Start by marking “She's the Worst” as Want to Read:
She's the Worst

She's the Worst

Published September 3rd 2019 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about She's the Worst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She's the Worst

Start your review of She's the Worst
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Apr 07, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
She really is...

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy this book
Jaye Berry
Oct 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary, 2019, ya, library
This entire book is the worst.

She's the Worst is about two sisters named April and Jenn. One summer day, April notices her sister Jenn is sad about how her boyfriend Tom is leaving for college. So April decides to cheer her up by taking her around LA to different places from their childhood, only things don't go as planned. When April learns a secret Jenn has been keeping, it could tear their family apart.

What I wanted out of this book: two sisters who drifted away rebonding and having fun but w
laurel [suspected bibliophile]

April's sister Jenn is leaving for college...tomorrow. Well, she would be leaving, except she's staying home to go to community college after getting declined from Stanford. Noticing that her sister has been sad, April plans a Sister Fun Day to give Jenn the best of LA before she starts school. And maybe to connect...except they've been apart for so long that rekindling their friendship might be harder than expected.

What can I say except—I loved how April and Jenn were written. They wer
Sana
Feb 24, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
I'm always saying how we need more books about sisters and this happens :prayer hands emoji:
Samantha (WLABB)
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
In an effort to reconnect with her older sister, April plans a little walk down memory lane filled with various L.A. locations, which she thought were meaningful in their shared history. April may have missed the mark, but the outing resulted in something positive for these two after all.

I love a good sister story, and this one delighted me.

Jenn and April were like night and day, but once upon a time, they were thick as thieves. I was really rooting for these two to mend those fences and renew t
Trianna/Treereads
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
1.5/5

First of all, idk where all the positive review for this book came from. I literally did not like anything about this book. The 1.5 is solely because I like the idea of exploring messy sister relationships and exploring LA.

This entire book could have been solved if the family talked to each other. Like if they sat down and had a mediated conversation, there would be no plot. I wish they had talked in the first 10 pages and I did not have to suffer through this.

The parents are such bad pa
Vinny —.:* Artsy Draft
The full review can be found on Artsy Draft.

She’s the Worst was a fun family-oriented story. The dynamic characters combined with the adventurous one-day plot could be a huge potential if the writer didn’t use ineffective communication and manipulation as the ultimate source of the problems. There were many aspects that Spieller could use to spark more drama within this story without making everyone always screams at everyone.

Thank you to the author and The FFBC Team for providing me with an adv
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
May 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: may-2020
DNF at 34% I can't. I just can't force myself to finish this book because I hate every single character. They are the worst and like every review said--if they had just talked there would be no conflict. Can we also talk about how everyone is so selfish??? Like think about the other person for once instead of thinking the worst of them. Moving to the parents--GET A DIVORCE YOU GUYS ARE AWFUL PEOPLE.
Jessica | Booked J
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2019
(3.5 stars) Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can be found here at Booked J.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Admittedly, I had a massive moment of weakness when it came to She's the Worst and its design. I loved the pose of the cover, the typography and the dazed pastel pink. So, fine, I totally judged a book by its cover, but it's fine. I'm the worst.

Which is oddly fit
Tiffany (Read By Tiffany)
As a SoCal native, I’m always excited to read a story set in Los Angeles, and this book read like an appreciation letter to the city while simultaneously exploring the complexities of family relationships. ☀️ She’s the Worst follows the perspectives of April and Jenn, two sisters who spend a day together touring their hometown in hopes of restoring their relationship before Jenn leaves for college. While this book flew by as a quick and entertaining read, I did think that it lacked a certain spa ...more
Alexa
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Read with Rachel for Friends with ARCs!

I am always on the hunt for new sister stories, and I think She’s the Worst felt like a particularly good example of how complicated sister relationships can get.
chloe yeung ♡
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
i received a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. all opinions below are my own.

my sister’s two years younger than me, and sometimes i just can’t help thinking – she’s the worst. the absolute worst. i always get annoyed by the littlest things she does, and reading this story from the perspective of the younger sibling was such a refreshing experience – i understood that sometimes things are not what they seem on the surface, and that to maintain a good relationship with my
Catalina
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh dear where to start. I really enjoyed the debut novel from the author and this one fell flat.

So 99 % of the problems in this book could have been solved if the characters just talked to each other more. Like the miscommunication pissed me off so much.
The characters were all one sided. I saw no real diverse character personality types. I kept forgetting what sister I was reading the POV from.
Not to mention how selfish every person in their family unit was being.
And for fucks sake those tox
Rachel Solomon
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Official blurb: "Part sister story, part romantic comedy, SHE'S THE WORST spotlights two bold, ambitious girls trying to rebuild their fractured relationship. I devoured this love letter to summer, sisterhood, and Los Angeles."
avaa
May 15, 2020 marked it as dnf
dnf @60%

I just do not want to
Dana (Devour books with Dana)
Thank you to the publishers and author for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sisters April and Jenn haven’t been close in years. Jenn’s too busy with school, the family antique shop, and her boyfriend, and April would rather play soccer and hang out with the boy next door. But when April notices her older sister is sad about staying home for college, she decides to do something about it. The girls set off to revive a pact they made as kids: spend an epic day exploring the grea
Melissa Jacobson
Actual rating 4.5

E-arc provided by netgalley

This was such a heartwarming and unique contemporary. I loved how it focused on family and sibling dynamics above all else. And then little romance that was present only served to strengthen the book.

All the good aside though I did find the ending to be a little too convenient for my liking but that was such a minor negative amidst all of the great parts of this book. Overall I highly recommend this unique contemporary!

Booktalk - https://youtu.be/3u
Krysti
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy heartwarming sister stories, bingeable books, and novels where the setting is truly a character, then you will love SHE’S THE WORST! This is easily a one-sitting read that will keep you hooked from start to finish. There’s also an adorable romance subplot that I, of course, loved. This is a must-read for YA contemporary fans.
Belle Ellrich
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I WAS PROVIDED A PHYSICAL ARC FROM THE PUBLISHER IN RETURN FOR MY HONEST REVIEW. THIS DOESN'T AFFECT MY OPINION*

Have you ever gotten into a big fight with your sibling(s)? Or maybe a long-term fight with a friend? This book is full of those, but in the best ways possible.

April just wants to have a day to reconcile with her older sister Jenn, and she wants to make amends with her. Until Jenn drops the bombshell that throws the whole day into smithereens.

Somethings I really liked about this book
Katherine Paschal
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review is also found at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

April is the black sheep of her family, seen as the irresponsible younger sister, but in reality she works hard at soccer and even may have a future due to her skills. Jenn is the diligent, hard working older sister who just can't deal with her parent's fighting anymore- and has a secret looming over her. April knows that something is bothering Jenn but since they are not close anymore she has no idea what. Instead, she decide
Rameela (Star)
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full review to come as a part of the FFBC blog tour! My review will be up on September 1st!

Initial thoughts: that was WILD. Though the secret wasn’t what I was expecting, this was truly an intense experience! A real rollercoaster of emotion!
Cassie
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

As someone who has just one younger brother (who I get along with great, just FYI), I have always wondered what life would have been like if I had a sister. I had friends who had various levels of closeness with their sisters and have always been fascinated by the sisterly dynamic. I guess that’s why I also enjoy reading books/watching shows (or movies) that also focus on this unique sibling bond and was really excited for Sh
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: egalley
Spieller's debut, Your Destination Is on the Left, was a fantastic, voice-driven contemporary novel that I enjoyed the hell out of, despite it not being thematically my usual sort of read. I'm thrilled to report that that same skill for voice and character is readily apparent in She's the Worst. The story centers on two sisters who are no longer particularly close, and that relationship is the crucial one to the novel. There is an adorable romance in here, too, which obvs I was into, but, really ...more
Emily Nicholas | Emily The Book Nerd
REVIEW FOUND ON BLOG
*Thank you to The FFBC, Lauren Spieller, and Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers for sending me an advance copy of She's the Worst!*

I love books that center around family. As a little girl, I always wanted a sister. Sadly, I don't have one. However, I always use books to live vicariously through. Immediately, after picking up She's the Worst, I became fully immersed in the story. It had everything going in a novel that I look for w
Enchanting Literature
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive this arc from Lauren in exchange for an honest review.

So first things first, Thank You Lauren for giving me the chance to read your story!! I stumbled upon the description and thought it would be a fun summer read. I absolutely adored this book but it wasn't quite the "fun summer" read I thought it would be. You know what they say about judging a book on the cover? They were right, this super cute cover had me fooled in the best way. How quickly I realized this was
The Clever Reader
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adore sister books. I am so close to mine that when there are books about sister’s I try to make sure to read them. This one is no exception in showing the complicated relationship that two sisters can have during their teen years.
April and Jenn remind me of my relationship with my sister during my high school years. I was busy working and going to school and with three years between us we hadn’t walked the same hallways in years. We weren’t close but we did have great parents who supported an
Janelle Hackbarth
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
I had read the author's debut book, "Your Destination Is On the Left" and almost immediately after (maybe even before) finishing it, I looked up any other books she had coming out and immediately added this one to my list. I was thankfully able to get a sneak at the first couple of chapters before getting a physical advanced copy at YallWest.

If you are a fan of "Your Destination Is On the Left", then you should definitely pick up this one. Even though this book is not a sequel to her prior one,
Jordan (The Heart of a Book Blogger)
This review and more can be found at The Heart of a Book Blogger.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets 10 Things I Hate About You in Lauren Spieller’s latest novel, She’s the Worst! She’s the Worst follows two sisters, April and Jenn, who haven’t been close in many years but try to reconnect on the eve of Jenn heading off to college. I loved the sisters’ messy relationship! Even though I don’t have a sister, I could definitely relate to some of the bickering with my younger brother who has a very diffe
Marie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases
I think this one had such a great premise and so much potential, but somehow... it lacked something. I missed depth in the sisters and their relationship overall, which made me a little sad, because the premise as a whole was such a fantastic idea. That being said, She's the Worst was still a fun, quick and very entertaining read I'd recommend for fans of YA contemporary, looking for a quick read :)

Thank you to the author & NetGalley for the e-ARC of this book. This did not, in any way, influenc
Lauren R.
I really liked this! It just felt super real for a sister relationship (not reflective of my own at all, but felt like it could be so true for others - constantly feeling like the other had the "better" situation at home and not seeing the other person's point of view). I loved their day exploring LA and getting to know each other again. The parents were the FUCKING WORST. Some of my least favorite I've ever read, probably. This covered a lot of different things but managed to balance everything ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Don't Read the Comments
  • You Say It First
  • How to Speak Boy
  • Time of Our Lives
Lauren Spieller is a literary agent who lives in New York with her husband. When she isn’t writing, she can be found drinking lattes, pining for every dog she sees, or visiting her native California. YOUR DESTINATION IS ON THE LEFT is her debut novel. Follow her on Twitter @laurenspieller.