Start by marking “Maximize Your Child's Bilingual Ability: Ideas and inspiration for even greater success and joy raising bilingual kids” as Want to Read:

Praised worldwide by parents and experts in the field, "Maximize Your Child's Bilingual Ability" is the uniquely empowering guidebook to the bilingual journey by Adam Beck, author of "Bilingual Success Stories Around the World" and founder of the popular blog Bilingual Monkeys and the lively forum The Bilingual Zoo.

Beck, a longtime practitioner of bilingual development in
310 pages
Published April 17th 2016 by Bilingual Adventures

To ask other readers questions about Maximize Your Child's Bilingual Ability, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maximize Your Child's Bilingual Ability

Start your review of Maximize Your Child's Bilingual Ability: Ideas and inspiration for even greater success and joy raising bilingual kids
Thenia
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
This book offers some good very basic points to start. But these points were too basic and too obvious. I liked that he alerted me to take bilingual journey more seriously but...
A) I felt like the whole meaning of his life was to raise his children such that they speak the "minority" language.
B) I hated those american style 'jokes'...
C) Incredibly repetitive.
Olena
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adam's advice on raising multilingual children is very valuable because he has tremendous experience in multilingual classroom and as a father of his own bilingual children.
Pros:
- the book is very well organized. There are two parts: Perspectives and Principles. Perspectives will shift your mindset about raising bilingual children, it is all about ways of thinking be mindful about your journey. Principles is a practical part. And the tips are so easy to implement, you can start right now.
- stori
Ella
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All in all, I would say it's a book worth your time if you are aiming to raise bilingual kids. It offers enough practical tips and ideas for you to work out a new language learning routine straight after reading.

The first half of the book is about adjusting your mindset and attitudes towards the task, which is necessary but probably one touch too lengthy and repetitive. The second half is where the author offers solid ideas and advice - the part that really earned the stars for the book in my c
talida
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adam Beck writes from his many years of experience of teaching at bilingual schools and offers practical tips as well as solid encouragement from his own life while raising bilingual children. I really enjoyed this book as I can relate as both the child and the parent of different bilingual journeys.

I grew up only speaking my family’s minority language (ml) until I started school in the majority language (ML). With parents that only spoke ml at home, I should have been fluent as I got older. But
Wally
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lifestyle
If this is the first book you read about raising bilingual children then you will find a lot of tips. If not, there are few tips that you might not have heard about from other books. I found it terribly repetitive, it could be condensed to half of what it is, if he would not repeat himself once and again in every chapter in one way or another. I think that you can get useful ideas even if you have read other books, just scan through it and focus on the parts that are relevant to you.
Justine
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF. Mostly a pep talk with some very basic advice.
Nhu Le
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fueled by noticeable improvement in my child's minority language after we spent a month back in Vietnam visiting the grandparents, I am in search for a deeper strategy and practical tips. This book is great for several reasons

I really enjoyed the principles section. It provides a frame to hang ideas and daily habits.

A few personal takeaways for me
- Talk, talk talk to the kids!!
- Read, read, read to the kids!
- Provide a print rich environment (and try not to get imagery to ovettake the print com
Anders Christensen
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found reading this comforting in that the author's situation and mine (my future one, anyway) are similar and I could relate to his situation. He writes well, and the book has a very personal tone with lots of stories from his experience. In terms of takeaways, I kept a google doc open while reading to jot down little ideas and concepts and ended up with a good page that I'll keep for reference. That said, I think this book could've been about a third shorter if you cut out the redundancy of t ...more
Juan Pablo Romero
Dec 08, 2021 rated it did not like it
I could not finish this book, and would not recommend it to anyone, ever.

The author is longwinded and repetitive.

In fact, I'll rephrase that last sentence to mimic the Author's writing style:

Adam Beck, the author of this book, will often take the least traveled road that would —perhaps unwillingly— take him into spirals of unnecessary soliloquy until he inevitably arrives to the predictable destination. He will fill pages with fluff with little to say. Let me use an example. In Japan, each New Y
Tomasz Szal
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are determined to raise your child to be bilingual/multilingual and you don't know where to start - this is a book for you. The book covers all the aspects of the bilingual journey you decided to embark upon - from setting your goals, through adjusting your mindset, finding your resources; all the way to multiple tips and tricks that you can apply in everyday life. Adam provides a unique insight into his own bilingual journey which allows the reader to better understand the aspects covere ...more
David
Dec 20, 2021 rated it liked it
I read this book because I have a 6 month old son and I want him to learn both English and Chinese. I was looking for specific methods and strategies that have been proven to help children learn multiple languages. For the most part this book was helpful in that regard. Before you pursue this book it's important to know how it's structured.

The first half is Adam sharing "Perspectives" which focuses on your mindset and how you should think. The second half is "Principles" which discusses what to
E
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It takes work and commitment to help your child become bilingual. My son is half Russian and half English, and I am hopeful that I would be able to share the knowledge of Russian language with him. I loved this book because it showed me the importance of strategy AND flexibility AND everyday efforts. Because of this book iI realized that little decisions that I make every day will either propel my son towards my goal of him being bilingual or the other way around. What I also understood is that ...more
Irem
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book because it has a lot of small tips and tactics on what you can do as a parent to give your children the gift of bilingualism. The book is structured in two parts: Perspectives & Principles. Perspectives are “ways of thinking”; ideas and ground rules for raising bilingual children and Principles are “ways of acting”; methods and applications that would allow you to enrich your children’s language abilities. Although at times I felt like some of the ideas were being repeated, ove ...more
Brendan
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has great advice for raising a bilingual child. The author does not try to make any illusions about it being easy, but there's a lot of practical advice and motivation to keep you on the right track on making your child or children better speakers in another language. I can also relate to it personally, since both he and I are English speaking fathers raising children in Japan.

Even if you aren't in the exact same situation, the advice can be applied to whatever language you want your c
Valentina Matveeva
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Must read book for every parent raising the bilingual children. As I live in the same country as the author does, it was very interesting to read about the same obstacles as I am sure I would ultimately face in the future.
For us majority language is Japanese as well, and even though I am not bilingual by birth, I do have pretty extensive knowledge of English, close enough to native, and want my child to be able to speak it as the second language, and my native - Russian as the third.

We have a v
Ko Matsuo
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
I love the idea of this book. Tips of how to raise bilingual kids.

The book is really a bunch of blogs which have been loosely compiled together into 2 themes. The takeaways are mostly high level (i.e, "you need to think long term") with a few gems. It is more of a book to start the conversation of how to raise bilingual kids than a manual or guide to how to do so.

I would have been happier if the entire book was summarized in one longer blog.
Richard Pohl
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has helped our family like no other. Thanks to authors many tips and strategies (I have to admit I took a less orthodox approach, though) I was able to make my daughter say there first words and sentences in the minority language! This is simply the number one book for parents, who want to raise their children bilingually.
Fish
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education, japan, language
Reading this book marked the beginning of my being a lot more mindful about raising my children to speak both English and Japanese. Beck's stories, parenting advice, and language teaching expertise are indispensable. I strongly recommend this book and its companion website/ bilingual parenting forum, http://bilingualzoo.com. ...more
Luka
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book gives so much more than just some words and ideas on how to raise a bilingual child. It gives you motivation whenever you pick it up, guidence in a time of despair, an insight of how it looks like in a normal biligual family and a warm feeling to know you are not alone. It's a joy to read!! The topics are simple yet great for raising a child. Would recommend it to anyone! ...more
Ryan Dash
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
2 stars. It is impressive how many different ways the author has found to say essentially the same things, and how often they are repeated. There are some good ideas in here, but wading through the needless text is unpleasant. A book a tenth the size would have done a much better job getting the points across. Still worth reading, I’d say – just be prepared to skip a lot.
Maria
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, unlimited
This was useful, but a) a little long and repetitive, and b) a bit intense. It seemed like the #1 thing he cared about for his children was their language ability!! But at the same time, I appreciated his comment that the time-intensive process of inculcating biligualism in children also results in a lot of quality time spent with them.
Alisa
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(also posted on amazon)

Adam brings us this book with his perspective as both a language educator and a parent in the trenches, living the experience alongside us. As Adam explains the pros and cons of his family’s language situation, the reader can draw parallels with his own situation, to see the favorable and less favorable conditions for his child’s bilingualism and form a plan of attack.

He separates the book into two distinct sections: “Perspectives” and “Principles” – making it clear that
Wojciech
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a receipt to achieve success in raising bilingual child. It consists of two parts. The first reveals all relevant information parents should know or should be aware of when making a decision to introduce child to a second language. The second one proposes solutions that can help to achieve one’s goal. This book is all about motivation and to be honest information included could be applied to any goal the reader wants to achieve.

If you want to be successful with anything you have to
MaykenAlanna
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you want to raise your child with two (or more) languages? Are you looking for concrete advice, tips and tricks?
What to do when your child answers in the majority language only? Are you the only minority language speaker in your child's environment? Your child is enrolled in a majority language school and there's little time for the minority language? You feel overwhelmed and alone?
Adam's book offers ideas and resources for all those situations and more. You are not alone, and this book will
yoon
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The book was divided into "Perspectives" and "Principles." The perspectives half was cheesy and not as helpful as I had hoped. The Principles half, however, was more helpful with practical tips and a helpful push towards a commitment + perseverance in fostering a bilingual home for our child. More determined to stick to the "minority language at home" approach (studied to be the most successful approach!)
- Heighten a sense of "need" to communicate in the minority language
- Bombard the home with
Noemie
Dec 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I read this book during my pregnancy and I’m glad I did. A lot of people assume that because you are a multilingual person it will come naturally to your children. The truth is it isn’t.It is a labour of love and dedication throughout the years. This book is a fantastic book to emphasise what’s it needed to be successful in this journey and goes deeper into asking why it is important for someone to transfer their own la language to a child. With the right amount of academics researches, tips and ...more
Tien Luong
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel lucky to get the book from my child was born.
The practices in the book is quite invaluable. The author tried to convey the big picture of the bilingual journey. His effort is deserved to be honor.
I am Vietnamese and my English speaking now is limited so by now I am just applying Read Aloud practice to my child. The book really encouraged me to take the first step on the journey. I will continue to build my English skills up to make the journey easier and more fun.
Just do the best today an
AHMET GOVEN
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is what you need! If you are raising or planning to raise a bilingual kid, this book will be your main guide. It contains everything about raising bilingual kids. You don't need teaching sets, cds, dvds or etc.. In this book Adam will tell you how to achieve your goal step by step with his own experience as a teacher and father. It is up to date and contains scientific information besides warm memories and experiences. ...more
Kevin Halloran
May 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
3.5 stars. A helpful guide to raising bilingual kids. My wife (who was raised bilingual and has worked as a Spanish teacher) and I (who learned to speak Spanish through school and travel) have a good foundation and found some of the content basic. The book probably could have been been half the length as well. But for those newer to considering the benefits and challenges of raising bilingual kids, this book is a treasure trove of wisdom and practical ideas.
Claudia Lazo
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book for raising bilingual kids

I would recommend this book to anyone who is raising bilingual children and even teachers of bilingual kids. For parents of bilingual children it gives you lots of tips and resources to maximize the use of the minority language based not only on the author’s experience raising his children but also on his experience as an English teacher.

• Raising a Bilingual Child
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • Be Bilingual - Practical Ideas for Multilingual Families
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Ogień i krew. Część 2 (Ogień i krew, #1B)
  • The Gruffalo (Gruffalo, #1)
  • One Magical Morning
  • Newton and the Big Mess
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
  • Achtung Baby: An American Mom on the German Art of Raising Self-Reliant Children
  • Don't Be Afraid, Little Ones
  • I Love You With All My Heart
  • Little Beaver and the Big Front Tooth
  • There's No Such Thing as Monsters
  • Spokojnie o wojnie
  • Montessori From the Start: 11 Montessori Home Activities for Infants and Toddlers That Boost Learning and Development (Montessori, Montessori From the ... Montessori at Home, Montessori Activities)
  • Żółwik z oceanu (Tuli Tuli opowiada, kto gdzie mieszka)
Adam Beck is the author of the popular books "Maximize Your Child’s Bilingual Ability" and "Bilingual Success Stories Around the World", both praised worldwide by parents and leaders in the field of child bilingualism for their practical and empowering approach to the bilingual aim. He is also the author of the playful “picture book for adults” titled "I WANT TO BE BILINGUAL!" (illustrated by Pave ...more

News & Interviews

It’s hard to believe the year 2022 is already coming to an end. That went fast, didn’t it? Still, there’s just enough time to wedge in a...
“In the time of your life—live! —William Saroyan” 0 likes
“It’s true, the older I grow, the more conscious I seem to become of how brief our lives really are, but I know I can still do better at appreciating the people in my life while we have this fleeting chance to be together.” 0 likes