Start by marking “Train Man” as Want to Read:
Train Man

Train Man

An instant bestseller when it was first published in Japan, Train Man became a multimedia sensation, generating a smash-hit TV series, a blockbuster film, and multiple manga series. Now here’s the novel that started it all.

Boy–bashful and not overly brave–defends girl from obnoxious drunk on a Tokyo train. Girl sends boy a thank-you pair of pricey HermésHermés
Published April 24th 2007 by Del Rey (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Train Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Train Man

Fiona McCandless
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I (perhaps ironically) started reading this book on a train, but soon had to put it down for I think my stifled laughter was worrying some of the other commuters.
This book, or collection of anonymous forum posts, follows the budding relationship between 'Train man' and 'Hermes'. Train Man - a once hardcore Otaku (japanese-style 'geek'), who spent most of his days watching questionable Anime, and playing computer games - transforms from his geek-dom, and wins the heart of the girl 'Hermes'
Intan Hurulaini
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I watch the drama long before i bought this book. The book format is simple and easy to read, as almost all are chatting log. Tho i know the direction of this story, it still make me excited when i read the development. And to think it is base on real chatting make it feel surreal. The people on the thread are really heart-warming people, and their support for Train Man is incredible. This book also proof of hardwork of people who making big illustration by typing, long before the emoji enter ou ...more
Phoebe Andamo
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: japanese
The novel basically consists of forum posts with ASCII characters by geeks. It was from 2さゃんねる 2channel, the anonymous bulletin board. The thread was for singles who were posting about their common woes and mundane lives.

One day, a geek shared his story on how he worked up the courage to stood against a drunk man in train, and saved women from harassment. Thereafter, a lady sent him Hermes tea cups as a thank you gift. He asked for advices from his fellow geeks on what to do next, and he was
Aiya
So cute and so sweet, it's the kind of book that leaves you smiling and just feeling good about the world. It's a fast, light and easy read, and the perfect cure for whenever you're feeling down.
Leigh Puzon
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast, funny and cute. Geek-ness overload! And full of positive vibes and hope and love. Ah... the beauty of first love. _|-|o

O
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People familiar with internet forums
Let me say this outright: Train Man is definitely not a book for everyone.

It's one of the geekiest books I've ever read, as it deals with a guy who meets a girl and tells people about it on an online forum. The aforementioned guy isn't the normal drop-dead gorgeous male lead you usually find in books, but rather, he's a normal otaku (or geek, in English) who is shy and awkward and seems to spend an abnormally large amount of time telling his woes to the internet. This person is me

Train Ma
Hoang
May 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
There are only a few love stories that seem to pop out at me. Most are too fantastic; they seem to take place in a fantasy world, a world that I cannot seem to relate to at all. Fantasies and fairy-tales are just a given. They are so unbelievable; one just has to follow the story along with no significant impact on the human emotion.
Train Man, by Nakano Hitori, is a story of an average Japanese otaku finding the love of his life. The story, however, chronicles a series of long online thre
Sooraya Evans
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
cute.
Donna
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Yue
Way too cute. Did not fail to move me all over again. The part where the netizens were cheering and congratulating him made me laugh like a maniac but with misty eyes. ((((;゚Д゚))))

The beginning of the book is not really a beginning; it is a continuation of a thread, and just out of the blue, this guy Train Man starts to tell his little adventure. The support he gets is amazing. Here we have a lonely, shy geek who has the chance to have his first relationship with a woman, and all the
Roxanne Walls
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am an internet addict, as well as a former forum lurker. It's never been new to see people ask for help with their lovelife on the boards. Train Man's case was quite different. It wasn't just a one-time question-and-answer on the boards. It helped solidify all the forum members into a cohesive community. I really enjoyed the story because it was so current. It highlighted one of the better parts of the internet community, as well as the advantages of having online "friends" to help you out.

Th
Bongski
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Chelle
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The story is about a geek guy (later on called Train Man in the forum) who saved a woman from a drunk person in the train. The guy begins to have a crush on the woman (which will be called Hermes), and he posted about it in the forum.

A lot of 'friends' from the forum began supporting and encouraging him to try to get closer with Hermes. Thanks to his friends' advices, Train Man began to have courage, even though he never had any experience with women before.

One thing that is quite i
Tiffany
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was fascinating not because of what it was about, but because of how it went about! It so clearly created an online community in such a human way that I knew I was seeing a glimpse of real lives, people, values and problems -- even if they were all fabricated! This author has a great grasp of humanity and the culture around him.

A totally interesting read for those intrigued by how supportive people can be at helping others reach their potential, and how it feels to be left
Jean
May 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a cute book. It's formatted as one long log of posting on a online bulletin board -- a modern epistolary style. The story is very much an ugly duckling fairy tale as the geek transforms and gets the girl. It was also fun reading all the other members reactions and advice at first but after awhile, it got tedious as well. I also wasn't sure how I felt that he had to change who he was. It's one thing for him to mature but it was also sending the message that geeks need to grow up and I'm ...more
Dinh
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting story that can really relate to me as an avid netizen lol. the reality of it is really heartwarming and relatable. :) love the random comments by some of the random people in the threads. trolls ftw xP
Anne
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Arra Cabuenos
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Does this have a second book? :)
Weng
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I decided to read the novel before I start watching the TV series and I have to say I have been laughing like an idiot while reading it. Love story from the point of view of a geek!
Korun Anne
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I definitely enjoyed reading this!! Not to mention the setting was in my favorite country! Sugoi.
Katherine
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are two big aspects to Train Man: its form, and its story.

Actually, before I get to anything else, note that the entire text is available for free online. The published book is just a dead tree version of the Internet posts; the edition from Del Rey suffers from what is, in my opinion, a mediocre translation. There's a link to the Internet archive of the posts, both in better English and in the original Japanese, later on in this review. The only benefit of buying the book is t
Marsha
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novel has a very basic plot line. A young man defends a young woman on a commuter train from an obnoxious drunken older man who is bothering her and other women on the train. After the young woman asks for the man’s address, she sends him some Hermès teacups as a thank you gift. She is very pretty and the young man is inexperienced with woman, but he would like to get to know her and thank her for the tea cups, so he goes on-line to a message board telling his story and asking for advice. T ...more
Axeshizzle
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Train Man is the true story of a man's journey to self-betterment, as told through the original threads he posted to on 2channel (the Japanese internet forum).

Starting out as just some guy asking for advice online, it quickly escalates into a direct helpline that the netizens(/users/posters) find themselves captivated by. Bearing witness to the events of Train Man's story, as told through his constant updates.
Train Man's updates are the plot, but the netizens' reactions and adv
J
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I remember this book was kinda a big deal when it was first published but for some reason I didnt get to read it then. Now I have. only 13 years later haha.
So, it’s a YA book. and it stays very true to its genre. light and fluffy. I guess I’d have enjoyed it a lot more if I’d read it a decade ago, because,well age isn’t just a number you know. Still, very cute, and made me feel quite nostalgic about the time when I was once, like these Geeks, spent an unhealthy amount of time chatting my days a
Sheryl
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Monkeybooks
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
David Rodolfo Areyzaga Santana
Even though I’m rating this book 3 stars, I need to stress that I did enjoy it, and that its translation into English bu Bonnie Elliott offers an interesting experience. My three-star rating relates more to the story itself since it’s on the generic side of the spectrum: boy meets girl, boy asks her out, they confess their love.

This book remains nonetheless special due to its style, since its presented as a forum thread from 2004, and due to its representation of male (mostly) geek c
Azaleah Mohd Anis
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was skeptical at first about whether or not I would enjoy this book. While the blurb was intriguing, the format it's written in put me off a little bit. However, I decided to push on and eventually found myself loving the story, but more importantly, the characters.

This story felt very real to me, probably because of the format and the sense of community that comes across from reading all the 'reply' posts. It's really more of a feel good, restore your faith in humanity kind of sto
Drew
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I first saw this at the bookstore, I was quickly attracted to the premise of the story. Boy meets girl. Boy likes girl but is a clueless geek. What to do? This is a very light read and only took me 3 days to finish (could've been 2 if I weren't so lazy!). It's a light, funny, unpretentious, and, at times, heart-warming read. There are no plot twists or drama here, that's true but it does fill you with this simple joy of cheering for an underdog and watching him transform to a winner. Huhu, ...more
Zurainie Asyiken
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was indeed a great book. Ya maybe I'm being exaggerated said it was so great. The perfect word for this book was beautiful. Beautiful love story between Train Man and Lady Miss Hermes.

At first, I admitted that I judged this book by its pages. I be like wutt? What is wrong with this book? It's like a group chat in a room chat but after I start to read it, I fall in love with it. My heart was beating so fast when I read this book like a fan girl's panting seeing her K pop idole Lol.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Calling You
  • Chain Mail: Addicted to You
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek (novel): Volume 1
  • Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime
  • Welcome to the N.H.K.
  • Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness
  • Ballad of a Shinigami, Vol. 1 (Ballad of a Shinigami, #1)
  • Be With You 今会いにゆきます
  • Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
  • Slum Online
  • In the Pool
  • Crest of the Stars 1: Princess of the Empire (Seikai no Monshou, #1)
  • Buku Ajar Koas Racun
  • The Scarlet Gang of Asakusa
  • Zaregoto 1: Book 1: The Kubikiri Cycle
  • The Apprenticeship of Big Toe P
  • A Wind Named Amnesia / Invader Summer
  • .hack//AI buster 2 (AI Buster, #2)
The name "Nakano Hitori" (中野独人) is a pun on the Japanese term "Naka no hitori", a term that refers to all the people who are part of message boards on the Internet.
This name was used as the shared pseudonym of te author(s) of "Densha Otoko": a collection/adaptation of posts on an online message board telling the story of a nerdy guy after he meets a girl on the train.
“Sejak bertemu dengannya, aku tidak pernah merasa tenang...
Dia telah membuatku berayun di antara harapan dan ketakutan...”
11 likes