories vary in quality. I’ve added an extra star since this book benefits Planned Parenthood and the vital services they offer.
Michael
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The actual comics are a mixed bag, at best, but the cause justifies the value.

Kickstarter backer PDF
Maggie Ignasiak
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a must read!
Julia
Hard to rate so many short comics, but overall, I think it was a fun read.
Nicholas Kaufmann
A great collection of short comics in support of a great cause! Editors Joe Corallo and Molly Jackson have commissioned and assembled a striking, effective comics anthology from dozens of writers and artists, including Neil Gaiman, Dennis O'Neil, Amber Benson, Rachel Pollack, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Keith R. A. DeCandido, and many more. It's astonishing how many good short, powerful comics are inside these pages! Because this is a fundraising anthology for Planned Parenthood, many of the comics focu ...more
Skyler
Apr 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate this book. Mine! by Molly, Jackson Is one of my most hated books. It has no storyline except for the stories about abortion coming once every 3 or 4 comics. It gives no warning that this is a collection of tiny little comics. the comics vary from comics about history to taking detective cats. It gives no summary on the back of the book and just is completely and the only theme it shares is revolving around the planned parenthood on the few comics that stick to the theme. It has no one the ...more
Audrey Marquardt
Pretty good! As with any collection, there are some really good short stories in here as well as some that didn't resonate as well for me personally, both in substance and style.
Ali
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best themed anthologies I have read in years. The stories include so many emotions and personal stories.
Ashley
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So so powerful
Moniqa
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would love to rate this higher because there are a lot of really great pieces that touched my heart and made me cry, but there are a lot of problematic pieces that can't be ignored: body shaming, gender binarism, and cisnormativity, to name a few, as well as basic spelling and punctuation errors.

• Love Letters to Jane's World
  • The Fire Never Goes Out: A Memoir in Pictures
  • Retrograde Orbit
  • Magdalena: Reformation
  • The Autumnlands, Vol. 1: Tooth and Claw
  • The Middle-Route Run (Rickety Stitch and the Gelatinous Goo #2)
  • Bald Knobber
  • Captain Harlock: Dimensional Voyage Vol. 2
  • Berserker Unbound, Vol. 1
  • Snapdragon
  • Riot Baby
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)

News & Interviews