Start by marking “Illuminati (Robert Langdon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Illuminati (Robert Langdon, #1)

Illuminati

(Robert Langdon #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  2,443,889 ratings  ·  27,566 reviews
Ein Kernforscher wird in seinem Schweizer Labor ermordet aufgefunden. Auf seiner Brust finden sich merkwürdige Symbole eingraviert, Symbole, die nur der Harvardprofessor Robert Langdon zu entziffern vermag. Was er dabei entdeckt, erschreckt ihn zutiefst: Die Symbole gehören zu der legendären Geheimgesellschaft "Illuminati". Diese Gemeinschaft scheint wieder zum Leben erwec ...more
Paperback, German Edition, 716 pages
Published March 4th 2003 by Bastei Lübbe (first published May 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Illuminati, please sign up.
Sandesh Chapagain First of all, thank your friend with all your heart. This book is just awesome. The sharp twists and thrills along the story are incredible. Trust me,…moreFirst of all, thank your friend with all your heart. This book is just awesome. The sharp twists and thrills along the story are incredible. Trust me, it's a damn page-turner.(less)
James Mehraa Well, it is my second Robert Langdon series read. Dan Brown had created more curiosity about this when I first read The Da Vinci Code.
It is the…more
It is the story of science vs religion with a big plot. With a lot if twists n turns, the plot moves on. What the readers love about Dan Brown is that your mind says,"This is the guy n this is it." but there is a lot of difference than what we guess. Brown maintains the same strategy(I felt so) all over the book. The characters are nicely fabricated. According to me, its the best one for all those beginners who needs brainy food than a thriller.(less)

·  2,443,889 ratings  ·  27,566 reviews

Start your review of Illuminati (Robert Langdon, #1)
Jessika
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

Before I begin my review, I want to preface it by saying a few things.

I know a lot of people think Dan Brown is a crappy writer who writes crappy books about crappy stories with crappy characters and crappy, unbelievable plots.

I know a lot of people think Dan Brown is one of the best at the "cheese factor" and roll their eyes at his stories.

I know a lot of people out there know more about European history, etc. etc. than I do, and therefore, I might not be the appropriate judge of this s
Jayson
(B-) 70% | Satisfactory
Notes: The apotheosis of laugh out loud, so-bad-it’s-good writing, it’s at first enthralling but descends into garish absurdity.
Brian
Aug 14, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I read this after the drivel that is called "Da Vinci Code." I decided to give the author another chance, and take on something that maybe wasn't so formulaic.

No dice. I am convinced that Dan Brown does absolutely no research into the subjects he writes about. Or if he does, he decides it is not "titilating enough for him" so he makes it up. I mean why even include actual real things in his books if he chooses to ignore any facts about them. Opus Dei? I doubt he could spell it. Catholic Church?
Fabian
May 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
& I am left STUNNED! Incredibly, this one is the one to top when it comes to adventure & history and pace & ingenuity.

I've recently noticed how much history is revered (rightfully) by the modern authors. This is a different type of historical immersion. This is about bringing it to the forefront... something in the past is incredibly relevant, vital, to the present.

Everyone but me had read this, & after Da Vinci Code--that bitch of an overrated heathen--I thought Bro
Ahmad Sharabiani
Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon #1), Dan Brown
Angels & Demons is a 2000 bestselling mystery-thriller novel written by American author Dan Brown and published by Pocket Books and then by Corgi Books. The novel introduces the character Robert Langdon, who recurs as the protagonist of Brown's subsequent novels. Angels & Demons shares many stylistic literary elements with its sequels, such as conspiracies of secret societies, a single-day time frame, and the Catholic Church.
عنوانه
Kiki
Will Byrnes
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Robert Langdon is the protagonist. This is the first novel in which the character appears (The DaVinci Code being the most famous) The well-known symbologist is called in by the director of CERN when a renowned scientist is found murdered. The scientist had created anti-matter, in an attempt to demonstrate that divine creation of the universe was scientifically explainable. The scientist has, of course, a brilliant and beautiful daughter. The tale has much payload regarding the Illuminati, an an ...more
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Dan Brown writes trash, but sometimes trash can have a certain allure. Sometimes trash sucks you in as you feel forced to reach the bottom of the rubbish pile and see what secrets it may be hiding.

And that’s the strongest aspect of his writing, the pull. Say what you want about the crazily outlandish plot that’s built upon a nest of poor research and flat characters. Say what you want about the anti-Catholic undertones and the semi-racist portrayal of the antagonist, there’s no denying the inte
Russell
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was Brown's book before the infamous "The Da Vinci Code." In many ways, this book was like a rough draft for "The Da Vinci Code", same character Langdon, same other characters, same basic start, same concepts, same bad research passed off as fact, same trick of having nearly every chapter end in cliffhanger, the same in so many ways.
Sadly, I think he did a better job the first time around.

I recommend you have a computer handy so you look up what Brown is talking about, and that way y
Rosey
Apr 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Religion always was, is, has been, and always will be a very sensitive subject for me. However this book was a "battle" of religion and science. The storyline was engaging. I have to admit that the beginning was a bit slow, but as the book progressed, the pace really picked up to a point I pruned myself out in the bathtub finishing it. There was a page I found to be very thought-provoking.

"Religion is like language or dress. We gravitate toward the practices with which we were raised
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review
4+ out of 5 stars to Dan Brown's Angels & Demons, the first book in his "Robert Langdon" thriller series. When I saw the movie trailer for The Da Vinci Code, I was hooked and immediately bought the book so I could read it first. When I got home, I realized it was not the first in the series...

I refused to read it... and then I went to the store and got the first one, Angels & Demons, so I could read them in order. And while it's not
Dan Schwent
When a physicist/priest is murdered, the word Illuminati branded into his chest, and a quarter-gram of antimatter stolen, it's up to renowned symbologist Robert Langdon to find the goods and the murderer. But can he stop someone from using the antimatter as a weapon, even with hot physicist Vittoria Vetra in tow?

After all the hype, I managed to dodge this bullet for over a decade but when my girlfriend caught me in a vulnerable moment between books, I knew the time had come.

Overall,
Danielle
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love a mystery
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown was one of the best page-turners I have ever read. From the very beginning I couldn’t put it down. I did not know where Dan Brown would take the story next. Following the main character Robert Langdon, a Harvard symbologist on his first great adventure was breathtaking. I wanted to learn more, to know the secrets of the Illuminati and the only way to do it was to let the story naturally unfold as I read. I can usually guess what is going to happen in thrillers, but ...more
Wendi
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, italy
So I honestly want to give the book three stars. What I enjoy about Brown is how he can write almost 600 pages of a book and I get almost to the end and realize that it has taken place all in the space of one day. As a writer, I would love to be able to do that. The weaving of religious and scientific themes into an adventure set in European locales is also right up my alley.

What I don't like... and why I am forced to drop down to two stars (just a few examples):

That same time stretching often
Ujjawal Sureka
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Series: Robert Langdon #1
Genre: Mystery, Detective fiction, Thriller
Publication Year: 2000

First in the Robert Langhdon series, this book introduces you to Robert Langdon, a historian turned detective... The storyline is a complete thriller from the beginning to the end, many unexpected twists keeps us on the edge of our seats..! Loved the characters, the story and the depth given to situations.
Hertzan Chimera
Feb 19, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Angels and Demons is one of the most insidiously-constructed page turners I’ve ever read and unlike other such efforts (Richard Laymon’s IN THE DARK) I actually raced to the end of it rather than throwing the thing half-finished against the wardrobe in rage. Think of Hercules Poirrot. Think of Inspector Morse. Think of Agatha Christie. Once you strip all the character and soul from these genre writers you have Dan Brown. They all have in common the one writer trick, etirwer (the backwards rewrit ...more
Luffy
This is an excerpt from my review of Inferno, which I read before Angels and Demons - With this glowing rating for Inferno, I seal my place among the cheap thrill seeking, easy going, instant gratification demanding readers. I welcome that the other Robert Langdon books follow the same tired schema.

Now then, it felt to me that most of the book was not living to this sugary craving of pulp literature. This brought me back to earth, when I was once airborne. However the book picked up for a fiery, flowe
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I actually prefered Angels and Demons over The DaVinci Code.
Ahmed H. Mansour
That was one of the best novels I`ve ever read
Here is one of the most few fact I believe in...
There`s a very tiny thin hair between every thing and it`s opposite...good & evil...dark & light...matter & antimatter..
Now...dose the scinetist have the right to creat whatever the hell he wanna creat just because he found out that he really CAN creat it?...YES...but how many leiutis that have been created along the way since the very beginning of the human history and was
Mario
Science tells me God must exist. My mind tells me I will never understand God. And my heart tells me I am not meant to.

The first time I read Angels and Demons was 4 years ago, and it completely blew me away. This was my fourth time reading it, and it still is one of my favorite books of all time, and I'm sure it will always remain on that position.

In this review, I won't go into the plot, since I think that everyone has either read it, seen the movie, or just heard of what it's about. I w
Shayantani
We have a term called ‘paisa vasool’ in Hindi. It means ‘worth the money’ and is generally used in reference to films. A mainstream Bollywood film is termed paisa vasool and is commercially successful only when it constitutes the following factors:

1) A hero who can do anything and everything under the sun. He can achieve impossible feats and always survives bizarre accidents.

2) A heroine comes across as smart independent women in beginning but turns into a cardboard cutou
Suzanne
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read that makes you ask yourself so many questions. I am not one to comment on religion or anything so no worries, there will be no rants! I have not seen the movie based on this book yet but seen it is free on demand so will probably check it out tonight or tomorrow. I will continue the series, but I believe I have read a couple of these books already awhile back but now want to read in order.
Rachael
Jun 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone stuck on a desert island who has no other option
In the first, I don't know, 30 pages or so a character is "overwhelmed" by the smell of frozen urine. Frozen things don't smell, let alone overwhelmingly. Shortly thereafter an expert in religion (or whatever he is, I've tried to block it out) is shocked to see a study containing both scientific and religious items. I should have put the book down then, but then I would have missed unbelievable characters, hackneyed descriptions and spitting in the face of the laws of physics and physiology. Use ...more
Gerasimos
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
When The Da Vinci Code phenomenon happened, I read most of Brown's novels and I enjoyed all of them. But for some reason I didn't read this one, his first one with his famous hero Robert Langdon. And now I really wonder why... because I loved it!

Dan Brown combines action with mystery, historical and science elements in an outstanding way and he creates an action thriller that you just cannot put down.

One of the greatest aspects of his books are the historical elements. There are times t
Peter
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller, mystery
Romp
I read The Da Vinci Code and then Angels and Demons one after the other or was it the same one twice. Hmmm not sure!

The Da Vinci Code was a fast-paced thriller that was a rollicking good read and became a huge success and a movie. Angels and Demons was a fast-paced thriller that was a rollicking good read and became a huge success and a movie. Well, one had Robert Langdon and an attractive female collaborator whose father was just murdered with something branded on his chest and the other
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I remember the first time I watched "The Da Vinci Code" and how much it scared me. I seriously hated it but after 2006 things changed for me. What I found interesting before changed. I become kind of obsessed with cults, religions, believes, signs and many other things. So I watched the movie on TV and I loved it, and now I'm a fan and can't wait for the other movies to come.

I bought "Angels and Demons" and I'm moving quickly i
Susan
Mar 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
As soon as I finished Angels & Demons, I started feeling guilty--and a bit two-faced. You see, I've been telling anyone who would listen (my poor husband, mainly), about Dan Brown's atrocious writing style. Nearly every page was riddled with exaggerated descriptions, cartoon-like characterizations, implausibilities (even for a thriller), and just plain clumsiness.

But I am forced to admit that I turned those pages pretty rapidly--maybe a hundred a day near the end. After all, I had to find o
Rahul Matthew
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So before Dan Brown wrote he was a pop singer/songwriter and Angels and Demons was a name of the album’s name before Divine Intervention!!! Holy Shih-Tzu!!!ROFL

Being a fan of classic rock and metal to name your pop album Angels and Demons would be crazy. Thank God he quit and I am sure the Church would have prayed he stayed!!!

But what if.....

He wanted to send a demo to the producers :

Pop album tracks-
a) Oops dropped another book title again-D
Megan
Nov 29, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed "The Da Vinci Code" as a trashy good time, but then read this one and just couldn't stop rolling my eyes. Not only was it silly and formulaic, it made the silly formula underlying "The Da Vinci Code" all too clear. Really? Another middle-aged yet strangely attractive/brilliant male protagonist -- oh wait, the same one from the other book? Another grisly murder of an old dude kicking things off? Another hot foreign chick, related to the dead dude, helping solve the mystery? Another secr ...more
Who was illuminati among American presidents? 3 23 Oct 07, 2019 11:41PM
Jadi kualitas - Vidio xxi hanya 1 2 Aug 28, 2019 07:33PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon #1) by Dan Brown - Restarting June 1st 2019 4 93 Jun 10, 2019 11:56AM
What's your favorite Dan Brown NOVEL??? 546 2281 Apr 22, 2019 06:27PM
Do you have to read all the books in order? 46 5093 Mar 21, 2019 03:01PM
classifica 1 3 Feb 12, 2019 01:28AM

• The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  • The Girl on the Train
  • Gone Girl
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • Clear and Present Danger (Jack Ryan, #5)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • The Kite Runner
  • Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1)
  • 1984
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird, #1)
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2)
  • And Then There Were None
  • A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
  • The Great Gatsby
  • The Lovely Bones
  • Lord of the Flies
Dan Brown is the author of numerous #1 bestselling novels, including The Da Vinci Code, which has become one of the best selling novels of all time as well as the subject of intellectual debate among readers and scholars. Brown’s novels are published in 52 languages around the world with 200 million copies in print.

In 2005, Brown was named one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World

Robert Langdon (5 books)
  • The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)
  • The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3)
  • Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4)
  • Origin (Robert Langdon, #5)
“Science and religion are not at odds. Science is simply too young to understand.” 3432 likes
“God answers all prayers, but sometimes his answer is 'no'.” 860 likes