Start by marking “I'm Not Dying with You Tonight” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Dying with You Tonight

I'm Not Dying with You Tonight

"A vital addition to the YA race relations canon."―Nic Stone, New York Times bestselling author of Dear Martin

Lena and Campbell aren't friends.

Lena has her killer style, her awesome boyfriend, and a plan. She knows she's going to make it big. Campbell, on the other hand, is just trying to keep her head down and get through the year at her new school.

When both girls attend
Expected publication: October 1st 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published August 6th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Dying with You Tonight, please sign up.
Susan It's about two high-school seniors who are working a concession stand at a Friday night football game. Campbell is white, a newcomer to the school.…moreIt's about two high-school seniors who are working a concession stand at a Friday night football game. Campbell is white, a newcomer to the school. Lena is African American, has a "bad" boy friend and cool. Suddenly words lead to violence, the violence grows exponentially around the concession stand, into the stands, and finally throughout close-by neighborhoods. Both girls, who see things from very different perspectives, must lean on each other to get safely home. Will they make it?(less)

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of I’M NOT DYING WITH YOU TONIGHT by Kimberly Jones and Gilly Segal in exchange for my honest review.***

Two classmates, one black, the other white are caught up in a football game fight that turns into a riot.

I’m a middle aged Caucasian woman and while not the target audience for I’M NOT DYING WITH YOU TONIGHT, I enjoyed this profound story. Initially, Lena’s raw, authentic voice was difficult for me to understand but after a few chapt
Marie -The Reading Otter
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review:
3.5 Stars

I received this book from NetGalley for review

This book is very different from most of the books I read. While I do and have read Contemporary, this book is different from those. This is the first book I've read that talks about racial tension.

This book is fast-paced and had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through (once I actually had time to sit and read it). Both Lena and Campbell are smart characters who held it together far better than I ever could have if I were in
Adam Sockel
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This will almost certainly be the next major YA book in a line of massively important conversation starters. Think The Hate U Give, This is Where it Ends, or Long Way Down. It shines a light for readers on two high schoolers who come from wildly different backgrounds and forces them to work together in order to survive. The characters are vulnerable and scared and, at times, selfish and self-centered but this all comes together to create realistic depictions of teenagers.

Told through each of th
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-arcs
Samantha
I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

First just let me say, Wow! Just wow!

Now, I'll get to the review.

I'm Not Dying With You Tonight starts out as just a normal Friday for Campbell and Lena. They are just two ordinary girls who run in different social circles. They are not friends nor have they ever spoken to each other. Campbell attends a football game to help with the concession stand,
Amanda Blocker
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sharp and timely story told from two POVs by two authors!
Heather Nicole
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me in suspense the entire ride. I found myself holding my breath at times. It’s a quick read, read in one sitting. I absolutely think everyone should read not just YA fans.
Lena and Campbell are not friends, but the events of one evening put these two in a position to change their lives forever.
My fave quote from this book “when you push people to their breaking point, and they ain’t got no power, they’ll find a way to take it. “
I can’t wait to read more by said author-
Vania
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG JUST READ IT! It’s so good and you just need to get on this train!
Teri
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This book deals topics we unfortunately see all too much of in news nearly every day.  Novels such as this are crucial and timely, and when I saw that author Nic Stone blurbed it, I knew I wanted to read it.

The contrasting characters and their viewpoints really make this novel.  Lena is in a familiar environment, but is very much aware of its dangerous undercurrents, much more so than Campbell, new to the neighborhood, and the epitome of a fish out of water.  With alternating chapters, their voi
Jenni
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book opens with a huge fight at a high school football game. When things go from bad to worse, high school students Lena and Campbell end up together, albeit reluctantly. Fighting, rioting, looting, you name it, it's covered here. The girls make one bad decision after another. A quick read that fans of The Hate U Give and All American Boys will love.
Slaa!!!
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! I like that it took place over the course of one night - sometimes that bothers me but with this book it was well paced and kept me interested. I liked that it was two girls coming together who wouldn’t normally be friends, and getting to see things from a new perspective - particularly Campbell seeing things that she wouldn’t have otherwise. Do recommend!
Emily Knosher
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It was short but it packed a punch. I loved reading Lena and Campbell's story of how they were forced together and had to help each other survive.
Ema
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a tough one to rate. The voice and narration in this are absolutely stellar, and characters like Lena are so very uncommon and valuable in the YA cannon right now. But other than that, I found myself unable to suspend disbelief and get absorbed in the story. Ultimately, is it worth the read though? I think so.

A few minimal spoilers ahead.

My biggest problem here was that all the events felt so random and I wanted more context and explanation instead of the constant moving away. This revo
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emily
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Waffling between one and two stars.

Yawn. For a book about riots where the characters are frequently in peril, this was SO BORING. And it didn't make much sense, either. My internal monologue while reading this book was entirely, "WHY ARE YOU DUMB?!"

Questions I had:
1. Why would you go into the riot zone?! YOU HAD OTHER OPTIONS. YOU COULD HAVE JUST WALKED HOME. WHY ARE YOU DUMB.
2. Why would you KEEP going into the riot zone? I get that Lena's boyfriend was supposedly there, but like... GIRL. He i
Suzanne Romero
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Jozef Syndicate
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fluid, fast-paced, tense, stimulating, genuine.

In one night, two teenage girls who were merely classmates have to escape a racially charged high school fight that escalates to shots fired, looting, fires, and police descending with riot gear. One girl's keenness for how "these scenes play out" and the other's wherewithal trigger their survival modes and, refreshingly, their human kindness keeps them together to escape through citywide chaos.

Each chapter is written from genuine, authentic voices
Susan
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I received an Advanced Readers Copy at a librarian event.

I got caught up in this story right away. I started reading it with my morning coffee, and before I knew it, I was on page 65 and late for work. It's not quite as exciting as it goes on because you start to get the gist of what is going to happen, but it is still well done. We have heard a lot of stories like this before - urban teens get caught up in some kind of violence, police, racial tensions - but, of course, the authors may have be
Angela
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm Not Dying with You Tonight “chronicles a fight that breaks out at a racially divided Atlanta high school and escalates into citywide riots, told in alternating point of views between two girls—one black and one white.”

This book tells a really important story, and I think it's a great addition to the YA world. Campbell and Lena get sucked into the middle of downtown rioting after escaping from an escalating situation at their high school after shots are fired. They don't know each other at al
Justin
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
This book was presented to me as a "Read Now" on NetGalley, and the premise seemed interesting so I snatched it up. I was imagining an end of the word apocalypse/Purge type scenario mixed with a race relations drama. However, the first half of my prediction was very diluted while the second was very surface level.

The book describes the night as "sudden mass chaos", but I don't really agree with that phrasing. The riot at the football game and the town center do happen quickly, but I wouldn't de
Noemi
Thank you to the publisher for a review copy. Out August 6th.

This book doesn't sit right with me. If I was rating this on pure entertainment value, it'd be a 5 stars because this was un-put-downable. But, you know how it's good that some books will make you uncomfortable, because you need that to grow ? But what if it doesn't really make you grow and that the problematic stuff just remains that, problematic? It could have been a growing opportunity, but it wasn't for me. We didn't go enough in t
Eeka05
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, the authors, and the publisher for allowing me to read this book prior to publish date!

Absolutely captivating!
At first I was having trouble reading Lena's sections of the book but it got easier within 15% into the book.

(This book does deal with race issues.)

Campbell is new to McPherson High School. Let's face it we all know how the new girl is treated. No friends, an outcast, weird, you name it. Add all that to beingin high school and it makes for a miserable time. With
Barbara
In a story told in alternating voices by two different authors, two teen girls with absolutely nothing in common end up being thrown together during one violent night in their community. Lena, who is African-American, is all about image and style and looking good for her boyfriend, is at McPherson High School's football game to watch the dance team while Campbell, who is white, is there to help out at the concession stand. Violence on the field escalates into violence among the onlookers, eventu ...more
Preethi
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very intense, but short novel that captured the state of race relations today.

Campbell has just moved from Haverford to Atlanta and is trying to keep her head down and finish her senior year. Lena, on the other hand, has everything she needs. When a fight breaks out at the football game they’re both attending, they need to join forces if they’re going to survive the night.

The authors did a really good job with character voices. At first I was a little shocked at how Lena spoke, but I
Amber | cozynaturereads 🌿

this was such a quick read. It follows two girls Lena and Campbell and they meet under crazy circumstances. Campbell is the new girl and doesn't fit in and Lena is the fly popular girl. She has an older boyfriend and she is just popping in every way. But when a riot breaks out at school at the football game the two girls become closer than they would imagine.

At first I did NOT like Lena. She was too worried about her boyfriend Black and was very selfish but as the story moved on she bec
Sandra
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Rebekah Gonzalez
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
*I received an Advanced Reader Copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I was eager to read this book because the two authors have done something that my friend Kym and I have talked about at great length, and that is co-authoring a book from two different character perspectives. It worked well for this story, and I thought it was appropriate that the two characters were written with very distinct voices.

This book isn’t very long, so it was a quick read. In fact, the whole story take
Saloni
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire for providing a copy of this book at BEA 2019.

I really love the concept of this book. Our world, particularly America, is becoming particularly polarized, and stories like these that show how people with different perspectives are able to work together in times of distress.

This book tells the story of two girls, Lena and Campbell, who have different lives, backgrounds, and perspectives, working together to get through a night of rioting and looting.

Overall, it was
Lindsay Loson
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks for this ARC, out 8/19!

I've been wanting to get my hands on this one since I heard Angie Thomas gushing about it. This book is very closely related to topics that The Hate U Give and On the Come Up deal with, and I felt as though these characters could live in the same world, or neighboring cities. I really liked the split narrative and could see how both authors lent their voices to each chapter. I read this book in less than a day, and wished there had be
K
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read chapter one the first time I picked up this book. The second day, chapter 2. Fairly typical book opening, setting the stage. Then day 3, I settled in with it and ... Could. Not. Stop. I had to know how it was going to end. As a teacher and librarian, I kept thinking of ways this could be used in the classroom and discussion points with which I would want to engage students. I know this may be sacrilege, but I feel like it could *gasp* replace The Outsiders. Or at the very least be taught ...more
« previous 1 3 next »