Start by marking “Melissa and Kasho” as Want to Read:
Melissa and Kasho

Melissa and Kasho

Melissa, a shy teenage girl, feels lost in a transnational high society world that drives her to the depths of despair. But her attraction to the very human Kasho, who has snippets of philosophy to impart, eventually enables her to develop her own strengths.
But Kasho doesn't dwell physically on Earth.
Melissa's realistic story traverses class, gender, and power dynamics. Sh
Published March 17th 2018 by Austin Macauley Publishers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Melissa and Kasho, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Melissa and Kasho

Jessica Bronder
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is 1958 and Melissa is in Florence, Italy at a finishing school. We follow along as she navigates school but also as she remembers her parents and their brutality. Her parents believed they were high class and trying to mold Melissa into the perfect high class girl. The problem is Melissa is too much of a free spirit and individual. Of course this behavior is not acceptable so her parents abuse and terrorize her to follow their direction.

They finally have enough and decide to ship her off to
Maureen Moyes
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I was offered a copy of this book to review on my book blog and whilst it is not a book I would normally choose – science fiction fantasy. However, I was intrigued by the blurb and I found this to be an inspirational story for young adult readers.

The author, Camilla Chance, has created a story with a strong message. The writing is creative, realistic and expressive with memorable characters.

The book is set during the late 1950s and is a moving coming-of-age story which remains relevant in today’
Beth Ann
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was happy to receive an ARC of Melissa and Kasha for review purposes and found author Camilla Chance to be a very talented and gifted writer. Her style of writing was compelling and while I am not usually a fantasy genre reader I found myself enjoying this novel with each page.

The theme throughout was a strong message for women and young women alike and could be quite an encouraging book to be gifted to a young woman. Melissa and Kasho find one another to be soulmates and the message is loud
Amy Rosenberg
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! A vivid and moving coming-of-age story that takes place in the 1950’s but is still very relevant today. Sent to a finishing school in Florence, Italy, by her controlling parents, Melissa connects with the spirit Kasho who helps guide her to new possibilities in life and friendship. The characters are memorable, the storytelling expressive and compelling. A great read for young girls and their parents. I was routing for Melissa all the way.
Nicolette Mustafa
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a fan of science fiction or fantasy, I was a little uncertain how I would get on when invited to read and review this book.
I should not have woried unduly. Melissa & Kasha proved a compelling read, encompassing the full gamut of emotions, as well as a range of complex issues with which young, as well as the not so young, may have to grapple.
The writing is vivid, descriptive and very imaginative. One is soon caught up in the journey of awakening of the sensitive soul portrayed by Melissa.
Lovely Loveday
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Camilla Chance is an excellent storyteller writing with a uniquely vivid and creative touch. Melissa and Kasho is a science fiction fantasy that will draw you into a world unlike any other where the feeling that someone is watching you and mystery surrounds every corner. An interesting plot that weaves hidden issues and real life issues into a story that is sure to leave a mark. Overall, this is not a book that I would have chosen for myself and it did not disappoint.
Paula Kalamaras
Outstanding book. Despite a historical (1959) setting, this book speaks to young women of today with topics ranging from classism, parental abuse, sexual abuse, rape, suicide, and ultimately a young woman's spiritual and personal growth. It's all set in a fabulous story replete with a ghostly spirit in the form of Kasho, an indigenous man who crosses time and space to love and aid Melissa. Friendship, faith and that touch of paranormal romance, taking place in a private finishing school in Flore ...more
Emily
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It all works. The writing, the characters and fascinating story line. It's a moving and riveting novel

Melissa and Kasho takes place in 1958 in Australia and Florence, Italy. Melissa is the daughter of Australian parents who abuse her emotionally and physically in their effort to break her enlightened spirit and mold her in the starched image of an arrogant, privileged daughter of the ruling class. Thinking to complete her education, they send her to a finishing school in Floren
Susan Gammage
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m a BIG fan of Camilla Chance’s first book, Wisdom Man and was very eager to read her new book, Melissa and Kasho. Although the earlier one is a biographical memoir and this is a young adult fantasy “coming of age” story, set in the 1950’s, I wasn’t disappointed.

This sensitive, deeply spiritual (but not preachy) novel shows the power of parents to crush a child’s creativity, hopes and dreams. We watch teen-aged Melissa, traumatized by years of neglect, abuse, power, control and oppressive clas
BobK
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young women, girls and male who want to understand them better.
Recommended to BobK by: Author, Camilla Chance
I had the privilege of reading an advance copy of Camilla Chance's new novel, “Melissa and Kasho”. Clearly the story's mind-expanding message is from and for women...especially ones moving into relationships. They, more than males, suffer in the dark world of predatory abuse.

The possibilities demonstrated in reading Melissa and Kasho not only suggest that we’re not alone but even more that other beings in “other” places may well be watching over us.

Without a hint of doctrine or dogma, and in t
Sherri Rosen
Mar 02, 2018
Camilla Chance
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Nadema Agard