Start by marking “Defying Him” as Want to Read:
Defying Him

Defying Him

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  233 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Defying his command could be deadly.

Lieutenant Colonel Michael Lawson will accept no defiance…even from a
Published (first published February 25th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Defying Him, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defying Him

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)

description~WRITING - PLOT - PACE~
I must say I am enjoying the books this author has been putting out. They are quick super sexy reads. The writing in this one was very well done. The pace was perfect. Like I mentioned it is a fairly quick read, but the story was quite well developed despite the short number of pages. The plot was engaging and kept me turning the pages. The mystery aspect was OK. I figured out who the baddie was right from the start but that didn't take away any of my enjoyment. Last, it
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
 photo 50411-cr2bbanner_zps86lvlhpr.jpg

🌟🌟🌟🌟STARS
ARC-BOOK REVIEW
Release Date-27/2/18.

So Zoe Blake Is fast becoming a go-to author for me.
Her reads may be quick but I find they deliver every time.
And Defying Him for me was no different.
So this book has a little bit of everything and though low on angst and lacking major secondary characters it still packed a mega punch.
The mystery and atmospheric unease throughout more than making up for the short length here and I really did enjoy this tale.
So Phoebe is an investigative journalist w
⭐ Emerson ⭐
Free on Amazon!
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Steamy, erotic and spellbinding, Ms. Blake delivers a tightly written tale with engaging characters. Full disclosure, I did not read the blurb. Since I am familiar with this author's writing, I went in cold. I enjoy it better not knowing what is going on. This book starts out with a heart pumping scene with filled with danger. I thought at first, Phoebe Wilson was a ninny of a female running and hiding from her stalker. I was so wrong. As the story unfolds, Ms. Blake takes us on a suspense ride ...more
Konny
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Defying Him by Zoe Blake is a full length, stand alone romance novel.
Meet Phoebe Wilson. Shes a journalist and investigates who terrorizes the military academy of Buzzards Bay.
Michael Lawson, Lieutenant Colonel with a dark deep voice ll never accept defiance. The harder Phoebe fights him, the more determined he becomes to bend her to his will. Fore- and backwards.
Michael is atypical alpha male, rude, blunt and crude.
The story is well written and contains many twists and unexpected turns. I enjoy
Bookgasms Book Blog
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ratula
Defying him was a quick and sexy story with an underlying suspense/mystery theme. I enjoyed Michael and Phoebe's spirited banter, fiery chemistry and back and forth push and pull.

When a murder takes place at an elite naval academy school investigative reporter Phoebe Wilson goes undercover to get the story. But what happens when she makes a connection with the dominant and sexy Lieutenant Colonel Michael Lawson and he becomes suspicious of her true intentions.

I love that Phoebe gave as good as s
Danielle Harris
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again this author delivers another fantastic thriller that is also a very steamy read! I'm so grateful that I got to read this book early. I always look forward to read what Zoe comes up with next. I highly recommend this author.

This is short story about Phoebe, and Michael. The chemistry between the characters are so hot! Michael is definitely an alpha male. I was totally swooning over his dominance.
Lisa Roberts
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whoa this was a page turner and a sexy romantic thriller with a sassy investigator who does nothing shes told and puts herself under cover in dangerous situations to get the story until she meets Micheal a Marine at the academy the COMMANDER in all thing and is Alpha in every single way. I loved how the story kept you guessing putting all the clues together and the history of the academy you never knew what was going to happen until it happened. Loved it. I voluntarily read a readers copy of thi ...more
Nicole Studioso
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding dark romance with mystery and chills! Loved the main male character Lt. Colonel Michael Lawson, aka the Commander.. He's so perfectly alpha, bossy, sexy, protective, and maddeningly arrogant! Phoebe is awesome, she's fiesty, smart, modern, and unshakable. She's out to track down and uncover a murderer, and heaven help Michael if he gets in her way, even if he needs to tie her down to save her from herself!
Sheena
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Engaging and intriguing,,,

Wow..the opening chapter of this book was about as menacing and creepy as a murder mystery can be....I was immediately drawn into the plot....

Phoebe and Michael are convincing and interesting main characters....their sexual attraction to each other is instantaneous and as the plot develops so does their hot, passionate affair...he is all alpha; demanding obedience from a very smart, independant and sassy young woman..the sparks were destined to fly right from the start.
April Symes
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Zoey Blake has done it again and delivered another solid suspenseful read that is also a sizzling romance. The chemistry between Michael and Phoebe is intense, delightful and darkly romantic. I found myself re-reading this romantic suspense read.
When a murder takes place at an elite naval academy school , reporter Phoebe Wilson is sent undercover to get the scoop on whats going on and to see what the Navy is hiding. But will she be able to get past the dominant and hot Lieutenant Colonel Michae
Rahmayanti
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast pace. Easy to read. Sexy with dash of suspense and action. Super sexy with too hot marine officer!
Didn't read the blurb for this book, i was super excited to read this book, i read it in one sitting.
A reporter, investigation journalist, Phoebe land on a murder case in a naval academy. Going undercover as a professor, she didn't just find a new case. She meet the commander.
Michael is a man use to man following his orders. He is the commander. And when this suspicious looking too gorgeus su
Toni Paul
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fast read with suspence, mystery, steamy sex, and a happy ending. The story line was very good. My only poblem is things moved too quickly and I felt like the story could have been stretched out a bit. Still a very good read
Kathy Heare Watts
OH, BABY, I’M A MARINE. WE DON’T DO—NICE.

Once again, the talented wordsmith, Ms. Zoe Blake, has spun a tale that takes us, her readers, on a spine-tingling murder mystery with a three hundred and fifty-year-old legend that has come to life in present day. The story has mystery, suspense, murder, superstitions, legends, terror, angst, secrets, and yes, a romance that is down and dirty, hot and heavy, with raw, edgy panty ripping passion. He may be an officer, but don’t mistake him for a gentleman
Renee
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the publisher/author to review.

Defying his command could be deadly. Someone or something is terrorizing the military academy at Buzzards Bay. Investigative journalist Phoebe Wilson is determined to get to the bottom of it, and the last thing she is going to do is let some domineering Marine and his forceful attraction stand in her way. Lieutenant Colonel Michael Lawson will accept no defiance...even from a beautiful, meddling, female. The harder Phoebe fights
Louise
***I would rate this book 4 on Amazon***
I have a feeling that my definition of dark is much darker than others. There is no dubious or non-consent in this book, nor is the hero an anti-hero, dangerous or in any way truly threatening. Michael is one super sexy, alpha male but if Phoebe had ever said 'no' he would have respected that.

I enjoyed Phoebe and Michael's story, this is a well written romantic suspense with an engaging plot. The pace was good and held my attention throughout the book
Marishka
I picked this one up because its short and tomorrow is release day. I have read another book by this author and I didn't like it. So I was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed this. I liked the first half*ish part better - that part I couldn't put it down. The second half wasn't as quite as good for me. I loved Michael he was freaking hot! Even with his stupid ass mistake at the end.... Who would do that in that situation?

As for the warning on this book in the description:
Warning: This bo
Hart's Reader Group
Yes, yes, f**king yes! FINALLY, Zoe, you delivered the story I wanted to read.

Michael was the perfect mix of sexy as hell Marine, possessive as hell alpha, and demanding commander--in and out of the "bedroom"--not that they had sex in the bedroom all that often.

Phoebe was intelligent, ballsy, and wasn't all wishy-washy like some of the Zoe Blake characters I've read before.

I also enjoyed the suspense in this one; it added depth to the story, which only made the emotion and attraction between the
Pam
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is a dark and mysterious book with some hot romance in between. Investigative journalist Phoebe Wilson loves her job and she is determined to get to the bottom of the murders at the military college in Buzzards Bay. She goes undercover as an assistant English professor to get more information on the murders. She encounters Lieutenant Colonel Michael Lawson the new head master and there is an instant attraction. Michael is a dominating person and the m
Brittany Alexander
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This book was more than romance. It was definitely suspenseful and I loved it! I couldn't put this book down and often found myself talking to Phoebe, saying "Girl, that's not a smart idea..."

By not listening to the sexy man in a Marine's uniform... that's how people get killed. And that's not a spoiler, I promise. That's just in general.

The sex was smoking. HOT. The chemistry between Phoebe and Commander Lieutenant Colonel Michael (I've forgotten the last name) is palpable. Such a great conn
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this read. It’s definitely a one sitting read.

Investigative journalist Phoebe Wilson finds herself undercover at a military academy after two women were murdered. Lieutenant Colonel Michael Lawson is sent into the academy to see if he can find the murderer. There’s only one obstacle in his way...the gorgeous feisty Phoebe.

This has a great storyline. I absolutely loved every word of it. The hot scenes were oh so hot. These two characters were fabulous together. Awesome read.
Cee Cee Houston
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Defying Him was my first book by author Zoe Blake, this sexy story was a quick and exciting read with tons of sexual chemistry and witty banter from both the main characters. There’s a hint of suspense thrown in for good measure to and makes the story quite enthralling.
I loved the back and forth between Phoebe and Michael, allowing both to show their true depths. Phoebe wasn’t scared to stand up to Michael, she didn’t let him intimidate her and that just made her more attractive to him.
Hot, sex
Badh
Zoe Blake has written some really hot and steamy romance reads. This is just another one in her large repertoire. But this one has something different. She has added in a suspenseful murder mystery on top of her normal hot and steamy sexy, sexy stuff. It makes for an incredibly hot, twisted, and thrilling ride.

Puller Academy has had 2 young women who have been ritually murdered. Journalist Phoebe Wilson's boss asks her to go undercover at the academy because he thinks that the Navy is hiding so
♥️Fantasy Land Blog Book Reviewer♥️
As usual, Zoe brings a great book to life. The commander Michael is a hot alpha male that makes you fall for him from the very first page he is on.

Phoebe is a journalist that is sent in undercover to try to find out who is killing women at the Academy but when she meets Michael the chemistry comes off the pages.

This story has mystery, suspense, secrets, scary moments, and finally romance. Really enjoyed it. I voluntarily read an advance reader copy for my honest review.
Cindy Hughes
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved It!

Defying Him is a great suspenseful thriller!
Phoebe is an investigative reporter who is goes undercover as a teacher at Puller Military Academy to fine out who is murdering women!
Michael is the Commander of the Academy.
I loved the banter between Phoebe and Michael! She gives as good as she gets!
He believes she is hiding something from him and he’s going to find out what !
Zoe has written a great hot and steamy thrilling book!
I loved it!
Alyssa

This was a pretty solid erotic read with a suspense story line. Honestly, I really think this should've been full-length.

It had a good plot line and the MCs had off-the-charts chemistry. But since it was a good read, nothing really dug it's heels in and a lot of development was sacrificed and the love happened in a blink.

Still a quick and hot read though.
Doreen Frantz
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this read…loved that it had the mystery/suspense, as well as an HEA. Another success by Zoe Blake!
Lynn Thinking out loud
I loved Defying Him. It's mysterious and suspenseful. When a commanding Lieutenant Colonel from the marines and a investigative reporter come together in a battle of wills, you know it's going to get really really hot.
Grab your fans and ice water ladies you will need then.
I voluntarily read an advanced copy of this book.
Ratula
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Pam
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Murder, mayhem, dominance, submission, and dark deliciousness! Zoe Blake is perfection!

Mysterious deaths at a military academy? "Satanic" symbols carved into the victims' bodies? A journalist's dream story, right? Phoebe Wilson's not so sure. A renowned investigative reporter at the New York Ledger, danger's no stranger to Phoebe. Mob bosses, political malfeasance, and medical malpractice? No problem. A murder story at the Puller Academy? That's something altogether different. Her first question
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
USA Today and International Bestselling Author in dark romance.

We are all attracted to the forbidden. Addicted to the rush we get from reading something naughty...something kinky. We love to lose ourselves in the fantasy. The powerful lord who sweeps the lady away to his remote estate to ravish her. The cowboy who takes the sassy city girl over his knee to teach her a lesson. The devilishly charm

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99