Start by marking “Do You Believe in Unicorns?” as Want to Read:
Do You Believe in Unicorns?

Do You Believe in Unicorns?

Is believing in magic the key to seeing a unicorn? If you keep your eyes open to wonder, the possibilities are endless.

Is that a horse wearing a hat? It's definitely not a unicorn in disguise -- that would be ridiculous, right? It's probably just a horse that's having a bad hair day. Or trying to keep the sun out of its eyes. Or perhaps this horse just really likes hats! I
Published September 4th 2018 by Candlewick Press (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Do You Believe in Unicorns?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do You Believe in Unicorns?

Bekka
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another very cute unicorn book! Clever humor and the illustrations are quite good. Kids will enjoy the "find it" elements, and parents will appreciate the humor.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

This a such a beguiling, positively sparkling picture book! "Hey look- it's a horse in a hat", begins Do You Believe in Unicorns; and indeed, the reader can see that there is an adorable horse wearing a tall, jaunty, red hat. The narrator of the story, however, then continues with, "No, I do not think it could be a unicorn in disguise. That's ridiculous.". Hmm. Now that's an intriguing comment to make! That's something to think about here...Is this creature a horse wearing a hat, or might it act
Vera Godley
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We never find out if the horse in the red hat is a horse or a unicorn that is hiding his horn. But what does it matter?

A cute read that handles our personal mindset that we have something about us that we wish we could hide but should we really hide our blotches and "horns"?

When the hat comes off, we still can't tell if the critter is a horse or a unicorn because he blends nicely into the pictures and we can "believe" he is a unicorn, or we can believe he is a horse. But do you believe in unicor
Karen
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unicorns are creatures of magic and this is a magical little picture book about them. The book starts out a little slowly by asking the reader if they believe in unicorns. Is the lovely white pony wearing a tall red hat to conceal his horn, or does he have a more logical reason? How about the painted pony in the witches pointy hat? Possibilities exist on every turn of the page until the author reveals the truth--people see what they want to, and magic exists if you believe.

Loved the illustration
Tasha
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
That must be a horse wearing a tall hat, right? It couldn’t be a unicorn in disguise. Perhaps it’s all in how you choose to see things. Maybe the horse is having a bad hair day? It could just like the color red. Yet even when the hat is removed, there’s still a question of whether you the reader believe in unicorns or not. So, do you?

This very simple book has text with a modern vibe that keeps the book firmly rooted in today rather than a mythical world. So the questions become whether young rea
Eve Costarelli
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do You Believe In Unicorns by Bethanie Deeney Murguia
This book allows you to believe in magic. It offers just the inkling of possibility that dreams are real and who is to say they are not. It is all about perspective and this is a book by continually posing questions and then offering up silly but plausible answers, it allows young children to relish in their dreams and keep alive the possibility of them being reality. The book affirms the creativity of childhood and presses the message to keep
Zoë Reilly-Ansons
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Do you believe in unicorns? This charming picture book has everything a good picture book should have. The text is funny and will make children think. The illustrations are adorable, add to the story, and encourage children to look carefully.

This book is perfect for preschoolers as it is short with only a few lines of text on each page. But I could also see older children enjoying it as well.

I look forward to using this book in my library storytimes.

*Thank you to LibraryThing Early Reviewers a
Sara
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book is so adorable and fun. I'd say for ages 6 and under. Definitely not a 'girly' unicorn book. No glitter, no rainbows, nothing overwhelming, which is why I think I loved it SO much! This is a book for ALL children, especially if those children believe in unicorns! It's clever and the artwork is very fun and colorful. And there is a little bit of fun interacting on the back cover as you get to create your own unicorn wi
Pam
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A horse comes out with a hat on. The narrator doubts that it's a unicorn and offers all sorts of ideas why a horse would wear a hat.
At the end the hats are on the ground and when you turn the page you see three unicorns. The author leaves the reader with the thought that you may only be able to see unicorns if you believe in them.
Hints in the illustrations on each page that the "horse" really is a unicorn. Readers can search for these and find them.
The concept was simple.
Meredith
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
As a horse wearing a red top hat makes the journey to a secret rendezvous, the reader is invited to guess whether or not it is really unicorn in disguise.

Children who still believe in magic will love this book. The illustrations are cleverly done to hint that the horse is actually a unicorn without providing any definitive evidence either way. After all, it concludes (view spoiler)
Bethany
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's a horse wearing a top hat. Or maybe it's a unicorn, hiding its tell-tale appendage. And, just when we might have a chance to see for sure ... there's just too much uncertainty! Perhaps, in the end, it doesn't matter so much if it's a horse or a unicorn, but rather if we want to see magic or not.

This is a fun book to pair with Duck! Rabbit!
Katie
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short, cute book in which the narrator questions why someone would think the main character, a white horse wearing a hat, would be a unicorn. Illustrations are large enough to share with a group.
Bruce
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought the artwork was fantastic, the story lacking. When reading for 3-7 year olds, I find they like tangible, strong themes rather than some nebulous "if you believe in them they will exist" storyline. Cute pictures though.
Lynn  Davidson
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The narrator appears to not believe in unicorns and is trying to convince the reader - and himself/herself - that the story is not about a unicorn in disguise but about a horse wearing a tall hat. Fun illustrations.
Amanda
So clever. Is this a horse wearing a red hat or something so much more? Could this really be a unicorn in disguise? Maybe readers only see what they expect to see? Do you see a dragon in the book or is it just a lizard tagging along? I love the concept illustrated here that believing is seeing.
Amy
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Cute but nothing outstanding. If you have a child who loves unicorns, this would be a really fun story.
Barbra
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A horse in a hat, but is it? What could be under the hat? Perhaps it is a unicorn. Children will follow the bright illustrations and the horse eagerly wondering if a unicorn will be revealed.
Mary Lee
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Do you believe?
Relyn
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers and librarians for read aloud
Recommended to Relyn by: Junior Library Guild
Shelves: library-lessons
What a hoot. This whimsical and witty picture book is sure to prompt much discussion. I love it!
Anmiryam
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute and knowing illustrations make this simple picture book fun.
Rachel
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full of fun and imagination, like how the author "talks" to the reader.
Cecilia
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is cute and simple. Or maybe it's only simple if you believe it is...
Alyssa Gudenburr
A super funny book about is this horse a unicorn or not.
Cathy Mealey
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Candlewick preview - review TBA
Edward Sullivan
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Believing may make it so.
Lori
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Will LOVE using this for inference in early grades!
Kelly
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I see the story's appeal to children. It is fun.
Karrie Chajkowski
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The super fun tone within the story makes it a great read aloud with the unicorn lover in your life.
Stacy
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the illustrations where the "horses" could be a unicorn. Also, the lizard who could be a dragon at the end of the book.
Liz Handler
Is it a unicorn in a hat hiding his horn, or is a horse trying to hide a bad mane day? You choose!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bethanie Deeney Murguia earned an MFA in Illustration from the School of Visual Arts. Bethanie lives with her family and her forty pound lap dog, Thunder, in Sausalito, CA. She is the creator of numerous picture books, including Zoe Gets Ready, Cockatoo, Too, and The Too-Scary Story.