Start by marking “Kingdom of the Blind (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #14)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of the Blind (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #14)

Kingdom of the Blind

(Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #14)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  24,727 ratings  ·  3,322 reviews

The entrancing new crime thriller featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, from number one New York Times bestselling author Louise Penny

When Armand Gamache receives a letter inviting him to an abandoned farmhouse outside of Three Pines, the former head of the Sûreté du Québec discovers that a complete stranger has named him as an executor of her will.

Armand never knew

Published November 27th 2018 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom of the Blind, please sign up.
Jackie You could, but you'd be depriving yourself of the immense pleasure of getting to know these wonderful characters from their beginnings. I would highly…moreYou could, but you'd be depriving yourself of the immense pleasure of getting to know these wonderful characters from their beginnings. I would highly recommend starting with the first book in the series. You'll have an advantage that most of us dedicated readers didn't have: all the books are already published and you won't have to wait for the next installment!(less)

·  24,727 ratings  ·  3,322 reviews

Diane S ☔
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately I have finished. I tried to make it last as long as possible, reading it slowly, even though I wanted to rush to the end. Three Pines, such picturesque village, I would love to live there, if it was real of course. I mentioned that to someone and they said, Yes, but they have alot of murders for such a small town. True, I had to laugh, but it is the characters, the the people that live there, and the way they care for each other, even the demented poet Ruth.

Well, this time no murd
Paromjit
It is always a joy to return to Three Pines and its eccentric and offbeat residents, and this is a blisteringly brilliant addition to the Detective Armand Gamache series. Gamache has been suspended as the Head of the Surete du Quebec, a result of the fallout from his last case. His son-in-law, Jean-Guy is now the Acting Head, caught between political machinations that are looking to laying the blame squarely on Gamache to pay the devastating price for his actions. Gamache feels he deserves to lo ...more
James Patterson
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just got done reading an advance copy of Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny. It's a fantastic book that had me guessing the entire way. You're not going to want to miss out on this one.
Jaline
It is easy to understand why readers love the village of Three Pines and its people. Symbolically, they represent all the finer things in life: wonderful and unique friendships, tolerance and acceptance, cozy homes and businesses, integrity and honesty. There is also good food, warm fireplaces, funny pets, and of course – the scales of justice personified by Chief Superintendent Armand Gamache of the Sûreté du Québec. These are many, if not all, of the reasons I love my visits to the fictional v ...more
Cathrine ☯️
4✚ 🦆🦆🦆🦆
“Fuck, fuck, fuck.”
Admit it fans. When you finish the last page and the road to Three Pines is closed until another winter comes, quoting Rosa is the only way to assuage our anguish.

It is currently very cold in Three Pines. So cold that Reine-Marie and others can be heard muttering “Why do we live here?” as the town loses power and is buried in snow.
But not to worry, comfort foods that rarely fail in their one great task are abundant.

“Oh heaven…do you have power?
Non. A generator.
Hooked
Paula Kalin
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery fans that enjoy deep character analysis
Recommended to Paula by: Bookclub
Louis Penny is back on track as one of the finest mystery writers with Kingdom of the Blind - #14 in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series.

One of my first GR friends, Susan from Argyle, Texas, recommended this series back in 2013. I decided to give it a go and started with How the Light Gets In which is #9 in the series. I fell in love with the the narrator’s Canadian accent. Ralph Cosham brought so much to this series. Unfortunately, he passed away not to long ago.

This series takes place in
Penny Watson
Phrynne
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an excellent read! Thank you Louise Penny for bringing Armand back to us - for a while there it looked as though it might not happen.

Kingdom of the Blind has everything we expect from a Three Pines novel. Gamache is his normal understanding, calm, all knowing self - and of course as usual, he is keeping secrets. Beauvoir is being emotionally torn apart which is very common for him. I must admit he is one character I just do not like probably because he is always letting Gamache down. And I
Linda
"We are only as blind as we want to be." (Maya Angelou)

And with that Louise Penny opens her captivating novel with the nooks and cranies of what appears to be truth on the surface but bears the scales of something far more devious below. Is it shadowy eyes that mirror the heart or the heart that mirrors what is in the line of pure vision?

Ah, our footsteps take us, once again, to the panoramic sight of Three Pines nestled in a barage of blanketed snow. Our familiar characters take refuge in the l
JanB
“In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king”

The Three Pines series is a favorite series of mine, and the village is a character in itself. In Penny’s own words the books are about “...the common yearning for community. For belonging. They’re about kindness, acceptance. Gratitude.” Wisdom and insight into human nature are infused into her books naturally and with ease. She’s never preachy but gives us much to think about.

Reading her books feels like coming home to good friends. Even
Liz
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bestof-2019

“In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.”

The Armand Gamache series is one of my absolute favorites. The books are much deeper than a typical mystery. It’s always about the why, not the how.

Continuing the story from the prior book, a load of deadly opiates is missing in Quebec. Gamache has not been cleared for allowing these opiates to get away from the Surete. In fact, the powers that be are looking to make him the scapegoat for the potential disaster if the drugs hit the streets.
Matt
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
After a lengthy binge-read of Louise Penny’s spectacular series, I was forced to wait a few weeks for this latest release. The wait was worth it, as Penny continues to impress while building on established story angles. Fans will surely find something with which they can relate in this highly detailed novel. On a cold day in the dead of winter, Chief Superintendent Armand Gamache finds himself searching for a nondescript home. He received a letter from a notary, asking that he attend this locati ...more
Esil
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Armand, you kept me waiting this year... Our annual date usually takes place at the end of the summer, but this year I had to wait until Christmas to read the next chapter in your life. But it was worth the wait.

Louise Penny knocked it out of the park again this year.

If you don’t know this series, it’s well worth it but you should start from the beginning. Through Gamache and a number of recurring characters, Penny tackles real and pressing issues, with depth, compassion and humour. This ti
Dennis
I've never read anything by Louise Penny before, and I've definitely never read her Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series, but you don't need to in order to follow along with Kingdom of the Blind. The author provides a lot of developments along the way for the reader to quickly get up to speed about the characters and their mishaps. While Armand Gamache is under suspension from the Sûreté du Québec, he receives a letter summoning him to preside over the execution of a will of a woman he's neve ...more
LJ
First Sentence: Armand Gamache slowed his car to a crawl, then stopped on the snow-covered secondary road.

Armand Gamache, former head of the Sûreté du Quebec, Myrna Landers, a bookseller, and a young builder have been named as liquidators (executors) for the will of an apparent stranger. But why the three of them, and not the woman's children? And how does a murder play into the disposition? Of greater concern to Gamache is locating the highly dangerous missing drugs over which Gamache was susp
Jim
Full disclosure. I am somewhat biased with regards to this series. I have read all of the books in this series and while some are better than others I haven't come across one that I haven't enjoyed. I like the characters and often find myself wishing that I could visit Three Pines. Sit in the bistro and enjoy good food and good company.

This book picks up approximately six months after Glass Houses. Armand Gamache, the former head of the Sûreté du Québec, remains on suspension for his part in all
Barbara

In this 14th book in the 'Chief Inspector Armand Gamache' series, the Canadian cop becomes the executor of a will and investigates a murder. The book can be read as a standalone, but familiarity with the series is a bonus.

*****

As the story opens, Chief Superintendent Armand Gamache of the Sûreté du Québec is on suspension for a partially bungled drug operation. While Gamache is under investigation he takes on another task, as executor of the will of Bertha Baumgartner - a woman he's nev
Brenda
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these trips to Three Pines and the visits with all the characters there. It’s an escape for me, even if I’m reading a story set during the winter while outside my home the temperature is below zero. I would love to have a piece of that tarte Tatin right now!

I really, really, really want to give this book 5 stars, but I hesitate. I don’t think it’s as strong as previous books in the series, but it’s still a very good book. Some of the secondary characters seemed a little “off” especially R
Laurie Anderson
Bless you, Louise Penny. And thank you for this extraordinary series, the people of Three Pines, and this wonderful book.
::hugs::
::pours tea and starts re-reading Kingdom of the Blind::
Marialyce
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...And we are back.....Back that is to the wonderful village of Three Pines, its residents, and of course Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, his family, friends, and his band of law enforcers.
I was ever so anxious to read this book as I have read and enjoyed most of the books in this series. When reading a series such as this, one can't help but think that you have gone home again, back to what you know and what you find good, wonderful, and always mysterious about being in Three Pines.

This book cl
Barbara
After the death of her husband, Louise Penny took a break which was expected to be her retirement from the Chief Inspector Gamache series. Readers love this series because of its setting - a tiny, almost-impossible to find village, Three Pines. Gamache, however, is the key to the serie's success. He is fiercely intelligent, an astounding police inspector, who possesses profound integrity.

This is a follow-up to the previous novel which involves Gamache's involvement in a huge drug bust, which had
Kristi Lamont
Well, it's not often that I finish a fiction book and immediately google the *DEA and a certain drug, but by golly I did this time. Scary, scary stuff -- and major props to Ms Penny for always being ahead of the curve on whatever's really going on out there regarding the latest in getting high/hooked/dead.

Now, that said, I'm going to pick nits. I'm entitled, right, as a longtime reader? Loyal dissent and such. (Yes I have read the entire series to date.)

First, that whole "the junkies and trannie
Edwin Hill
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do yourself a favor and start at the beginning of this remarkable series (with Still Life). I thoroughly enjoyed this book - as I have the entire Gamache series - but it definitely marks a change in the narrative arc of the story. If you've invested in the other books in the series, the end of this novel will pack an emotional wallop!
Stephanie
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, july, arc
Penny continues to show her incredible mastery -- whereas so many series would have long begun to disappoint by book 14, the Three Pines/Gamache series just keeps getting better and better. In KINGDOM OF THE BLIND, we have the storylines of the continuing investigation (and suspension) of Gamache following the incidents of GLASS HOUSES, the hunt for the drugs the Surete failed to capture at the end of that last book, and the curious events surrounding Gamache and Myrna being asked to be liquidat ...more
Sandy
Always a pleasure to read Louise Penny's sublime prose & spend time with her characters. These people have become old friends & I enjoy following them through all the changes & drama in their lives. This outing offers up great suspense, plenty of surprises & her trademark smart & twisty plot. If Three Pines existed, I'd move there in a heartbeat so I could fill my days browsing Myrna's bookshop, eating Gabri & Olivier's fabulous food & waddling around the green with R ...more
Julie
8.0/10

Perfect, light fare, when one doesn’t want to think much, but just enjoy the ride from the back seat. Louise Penny is my 21st century Agatha Christie. Comfortable characters, good food, good wine. What else do you need for a perfect Murder Most Lite?
Margaret
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5

Every year since 2005, when Louise Penny first published Still Life, another Armand Gamache novel has appeared. These last many years the books were released at the end of each August. This year Kingdom of the Blind wasn’t released until the end of November. In the Acknowledgements at the end of the book, Penny reveals the reason why. After the death of her beloved husband Michael, Penny decided to take a year off from writing, which she was doing, until she found herself beginning to write.
Dana
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to preface by saying I love, love, love this series of books. After hearing about it on What Should I Read Next , book one happened to go on sale. And from there I was hooked. I put down all the books in less than a year.

However, book 14 fell majorly flat for me. The dialogue felt forced and honestly repetitive. Even the dialogue between Armand and Jean-Guy did not feel as natural as it did in previous books. Glass Houses left off in a such an intense and wonderful place. I honestl
Dana
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I made my trip to Three Pines for the year, and made it last as long as I could. It was warm and cozy, as always.

This was not my favorite in the series, but still my favorite series of all time, with my favorite characters.

We were left with a little cliffhanger which will keep us guessing what will happen next in this imaginary little world I so want to live in.

Til next year......
Joe Jones
If you have read this far into the series you know what to expect. Louise Penny is one of those authors who I will put down any book I am currently reading to start hers. She never disappoints and this was not the exception! Get this as soon as you can!
Goodreads Librari...: update cover 2 22 Nov 27, 2018 03:28PM
Download PDF/ePub eBook Kingdom of the Blind: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel by Louise Penny 1 35 Nov 26, 2018 05:17PM
Authors like... 1 22 Oct 29, 2018 01:38AM

• Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)
  • To Die But Once (Maisie Dobbs, #14)
  • The Temptation of Forgiveness (Commissario Brunetti, #27)
  • Garden of Lamentations (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #17)
  • A Taste for Vengeance (Bruno, Chief of Police, #11)
  • Negative Image (Constable Molly Smith #4)
  • Among the Ruins (Rachel Getty & Esa Khattak, #3)
  • Things Fall Apart (Supervolcano, #3)
  • Wild Fire (Shetland Island, #8)
LOUISE PENNY, a former CBC radio journalist, is the #1 New York Times and Globe and Mail bestselling author of fourteen Chief Inspector Armand Gamache novels. She has been awarded the John Creasey Dagger, Nero, Macavity and Barry Awards, as well as two each of the Arthur Ellis and Dilys Awards. Additionally, Penny has won six Agatha Awards and five Anthony Awards, and has been a finalist for an Ed ...more

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1)
  • A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2)
  • The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)
  • A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)
  • The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7)
  • The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10)
“the four statements that lead to wisdom: I don’t know. I need help. I was wrong. I’m sorry.” 8 likes
“And now you see why lies matter. The actual fib might not matter, but what it shows us is that what you say can’t always be trusted. You can’t always be trusted.” 6 likes