Start by marking “Fergus and Zeke at the Science Fair” as Want to Read:
Fergus and Zeke at the Science Fair

Fergus and Zeke at the Science Fair

Charming classroom pets invert expectations with a clever science project that puts a student through her paces.

Fergus and Zeke love being the class pets in Miss Maxwell's classroom, and they do everything the students do -- listening at storytime, painting masterpieces during art class, and keeping their own special journals. But when it's time for the school science fair
Published September 18th 2018 by Candlewick Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about Fergus and Zeke at the Science Fair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fergus and Zeke at the Science Fair

Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
This was a very cute book and I really enjoyed it. The illustrations are adorable and the story was entertaining and gave a nice little message. The book has 4 chapters and it is less then 50 pages, so I think it is the perfect length for early elementary age kids who are just starting to read short chapter books. I really liked the story and the inclusion of the animals made it a really fun book.

Thank you to the publisher, Candlewick Press, for sending me a review copy of this book.
Heidi
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fergus and Zeke enjoy being classroom pets. They like being able to learn right along with the children. But when the science fair comes along, they want to participate, but aren't sure how they can. All the other children's projects don't really work for them. Until Lucy decides to train the mice to run a maze. Fergus and Zeke decide that the best way for them to participate is to train Lucy. But children don't seem to be very easy to train, and there isn't much time left. Can they get Lucy tra ...more
Becky B
The classroom is getting ready for the science fair and Fergus and Zeke want to have their own project. Everything they try fails. But then Lucy starts using them for her maze project, and the mice decide to use Lucy for their project. Can the two mice get Lucy trained in time for the fair?

Fergus and Zeke set up a great learned behavior experiment, though little readers will have no clue what that is. (Though you could easily explain it using this book.) I found it funny that they flipped the ex
Nadine Keels
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'll admit I didn't realize how "young" a children's book this was when it caught my attention, but that's okay.

It's a delightful story. Four easy chapters, the idea of coming up with ideas, cooperating with friends, learning by experimentation, and a couple moments of humor where I honest-to-goodness laughed out loud.

Plus, as a bonus, the pages of the hardback have that "falling in love with reading early" scent. I'd certainly read this with or pass it on to a child.
___________
I received a comp
Lindsay
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This installment of Fergus and Zeke brings the return of the two mice who met on a school field trip. Now, they are classroom pets during science fair. The technical vocabulary that goes with the experiments ("erosion demonstration") may be challenging for some readers, though the colorful pencil illustrations provide useful context.

The gem of the story is how Fergus and Zeke manage to run their own experiment in classical conditioning.

A solid selection for readers almost ready for chapter boo
Pam
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lower-elem
Fergus and Zeke are back and still happy to be the class pets. Everyone is getting ready for the Science Fair but they can't think of an experiment. They try several but they don't work out - they eat the seeds; they miss with the water (erosion test).
Lucy builds a maze and wants them to run it. They do so right away and receive their treats. They decide to conduct their own experiment and won't run unless Lucy is cheering. She figures it out and they all have successful experiments.
2nd - 3rd gr
Fergus and Zeke want to be part of the upcoming science fair, but are struggling to find a project that suits them. When Lucy decides to train them to run through a maze, they decide to train her to cheer for them.
Julie Kirchner
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really love this series. It is a fantastic book for kids who are beginning to get more confidence in their reading skills, but may not be ready for a long text. I can see fans of Charlie and Mouse loving this series.
Brenda
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
It will make kids smile to think of how the mice trained the students at the science fair, and not the other way around.
Susan Lubner
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Very cute early chapter book about students participating in the class science fair and two clever classroom mice who come up with a project of their own.
Laura Molinario
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Picture Book
Mary Lee
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love how the mice train the girl!!
Margaret Boling
1/23/2019 ~ I loved the team work of the two mice. I also appreciated the flip as the mice wanted to DO and experiment rather than BE an experiment.

Perfect for readers transitioning from the Early Reader format (less than 40 pages, 2-6 lines per page) to Junior Fiction format (appx. 5000 words, 18 pt font, illus on every page). This could also work as a very short chapter book read aloud with primary and early intermediate teachers who are setting their students up for successful science fair p
Quintina
Shelves: 2018
Funny.
Michele Knott
Sep 09, 2018
Kate Messner is an award-winning author, TED 2012 speaker, and former middle school English teacher. Her books for kids include THE BRILLIANT FALL OF GIANNA Z.,SUGAR AND ICE, and EYE OF THE STORM (Walker/Bloomsbury Dec. 2010) the MARTY MCGUIRE series (Scholastic), SEA MONSTER'S FIRST DAY, and OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW (Chronicle, Books). Kate also wrote SPITFIRE and CHAMPLAIN AND THE SILENT ONE, bot ...more