Start by marking “Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)

Elvis and the Dearly Departed

(A Southern Cousins Mystery #1)

They say you can't get to Heaven without passing through the Eternal Rest Funeral Home. And no one gets into Eternal Rest without passing muster with Elvis--the basset hound who's convinced he's the reincarnation of the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Brewing up a big ol' pitcher of Mississippi mystery, Peggy Webb's delightful new series is as intoxicating as the Delta breeze.

Published October 1st 2008 by Kensington (first published August 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Elvis and the Dearly Departed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elvis and the Dearly Departed

Start your review of Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)
BrotherSkip
Too many cliches to be funny. More fluff then stuff. Even Elvis couldn't save it.
Bark
Mar 30, 2017 marked it as own-tbr
.99 @ Amazon US today. It has dogs and my friend Barb recommended the series. How could I resist?
QNPoohBear
Elvis ain't nothin' but a hound dog-literally. Elvis is a purebred Basset Hound of Tupelo, Mississippi. He's a hunka hunka burnin' love and the only dog in Tupelo, Mississippi to be the reincarnation of Elvis Presley. Elvis the hound dog is devoted to his human mom, Callie Valentine Jones, and her family. They run the Eternal Rest Funeral Home where the dearly departed get a non-stuffy, informal, fun send off and comfort from Elvis, of course. Callie is in charge of hair and makeup; Mama Ruby ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won't lie, I completely picked this book up ONLY because of the Basset Hound. I love the cozy mystery style as well, but as the human-Mommy of a Basset Hound that is what pulled me to this book. Is this book as strong as some of the other cozy mysteries I've read? I would have to say no, but it was a WHOLE LOT OF FUN. I loved the fact that I had NO idea who committed the crime (I'll admit I usually don't, I'm really not much of a detective)and I did love the bit of mixed-up romance within the ...more
Sally906
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I had such high hopes for this book, but felt the author was trying so hard to be funny that, for me, it wasn’t – I was just rolling my eyes. The clueless main character is Callie – a hairdresser with an ex-husband she still has sex with, a gambling addicted mother and an sidekick who is an generous sized woman who loves sex. Oh and the dog who doesn’t really play as big a role as the blurb would have you expect. He occasionally pops into the story and relates it from his point of view – while ...more
Courtney
I love crime and mystery books! This book is great because it adds humor which you often do not see. I was laughing so hard!!!! I cannot wait to ready the next one!!!
Kat Chan
Feb 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was painfully bad. To begin with, it is a poor ripoff of the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series-] A previously married female protagonist striking it out on her own. In the place of plus-sized sidekick Lula is plus-sized cousin, Lovie. The Stephanie sandwiches of Peanut Butter and Olives are replaced with Callie's Peanut Butter and Banana. Instead of Mafia-esque Trenton, New Jersey, the setting is Tupelo, MI, the birthplace of Elvis. The author creates a sickeningly Southern ...more
Beth
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute cute cute comfy mystery. It is not going to be a literary Noble prize winner; and I don't believe it is meant to be. Completely entertaining. Told from the point of view of Callie and her dog Elvis. Elvis believes, well he is Elvis reincarnated as a Basset Hound. Callie is a mixed up southern belle trying to divorce her husband because he won't have children. Meanwhile Callie and her friend Lovey find themselves in all sorts of pickles.
Barb
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Michele Lawrence
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
This has a Basset Hound in the story and on the cover - need I say more!

Perfect little cozy mystery. Likeable characters and laugh out loud moments. I loved the chapters written from Elvis' perspective (the Basset hound). I am eager to read the next Elvis adveture! I would recommend this to anyone who likes cozy mysteries.
Diane ~Firefly~
This is over the top silliness, but I enjoyed it. Callie and Lovie are cousins who have to find a missing corpse for their family.

What I enjoyed:
* I liked Callie, Lovie and the family. While they are "different", they are loyal.
* The chapters from dog Elvis's POV were fun, especially as he believes he is the reincarnation of Elvis

What could be better:
* Jack. He needs to come clean and fix the marriage instead of just showing up for sex whenever.
* They really didn't do much to catch the killer
Nicky
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-in-2010, kindle
Elvis and the Dearly Departed is a wonderful first novel to a series I am going to continue reading, I enjoyed this one that much I have the second one waiting to be read now. I love mysteries and crime novels and this one sounded to good to resist. I have to admit I do have a soft spot for Basset Hounds.

In this novel we meet the Valentine's who all have their own part to play in the running of Eternal Rest funeral home, and you come to realise that it just wouldn't work if one of them wasn't
chucklesthescot
I decided to read this one for two reasons-I love Elvis and his music, and because a dog that thinks he is Elvis sounded totally adorable. There was nothing wrong with Elvis the basset hound. It was the assorted human cast that I just could not stand.

Callie is our MC-southern hairdresser, about to be divorced and does make up for the dead in the family funeral home business. She is obsessed with her appearance, which I can sort of understand in her chosen profession, but she is such a dumb
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Ok. Let me first explain my rating a tad. Overall, I probably would have given this book 3 stars based on plot and characters. However, it has a dog...a funny dog...a dog who thinks he is (and may be) Elvis reincarnated. And in between some chapters, Elvis has his own chapters in which he is funny, endearing and snarky. Therefore, Elvis earned this book an additional star.

This is basically like a lot of other cozy mysteries and while there is no paranormal aspect, like I usually enjoy, there are
Julee Johnson-Tate
It was fun and cute, with adventures in Mississippi of Callie, her cousin Lovie, the rest of the eccentric family and her dog Elvis, who is indeed the reincarnated King.

The whole thing involves not only a murder mystery, but a temporarily disappearing corpse from the funeral home Callie's uncle owns. I was reading it as an eBook and still don't have the hang of "paging" back and forth to re-read some confusing events. By that, I mean I sometimes end up hitting the "advance" button on the left
Tamara Schwid
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a Southern gal at heart and this tugged at my heart bigtime! I have always been in love with Elvis, (any true southerner would be), but to have him reincarnated as a bassett hound is too much! I love that the dog thinks he is the king. His owner, both of them are still in love with each other but cannot come to terms. I love the fact that the plus size cousin is the hottest number in town. These books will definitely bring a smile to your face and keep you guessing all the way to the end! ...more
Connie
The book had positive possibilities, but I got bored in certain sections, meaning I read a lot of unnecessary fluff, and had a pretty good idea of the outcome nearly a hundred pages before the story's end.

I was really bothered by the lead protagonist's absolute cluelessness. I didn't like that she's "separated" from her husband, but is lured into having sex with him each time there's a quiet moment. And I never caught on to why exactly they're separated. That relationship is really far-fetched.
Wulfwyn
This was on my TBR for a long time. I got it for the basset hound named Elvis on the cover. I loved Elvis and his music when I was growing up. I thought it was fun having him reincarnated in the hound dog. I read this in between scary reading. I needed something to just relax and laugh with. For me, it did the job. I don’t expect reality when I read fiction. I also don’t expect my characters to be perfect examples of my idea of perfect people. The plot and characters were fun. I honestly didn’t ...more
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Debbie McDonald
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
It's cute. Elvis has been re-incarnated as a basset hound. And of course when he hears anyone sing he chimes in. He meets a female French Poodle who gives him fleas and of course there is a round of hunka hunka burnin love going on. Cute mystery, lots going on. Can't say too much more as it would give away the plot.
Lauretta
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a word - hilarious! The Southern Cousins kept me laughing to the end. Webb has a knack with Southern vernacular, and the plot, as unlikely as it seems (chasing down a corpse missing from a Mississippi funeral home, which may be in Las Vegas) moves quickly. Of course, Elvis, the bassett hound who thinks he is a reincarnation of the true King, is the real star of the show. He sees all, knows all, and understands a lot more than most humans. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.
Rebecca Cecil
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
LOVED THIS BOOK. IT WAS A FUNNY- MYSTERY. THE AUTHOR WRITES THE DOGS (THOUGHT WORDS) TO IN THE BOOK AND IT IS FUNNY. LOVED THE MYSTERY. THIS IS THE FIRST BOOK I READ BY THIS AUTHOR AND I INTEND TO READ MORE. I LOVE A GOOD MYSTERY AND WHEN THEY ALSO HAVE SOME FUNNY MOMENTS ALL THE BETTER, AND A LITTLE ROMANCE NEVER HURT ANYONE.
Donna Allison
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a hoot

Yes I will be reading more of Peggy Webb's books. This was the first book I read and I will tell other people about it. I love good old southern books especially about Mississippi with a mix of Arkansas beside it. Keep up the good work.
Ardnas
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
How cheesy can you get and still have a story that keeps your reader reading and laughing??? Peggy Webb has found the way to use every cliche possibly related to The King and added a chubby Bassett Hound named Elvis to make her readers enjoy every page. Good light quick read.
Kerry
Shelves: own-nook
Enjoyable quick read.
Monica
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun, easy book to read. I love Elvis! My version would have had him as a beagle instead of a basset but hey, either one ain’t nothing but a hound dog.
Alison (Lady Coffin) S
cute cozy
Dorothy
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
It took me a little while to get into it. Almost gave up on it, not too bad if you stick with it
Lori
Got e book FREE on Amazon.

Funny cozy mystery, had me laughing throughout story. Quick easy read.
Sheila Farrell
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
enjoyed the humour and relating to "Elvis P."
not really a fan of jumping between animal and human point of view but this was well done here
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2015 Reading Chal...: Elvis and the Dearly Departed by Peggy Webb 3 13 Mar 09, 2015 07:36AM

• Asking for Truffle (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Playing With Bonbon Fire (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #2)
  • In Cold Chocolate (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Plum Pudding Murder (Hannah Swensen, #12)
  • Botched 4 Murder (Sophie Kimball Mystery, #4)
  • Swamp Spook (Miss Fortune Mystery, #13)
  • Murder on Cape Cod (Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery, #1)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Murder at the Fortune Teller's Table (A Kelly Jackson Mystery #3)
  • Sealed Off (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #8)
  • Murder at Redwood Cove (A Kelly Jackson Mystery #1)
  • A Murderous Tangle (Seaside Knitters Society Mystery #14)
  • Reel of Fortune (Miss Fortune Mystery #12)
  • Plantation Shudders (Cajun Country Mystery, #1)
  • It Started One Christmas
  • Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind: A Bestseller's Odyssey from Atlanta to Hollywood
  • The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
  • A String of Beads (Jane Whitefield, #8)
Peggy Webb is a USA Today Bestselling author from Mississippi. She has written 70 novels, 200 magazine humor columns, 2 screenplays. Called a "comedic genius" by her peers, she writes romantic comedy and the hilarious Southern Cousins Mysteries as Peggy Webb. She writes literary fiction under the pen names Anna Michaels and Elaine Hussey. Pat Conroy calls her literary work "astonishing" and Kathie ...more

A Southern Cousins Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Elvis and the Grateful Dead (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #2)
  • Elvis And The Memphis Mambo Murders
  • Elvis and the Tropical Double Trouble
  • Elvis and the Blue Christmas Corpse
  • Elvis and the Bridegroom Stiffs (Southern Cousins Mystery #6)
  • Elvis and the Buried Brides (A Southern Cousins Mystery, plus bonus short story)
  • Elvis and the Rock-A-Hula Baby Capers: (A Southern Cousins Mystery, plus bonus soup recipes)
  • Elvis and the Pink Cadillac Corpse (A Southern Cousins Mystery, plus bonus recipes)
  • Elvis and the Blue Suede Bones: A Southern Cousins Mystery
  • Elvis and the Devil in Disguise: With Bonus Charmed Cat Mystery (A Southern Cousins Mystery)