Start by marking “Inventos infernales (Máquinas Mortales #3)” as Want to Read:
Inventos infernales (Máquinas Mortales #3)

Inventos infernales

(Mortal Engines Quartet #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  7,248 ratings  ·  356 reviews
The third thrilling book in the stunning Predator Cities series!The mighty engines of Anchorage have been rusted and dead for years. The derelict city no longer roams the Ice Wastes, but has settled on the edge of the land that was once America. Tom Natsworthy and Hester Shaw are happy in the safety of a static settlement, but their daughter, Wren, is desperate for adventu ...more
Published February 1st 2018 by ALFAGUARA infantiles y juveniles (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Inventos infernales, please sign up.
Daniel Pacheco I am afraid it is not translated to Spanish, neither it is the last one of the Mortal Engines series. You will have to read it in English. I have been…moreI am afraid it is not translated to Spanish, neither it is the last one of the Mortal Engines series. You will have to read it in English. I have been looking for it also, but I found nothing.(less)

Sara Saif

The first, and perhaps the biggest, shock was when I realized that the book is set 16 YEARS after the last one. Tom and Hester in their thirties, have a fifteen year old daughter named Wren. Anchorage has long since settled on dry land and have been content with a simple life there.

Now, I’ve said this before, but this series has a very odd and unusual style of narration, the tone, if you would. It’s dystopia, the first two were YA but this one was a mix since the main characters were 15-30 years
Sean
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This "sixteen-years-later"-quel suffers from the main problem of letting your characters grow up off screen: when you get back to them they are no longer the people you grew to love or hate or (at least) know. Hester, the grumpy-but-lovable urchin from the previous books, has become a hardened, hateful and hate-filled grown-up with next to no good qualities. She has also who has somehow turned into a warrior extraordinaire in the years she spent in the sleepy backwater of Anchorage-in-Vineland, ...more
Sesana
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Between the end of Predator's Gold and the beginning of Infernal Devices, sixteen years have passed. In that time, Anchorage has become a static city, Hester and Tom have married, and their daughter has grown into a teenager. A huge risk for the author to take. I was emotionally invested in Hester and Tom, and wasn't ready to pass that on to their daughter, Wren. Luckily, they still play a large part in the storyline.

Wren did not make a good first impression on me. Within the first 50 pages, she
AH

Philip Reeve’s Hungry City Chronicles is one of the more original and imaginative young adult series out there. Infernal Devices is the third book in the series and it is set 18 years after Predator’s Gold.

Tom and Hester are all grown up with a teenage daughter. Tom is a loving husband and a doting father to Wren. Hester – I’ll get to her later. They live in the static city of Anchorage and their lives are dull and uneventful in contrast to the adventures of the previous book.

It is Wre
Santiago Villalba
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Este señor lo volvió a hacer. Me había decepcionado un poco con el libro anterior, pero con Inventos infernales logró que volviera a enamorarme de la saga y su asombroso worldbuilding. Personajes viejos y nuevos, ciudades nuevas, plot twists a cada rato, un libro emocionante y cargado de acción. Y, lo que tengo que destacar, es lo sorprendente de la evolución de Hester. No quiero decir mucho sobre esto para no hacer un spoiler enorme, pero realmente me sorprendió el giro que tomó el personaje, y ...more
Emma
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nahh
here's the thing.

The world and the plot of this series are fantastic

But the characters break my heart and not in the way you want them to.

The absolute character assassination of Hester Shaw really ruins this series for me. In the first book and for most of the second book you can understand Hester, she's still not particularly likeable for the people around her, but the things she says and does make sense given her life. In Predator's Gold she did something awful, but you could understand her me
Megan
I don't know how it's possible but this series is really growing on me, and the books keep improving as the series goes on. Usually I find books about the children of main characters insufferably annoying, but this one surprised me. And true to the form of the past books, so did the characters. I don't want to spoil anyone's read but I have to say that my favorite thing about this author and this series is that the characters often do things I don't expect, but more than that, neither do they do ...more
Ali Berk Çetinbudaklar
Üçüncü kitapta da birinci kitapta yarattığı evrenin ekmeğini çokça yiyor. Sadece, olaylar alışılagelmiş bir hikaye döngüsüne oturtulmuş; değişen tek şey bu.
Catherine Campos
Creo que fue el que más rápido terminé de la saga xD
No por eso significa que tengas menos errores, pero había algo cautivante en el libro.
Wing Kee
There are some serious character issues with Hester...

World: Simply the best part of the book and the reason I am still reading this series. The world is dense, it's quirky and is a thing all it's own. I like how this book continues the world from Predator's Gold and we get to see more of it is always a great thing, the best part.

Story: The story is fun, it's face paced, it's dry and quirky at the same time and heavy and broody in another same time. I like the tone, I like the world and the stor
At 25%- Ugh. Another spoiled, dumb teenage protagonist. First Freya in book two and now Wren. As an adult, I’m unsurprisingly much more interested in the storylines featuring adults or adult Stalkers, not teenagers.

The romance in this is still terrible. (view spoiler)
belle ✨(bookishlybelle)
2/5 stars

SIGH. That's all I can say, really. SIGHHHH.
So, while the first book in this series got 5 stars, the second got 3 stars, and for book three I've decided to go with 2 stars and a DNF @ around 40%. I'm honestly not even sure I'll read the fourth book now.

I hate when a series goes downhill!

Basically, this book takes place sixteen years after the end of book two, and follows Hester and Tom's daughter Wren instead of Hester and Tom themselves (although they do come into it more later). One
Brooke Shirts
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Hungry City Chronicles! More towns on wheels! More oddly obsessive descriptions of the characters' clothing! More action, more traction!

This book leaps forward 16 years from Predator's Gold. Young Wren Natsworthy is kidnapped after her plans to run away go awry, and her parents, Tom and Hester (the heroes of the previous two books) chase after her and the three of them are swiftly embroiled in political intrigue, danger, entanglements with evil cyborgs, Falling in Like With Handsome Africa
Kelly
Ughhh I'm so angry because the book was so good but I didn't like the ending at all...
Mitchell
Predator's Gold had a cosy and happy ending. Anchorage had escaped Arkangel and found refuge in the green parts of America, the city's ordeals were over, and Hester was pregnant with Tom's child. Terrible things had happened to Anna Fang, and there was a dark implication that war was coming to the world... but that would never trouble Anchorage, which was secret and safe.

In Infernal Devices, sixteen years have passed, and Tom and Hester's teenage daughter Wren is bored of her backwater life and
Wayne
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

So i think this one is much better than the first two and i really liked how things developed in this one.

World-building was brilliant as always but a few extra elements were added which again should have been hard to imagine but weren't. It's very vivid and really ties in to the plot well.

The characterization was much better in this one and seemed to not only make sense but really bring the characters to some interesting places. Tom was better although still a bit all over the place and
SAB
This was a solid 4.5 read! I enjoyed it more than the previous book, which surprised me. The story has jumped forward 16 years and despite being uncertain about Hester and Tom having a child, it actually worked for me!

Wren did start out a bit annoying with her TSTL decisions. It made sense though, given that she has grown up in the one place and never experienced the outside world except through her parents stories. She does get some character growth following her kidnapping, becoming less naive
J/LOSTBOY/WILLIAMS
Quickly becoming my favorite series!
Miriam
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well. That was really excellent.

The Hungry City Chronicles has been quite good so far. I had quibbles, especially in the character development department, but overall the first two installments were quite excellent. But I kind of wished I'd found the series when I was in late middle or high school, when I was more in line with the targeted age bracket. The first two books were exactly the kind of books I would have adored as a teenager.

Infernal Devices is the first book in the series that has re
Jonathan Terrington
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults, science fiction fans
Infernal Devices begins as any solid next book in a series should. It continues on from where the last book left off. Several years after Predator's Gold Tom and Hester have a daughter. And she naturally grows bored with the placid nature of life in the hidden wilderness of America. As a result she ends up plunging Tom and Hester into another whirlwind adventure that continues their adventures with old adversaries and some new ones. In short this really is a brilliant continuation of a creative ...more
Peter
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steam-punk
This book was so much fun a great piece of YA steampunk. I particularly loved all the snarky asides about Brighton and its artistic culture, gags about fringe shows and performance artists, hen parties and vomit are all in there. There are also some fantastic wacky names for the airships - even Dick Dastardly gets a mention among those. The plot is exciting and action packed, well written, but it's the gags that really made it for me.
Newton Nitro
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Infernal Devices (The Hungry City Chronicles #3) - Philip Reeve | 336 pgs, Harper Collins 2003 | Lido de 23.06.18 a 25.06.18

SINOPSE
Os poderosos motores de Anchorage estão enferrujados e mortos há anos. A cidade abandonada já não percorre a Vastidão Gelada, mas se instalou na borda da terra que uma vez foi a América.

Tom Natsworthy e Hester Shaw estão felizes com a segurança de um assentamento estático, mas sua filha, Wren, está desesperada por aventura.

Quando um pirata submarino perigosamente e
Jason Pym
The series gets grimmer, with a relentlessly depressing plot which again features a McGuffin (again, people can use it to destroy things). The characters from the first book have the last of their charisma sucked out of them, and there aren't even any fun steampunk gizmos. And no humour, ever. This was hard to get through, and the really fun and interesting thing about the first book - carnivorous mobile cities - is not used let alone expanded upon, which is a real waste.

So why not one or two s
Princessromi_g
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi relación con este libro se puede definir en un eterno aaaaaaah de emoción. Si no se lleva 5 estrellas, es porque las reservo para el cuarto que promete un final épico, y conociendo al señor Reeve será de esos finales que me gustan (aka muchas muertes importantes).
Es un libro que te rompe el corazón por toda la nostalgia del primer libro que tiene, regresa un personaje que me dieron 17 ataques cuando lo nombran.
Y estoy en una encrucijada porque quiero leer el cuarto para saber qué sigue, y a l
Suz
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fantasy, steampunk, ya
At first I was a bit disappointed to discover that the story had jumped about 16 years into the future and the MC focus had changed to the child of the previous MCs. By the end, however, it was just reading like a continuation from book 2 and I think I enjoyed this one more than the previous ones.

It's a bit darker than the previous ones, too. I like that the characters are questioning themselves and what they think they know.

Good stuff, this.
Jesús Cardeña Morales
Bueno... a mi parecer esta parte ha bajado un poco de calidad con respecto a las dos primeras. No sé si ha sido porque en este volumen ha sido más protagonista Wren, y no es una protagonista a la que podamos llamar... carismática, precisamente. Es más bien sosa y seca. Hester también es seca, pero su personaje es más atractivo literariamente hablando.
Esta parte me ha recordado mucho a Peter Pan y a todo lo referente a los Niños Perdidos.
El autor me ha vuelto a hacer lo que me hizo en la primer
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
El inicio me ha parecido algo desconcertante al ocurrir la historia despues de un lapso de tiempo muy grande. Pero a partir de la mitad me ha atrapado y me ha dejado muy desconcertada con lo que ocurre con los personajes y con la historia. Con mucha curiosidad de ver qué ocurre en el último libro, ya que no sé por donde va a salir.
Chris
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author's unwillingness to let a character actually stay dead after killing them grows especially tiresome here. It makes most of the events of this book and the previous ones feel rather pointless. That, combined with some breaks of character, pushed the story beyond the limits what I found to be believable.
Josu Cabanillas
Hasta ahora, el más flojo de la saga. Tiene una historia interesante, y empieza sorprendiendote, pero el final se vuelve bastante predecible. Aún así espero poder leer la cuarta entrega pronto y cómo se cierra la historia.
Goodreads Librari...: Audiobook cover 4 17 May 14, 2018 07:28AM
  • Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2)
  • The Dark Deeps (The Hunchback Assignments, #2)
  • Flaming London
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Human Nature (Pax Britannia, #3)
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man (Burton & Swinburne, #2)
  • Captain Nemo
  • Morlock Night
  • The Kingdom Beyond the Waves (Jackelian, #2)
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
  • The Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2)
  • Heart of Veridon (The Burn Cycle, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk
  • Ghosts of Manhattan (The Ghost, #1)
Philip Reeve was born and raised in Brighton, where he worked in a bookshop for a number of years while also co-writing, producing and directing a number of no-budget theatre projects.

Philip then began illustrating and has since provided cartoons for around forty children's books, including the best-selling Horrible Histories, Murderous Maths and Dead Famous series.

Railhead, published by Oxford Un

Mortal Engines Quartet (4 books)
  • Mortal Engines (The Hungry City Chronicles, #1)
  • Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles, #2)
  • A Darkling Plain (The Hungry City Chronicles, #4)
“Boo-Boo Pennyroyal did not like her male and female slaves to mingle. In the operas that she adored, young people brought together in tragic circumstances were forever falling in love with each other and then throwing themselves off things (cliffs, mostly, but sometimes battlements, or rooftops, or the brinks of volcanoes). Boo-Boo was fond of her slaves, and it pained her to think of them plummeting in pairs off the edges of Cloud 9, so she nipped all tragic love affairs firmly in the bud by forbidding the girls and boys to speak to one another. Of course, young people being what they were, girls sometimes fell in love with other girls, or boys with boys, but that never happened in the operas, so Boo-Boo didn't notice.” 5 likes
“Oenone had found the chapel by accident, and was not certain what kept drawing her back to it. She was not a Christian. Few people were anymore, except in Africa, and on certain islands of the outermost west. All she knew of Christians was that they worhsipped a god nailed to a cross, and what on earth was the use of a god who went around letting himself get nailed to things?” 4 likes