Start by marking “The Other Woman” as Want to Read:
The Other Woman

The Other Woman

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  61,335 ratings  ·  7,097 reviews

The most twisty, addictive and gripping debut thriller you'll read this year.

HE LOVES YOU: Adam adores Emily. Emily thinks Adam’s perfect, the man she thought she’d never meet.

BUT SHE LOVES YOU NOT: Lurking in the shadows is a rival, a woman who shares a deep bond with the man she loves.

AND SHE'LL STOP AT NOTHING: Emily chose Adam, but she didn’t choose his mother Pammie.

Published August 21st 2018 by Minotaur Books (first published March 29th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Woman, please sign up.
Cathy I so agree. The summary of the novel can be found anywhere it's available. When I read reviews I want to know what the reader thought about it and why…moreI so agree. The summary of the novel can be found anywhere it's available. When I read reviews I want to know what the reader thought about it and why: what was good, what was bad. And this is what a good review is about. Not an essay of the plot. I only include a very short summary of the book, firstly, to make sense of any pluses or minuses to anyone reading the review, secondly, if I reread a review of mine of old, a few words just trigger my memory of what it was about. I skip any reviews that are long. Reviews should be snappy, relevant, concise. At the same time, anyone who merely says 'it's okay', 'didn't like it', should be banned from writing reviews.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dale Rosenberg I think this is one of many plot flaws in the book. There's also the question of why Emily hides her meetings with James. She doesn't have sex with hi…moreI think this is one of many plot flaws in the book. There's also the question of why Emily hides her meetings with James. She doesn't have sex with him and it only becomes such an issue (or would, in a normal relationship), because she hides it. And if all James told Pammie about Emily was that he had feelings for her, how does she know that Emily met him at a bar and dressed up for it, so she can torture about that at the hen weekend? And how did we go from Pammie and James trying to tell her not to answer the door because Adam "found out about James" to Adam deciding that James wouldn't have tried to get Adam to stop fucking other women unless he was having an affair with Emily, which is completely bizarre. I think the author just couldn't come up with a way for him to have found out.

But the worst flaw is Pammie and her motivations. She seems to be so gleeful in the awful things she does to Emily. And they are so mean!
If she just wanted to break them up, she wouldn't have to be so cruel to Emily and then have Emily complain to Adam and Adam get mad at Emily for saying his mother is mean. She could directly influence Adam - she knows he's insanely jealous and controlling and she could convince him Emily is cheating on him, or even lie and say Emily told her she had cheated. She is convincingly evil from the beginning, just to make the plot twist a surprise. In the foreword Pammie says she "almost feels sympathy" for Emily knowing that she won't really get married. This is the establishing scene that lets us know Pammie is evil. Since she isn't really, she would feel sympathy for Emily while she's doing awful stuff to her.

I'm not sure how to rate this book. It's full of flaws, and it's so clear that Adam is really awful and hard to see how Emily can't see it. OTOH, I really liked Emily and her friends and was very interested to see how it would all pan out.(less)

·  61,335 ratings  ·  7,097 reviews

Start your review of The Other Woman
Meredith
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

The Other Woman is a wildly entertaining psychological thriller that's, unfortunately, more about the twist than substance.

The plot: Emily meets the love of her life, Adam. Adam is a pretentious ass and treats Emily like dirt. His mother, Pammie, treats her even worse and Emily thinks she's a psycho. Then there’s James, Adam’s brother whom Emily has the hots for. But hey, it must be true love because Emily is going to marry Adam no matter who or what gets in her way, including his
Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Minotaur Books
I actually finished this a couple of days ago, but I’ve been sitting here wondering what I can say other than WOW. This was completely unexpected in the best way possible. You’ll want to go in blind people, as it reads best knowing nothing ahead of time, but all I can say for now is you definitely want to add this to your reading list for 2018! 😱😱😱 Fans of twisty, tense, psychological suspense (see what I did there?!) will eat this one up! Absolutely floored that this is a debut!

*Thanks Minotau
Dita
Sep 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, but this book is a Kardashian; famous for somehow, inexplicably being famous even though it is utterly devoid of substance.

I know everyone is losing it over this book and I feel like I am always the voice of dissent but COME ON. This author "borrowed" shamelessly from three familiar books and/or movies, slapped them all together and hoped no one would notice.

I loathed Emily; she was weak, spineless, needy and mute at all of the wrong times but prolific when she needed to just shut it. It
Debra
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Holy Crap!!! What did I just read!?! I DID not see that ending coming - not at all!!!

Emily has finally met the perfect man. Adam is caring, attentive, and loving. After a heart-breaking betrayal and breakup and after a few years of dates that led nowhere, Emily has finally found the one. The only downside - he seems to be unnaturally close to his Mother, Pammie.

His super closeness to his mother might be easy to overlook if Pammie was not quite so despicable and hell bent on ruining thei
j e w e l s
3 STARS

I admit it, this book took me forever to finish! Never a good sign. The plot is fine, but the characters are so trite and stereotyped and I WAS SO BORED. You guys know I'm not a fan of the helpless, hand wringing "heroine" and yep, that's what we have in our girl, Emily. C'mon, Emily!! Wake up and smell the coffee! That family you are about to marry into? They are so SHADY! Run for the hills!

There is a character you will love to hate in the form of future mother-in-law, Pammie. Pammie's p
Melisa
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars - Buddy read with Holly B!

I would just like to state for the record that I officially read too many psychological thrillers and my inner detective will not go away - once again I had it figured out early on so I have to say, I can’t rate thrillers anymore based on the twist. I am unfortunately bound to figure it out😩 (someone please stump me!!). So based on this one, I have to say it was crazy well done (emphasis on the crazy!) in general.

I love love loved to hate these characters -
Ova - Excuse My Reading
A very resisted DNF. I really tried to finish this book but couldn't. Really didn't like it.

The dialogue between Emily and Adam. It felt so fabricated. Also Emily acts like an idiot.
I couldn't stand to read a book about Emily, dedicated to bag Adam, happy to shut up and take things as he pleases. The world is full of Emily's with low self esteem, it just hurts to read about them running after a man as it's life or death, as if this is normal! Sorry.

There is no problem with structure. The plot i
Kaceey
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
At long last, Emily has finally found the man of her dreams...Adam. Just one itsy-bitsy problem. Marrying Adam also means marrying the other woman in his life.... his mother!!

Pamela (Pammie), the soon to be mother-in-law is going to do whatever it takes to drive a permanent wedge between her darling sonny boy and his soon to be wife.

Or even better, if she can pull it off, get Emily out of the picture…permanently!

Wow! I’ve heard of some awful mother in laws but this one really took the cake. She
Linda
Hand on the doorknob......

Creaking hinges as a shaft of light appears revealing heavy cobwebs.

And you.....you will be whispering hoarsely to Emily to slam that stinkin' door and book a flight to Poughkeepsie..... one way.

You see, Emily has met someone. She's a hard working top consultant at Faulkner's in London. Her fellow associates are taking a break during a meeting at a local pub. Emily is parched and works her way over to the bar for a glass of wine. She finds herself bantering back and for
Deanna
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2018
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

3.5 Stars!

Emily was content with life. Her job was going well and she had some great friends. She wasn't even looking for a boyfriend. But then she met Adam, the man of her dreams.

Soon she's seeing Adam almost every night. Her friends wonder if she's moving too fast and are also a little miffed because they feel like they never see her anymore. But she's never felt this way before. Adam makes her feel safe. But after they'v
Berit☀️✨
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
4.5 Marvelously Manipulative Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟.5

WOW! HOT damn! Another Flippin fantastic read! With an ending that left me speechless... and anyone that knows me knows how difficult that is! This is a book best gone into blind... I’d recommend reading very few reviews, but read mind of course!😉

What do you do when the “other woman“ is your significant other’s mother? And to clarify what I mean by this is your S/O is overly emotionally tied to his mother.... I mean like he drop everything to go buy her s
Jan
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, suspense
Cliche' after cliche', contradiction after contradiction, eye roll after eye roll....

The whole premise was just too absurd for me to take seriously.

Others have had much better luck with this though, so what the heck do I know?

ARC provided by NetGalley
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan)
Buddy read w/ Melisa .... 4.5 STARS

This has a twisty plot and is an addictive page turner with a quirky cast of characters….

Enter Pammie - Controlling mother like no other! A bit of advice to Emily (her soon to be daughter in law), pack your bags and RUN.

Unfortunately, Emily is one of those friends who won’t listen to anyone because she knows best. She loves Adam with all her heart and won’t allow anyone to come between them (so she thinks anyway).

Can I just say…the war is on and Pammie doesn’t
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
3 stars.

Interesting plot. Suspenseful intrigue. Unforgettable characters.

This story follows Emily, who has met handsome and successful Adam, the man of her dreams. They fall in love and are engaged within months. Things begin to drastically change when Emily meets her future mother-in-law, Pammie. Pammie is a character I will not soon forget! I’m so glad that my mother-in-law is nothing like her!

This book is intense and will keep you flipping the pages. There were many moments I found my mouth
Katie B
This book was a fun, crazy, and at times maddening trip! Emily is dating Adam and things are going great until she meets his mother, Pammie. It seems like Pammie will stop at nothing to keep the two of them apart.

I felt such anxiety when reading this one because it plays on one of my fears which is the mother in law from hell. I actually have a nice, normal mother in law but I guess knowing I was lucky and dodged a bullet there makes these type of stories just freak me out more than reading a n
Malia
I was worried this book would not live up to the hype, but am am happy I was wrong. The Other Woman is a clever page-turner and the ending delivered a twist I did not see coming! I did have trouble understanding why Emily stayed with Adam in light of all the trouble the relationship was causing, her (not spoiler, don't worry!), but other than that, I really enjoyed this book. I won't go too much into the plot, because I really don't want to reveal anything that would spoil it, all I wil
Liz
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio

This starts off as a bit of a swarmy romance and I really debated whether to continue. It takes a while for it to get creepy. But once Pammie arrives on the scene, it gets interesting.

Now, I have to say, If I had been Emily, I would have run away from Adam screaming because it was obvious that his mother comes first in his heart. And that would be a problem regardless. I kept wondering if I was in my 20s and unmarried would I have been more willing to try to make the relationship work, like Emi
Michelle
Here we have a love triangle of a different sort. That of a mother, a son, and his soon to be fiance. Yet love is not really a word I would use in this particular scenario. Because mother, Pammie, despises her son Adam's fiance, Emily, and she will stop at nothing to keep the two apart.

I need to give Sandie Jones credit in creating a wicked villain in Pammie. She is the reason why I continued to flip the pages. Every word that came from her mouth made me seethe with fury. Initially my heart bro
Theresa Alan
For most of this novel, I thought of it as being a solid, stress-inducing book—in a good way. I like books that have a twist, unfortunately, the twist at the end of this one didn’t ring true to me.

I liked Emily, and disliked Pammie so much, that I found this to be an absolute page turner, hoping that somehow things would work out for Emily.

Emily meets handsome Adam at a bar during a conference. Sparks fly, and though they’ve only been dating a short time, when you know, you know. Right? Until he
Carrie
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Other Woman by Sandie Jones is another of those books that make me crave popcorn once I pick them up and start reading. It’s the type of story that early on you get the entire general idea of what will happen but still fun to sit back and wait for the fireworks and enjoy the show along the way.

Emily has come out of a relationship where she caught her boyfriend cheating with a good friend of hers so she’s a bit hesitant to get back in the game until she meets Adam. The more Emily gets to know
Sara
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"The Other Woman is an addictive, fast-paced psychological thriller"
No, no it's not! Nothing was fast-paced and it surely wasn't a thriller. It was just a story about three crazy people and I honestly can't say who annoyed me the most. Every other chapter I just rolled my eyes, I was bored and everything felt like a damn cliché. The last few chapters - just no!
Overall I didn't care for any of them and lately I just can't catch a break with these "psychological thrillers"
Gary
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good debut novel by author Sandie Jones that makes me eagerly anticipate further books from this new thriller writer.
Emily falls in love with Adam and there is no doubt in her mind that she has found her true love. But circumstances change when she encounters the other woman, Pammie. Pammie is Adam's mother and seems to be on a mission to keep them apart, but how far will she go to succeed.
This psychological thriller is full of good characters and I found it compelling with its w
Gabby
This one was another book I read for a video that I ended up being super disappointed by, I explain it all including some spoilers at the end of this reading vlog: https://youtu.be/RArwmn0Uvhg ...more
Kendall
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Other Woman is a thrilling ride to the say the least that Sandie Jones takes us on!

So.. have to be honest I really struggled with rating this one. Did this novel keep me on the edge of my toes and give me one hell of a ride?! Heck yes.. but on the other hand this is a plot that we have seen before.

My mind kept going back and forth to The Girlfriend by Michelle Frances. This is a very similar plot line as this story but Sandie takes a slightly different right turn on this drive....

I was full
Marialyce
3.5 boy was she manipulative stars

"A car is like a mother-in-law - if you let it, it will rule your life." (Jamie Lerner)

Emily meets Adam and the wheels spin and romance is in the air. Emily had previously been in a relationship where she has lost her main squeeze to her best friend having come upon them in what might be classified as a compromising position. Devastated Emily, finds eventually a man who she think is her perfect man, Adam. He is loving, generous, kind, handsome, and wealthy. He
Louise Wilson
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily thinks Adam is perfect; the man she thought she would never meet. But lurking in the shadows is a rival; a woman sho shares a deep bond with the man she loves.

They say love is blind and there has never been a truer saying to describe what's happening in this book. When Emily meets the other love in Adams life, his mother Pammie, she is not met with the most pleasant person. Pammie does everything she can to break them up. Even saying she has a terminal illness so that her son would cancel
Susanne  Strong
3.5 Stars* (rounded down)

When Emily meets Adam she immediately knows that she wants to snatch him up and she does exactly that. Emily however, has no idea that Adam is a mama's boy. From the get go, his mother Pammie is not a fan of Em’s and she appears to have it in for her - in the biggest way possible: by lying, tricking her and making her look as bad as possible in front of her son in hopes that he’ll break it off. The lengths this woman goes to.. talk about hella entertaining. Adam of cour
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Lindsay and I read The Other Woman with four of our Traveling Sisters and we all pretty much had the same thoughts on this one till that shocking reveal that split us into two different coulees.

The Other Woman is a fun and entertaining domestic suspense thriller with some very unlikable characters. The kind you just love to hate and the kind the can cause you to question them and this created some discussion for us. Our favorite character here that we loved to hate was “the other woman” Pammie
Sheri
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, 2018
The cover states it perfectly: He loves me. She loves me not. These two short and simple sentences could be uttered by either of the women depicted in this tightly wound tale.

This suspenseful read will have you questioning just who the villain is. Is Pammie truly a vindictive mother-in-law or is Emily an unreliable narrator? Throughout the book, I alternately found myself siding with each woman. Pammie could be ice cold, but there were also times where Emily seemed to be blowing things out of pr
Danielle Rotko
Jun 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
This book was not at all what I expected. It is described as an “addicting and gripping thriller,” but it read more like a Lifetime movie to me. I was so bored. I didn’t enjoy a single character in this book, especially the protagonist Emily. Wow did she annoy me. If you like reading about weak, helpless females with absolutely zero sense of empowerment, this is the book for you! I honestly felt myself rolling my eyes 90% of the time I was reading this. The end felt sloppy and rushed, and the ‘t ...more
books 1 3 Jun 25, 2020 11:06AM
A Novel Idea Book...: MAY Discussion: The Other Woman 1 5 Apr 30, 2020 06:52AM
A Novel Idea Book...: MAY Book: The Other Woman by Sandie Jones 1 1 Apr 30, 2020 06:51AM
Bookish First Rea...: The Other Woman by Sandie Jones 2 10 Oct 22, 2019 11:11AM
Play Book Tag: The Other Woman by Sandie Jones - 5 Stars 3 20 Jul 21, 2019 02:56PM

• The Last House Guest
  • Watching You
  • Someone We Know
  • The Family Upstairs
  • The Turn of the Key
  • The Proposal (The Wedding Date, #2)
  • My Lovely Wife
  • The Wife Stalker
Sandie Jones has worked as a freelance journalist for over twenty years, and has written for publications including the Sunday Times, Woman’s Weekly and the Daily Mail. She lives in London with her husband and three children. The Other Woman is her debut novel.

Articles featuring this book

Every genre has its breakout stars, and mystery & thriller is no exception. For this roundup, we took a look at new and emerging...
“There’s something about your mother’s voice that nobody else can replicate.” 6 likes
“You’re never too old for your mum to care about you,” 5 likes