Start by marking “A Place For Wolves” as Want to Read:
A Place For Wolves

A Place For Wolves

The author has stated that he has asked the publisher to withdraw this book from publication.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe meets Code Name Verity in this heartbreaking and poignant historical thriller.

James Mills isn't sure he can forgive his parents for dragging him away from his life, not to mention his best friend and sister, Anna. He's never
Published by SourceBooks Fire (first published April 2nd 2019)

Start your review of A Place For Wolves
Tamera Cook
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have to be absolutely fucking honest here, everybody. I’ve never been so disgusted in my life.

I’m going to give you a bit of a history lesson. It is going to be extremely summarized, because I don’t have the space to give you all the information in great detail. If you want to know more—and you should—I would encourage you to do some research yourself.

In the 90s, Yugoslavia broke apart into various different nation states. One of the states that wanted independence was Kosovo. Right beneath
Maria
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: earc
I’m a bit conflicted with this book. I started it with much enthusiasm, since the book sounded really awesome and I was surprised NetGalley granted me an eARC. But about 37% into the book, the enthusiasm dimmed down.

Because of one big problematic aspect that glared down at me as I raced to finish this book.

Okay spoilers galore, please read it with caution.

The book started with the protagonist, a black gay teen, James Mills writing a letter to his sister, Anna (who was in America the entirety of
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
Feb 25, 2019 marked it as wouldnt-touch-with-a-10-foot-pole
Shelves: releases-2019
A book about a romance and victimization of two non-Muslim, American boys set during a real-life historical genocide, with the villain being part of the demographic that was ethnically cleansed because - by the author’s own words - not everything is black & white?

FUCKING YIKES, GET THIS SHIT AWAY FROM ME.
Heidi Heilig
As discussions of this book evolve, it becomes clear to me that the book i blurbed while on submission years ago is either different from the version that went out in arcs, or i have areas of ignorance i need to work on (or both, considering i'm quite ignorant about a great many things.)

Either way, I'm editing my review in light of recent critiques, as it reads as flippant and disrespectful. To those I've hurt by my blurb, I apologize. I am always working to do better, clearly i need to work
Shaun Hutchinson
Update 2/28/19: due to my ignorance with regards to the war in Kosovo, and information I’ve since learned, I can no longer in good conscience recommend this book. I hope Kosoko is able to fix the problems that have been raised and find a way to bring this story to readers without causing hurt, at which point I will happily be able to support it again.

I'm going to have a lot to say about this between now and when it comes out. But for now I'll just say: Preorder this book NOW. It's that freaking
Maxx
Feb 25, 2019 added it
Shelves: nope, islamophobia, wtf
a muslim terrorist villain in a book about a muslim ethnic cleansing that happened in real life? not today satan.
Kosoko Jackson
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

A Place For Wolves is up for preorder!!!!
Preorder through my indie, and you'll get a signed, personalized copy, with a bonus special edition treat!

East City Books (my indie): http://bit.ly/EastWolves
IndieBound: http://bit.ly/IndieWolves
BN: http://bit.ly/BNWolves
AMZN: http://bit.ly/AMZWolves

I wrote this book, and it's pretty rad, if I do say so myself (though, over the past 3 years it damn near killed me...the price of art, ya know?).

But you can judge for yourself Summer 2019. I hope you
Taylor Bright (BuriedInBookland)
Thank you to Netgalley and the author for sending me this book in exchange for my honest review.

Actual rating: 2.5/5 stars

I wanted to like this book, I really did. But it just didn't sit with me right.

Now, the gay rep in this book was own voices and was done fantastically.
However, I have and issue with the plot and the history behind it. Now, I know nothing of this war so I can't speak on the accuracy of it, but I had an issue with the MCs both being non-Muslim Americans and sort of "on the
Nina
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Genocide isn't a romantic backdrop for your story.
val
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
If you’re going to write a book that takes place during a time where my culture has endured so much suffering have some goddamn respect. Saying Albanians are not all good and Serbians are not all bad as if the latter didnt commit fucking GENOCIDE against the former is disgusting. I’m so hurt by this this shit just SMELLS. Who tf let this book get published?
Maxwell
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
i don't need a book about soft gay boys cuddling during a genocide that neither of them are part of or really affected by, an authors note that says there is two sides to every story of ethnic cleansing, and a muslim villain who comes from the group being ethnically cleansed.

hard pass.
Amy
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sarah Ames-Foley
Feb 26, 2019 marked it as nah
I will not be reading this due to the issues brought up in this review and this review.
Lizzy Reads
Feb 26, 2019 added it
Shelves: nope
After reading this review and and this one, I'm not going to read this book. Usually, one or two reviews don't put me off reading a book that I was interested in but this is too much for me. I'm happy that at least the own voices PoC LGBTQAIP+ rep is good but it doesn't justify how the setting is handled and the choices the author made about the main characters and the characters they chose to be the villains.

Please, at least read the first review it is well written and, if you don't know
Sarah (A French Girl)
Mar 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
People may not like what I'm going to say, but I feel like there is a lot of virtue-signalling surrounding this book. While I understand why some people are angry, they should also remember that this is a work of fiction.

It is perhaps somewhat insensitive that what is essentially a love story between two Americans take place in a country which suffered from genocide. However, and I know I risk offending, I do not see why it warrant pulling the book, changing positive reviews into negative ones
ellie
fun fact: this is all ive ever needed in my entire life.

how am i a little in love with this book even though i haven't read a single page of it? i think it's because i'm so fucking glad it is a thing that will be published. it has a little of my heart in that way.@ all publishers i want more of queer own voices in every genre imaginable please
Thalia (neè Andi)
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
A book centered on Americans present during a genocide of Muslims, showing those Muslims as terrorists. The author would do well to quit writing.
Dylan
Feb 26, 2019 marked it as no-thanks
I added this to my to read shelf just based on seeing that it was being compared to Aristotle and Dante + Code Name Verity, but after reading some reviews I'm no longer interested as the book is coming off as very disrespectful to the communities that were impacted from this event.

Check out this review if you're curious: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reads-of-2019
Hot damn.

That was one of the best debuts I have ever read. The characters, the story, the writing... all so, so good. Bonus points for rep and bringing historical events to life.

I adored this. Even though I was anxious over the lives of my main men throughout the whole novel.

Full review to come!
Tash
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
a book with blatant islamophobia? keep it
Iris S.
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

Confession: I finished this book a while ago, and I have been putting off my review because I was hesitant to bring my concerns forward. This book has had largely positive reviews, and I was worried I had read it incorrectly. While the LGBTQ rep in this book is important, I found myself extremely uncomfortable with other aspects. But since I wasn't an ownvoices reviewer, I wanted to see if other people would
Erin Quinn
Dec 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really tried hard with this book, but I could not finish it. The description, comparing it to Code Name Verity and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, made me super excited to read it, because I loved both those books. But I just couldn’t get into it. Choppy writing and an unbelievable plot (and not in a good way) made this a forgettable read for me. I tried a few times to get into it, and I just couldn’t. I knew I just needed to call it a day and shelf it. Thanks to ...more
Cynthia
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
How about we don’t vilify victims of genocide and falsely compare them to their oppressors because they choose violence to fight back? Mmkay?
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
I'm not not enjoying this book but I'm not really enjoying it either. The setting feels very opaque to me at 50 pages in, and that's after doing a bunch of googling about the Kosovo war (when and where the book is set). And I don't feel especially interested in the main character. I think other people will probably love this book, but I'm trying to get better at not forcing myself through books I'm not enjoying. So bail!
Regsly
Feb 26, 2019 marked it as id-prefer-not-to
I'm definitely not reading this.

First, I'm sick and tired of American authors using other country's cultures and now recent history (that Albanians are still in the process of healing from) to write about more American characters. And that's just plain disgusting. It is wrong.

I was a child following the Kosovo war, well even before that, when the KLA first started their campaign. Of course, they never tell you about all the horrors, but with some research, specially now that everything is
Estee
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
4.5 stars!

For the past two days I have been engrossed in this book. You know how I know it’s good? Because my 15 minute pumping (and reading) sessions started stretching to 20 minutes - even at 3 am!!!

This book is Aristotle and Dante meets How I Live Now. Two of my favorite books!! I loved James. I loved the way his story unfolded. I loved the letters and relationship he had with his sister.

Aw heck, I loved this book - everyone should read this!!

The setting could almost seem post apocalyptic
Marie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, I've just finished the book.

I will give a full review tomorrow, but I just want to make one very important point: at no point, anywhere in this novel, is the main villain's religion mentioned or implied. Absolutely nothing the character says or does indicates that he is Muslim.

Regardless of the religious makeup of the people of Kosovo in the late '90s or today, not everyone was Muslim. That's true for a great deal of places on this planet. Not everyone practices or is a member of any
Emily
Feb 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
update 2/26/19: I saw some things people were saying on twitter about this book so I decided to go read some reviews and... wow. I didn't realize how wildly uneducated I am about the history surrounding the time period of the story, but I definitely know more now, and I agree a lot with what people are saying and the problems they're having with this book. I don't believe Kosoko Jackson had ill intent, but the way in which he chose to portray a tragedy that was less than 25 years ago and the ...more
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
Feb 26, 2019 marked it as say-no-to-this
Leah
Feb 25, 2019 marked it as yall-aint-shit
Please see this review for reasons why I'm not going to read this book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Love & Lies of Rukhsana Ali
  • Internment
  • Pet
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Darius the Great Is Not Okay (Darius The Great, #1)
  • Goddess of The Hunt
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • Ziggy, Stardust and Me
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Reverie
Born and raised in the DC Metro Area, Kosoko Jackson has worked in non-profit communications for the past four years. His debut, YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, comes out 2020 by SourcebooksFire.
“Sometimes, in life, there are no right or wrong answers, Dad used to tell me. Only the answer you can live with.” 2 likes
“The line between greatness and insanity is very thin, James. Many great people actually cross over it more than once.” 0 likes