Start by marking “Gray's Anatomy” as Want to Read:
Gray's Anatomy

Gray's Anatomy

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  382 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In middle age Spalding Gray has entered "the Bermuda Triangle of Health," that place where the body begins to break down in alarming and humiliating ways. His immediate problem is an eye complaint that could be corrected with minor surgery. But for the high priest of high anxiety, nothing is ever minor. And so Gray embarks on a crazed crusade for wellness that takes him fr ...more
Published November 23rd 1993 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Gray's Anatomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gray's Anatomy

R.
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Do You Remember Where You Were the Day You Heard Spalding Gray Jumped Off a Bridge to His Death and Other Conversation Starters

At eighty pages, you can read this book while letting simmer and stew one of those autumn soups you're yearning for on a cold and wet November afternoon. And what a joy it is, too, this book. Shot through with generous humor and heart, Gray takes you on a journey from doctor's office to shaman's sweatlodge and beyond as he tries to repair his eye-gone-funky.

You'll smile
Joyce
Oct 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Not sure I'll finish this. I loved Spalding Gray, the individual. In this book, however, his neurotic concern for his health seems like a forerunner of his suicide... I am getting old and don't want to relate that way. I have done more than my share of sweat lodges and energy healers. Yea, maybe I will finish this book.
Sabra Embury
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quick-read
I don't agree with others who see Gray's Anatomy as an awkward articulation of his personal neuroses. This monologue is specifically about his eye, its degenerative condition and all the ways Gray investigates to remedy the condition ranging--from dodging a heart attack an Indian sweat lodge ceremony to visiting a Taiwanese psychic healer who specializes in pulling tumors the size of meatballs out of Japanese patients with his bare fingers.

From start to finish there is no rest with Gray trying
Zak
Aug 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
The WASP's Woody Allen. Gray is always worth a read, although, to be frank it is a poor substitute for seeing him live. Alas, after his suicide in 2004, that's much harder to do. Still...it's a good subway read...makes you feel okay with your own personal neuroses.
Harris Burkhart
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gray's anatomy pokes fun of being a Middle aged adult. One day, Gray discovers, much to his horror, that when he closes his right eye and looks only through his left, everything appears blurry and distorted. After procrastinating for a year, he talks to some eye doctors, who diagnose his problem as a macular pucker, a condition where some of the middle of the eye dissolves or leaks out, causing the macula, which is at the center of the eye, and is responsible for all detail in sight, to pucker u ...more
D.A.
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Spalding Gray's anxious, panicky style of writing does make me feel much better about my own neurotic tendencies (I am constantly telling myself "Seriously? You're worried this much about *that*?"), but fuck can it wear me out. It's a good thing this was only 80 pages long or I might have started to share in his frequent panic attacks.
Tonya Sink
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Anything Spalding is a treat. He weaves his own neurosis into his life experiences with wit as dry as the Gobi. It seems the only way for him to have survived as long as he did. Let it out. His monologues are equally tasty if you want to rent one. He will be missed.
RandomAnthony
Jan 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Very quick read...probably my favorite Gray monologue after "Sex and Death." He seems a little more human and a little less pretentious and in-crowdesque (always his primary weakness) in "Gray's Anatomy." Would work well on a plane...you can knock it out in a couple of hours.
SkittishElf
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: procured-2015
It was okay, enjoyable. A lot of the humour just wasn't my thing. I didn't love the writing, it was a little amateur and manic. Overall it was enjoyable but not something I would likely read again.
Wendy
Nov 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Spalding Gray
Cody and I saw him perform this monologue at the Dennis Playhouse. I loved it, loved him, and I still feel awful that he's gone.
John
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
funny, fast yet moving meditation on mortality, belief, psychic surgery, sweat lodges and marriage.
Tami M
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Spalding Gray is neurotic a la Woody Allen, and while his prose is sometimes lacking, he is an engaging storyteller. It's a perfect subway read.
Steven Spector
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Perhaps Spald's tour-de-force of monologues. Does he or doesn't he get corrective eye surgery? His adventures to that end read like a through the looking glass of hell. His pain, my pleasure.
Kate
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The eccentric, hypochondriacal monologuist seeks a cure for his detached retina in faith healers and other weirdos.
jobiwan6
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
actually got to see him perform this monologue at ucsb
Don Calame
  • Lettice and Lovage: A Comedy
  • Sex, Drugs, Rock and Roll
  • 21 Dog Years: Doing Time @ Amazon.com
  • Streamers
  • Laughing Allegra: The Inspiring Story of a Mother's Struggle and Triumph Raising a Daughter With Learning Disabilities
  • Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
  • My Garden (Book)
  • A Restricted Country
  • House of Games
  • The Deer on a Bicycle: Excursions Into the Writing of Humor
Spalding Gray was an American actor, screenwriter, performance artist, and playwright.
More about Spalding Gray

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99