Start by marking “Trespassing” as Want to Read:
Trespassing

Trespassing

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  11,638 ratings  ·  1,068 reviews
In a novel of mounting psychological suspense, a young mother follows a dangerous path to find her missing husband.

Veronica Cavanaugh’s grasp on the world is slipping. Her latest round of fertility treatments not only failed but left her on edge and unbalanced. And her three-year-old daughter, Elizabella, has a new imaginary friend, who seems much more devilish than playf
Published April 1st 2018 by Lake Union

To ask other readers questions about Trespassing, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shannon
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jessie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  11,638 ratings  ·  1,068 reviews

Start your review of Trespassing
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
What a suspenseful, psychological thriller!

Trespassing by Brandi Reeds was definitely not what I expected going into it! I honestly couldn't turn the pages fast enough as my mind raced with what-ifs only to be proven wrong, time & time again.

"I wish they understood that no one in her right mind would choose to go through what I’m going through."

In Trespassing we meet Veronica, a mom to 3 year old Bella who is struggling to get pregnant again via IVF. When we first meet Veronica &
Carrie
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Trespassing by Brandi Reeds is a novel of psychological suspense in which readers start off meeting Veronica Cavanaugh, a young mother who is in the midst of fertility treatments while dealing with her precocious three year old. Veronica feels that she and her husband have the perfect marriage with the one exception of having such difficulty getting pregnant.

Veronica begins to worry about her daughter, Elizabella, when it seems she has conjured an imaginary playmate and with mental i
Linda
Rockabye Baby......

It chimes on Veronica Cavanaugh's phone to signal that the fertility clinic has news. Good, bad, or still pending. Veronica and her husband, Micah, are joined at the hip in their determination to conceive another child. Their three year old daughter, Elizabella, is proof that the treatments work. It's just a matter of time.

But time doesn't seem to play out right for Veronica. Her pilot husband left days ago on a routine flight to New York City and hasn'
Paula W
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was more than halfway through the book sometime last night, there were a grand total of zero reviews for this book on Goodreads. I received this for free as my choice of Amazon First Reads for the month of March, so I went back to Amazon to see the reviews there. Total of two. A few more have trickled in since then, but I have never been one of the first people to review a book before. This is exciting and a bit scary.

In "Trespassing", Veronica and Micah are parents of a toddler and tryi
Andrew Langert
The protagonist (Veronica Cavanaugh) is a young wife whose husband, a pilot, has gone missing. Did he die in a plane crash? Or was something more diabolical going on?
Despite the fact that the author introduced Veronica’s annoying 3-year-old daughter early on, the book started out fairly strong. But then Veronica starts constantly agonizing over her inability to bear additional children. She spends pages and pages questioning her own sanity as she undertakes an extended search to find out t
Diana
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn’t love a book where the narrator questions her own sanity? I personally LOVE such a book!

In Trespassing, we follow Veronica and her 3-year-old daughter, Elizabella. Veronica’s husband goes missing and then, seemingly, all hell breaks loose. Veronica begins to question what is real and what is not and to make things worse, Elizabella says the creepiest things!

I recommend this to all fans of suspense.
Joey R.
Apr 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
1.5 Stars— “Trespassing” by Brandi Reeds was a Kindle First selection that I read based on the very good reviews it received on both Goodreads and Amazon. I really enjoyed the beginning of the novel as Veronica, the mother and main character, becomes worried after her 3 year old child develops a strange relationship with her imaginary friend, Nini. When Nini begins to predict some tragic events in Veronica’s family’s life and they end up coming true, the novel reaches its creepiest and highest p ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
3.5 STARS

When Bella begins talking to her imaginary friend Nini, Veronica worries three-year-old Elizabella may have inherited her mother and grandmother’s schizophrenia. Bella predicts her father Micah’s death and then he disappears. Veronica discovers Micah has secrets, so many secrets. Then the police begin looking at her like a suspect in his presumed murder and she wonders if she’s the one who inherited the mental illness.

Brandi Reeds’ debut novel kept me interested
Kristi Cook
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best thriller I've read in a long time! I literally stayed up half the night so that I could finish it in one sitting. And unlike most thrillers, it wasn't too easy to figure out *and* the resolution was satisfying (and made sense).
Vicki Willis
Wow, this book was a surprise to me. I got it from the Kindle First program so it wasn't one I had heard about prior to choosing it. I am so glad I picked it! It was impossible to put down and I read it in 2 days!
It is about a woman whose husband goes missing and she begins to question her sanity. She is overwhelmed with a young daughter, being in the midst of IVF treatments and more questions than answers. Of course, being the spouse she is being looked at closely and for good reason.
The
Kristin
Mar 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF

Not my cup of tea.

I found the plot boring. The characters weak (as in spineless) and unrealistic. Elizabella (...that name...*sigh*) was a spoiled brat and Veronica was so spineless she was letting her 3 year old run the show.

What drew me to this book was the character going for fertility treatments, as someone who also suffers from infertility and had to get treatments as well (though it was minor treatment, compared to IVF) I was kind of excited to read about a
Madeline
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Be careful when making a cake! or maybe—-

Where in the World is MICAH????!

The author spent some time planning this story---sort of. I liked the mystery, the way Veronica’s life began to change when unexpected events took place, how she dealt with the blows.

The best part of the book for me was the adorable Bella, because of what she had to say and the way she interacted with her mommy. I loved the description of how she blew up her cheeks when angry, stuck out her lower lip an
Wendy
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do like books like this – A LOT. It nurtures suspicion to perfection by playing on a person’s anxiety, leading them head-first into an unknown they didn’t think was possible.

It takes several assured steps away from any run-of-the-mill ‘psychological domestic drama’, at least in my humble opinion. It didn’t miss a beat, especially when doubt and fear cast long shadows over our leading lady’s life. And her daughter’s imaginary friend is quite unsettling at times!

Given her
Bridget
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ i received this book through Amazon first reads and had it not been free, I would have GLADLY purchased it! I have seen reviews saying this is a slow burn but for me it was much different. I read it in one day and could not put it down! It’s hard to believe this is the authors debut psychological thriller. While this is not a huge shock and awe conclusion, it is every bit as satisfying and kept me glued to the pages. Loved this book so much and will definitely look for more from this a ...more
Nancy Wyckoff
Mar 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Big dislike!

It's so rare for me to not finish a book, especially when I pay for it. I tried to pick it back up several times but I was so bored with the drawn out husband disappearance and that 3 year old was just such an annoying little brat that I finally decided I hated everything about it.
Kira FlowerChild
This book has all the elements of a suspense thriller: Husband Micah disappears, wife Veronica finds out he has been hiding all kinds of things from her, both personal and financial, wife feels like she is being watched and at one point is certain she is being followed on the highway by another car. Not to mention the fact that Veronica's daughter, Elizabella (ugh! hate that name!), keeps talking about things that her invisible playmate "Nini" tells her - things the child could not possibly know ...more
Darcia Helle
Trespassing is an eerie, surprising, slow burn that kept me reading even while my eyes were begging to close.

Early on, I worried this would be a storyline of which I've grown weary, with a naive woman duped by her lying and controlling husband. But this story takes us to totally unexpected places, and it's not at all a rehashed version of the stereotypical duped housewife.

The writing is exceptional. I felt the emotional pull; the confusion, the anxiety, the fear. Because
Elyssa
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I finish what I start

Spoiler alert: I gutted through it to see if at the very least the pieces would be artfully gutted together. The dialogue is cringeworthy. The overdone urban mom struggle is annoying. The weak attempt to make the protagonist doubt her own sanity made a mockery of mental illness and further casts an unrealistic and negative shadow over mental illness. The stereotyped “organic” neighbor is infuriating. The IVF struggles play too big of a role. This story is completely bogg
Lauren
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, thriller
I'm currently giving away a copy of TRESPASSING here. US only!

Does anyone else think that thrillers this year just keep getting better and better? Honestly, I think each one I read is better than the last, and Brandi Reeds's Trespassing only proves this further in my opinion.

Trespassing is not good, not great, but EXCELLENT! I made the fatal mistake of starting this at 10 pm at night. Silly me...I thought I could read a couple of chapters and put it down for the night, but of course that's not w
marilyn
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Veronica is dealing with infertility, treatments, a husband who is normally gone a lot and is now missing, a handful of a 3 year old precocious daughter, worries that she and/or her daughter may have inherited her mother's schizophrenia, her daughter's imaginary playmate, and a myriad of other problems. With too much on her plate, Veronica and her world, are falling apart. Then along comes a police investigation into her missing husband and shadowy figures that seem to be stalking her and Veroni ...more
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“Not everything is fixable. Sometimes life just sucks, and there’s nothing to do but cope—and coping is hard work.”

Veronica Cavanaugh has it pretty rough. She’s emotional and distraught over fertility treatments that failing, overwhelmed by her attention-seeking and difficult three-year old daughter, and in the middle of an investigation where her husband has gone missing without a trace. It doesn’t help that her sanity may also be pulling the disappearing act…

This one had so many
Chris Steeden
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The stress is palpable; you can feel it coming through the pages as three-year-old Elizabella (with her imaginary friend) has another tantrum and her mother, Veronica, is seemingly close to a breakdown as it is all becoming too much. Then a drip-by-drip approach is laid out as circumstances begin to unfold and Veronica’s life is turned upside-down. A missing husband, failed IVF, lies, deceit, paranoia, money and mental illness. Like Veronica, the reader is left wondering and trying to figure jus ...more
Terrie
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
A quick, standard read. I keep trying these types of books and am mostly disappointed. There's TOO much "woe is me", "am I going crazy", "what if.....???" I don't like the constant repetition that I'm sure is supposed to reflect the confusion or fear or something of the character, but I just find it off-putting. So while some may like this type of character, it's not for me. The little girl seemed pretty together for a 3 year old....more so than the mom sometimes.
Jay
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put the book down for the first half but then it just dragged and I stopped caring. I flipped to the end and half read. I feel awful saying that because the first half was so good. Just by the 50% mark I was like OMG enough already what happened???
Sagar
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trespassing started off really well and 70% of it was really interesting. I felt the ending was moderate for such a start.

There are still voices in my head seeking answers and jumping to conclusions just like Veronica.
Pretty Peony
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know what to expect going into this book. The beginning really hooked me, so I couldn’t put the book down. I finished this book in one day. I don’t normally read thrillers, but I seem to somehow really get into them.

This story started out with a mother and her three-year-old daughter. The daughter talks to an invisible friend and tells her mother about something that is about to happen. The mother then is taken through a whirlwind of events where she decides to take the situ
Beverly Duffy
i was pleasantly surprised with this one. I couldn’t put it down. I thought I figured it out and was surprised I was totally off. Really enjoyed this quick read!
Shalini Raakendra
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, thrillers
Trespassing is one of the better psychological thrillers I’ve read in the recent times. I got it on my prime first reads this month. I started reading it as a part of my regular bed time routine, the two chapters a night sort of thing and ended up staying up till about 3:00 in the morning. I lay awake for a long time because I was terrified to sleep. This book can truly make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Having said that, I give it a 4 star because of two reasons. The first one bei ...more
Lynn (Smile24k)
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
*sigh* this book has really good reviews, but for me it fell a bit flat. I chose this book as my free Kindle book for March based on the great reviews.

The basic idea of the book is a good one - woman's husband goes missing but she's not sure whether he is missing, dead, or whether she's going crazy and the whole thing is in her head. Add in a toddler daughter with a creepy imaginary friend, and you have the makings of what should have been a good story. But where it went wrong for me is that it
Donna Hale
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Just ok

I chose this book because I love a good beach setting. The plot was good and there was a lot I liked about this novel but there were just too many things that frustrated me. I found the lead character to be too much of a wimp. I wish she had a stronger personality and a would have put the police and detectives in their places for all of their wrongful accusations. It just got to be too much. Also her daughter was a bit too manipulative to be just three years old. Maybe the age rang

• The Thinnest Air
  • It Ends with Her
  • Silent Victim
  • Lies That Bind Us
  • Whisper Me This
  • When Never Comes
  • Neighborly
  • Twist of Faith (Ava Saunders #1)
  • Tips for Living
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
  • A Killer's Mind (Zoe Bentley Mystery, #1)
  • I Will Never Leave You
  • Every Single Secret
  • Here To Stay
  • What You Did
  • Rapid Falls
  • What Have You Done
  • The King Tides (Lancaster & Daniels, #1)
“not everything is fixable. Sometimes life just sucks, and there’s nothing to do but cope—and coping is hard work.” 4 likes
“That’s when communication fails: when people start making assumptions. Don’t infer I feel something based on something I never said.” 3 likes