Start by marking “The Firebird” as Want to Read:
The Firebird

The Firebird

What is true evil? How do you fight it?

Since she was little, Lada wanted to be part of the Order of Fennarin, one of the warrior-monks who are the last bastion in a war against the demons and insurgents that threaten her island home. Yet to achieve her dream, Lada turned blood traitor, her decision leading to the death and exile of her family.

Her betrayal comes to haunt he
ebook, First, 80 pages
Published February 27th 2018 by Nerine Dorman

To ask other readers questions about The Firebird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Firebird

Belinda Lewis
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely fantasy novella with surprisingly complex social commentary, a warm water ocean island setting and lemurs.
Tizzy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: Nerine Dorman is my editor. This is the first work of hers I read, and I read it out of my own volition. I was in no way involved in the writing or editing of this novella.

Fantasy can come in many forms. The best-known kind of fantasy involves a princess aptly locked up in a tower, a dragon, and a prince in shining armor rushing to save her. It’s European fantasy alright, and its popularity comes from the dissemination European (and later on, American) culture have experienced t
Nerine Dorman
Jan 31, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
No rating because, well, duh. I'm the author.

I'm also not going to tell you how awesome this little story is, except to say that it's a concept that is very close to my heart.

Also, non-Eurocentric, secondary-world fantasy setting. If you're looking for something that *doesn't* have knights, towers, wizards and distressed damsels, then you might like this book.
Lukasz
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5/5

Lada is one of the warrior-monks of the Order of Fennarin who oppose the demons and insurgents that threaten her home. When she joined the Order, she betrayed her kin. When her long-lost brother Ailal is captured, elders demand Lada oversee his trial.

She must consider, once again, whose side is the right one.

The plot of Firebird isn’t all that original, but it doesn’t have to be. The reader cares less about what’s actually happening than about what makes these characters tic
Lia Patterson
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this novella while on holiday on a tropical volcanic island, which turned out to be very fitting, as the story is set in just such a place. The non-Eurocentric setting is also what attracted me to it in the first place. It's rare to find a protagonist walking through a tropical forest with all its scents and sounds (there's even lemurs!) and Nerine Dorman really brings it to life.

This is a dark fantasy story, so don't expect any light-hearted romance or a happy ending for everybody, but i
A. B. Neilly
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing ride via the terrific consequences of fanaticism and betrayal in a fantasy world.

Lada is a warrior monk who follows her elders' advice to protect her island from the attack of demons. She is so convinced of her ideology that she will betray her own blood in the fight for a better life.
From the start, we follow the travel of this woman through the horrendous sacrifice she made in the past, and what she must do in the present to get rid of the devils who threaten her land.
The problem is
Barry Gill
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a gem of a story!

I was thoroughly engrossed in this short story from the get-go.

A fast-paced and very thought-provoking piece of fantasy.

I find myself hoping Nerine will explore the world she has built in a series of stories like this.
The format is brilliant, I love the first person inner dialogue that tells the story and I think that the characters she has made have a good mix of emotions driving their actions. These are not flat, standard heroes. They have guilt and doubt and fear an
Frieda
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow! In the end, I read this in one sitting.

For the first half I felt her deep guilt, the pain of it crippling. How to live with that? But the ending just blew it up! Just amazing!
Tanja Wessels
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved reading this book. It is a great fantasy set on a tropical island. The test of family bonds and the unplanned cost of following dreams. I wish there was more.
Cassey
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing short read. In parts terrifying, in parts overwhelming and in all parts an exploration of the tension between that which tries to dominate and that which fights it.

Also lemurs are creepy as all heck.
Caroline
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this novella as the author was coming to the library I work at to give a talk.

The Firebird is set on a humid island, ruled over by a warrior monk sect. The main character, Lada, deeply believes in their doctrine but as she comes face to face with the darkness of her past, doubts begin to niggle at her.
Was it her fault or her brother's that caused the destruction of their family, this haunts Lada throughout the story as she tries to hold onto her beliefs and figure out the right course t
David Macpherson
Juliana Veale
Feb 07, 2019
Michael Fierce
Nov 12, 2018
Nerine Dorman is a South African author and editor of SFF currently residing in Cape Town. Her short fiction has been published in an assortment of anthologies, including the Midian Unmade: Tales of Clive Barker's Nightbreed; The Endless Ages Anthology for Vampire: The Masquerade; the Wraeththu mythos; and War Stories: New Military Science Fiction, among others. Her YA fantasy novel Dragon Forged ...more