Start by marking “[Dis]Connected: Poems and Stories of Connection and Otherwise ([Dis]Connected #1)” as Want to Read:

[Dis]Connected: Poems and Stories of Connection and Otherwise

([Dis]Connected #1)

Humanity exists in a hyper connected world, where our closest friends, loves and enemies lie but a keyboard stroke away. Few know this better than the poets who have risen to the top of their trade by sharing their emotion, opinion and art with millions of fans.

Combining the poetic forces of some of today’s most popular and confessional poets, this book presents poems and
Published October 1st 2018 by Central Avenue Publishing

To ask other readers questions about [Dis]Connected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about [Dis]Connected

Start your review of [Dis]Connected: Poems and Stories of Connection and Otherwise ([Dis]Connected #1)
Peter
Affiliation
[Dis]Connected is a compilation of beautifully written stories and poems that capture the imagination, as we appreciate the friendships we do or do not have. The premise of the book is to explore, why in an ever-connected world are we seeing isolation and disconnection with so many individuals. We have created a world where the capacity to connect with others is truly awesome but that brings both positive and negative opportunities to interact or feel precluded.

Michelle Halket, very
Lou
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I usually thoroughly enjoy great, emotive and inspirational poetry, so I absolutely loved this wonderful anthology including prose by some of the biggest names in the poetry game right now. It's a collection of short stories and poetry whereby a poet is handed a poem written by another contributor and told to write a poem or short story based on said poem, therefore connecting all of the contributions to one another. As always there are some poems that are stronger and more powerful than others, ...more
Isabel
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, poetry, anthology
2.5

I was pretty excited about the release of [Dis]Connected when it was first announced. What's not to like about a poetry anthology?

I spoke too soon.

The idea to this anthology is that each author submits three poems that adhere to the overall theme. The poems are assigned randomly to another author who has to write a short story based on one of the poems. For example, Cyrus Parker draws Nikita Gill's name which means he has to write a short story based on one of her poems, then another author d
Nildene
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute and quick read.

I like when collections match an overall theme and aren't divided from each other - here we get a literal alternation, with one author's poem preceding another author's short story and poem, repeating for a total of 10 short stories and 10 poems (though there were bonus poems at the end that were good to read).

There were some short stories and poems that resonated with me more than others, just because they were more interesting to read. I like the selkie story, an
Loring Wirbel
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I stepped into this collection with the type of trepidation born of the belief that most projects spurred by publishers fall into the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" category. Seriously, choose a dozen young poets and ask them to hone their short-story skills by using other poets' work as inspiration? Sounds like a combination of Exquisite Corpse and Hot Potato at first.

But damn if this didn't work a lot better than it had any right to do. The best aspect of the collection is that all w
Trianna/Treereads
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a collection from a bunch of popular poets filled with immersive poems and short stories dealing with connection or lack of connection between humans. I was not able to relate/connect to some of the short stories, but yet was able to enjoy the writing. The style of modern poetry translates into very descriptive stories, but at times could lag. The writing of all these poets is gorgeous and was my favorite part of this collection.

"There is a blessing in us being connected, but there is a
Helen
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, poetry
I received a free digital copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

[Dis]connected is an anthology of poetry and short stories paired together. Each writer was assigned a poem by another writer, and tasked to write a short story based on that poem.

Overall, this collection was pretty decent. As always with short story collections, there will always be some works you enjoy more than others, but the quality was fairly consistent throughout. It does show, I feel, that some
Sara Jovanovic
This was a nice and quick read, especially if you enjoy poetry and short stories. I like the idea of the project. All of the authors wrote three poems and, randomly matched with another author, chose one poem from them and wrote a short story inspired by that poem. I think this was clever and thoughtful way to connect these two ways of writing, and it was interesting seeing how they came up with tying them together.

I won't be giving individual ratings, but there wasn't a story and a poem I didn'
Book Ichor
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A good mixture of poets with different levels of experience. Featuring poems, short stories and illustrations this was an interesting collection that showcases a variety of poetry forms, includes some insight into how the poems were used as short story prompts and offers a variety of subject matters and unique points of view. While I connected more with some pieces than others, I feel that this is a book I will return to. This is modern poetry so don’t expect traditional formats and rhyming sche ...more
Bogi Takács
Done but not reviewing it right now, because I will be covering this book and a related event for a magazine. :)

Source of the book: E-ARC from publisher
Moh. Nasiri
Dec 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: poetry, short-story
We seem to live in a hyper connected world, yet we increasingly hear stories of loneliness, isolation and disconnect.
Monica
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Received this ARC from the publishers for free. In exchange for an honest review.

I loved the idea behind this book. 10 poets. 10 poems and 10 short stories. The poem is written by someone and then the short story is written by someone else but are connected. And so on. In this big wonderful circle of poetry and short stories.
Michelle Halket’s into to this book got me so excited to read it. And it did not disappoint. There was fairytales and love stories and grief. It was a rollercoaster of emot
Emmi Rose  (emmirosereads)
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars
I absolutely loved the entire concept of this, from the theme to the idea behind the book, to the beautiful works of the poets inside. I would definitely say this is worth a read. Of course there were a few poems and stories I didn't like as much and generally it's harder to connect to short stories in anothologies like this but there were some really good poems and stories. I definitely found a couple new favorite poets that I want to check out. 😍 ...more
Michelle
Wooohooooo I got my wish! Thank you so much to Central Avenue Publishing for granting me the opportunity to read an e-arc of this poetry collection in exchange for an honest review! Thank you also to Netgalley, which is a great platform as always!

Sooo...poetry...I think that I’ve read maybe one poetry book until this year, but lately I am growing quite a fondness for it! Poetry really can get you out of a reading slump as well, since it’s mostly shorter in length and easier to absorb but still p
Victoria
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
A collection of short stories and poetry, Disconnected is a book that features an incredible collection of poetic talent from the likes of Amanda Lovelace and Nikita Gill.

The stories are really something in this book, sometimes hard hitting, sometimes beautiful, in particular Cyrus Parker’s and Amanda Lovelace’s stories really strike me in this book.(view spoiler)
Alicia Cook
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
With all the poetry floating around, this anthology is so unique in that it connects the contributors TOGETHER. Brilliant.
The Story Girl
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Might finish this out later after the readathon is over (I post hourly updates here at my blog if anyone wants to see).

➽"That Instrument of Laughter" by Canisia Lubrin
➽ "Parietal Eye" by Nikita Gill (20 pages) with the poem In which the narrator is grieving the loss of her husband, when she receives a mysterious letter from a woman she's never heard of before and learns a secret about her husband.

➽ "Gods and Mortals" by Nikita Gill
➽ "Where the Sea Meets the Sky" by Cyrus Parker (28 pages)
This wa
Nicole Field
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, poetry
I was grabbed by this anthology by the list of names I recognised and had previous loved. Cyrus Parker. Nikita Gill. Iain S. Thomas. But even picking it up, I realised that I had no idea what I was in for here.

The introduction written by Michelle Halket immediately informed me that I was in for a very different kind of anthology to whatever I had been expecting. Each of the poets in this anthology, new and established, would both write a poem, and then write a short story inspired by a poem fro
Helen Hnin
The problem with short story collections from various authors are that different contributors have different skillsets and different style of prose. Since their stories are not uniform, all of them will be hit or miss.

I went into the book knowing that so I wasn't very disappointed about this being a three-star reads. I wish it were better though. Because I love the fantasy theme in all of these.
Pauline
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars!
This collection of poetry was really good !! I liked most of the texts. I recommend this receuil to all those who love poetry in general. Thanks to Netgalley for this e-arc in exchange of my honest review.
pi
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great anthology of short stories and poems that includes very inspirational pieces. I love how the words of every poet who took part in this book are connected to each other.

Alex Jeanty, Cyrus Parker, Yena Sharma Purmasir, Amanda Lovelace, and Iain S. Thomas’ pieces were my favourite.
.Louise.☽
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Becca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
It take me a while to get through anthologies but I loved the last section where it was the poems. I really enjoyed this book. If you are just starting off with poetry you should pick it up or if you are a poetry lover pick it up too!
Cora Tea Party Princess
When I picked this up I kind of missed that it was a collection of poems AND stories. And so the stories were a pleasant surprise.

I thought this was a great collection, I loved how everything was connected yet not. Each piece stood on its own but as a collection was part of something bigger.
Patrycja
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely beautiful book.
First of all the idea of it! OMG! So wonderfully clever!

The book contains poems of ten different authors and short stories followed, based on the poem, but wrote by different author. Such a great circle of unique, creative writing!
I love this idea so much. It is so brilliant.

I read every single world in the book. And I love the introduction by Michelle Halket. When she explained how the idea was executed she wrote:"It was like these stories were glimpses into
Siobhan
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
[Dis]connected is a unique collection of contemporary writing, in which poets write poems on the theme of connection and then write a short story about another writer's poem from the collection. The result is an emotional collection that takes similar lines and concepts in different directions. On one hand, it is a great way to discover new writers, and on the other, it is fresh work from all the writers involved too.

Though there are a lot of good poems in the book, it is the short stories that
Moriah Conant
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book! Even though it's been a looong time since I've willingly read a short story (thanks required school reading), I found myself engaged in the various stories and wishing that they lasted longer.

I didn't entirely see the theme of being disconnected in every piece, but that may have been in the way I read the poems and stories.

If you are interested in 'meeting' several unique and talented artists you should definitely read this book!

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking content as well as an intriguing way to connect writers.
Amy Littleford
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
The idea behind this book is one of connection for those who feel a disconnection. Poets from around the world come together and share their talents. They each gain inspiration from each other that form into short stories based on each others poetry. I thought this idea was genius and a brilliant way to combine poetry and prose writing together.

I did read volume 2 first which I enjoyed immensely. I expected the same from this book but only felt this for a few of the short stories. I'm not the bi
Lakin Aleyse
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of short stories and poems from YA's favorite writers! How they are all connecting and intertwined was a beautiful display of intricacy. Adored every page. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Shine your Icy Crown (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #2)
  • She Was The Storm
  • DROPKICKromance
  • Honeybee
  • Petals of the Moon
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Beautiful Mistakes
  • 2am Thoughts
  • Swim
  • Small Ghost
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
  • She Healed: A Collection of Spoken Word Poems
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)

[Dis]Connected (2 books)
  • [Dis]Connected: Poems & Stories of Connection and Otherwise ([Dis]Connected #2)

News & Interviews