Start by marking “An Absolutely Remarkable Thing” as Want to Read:
An Absolutely Remarkable Thing

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing

(An Absolutely Remarkable Thing #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  20,820 ratings  ·  4,230 reviews
The Carls just appeared. Coming home from work at three a.m., twenty-three-year-old April May stumbles across a giant sculpture. Delighted by its appearance and craftsmanship--like a ten-foot-tall Transformer wearing a suit of samurai armor--April and her friend Andy make a video with it, which Andy uploads to YouTube. The next day April wakes up to a viral video and a new ...more
Published September 25th 2018 by Hachette Australia

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
WOW! This was excellent! I honestly went into it very skeptical, but I am leaving this feeling super satisfied with every aspect of this story. I'm so happy that there's going to be a sequel, because that ending left me hanging! It was the ONLY thing I wasn't satisfied with.
شيماء ✨
Fortunate happenstance has led to me reading this book with absolutely no prior knowledge to what it was about. I’ve just grown tired with John Green romanticizing the white heterosexual nerd’s quest for the perfect woman whom they win by using the longest most pretentious words possible, and I was very curious to read his brother’s work.

Frankly, I expected to tumble into this book dissonant and harsh in my criticism—but what do you know...I actually liked it. (If you look really closely, there'
Christine Riccio
I just finished An Absolutely Remarkable Thing and it was great!! I had so much fun flying through this book. My booktalk will be coming later this week, I'm excited to discuss with yall!
Zoë
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
I'm honestly still in shock. I went into this book quite skeptically as this is Hank Green's debut coupled with the fact that I don't tend to gravitate towards sci-fi.
HOWEVER.
This was such a whirlwind of a book! I didn't research this book before starting (which I'd recommend - just read it), so it took a little bit to get my footing in the story. After that, though WOW. Constant twists, turns, and a mystery that keeps unfolding. I simply had to keep reading to figure out what was up with
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
Oct 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one (Especially not fans of the vlog brothers)
Recommended to Tucker by: Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Publisher: So Hank you want to write a book?
Hank: Yes, my brother wrote a bunch which means that I can to!
Publisher: What do you want it to be about.
Hank: I want to write a book about aliens.
Publisher: So like the 5th wave.
Hank: Kind of but let's remove all the violent parts.
Publisher: So like E.T.?
Hank: The alien won't actually talk or interact with the humans. Oh, and he won't be a living thing. He'll just be a big hunk of metal but we'll call him an alien.
Publisher: What about the main charac
Ariel
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
OH MAN. What a dang read. Shoot peeps. This one hit me really hard. It was one of those books where the second I finished it all I wanted to do was read it again.

So I will. Soon. And you should too.
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
*I'm going to mull this over before I review/rate it because I've bounced around A LOT*
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. This was SO. GOOD. SOOOOO GOOD. I love Hank so I was really worried that I wasn’t going to love it but WOW. What a phenomenal read. I need more NOW 😫
Nick
Oct 04, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Okay where is my crash course squad?
Tammy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
April May is the snarky, relationship wrecking narrator who is unwittingly catapulted into the dizzying heights of international fame upon being the first to discover a randomly named “Carl”. Initially thought to be an art installation, the Carls prove to be considerably more than visually striking. April becomes addicted to being first and staying first within the media both social and otherwise. At first glance this seems like a Young Adult novel and it will excite this audience but there is a ...more
Larry H
It was 2:45 in the morning, and April May was walking home in New York City after a long night of working. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw it:

"A ten-foot-tall Transformer wearing a suit of samurai armor, its huge barrel chest lifted up to the sky a good four or five feet above my head. It just stood there in the middle of the sidewalk, full of energy and power. It looked like it might, at any moment, turn and fix that empty, regal stare on me. But instead it just stood there, silent and al
Maxwell
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, ya, 2018
Meh. It had a really cool plot but I hated the writing style. And that ending made it even worse for me. I did not realize this would be part of a series when I picked it up so I was expecting a satisfying ending, and it did not deliver for me. Bummer.
Haley
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Upon Announcement:

I CAN'T WAAAAIT!

After Reading:

So I am giving this four stars for now, even though it is possible it is a 3/3.5-star book. I really loved everything it had to say and the way in which it said it, and I thought it was a highly original and well-written story, but I was confused and unimpressed by the ending. (That being said, given the premise of the book, I would like to point out the irony of this being easily my most-liked review ever.)

What I did love about this story was its
C.G. Drews
I obviously wanted to read this because...it's Hank Green.. But I think I will just stick to the other brother of John for now oops. This style of story isn't really in my realm of interests, I confess. Adults/scifi? Hm. So possibly the book is just *not for me* but I was so confused and detached.

Like April is an actual horrible person so why would I care about her? And she gets famous instantly for seeing a robot on a street and making a movie of it. This is BEFORE they think it's an alien. I
Melissa Rochelle
I hate that people are calling this "young adult". It's not. Stop it with the inane labels that turn people off instead of bringing them in.

The main character isn't even in high school OR college for that matter!

This is a book for people that like to read quirky, pop-culture-filled, sci-fi-ish books -- those people might be 15 years old (and their parents don't mind them reading the occasional profanity). Maybe it's a late 20s human that also enjoys reading the novels of Ernest Cline, Robin Sl
Anne
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english
Actual rating: 3.75 🌟's

I initially gave this book 5 stars, because I had such an amazing time reading it and was so incredibly surprised by Hank Green's writing talent. It's hard to believe that this is his debut novel! The writing style was super easy to read and the teenagers actually talked like teenagers. It's nice to know that there are authors out there, who don't insist on constantly using stupid slang to get someones youth across.

I found the characters to be lovable and realistic, but w
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
*puts on spectacles*

TIME TO IMAGINE A ROBOT COMPLEXLY 🤖

I knew it!

I still listen to Hank and John Green's podcast, and a few episodes ago Hank teased an announcement. Totally nailed it with my guess it was going to be a book!

Love both the brothers and the impact they've had on Internet culture. Hank is especially well-spoken and enthusiastic about so many important things, can't wait to see how this translates into a book!
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
Buddy Read with Fellow Cardan the Furry Enthusiast

"Carl is not a possible thing, and yet there he is, guarding the Chipotle, leading people to conclude that he was not created by humans."

So ... just like I thought ... Trash.

I went in to this with semi high hopes as everyone says that Hank Green is the Better Brother due to the fact that John just keeps putting out Not So Great Books. There was tons of hype around this book that I was gladly not involved in but I read this in favor of a friend
Taylor Ramirez
"Coming home from work at three a.m., twenty-three-year-old April May..."

April May

Nope. Ya lost me.
Hamad
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, e-books
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“Even on this most terrible days, even when the worst of us are all we can think of, I am proud to be a human.”

🌟 One of the worst thing people can do and specially parents is comparing brothers/ sisters. Because Everybody is a genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid

*drowning in deepness*

🌟 The reason I am saying this is that I don’t like Joh
Kales
This was like a weird mix between READY PLAYER ONE, SIGNS and TASH HEARTS TOLSTOY. I feel like this is going to be one of those books that stays in my head for a while, rolls around a bit in tar, feathers, gum, jelly (see what I did there?) and muddy about until I figure out exactly how I feel about it. So this review might be a little rambley and will probably change.

Admittedly, I picked up this book because it was written by Hank Green, John Green's brother and youtuber extraordinaire. That sa
☙ percy ❧
Sep 21, 2017 marked it as tbr-priority  ·  review of another edition
*kicks down the door of every single person on the planet* Y'ALL, GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ngl i've always liked hank more than john and i'm so excited i think i'm gonna scream
Carol (Bookaria)
This is a story about identity, friendship, and the effects of sudden fame. The last being a common event in this age of information and social media.

April, the main character, suddenly becomes internationally-famous when a video she made with a friend goes viral. We follow her through her journey.

I picked up the book because I've enjoyed John Green's books in the past, specially TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN and THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. The author of this book is his brother so I imagined I'd see Jo
Mari
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, botm
In the spirit of full disclosure, I work part-time for a company Hank Green owns. I bought this book for myself, however, with a preorder that predated the job.

After I got the book on my Kindle, I decided to splurge and buy the audiobook and I'm so happy that I did. Kristen Sieh did a great job as April May and the tone of this book is so conversational that I think it was best read aloud. I think I also benefited from putting that distance between Hank Green's voice and April May's voice. There
Billie
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was a thing that I read. I mean, it was fun and I love a good cipher, but it was very...moral, wasn't it? Like, at the end, the message/moral (Good things happen when the whole world works together! And it's fun!) started getting in the way of the story. And April May, the protagonist—for as much as Green tries to dull her sparkle— is still a bit of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl, with the added bonus of being the Chosen One because even the Carls aren't immune to her quirky charm.

But, as
Vitor Martins
eu não sabia muito bem o que esperar desse livro e o que eu encontrei aqui, definitivamente, me surpreendeu muito. eu passei boa parte da leitura com BIRRA da protagonista e dos personagens secundários que me pareciam rasos demais, mas conforme a narrativa foi me dando as peças que eu precisava pra entender a mensagem da minha maneira, fui ficando fascinado pelas ideias malucas de hank green.

assim que eu terminei a última página (berrando), chamei rafael para contar pra ele um pouco sobre o liv
Telthor
2.5, and I can't decide if I'm rounding up or down and have flipflopped like three times, but down because of all the memes.

*insert very large shrug here*

I hate the phrase "millennial humor" -- but I think that's what this book is. The sort of humor that fills tumblr to the brim. Where random phrases are CAPSLOCKED, and characters swear in new and interesting ways, and we throw memes around like confetti (including extremely dated ones, like "Hide yo' kids, hide yo' wife" from freaking 2010).

A
Joce (squibblesreads)
I was really excited for this book because a few friends of mine (both in the book community and irl) went to his signing events and enjoyed his commentary and his presence, and they said I would enjoy this. I listened to 100% of it on audio.

The tone reminded me so much of Ready Player One, which was interesting because RPO has a male narrator and here we have April May, who is a young adult woman. The best way I can describe this similar tone is extremely conversational like the narrator is tal
The Full Bookshelf Reviews
Since no one has written a pre-book review yet, I guess that I will. Although I will leave out star ratings. (I know people hate that.)

John Green is a genius. Hank Green is a genius. Together, the make up the genius that is Vlogbrothers, and CrashCourse World History and Psychology. Although, if you are not, like me, a devoted Nerdfighter, John has been stealing the spotlight for years. 5 novels and a long short story, several more books for the HPA and Project for Awesome. The man who made the
Janel
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think it’s going to surprise anyone that I didn’t like this, but it is just a big no from me.
Writing like this, one step of plot and then five steps of “here’s my opinion on society!!!!” never really works for me, and I was telling myself “well at least I’ll have read it and be done with it,” but of course it was a “cliffhanger” ending so THERE IS THAT.
Hank Green started making YouTube videos in 2007 with his brother, John. They thought it was a dumb idea, but it turned out well. He is now the CEO of Complexly, which produces SciShow, Crash Course and nearly a dozen other educational YouTube channels, prompting The Washington Post to name him "one of America's most popular science teachers." Green co-founded a number of other businesses, includi ...more

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing (2 books)
  • Untitled (An Absolutely Remarkable Thing #2)
“Behold the field in which I grow my fucks. Lay thine eyes upon it and see that it is barren.” 52 likes
“Just because someone has power over you doesn’t mean they’re going to use it to hurt you. People who believe that tend to either be:

People who have been victims of that sort of behavior, or . . .