Start by marking “Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)” as Want to Read:
Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)

Death at Victoria Dock

(Phryne Fisher #4)

A very young man with muddied hair, a pierced ear and a blue tattoo lies cradled in Phryne’s arms. But sadly it’s not another scene of glorious seduction—this time it’s death. Outraged by this brutal slaughter, Phryne promises to find out who is responsible. But Phryne doesn’t yet know how deeply into the mire she’ll have to go—bank robbery, tattoo parlours, pubs, spiritua ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Death at Victoria Dock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at Victoria Dock

Luffy
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I could have given this book 4 stars, but decided that I would now rate books 4 stars only if I wanted to reread them. To read this book was like pulling teeth. I find it hard to see myself NOT reading the sequels, however.

These books in the series are not memorable, but they are incendiary. I found it hard to have action sequences splice in right from the beginning. I couldn't feel cozy reading it. Also I found the promiscuity of the heroine shocking.

I know, it's a problem for me to accept that
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I was introduced to the lovely Phryne Fisher book series by the TV series. However, I just must point out that, despite liking the books my heart has been captivated by the TV series and I deeply, very deeply miss Detective Inspector Jack Robinson in this book. Now, he doesn't have a prominent role in the book series that have in the TV series and that is regrettable. At least that's how I feel.

Now, how about this book? I did enjoy reading this cozy mystery series. I quite like Phryne Fisher and
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The fabulous Phryne Fisher returns in the fourth installment of Kerry Greenwood’s delightful series, and she remains as clever, just, and chic as ever. When Phryne alights from her Hispano-Suiza only to have a handsome young anarchist die in her arms, she launches into an investigation at Melbourne’s wharf.

With the help of a new friend, a handsome communist wharfie named Peter Smith, and of her stalwarts — fellow “red-raggers” Cec and Bert, her intrepid maid Dot Williams, and adopted daughters
Alice Lippart
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Very enjoyable, as always.
Lisa
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love these cosy mysteries featuring the Honourable Phryne Fisher in 1928 Australia.

They're lots of fun with plenty of action and likeable characters - Phryne is great!
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, netgalley
A short little escapism read. This was my first Phryne book, tho it is number 4 in the series.. I had just started watching the tv series (at the recommendation of a good friend) and thought it was quite fun. I saw this book available for request on NetGalley (a long while back- 2016) and downloaded it, but, didn't get to it til this summer break. I think it's entertaining and I feel I know the characters much better having read one of the books. Phryne is unforgettable and I like her as a sleut ...more
Nikki
If you were under the impression that Phryne is unfeeling, that her lovers mean nothing to her, this one should thoroughly disabuse you of that notion. I don’t know how you could be under that illusion after the anger she feels about the people hurting Sasha in Cocaine Blues, or the way she protects Jane and Ruth, but still. The story opens with a young man dying in her arms and that injustice drives the story, through Phryne’s anger.

The story itself is a whole world away from what I’m used to/k
Richard Derus
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Rating: 2.5* of five

Death at Victoria Dock by Kerry Greenwood is the fourth installment in the Phryne Fisher series.

I am seriously irked. This Greenwood moll has something against teenaged girls, and puts them repeatedly in the most heinous jeopardy imaginable and then when they're extricated all is suddenly sweetness and light.

I don't do book reports, because if I want to know what a book's about I read it. I also hate spoilers. But I am about to make a big fat plot-ruining spoiler here, so go
Zoe
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a lady detective in the old days. Miss Marple, Jessica Fletcher, and obviously now, Phryne Fisher. I started watching the TV series first and then moved on to the books. The TV series is great, that is where you get to see The Honorable Miss Phryne Fisher in her old school splendor. On paper her glamour dims a little but she is still a formidable character.

I like the book well enough, this book has been dramatized and if you have seen the episode, you would be familiar with the book. I i
kris
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phryne Fisher solves the mystery of a missing girl and some chaos-making anarchists.

(I am slightly frustrated with the fact that the television show has cut several characters from the books. Especially when you realize that many of them are ladies: Mrs. Butler, Ruthie, WPC Jones, etc. Yes, many of the male police officers are eliminated too, but it's ... not a pleasing realization.)
Marijan
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I must say this was one of the finest Phryne Fisher novels I've red so far. Anarchists, religious zealosts, cuckkoolds and a machine gun. Roaring twenties really roar from the pages of this book.
Nikki
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
Another fun outing with Phryne, this one opening with a young man dying in Phryne’s arms. That gives us a driven, cold, angry Phryne. It’s always fun to see Phryne shocked right out of her comfort zone and realising that death can touch those around her, and this book gives us a Phryne who is almost (but not quite) out of her depth, with the kidnap of Dot and… well, everything else that happens.

I did find it a little too dramatic this time around, though. Anarchy! Guns! Seances! It’s all a bit s
Anastasia
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Death at Victoria Dock by Kerry Greenwood is the 4th book in the Phryne Fisher Mystery series. After witnessing the killing of a young man and being shot at, Phryne becomes mixed up with Latvian anarchists. She has also been hired to find a missing girl who disappeared after she was turned away from a nunnery. Another fast paced mystery where Phryne is ably assisted by her staff. There is never a dull moment with a nice satisfying ending.
Heidi
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite of the bunch— two mysteries for the price of one!!
Andree
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
From a narrative point of view, I enjoyed this one. But it also felt a little, overly dramatic, let's say. The foiling of an anarchist plot feels a tad over the top, at times.

But it is fairly well told, for all that. And Ruth and Jane are delightful, SO.

Oh, and:

2018 Reading Challenge - a book with characters who are twins (okay, so they're not major characters, and are involved in the depressing subplot around the (view spoiler) family, but it still counts. And I was g
Mike (the Paladin)
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Phryne again get's drawn into a mysterious and dangerous affair (yeah I know I get the word play there but Phryne's relationships don't actually reach the commitment level of affairs). When a young man dies in her arms she is incensed (partly at the waste of an attractive young man) and sets out to right the wrong.

These are very much their own thing so far as mystery series are concerned and have a pretty good mix of drama, mystery and humor. You will also get a dose of gratuitous sex in each on
Trish
I've definitely warmed to this series since seeing the TV show.
eyes.2c
Exciting and delightfully downplayed!

I have to say I love Phryne Fisher. I love her spirit of independence and savoie faire, a sleek fashionable woman, whose exterior hides a determined and compsionate heart. And
The epitome of the cool flapper detective and thoroughly modern woman fresh from the horrors of the European war theatre where she drove ambulances. Now she is here in Melbourne flouting convention at every turn, during the time between the wars when lives were recovering from unspoken
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
This was a quick read, just a couple of hours of escapism. My second Greenwood whodunit, and even more far-fetched than the first as Phryne tangles with Anarchists--on the road, at the bank, and in bed! She runs a simultaneous investigation into the unrelated disappearance of an "aristocratic" young woman who wants to be an Anglican nun despite her father's attempts to marry her well. Digging into that family's lovely garden opens a large can of very wiggly worms, but as always Phyrne and her co ...more
Maxine
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Phryne Fisher finds herself in the middle of a murder scene culminating in a beautiful young man with an anarchist tattoo dying in her arms, she is determined to discover who is responsible. At the same time, a young classmate of Phryne’s adopted daughter goes missing and she is hired to find her. The two plots run simultaneously for much of the novel although they are not connected. But they both lead Phryne into some very dark territory, one into a sinister plot to rob a bank and the othe ...more
LJ
DEATH AT VICTORIA DOCK (Private Investigator-Australia- VG
Greenwood, Kerry –4th in series
Allen & Unwin, 1992- Australian paperback
The Honorable Phryne Fisher becomes involved in hunting down anarchists after they shoot out her windscreen, and cause her to hold an attractive young man in her arms as he dies. The trail leads her to a tattoo parlor, spiritualist, a new lover and her “family” being in danger. Simultaneously, she is looking for a young girl who has run away from home wanting to j
Tony Hisgett
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having concluded that Kerry Greenwood may never write anymore Phryne Fisher books, I thought I would go back and reread some of the books to remind myself what I would be missing. After reading the first three books in quick succession I thought I would give them a rest, however I just couldn’t, it’s like trying to leave a few chocolates in the box for later. Eventually the knowledge they are sat there just waiting, becomes too much.

Like those illicit chocolates, this book didn’t disappoint. A t
Unwisely
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
OMG, why do I keep reading these? It was available in the library when I unexpectedly finished my book (the last quarter was footnotes and references, dangit), and I thought, hey, why not?

It's uncomfortably like eating a really processed baked good - you anticipate it'll be good, and parts are okay, but mostly it's icky and you feel gross when you're done with it. Such a Mary Sue. And so 80s in its choice of what it emphasizes. Still too much on the clothes, although the anarchist Latvians were
Donna
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2014
Phryne takes on anarchists and a side plot involving incest (yuk).

I keep sticking with this series even with its flaws. The setting is Australia but there is so little of Australia in it that for the first third of the book I was thinking they had moved to England. Phryne still hasn't grown on me that much--she's so perfect it's impossible to relate to her.

On the positive side, the books are entertaining and very quick reads. They are also reasonably priced for the Kindle and I do love the beaut
Ruth Bonetti
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read in the Phryne Fisher series, and it was a light holiday read. Greenwood captures the era with good attention to detail. Apart from the heroine Phryne, many characters were lightly sketched. A subplot was flimsy and so quickly resolved that I had to track back, thinking I'd skipped a page. Teenage incest, a choice topic for that era and this genre. Easy read, otherwise.
Maggie
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
I was enchanted to find a particularly nice telling of the Baba Yaga tale, which Peter tells to Jane and Ruth:

Once in Russia there was a witch called Baba Yaga. She lived in a hut on chicken's legs, enormous chicken's legs, so it could go anywhere. She rode through the sky in a storm in a pestle and mortar, grinding the heavens. A dreadful creature, Baba Yaga, conceived in hell, who ate her children—yes, Baba Yaga devoured all her children whole.

Once a young girl was sent out by her wicked stepm
Crystal
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I continue to really enjoy reading Phryne's stories. They are just the light reading I need right now, with so much history and culture and social issues snuck into them that they have a little more heft than the usual cozy. I love the flapper Melbourne setting. Yes, Phryne is a little bit too perfect. No, I never fear that she or those she cares for will be killed or seriously injured. But isn't it nice to have the female be the indestructive, fearless, dangerous one for once? When someone thre ...more
Toni
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
After her windshield is shattered by a bullet, Phryne Fisher gets out of her car to discover a man dying from gunshot wounds. She wants to avenge this young man's murder, so she uses her P.I. skills to find out who he was and why someone killed him. This leads her on a great adventure. In the meantime, she is hired to find a missing teenager, which Pryne does with aplomb. Again the setting, in Melbourne in 1928 and the slang really intrigued me. I will read more of this series.
Bob Vandam
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoy Miss Fisher TV show and the book delivered. Phryne's car is shot up and when she goes to examine it, she discovers that a boy was also shot and died in her arms. This leads her on a trail of Latvian anarchists. Her usual troopers are there, Dot, the maid, Bert and Cec, the taxi drivers, Mr. Butler, her butler, but now he has a wife, Mrs. Butler, who cooks and Hugh Collins, the police man who's fallen for Dot.
If you enjoy the PBS series, you'll probably enjoy this book
Goodreads Librari...: Possible duplicate 3 25 Feb 22, 2018 06:11PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Death at Victoria Dock - 12th March Book 1 2 Mar 27, 2013 06:18AM

• Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • A Decline in Prophets (Rowland Sinclair #2)
  • Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4)
  • Silent Murders (Roaring Twenties Mystery, #2)
  • World's Greatest Sleuth! (Holmes on the Range, #5)
  • The Devil in Music (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #4)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)
  • Away with the Fairies (Phryne Fisher, #11)
“If you are not scared then there is no merit in being brave.” 13 likes
“First, a bath. I'm feeling soiled. Too much contact with cold reality, I think.” 6 likes