Start by marking “The Crooked Trail (Magdalena Gottschalk #1)” as Want to Read:
The Crooked Trail (Magdalena Gottschalk #1)

The Crooked Trail

(Magdalena Gottschalk #1)

Lily Brooke, where small town charm and a hidden secret converge one fateful late autumn night. The demons of the past are determined to never be locked away again. MALB, the Mystical Alliance of Lily Brooke, consists of six childhood friends that are bound together in loyalty, friendship, and courage. Together, they all face the unleashed enchantments that are haunting th ...more
Published June 27th 2017 by Keebie Press

To ask other readers questions about The Crooked Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crooked Trail

Start your review of The Crooked Trail (Magdalena Gottschalk #1)
Julie Witt
Magdalena and her friends Gabriel and Hubert decide to spend a beautiful day exploring the woods behind Hubert's farm. Magdalena just celebrated her 13th birthday and her wish to have something exciting happen to her has come true, but not in the way she had hoped! When people say to "be careful what you wish for," this is exactly what they had in mind!

I loved the description of this book and was looking forward to reading it, but there were a few glaring problems that really took away from my a
Robin Morgan
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own-books
We all know about curiosity killing the cat, but in Magdalena Gottschalk’s case her snoopy around where she shouldn’t have wound up releasing in her charming small town of Lily Brooks demons which have been sequestered and safely locked up for years; demons which were part and parcel of the town’s dark secret.

On her [lucky] birthday, Magdalena and two of her friends Gabriel Bach and Hubert Mueller discover an opening to a concealed cave. The moment they did, she distinctly heard a numinous buzzi
Tia
"The Crooked Trail" is a young adult book about Magdelena Gottschalk and the adventure that starts one Saturday morning with her best friends Gabriel and Hubert. Behind Hubert's house are woods they decide to explore and it leads them to a fork in the path, one that leads to places known, and the other is a crooked path to places unknown. While trying to decide which path to take they stop atop a boulder to snack on some goodies that Hubert's mom made for them, and that's when Magda starts heari ...more
Lana
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was initially drawn to this book by the cover, but it turned into an epic fantasy-thriller I couldn’t put down! This middle grade story was full of magical spells, witches and demons, all to be discovered just beyond the Crooked Trail.
The story was about a group of young friends in the town of Lily Brooke that formed a group called The Mystical Alliance of Lily Brooke, MALB. Without giving too much away, somehow demons are unleashed on the town and MALB has to save the day.
This is a cute and
Kimberly Vanderbloom
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exciting!

I won this in Goodreads First Reads giveaway!

I was excited to read this book because it sounded like it would be something I really enjoyed. It started off a little slow but once they entered the forest there was no turning back. It held my attention and heart without letting it go. I will be recommending this book to my friends.
Joan Mitchell
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have-won
A story of intrigue and adventure. Some teenage friends stumble into a demonic situation they know nothing about. After finding out their parents could help, instead of asking them for help they decide to fix the problem themselves. In the process they form strong friendships and realize that family and friends are the most important things in life.
Glen
Sep 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

A girl turns 13 and goes exploring the woods outside her house. She manages to release a bunch of demons, and much lock them back up.

Didn't do much for me.
J.D. DeHart
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in an accessible way, the book would prove a welcome addition to Amy classroom or school library shelf. A fine young adult genre book.
Annarella
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book that can be appreciated by people of all ages. It's well written, entertaining and keep you hooked since the first pages.
I liked the characters, they were well written and likeable.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this arc
Olga
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Magdalena Gottschalk: The Crooked Trail” is the best example of young adult fiction I’ve read lately. Mysterious, enchanting, completely mesmerizing, it kept me in suspense till the last page.
Among the obvious pros of the book are a complex, twisted plot and a masterfully created feeling of tension which raises interest enormously! I’ve finished this book in one sitting.
The small, charming town of Lily Brooke and its inhabitants lead pretty measured simple lives. Until one day, after her thirte
Mark Buxton
My name is Magdalena. Gabriel, Hubert, and I only wanted to explore, but we seem to have awakened something demonic. The others couldn't hear the noises and voices, but they stayed with me as we ventured through the dark cave and into the giant, vacant treehouse. I felt like we were being controlled and lured along. We've since learned some adults in our village know about the noises and voices, and they held a secret meeting in the dungeon below the church. Gabriel and I hid behind the dungeon' ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magdalena Gottschalk: The Crooked Trail by M. Gail Grant follows Magdalena upon her thirteenth birthday when she discovers secrets in her quaint town of Lily Brooke. After an exploration through the woods with her friends, Gabriel and Hubert, leads them to a hidden cave, they find lanterns, sacrificial drawings on the walls, and a bizarre and empty tree house. To find answers behind the cave, they turn to their other friends for help. A strange book called Demonic Enchantments, and an even stran ...more
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

Magdalena Gottschalk: The Crooked Trail is an intriguing fantasy story that will appeal to both young adults and middle graders. For middle graders, the book is a bit long, but the character’s ages (they main characters are thirteen years old) are ideal for this age group.

Magdalena is a thirteen-year-old girl who feels like something is missing. Life is just too ordinary. Even though she has two best friends who mean
Amber
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway.
A fast paced paranormal read, full of mystery and adventure.
I simply adored this book. It reminded me of Nancy Drew, but with demons. The story is about a group of children who call themselves, the Mystical Alliance of Lily Brooke, who solve mysteries. Their newest mystery, however, all becomes to real when three of them accidentally unleash demons. These demons seek to destroy not only them, but everything the children hold dear. The characters were fu
DarkRaven Reviews
The plot really takes off, and how it is all going to end is totally unpredictable - the urge to keep turning pages increases in line with the pressure on the characters. The book is all beautifully written and masterfully created. I find the novel explores the effect on relationships which is literally 'mind-blowing'. I find this book is an extremely good read which is also very informative.

Within the first few chapters I just knew I couldn't put it down until I had devoured it's every content.
Linda Donohue
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways-read
Grant created a very good story of a mystery 13 year old friends solved. Enough fantasy to keep it interesting but not frightful. ,Smooth reading, The only inconsistency is the weather on the adventure night-pouring rain, misty rain and a full moon all at the same time. I recommend the book for young teens or almost teens. I received this book as a Good Reads Giveaway, and I thank the author for the opportunity to read and review this novel. The author is on her way to a literary career.
Aduragbemi Adekoya
This book is an interesting story-line that broaden one knowledge about the essence of marking birthday. I was able to pick the fact that the more birthday one celebrate, the more we find out our purpose in life. It teaches to be courageous and be firm even in the time of trials and lots more. The book is worth purchasing. I like it.
Katrina Kusa
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
like this book. very interesting story. recommend to read.
Christine
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! It’s such a good book and I am so excited to have connected with an author! Such a cool lady!

❤️
Tammie Burke
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was hard for me to get into. It finally became interesting around chapter 7. After that it is a good story, but the way the people talk is too proper.
Shelby Cohen
Good read for any youngster! Very adventurous and exciting. I received a copy from Voracious Readers. Needs to be re-edited, however.
Mary Ortiz
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved this book. I know it’s a book for teenagers but it was a really fun read. This book is about a young girl that discovers her purpose in life. Her and her friends go on an adventure and discover things aren’t always what they seem. Their small town of lily brook has a secret that they stumble across and this quickly go awry. They have accidentally released demons that have been locked up for years. Go on the journey with them to save their town and each other in this story. Thanks to good ...more
Barbara L Guthrie
rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2018
M. Grant
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lavender
Feb 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways, kindle, own
Placeholder

I won this book via Goodreads Giveaways.
Katie
rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2018
Dec 11, 2020
Amber
Aug 06, 2018

• House of Pearl, Sand and Shell
  • What Caroline Wants (Pushing the Boundaries, #1)
  • Goodbye, Hello: It's never too late to start again
  • Dead To US
  • Blood is Magic (Hearts of Dagon #1)
  • The Ghostwriter
  • The Mean, Green, Self-Love Manifesting Machine
  • A Storm is Brewing (Ivy's Botany Shop #3)
  • The Immortal Oath (Prime Vector, #1)
  • For Lila, Forever
  • Ride: Awakening (Puca Mates #1)
  • The Puzzle Women
  • Exposed (Men of Rogues Hollow #2)
  • From Rome With Love
  • Can't Get Enough (Dragon Kin #0.1)
  • There's No Business Like Mage Business: Casino Witch Mysteries 3
  • Chasing Ginger (The Misfits, #1)
  • 48 Hours: An Erotic Romance Novella
Melinda Gail resides in Canton, Georgia with her three daughters, husband of over twenty years, and two adorable fur babies. Surrounded by the north Georgia mountains, the scenery provides for inspirational settings for her novels. Being raised in the south, she brings a little southern flair and tradition to her characters all the while remembering the adventurous nature of middle grades to young ...more

Magdalena Gottschalk (3 books)
  • The Slippery Slope (Magdalena Gottschalk #2)
  • Lindtzl Kingdom (Magdalena Gottschalk #3)