Start by marking “One Day in December” as Want to Read:
One Day in December

One Day in December

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  128,442 ratings  ·  13,790 reviews
Two people. Ten chances. One unforgettable love story.

Laurie is pretty sure love at first sight doesn't exist anywhere but the movies. But then, through a misted-up bus window one snowy December day, she sees a man who she knows instantly is the one. Their eyes meet, there's a moment of pure magic... and then her bus drives away.

Certain they're fated to find each other aga
Published October 16th 2018 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about One Day in December, please sign up.
Lola I would go even lower than mild and say almost non-existent.
Georgia In some ways, it's sort of a love quadrangle even.

·  128,442 ratings  ·  13,790 reviews

Start your review of One Day in December
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
3.5 stars. There were things I really loved about this, but also things I really hated and I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL. I thoroughly enjoyed this one but it definitely made me feel a little icky and I don't know what to do with that information lmao. I was rooting for the protagonists but I felt like I shouldn't have been. Also the love interest was kind of a shit for most of this? IDK MAN IDK. It was fun but I FEEL WEIRD OKAY BYE
Nick
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

You can buy the book here!

5 stars

One Day in December is an epic story centered around three people Laurie, Sarah and Jack.

It all start on a December day.
Laurie doesn't believe in first sight love.
She sees a man through the bus window.
She believes now.

She searches for him, every now and then.
She thinks is sure he is the one for her
emma
me reading that this is a love story about missed opportunities:

me reading the words "best friend's boyfriend":

me for the rest of the book:

basically this was a Meh read for me. it was very long, and very slow, and there was a lot of drama in a kind of suburban-gossip there's-nothing-else-to-talk-about way that did not at all translate to an interesting-book way.

i think for stories like these, you gotta like the characters or it's going to be a 400-page trip to Boring City, USA. and unfortunatel
BernLuvsBooks
Can a fated glance across a misty bus window = TRUE LOVE?

One Day in December is the kind of book that will touch your heart and make you believe in love. The kind of heartwarming love that is meant to be against all odds. The kind of love that leaves you smiling just reading about it. I opened the book and found myself immersed in Laurie and Jack's story. It was exactly what I needed. An addictive, unputdownable, angsty love story that filled my heart with a solid dose of romance.

The st
Bianca
Have I read the same book as everyone else?
Girl, Laurie, is on a bus. She looks out the window and notices a guy sitting in a bus shelter absorbed in a hardcover book. He lifts his head and sees the girl staring at him. Their eyes meet. They communicate wordlessly …

I am on page 7 and I'm already grumbling. Not about the insta-love, although, really? Not even about the irritating first-person narration, which somehow I find irksome mostly in romance novels. I would just like to know how is it p
Debra
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Laurie sees a man outside of her bus window one day. There are no words, no actions, only intense eye contact but that is enough to make her fall head over heels in love with a stranger. She years for him, she can't stop thinking about him, she dreams of the time they will meet again. Then one day her best friend and roommate, Sarah, introduces her new boyfriend, Jack, to Laurie. Sarah is anxious for Jack and Laurie to meet. She hopes they will hit it off - if only she knew that her boyfriend is ...more
Susanne  Strong
5 Heartfelt, Love-Sick Stars!

What happens when see him? It’s love at first sight, and then your best friend meets him in person and she gets the guy?

For Laurie, there is a moment. Just one. Perhaps it is Kismet or maybe it's Destiny. She sees him at the bus stop. Laurie is inside, he is waiting outside, he looks up at the exact moment she does, their eyes meet and hold and she knows. He is the one.

For a year, she looks for him everywhere, but never finds him. Her crush goes unrequited. Her bes
Meredith
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
Heartwarming!

One Day in December is a sweet story about friendship, romance, and true love.

The plot centers around a romance that could have been but was not. Instead, wrong matches are made, friendships are put to the test, and the notion of true love is tested. This is the story of Laurie, Sarah, and Jack.

Told through Laurie and Jack’s alternating POV’s, the reader learns over the course of time of what was not but what should have been. Will true love prevail or will one be left heartbr
Paromjit
Josie Silver writes a romantic comedy that is absolutely going to be a big hit, with characters that tug at your heartstrings and packed with laugh out loud humour. It is perfect escapist fare that begins and ends in the festive season. It's December, Laurie doesn't believe in soul mates, but with her hair covered in tinsel, she is at a bus stop in London on a crowded bus heading to her parents home in Birmingham for Christmas. Through the misted window, she sees him outside and deep inside her ...more
jessica
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
this is a tricky book for me to rate and review.

my immediate reaction is that i enjoyed it - hence the 4 stars. i must be a glutton for heartache, because ‘missed chances at love’ is a romance trope i quite enjoy (ie. one day and november 9), even though it breaks my heart at times. there is just something so rewarding about seeing two people finally find their way to each other after many years of fighting for it and this book is a perfect example of that. i especially loved seeing the charact
Christina - Traveling Sister
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
4, 🎶 do you believe in love 🎶 stars!!!

Full review featured on my blog Recipe & a Read!

It all begins one day in December (I know, shocker, you had no idea). We start our story with Laurie, she doesn't believe in love at first sight, she's having a normal run of the mill day, then BOOM she sees a man outside her bus window. As their eyes meet, she feels an instant connection. Laurie's brain shorts out and she does nothing as the bus pulls away, she then runs through endless possibilities of what
Berit☀️✨
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOOOVED IT!!! Every page, every sentence, every word, every letter!!!

In case you cannot tell I have fallen head over heels in love with this book! It has earned a place on my fave shelf and is absolutely one of my top five reeds of 2018... such a beautiful story, so full of love and heart.... this is an epic love story spanning an entire decade... a story with all the feels, you will laugh, you will cry, you will smile, you will shake your head, you will fall in love... this book will break your
KAS
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Mesmerizing & Memorable!! Stars

...I need to get off this bus. I’m gripped by the overwhelming urge to go outside, to get to him. ... I’ve just fallen hopelessly in love with a stranger at a bus stop.

Well folks, it just gets juicier and more captivating with each passing chapter ;)

Of course, I went in blind! Of course, it was the best way to go! Of course, I recommend you doing the same! Of course, I am convinced you will love it as much as I did!!

I would describe this story as sophisticat
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”We stare straight at each other and I can’t look away. I feel my lips move as if I’m going to say something, God knows what, and all of a sudden and out of nowhere I need to get off this bus. I’m gripped by the overwhelming urge to go outside, to get to him. But I don’t.”

Every once in a while there comes a book I don’t want to write about. Not because it wasn’t good (quite the contrary) but because reading it was such a unique and amazing experience that I don’t want to spoil anything for anyon
Kaceey
Do you believe in love at first sight?

A chance encounter at a bus stop. Laurie, day-dreaming, gazes out the bus window and suddenly locks eyes with the boy sitting on a bench. One quick glance is all it takes. Young love is off and running! Is it magic? Is it kismet?

But the bus has a schedule to keep, and before either one can do anything, it pulls away.

Laurie, unable to let go of that single moment, spends the next year searching for her bus-boy. So… you just have to believe it’s more than co
~Poppy~
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Samantha
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2019
I’ve stayed up until midnight on a weeknight to finish this book. It was the perfect emotional, real Christmas romance that I wanted. This won’t be for everyone. It has a fair share of angst and some romance tropes that don’t land for everyone. But sometimes life is a bit messy and this depicted that fact so well. I will be doing a full review (and possibly a gush?!?) on my channel.
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
Smashing, engrossing & devouring!

Wow! I absolutely LOVED this book! Laurie, Sarah & Jack were great characters!

Random amusing line:
“I squint, trying to duck my head to see what he’s reading ....”

Oh my, I think all of us book lovers can relate to that sentence. I know that I have done that very same thing so many times!

ONE DAY IN DECEMBER by JOSIE SILVER is a fabulous, brilliant, heartwarming and delightful story that completely stole my heart and consumed my thoughts. It took me less than 24 hou
Kendall
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
2018 has been an amazing year of talent for new releases and I can proudly say that this little beauty sits proudly on that shelf!

Oh my goodness Josie Silver you have my heart with how beautifully your words and talent is expressed across these pages of One Day in December.

This book was NOTHING that I expected. What a beautiful and powerful tale of love, loss, friendship, and how love can span across a lifetime.

One beautiful wintery day Laurie is on the bus and she happens to look out her win
Brenda -Traveling Sister
Reading One Day in December is a like a getting a warm hug on a chilly winter day. It warmed our hearts and left us feeling like we just experienced something very special.

I have been talking about a few books I have read lately that have not been my normal and One Day in December was definitely one of them. This sister does not have a romantic bone in her. My poor husband.

One Day in December is warm, captivating, unforgettable and quirky love story not only between couples but within a friends
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Five stars to this treasure of a book and five stars to the unforgettable experience of reading it! 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

I’m honored and humbled that Goodreads selected me to receive a book club kit and set of copies of One Day in December, graciously provided by the publisher, Broadway Books and Crown Publishing. I was fortunate to have local friends and online friends join me for this heartwarming read, the perfect story to enjoy this time of year, and quite uplifting in the end.

It’s close to the holiday
Larry H
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a scene from one of the hopelessly romantic movies she loves: one late afternoon just before Christmas, Laurie is packed sardine-like onto a double-decker bus, when through a misty window she spots a handsome man. Some mystical force tells her that he is the one, and when their eyes meet, it's like they both know this to be true. But before Laurie can move or the man can try to board the bus and hopefully sweep her off her feet, the bus drives away.

Even though she's almost certain that "B
megs_bookrack
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, thank you to my TBR Jar for selecting this bloody brilliant book for me!

I do not consider myself a serious romance reader and it wouldn't be a stretch to say I opened this one up with a fair amount of trepidation.

I actually believe one of my comments upon starting was that I thought chances were 50/50 that I would DNF it. That thought now seems utterly ridiculous!

I am floored by how much I loved this story.

The humor was perfect for me. I loved the pace and I fully appreciated how it wa
JanB
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

This book is all about fate, timing, and star-crossed love, told with a side of humor and a lot of heart. You’re not a romance reader? Neither am I! But this book melted my non-romance reading heart into a puddle.

In short, I loved it. It turned out to be so much more than I expected. I loved the characters of Laurie, Sarah, and Jack. I also enjoyed how the author explored the friendship between Laurie and Sarah, best friends for life, through thick and thin.

We follow these three throug
Lucie
Grab a cup of tea, a cozy blanket, and THIS book.

I've read so many books lately about crazy people and missing people and abused people that this was a very welcomed change. This is an extremely engaging story about a love-at-first-sight scenario, set during the Christmas holidays (nine Christmases actually), but it can definitely be read any time of the year. I was fortunate enough to read it during the wintertime, which was glorious with all the atmospheric descriptions of London during the ho
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4 stars!

Charming. Witty. Endearing. Refreshing. Heartwarming.

I do not generally read romance, but when Brenda and Norma offered the Traveling Sisters the opportunity to read this title, I thought I would take a chance and try it out. I am SO GLAD I did! This is not your typical love story.

This novel follows Laurie who believes she has found “the one” when she happens to look through the window of the bus she is on and makes magical eye contact with a handsome stranger. She doesn’t believe in l
Whitney Atkinson
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is what a Lifetime Movie would be if Lifetime Movies weren't full of generic characters and dialogue. The plot was heartwarming and predictable, but the people in it had a lot more life to it than your run of the mill storyline. Thankfully, the angst and witty narration kept me going during this book where there was a distinct absence of any smut or sexiness, and I did end up teary by the end. Still, it wasn't a new favorite of the year, but it was a nice enough Christmassy read.

I wil
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
Properly kitschy and feel-good. I totally should have read this one for Christmas.
Q:
We stare straight at each other and I can’t look away. I feel my lips move as if I’m going to say something, God knows what, and all of a sudden and out of nowhere I need to get off this bus. I’m gripped by the overwhelming urge to go out.side, to get to him. ...
Call it wishful thinking, but I’m sure I see the same thunderbolt hit him too; as if an invisible fork of lightning has inexplicably joined us together.
Brandice
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unputdownable! Yes, this book is that good! I read One Day in December over the course of one day, here in December. I liked the story right away and just couldn’t stop reading it.

Laurie takes the bus home one evening in 2008 and locks eyes with a guy through the window who’s a total babe. He isn’t able to get on the bus before it pulls away. Devastated, Laurie spends the next year hunting throughout London for him, with no luck. She does end up meeting him again though, when her best friend, S
Kate
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
WOW, I'm shocked that this book has been rated so highly...

I really hope young impressionable women do not read this book. This is exactly the type of clichéd romance novel I used to fill my head with as a teenager that convinced me that true love is pursuing a bad boy who has lukewarm feelings for you and treats you like crap. But hey, he's really hot and it's love at first sight, so it's all good! /s

I really wanted to love this book! I heard it described as similar to Bridget Jones, which is
Bookworm Bitches : December 2019: One Day in December 8 65 Dec 20, 2019 12:49PM

• The Proposal (The Wedding Date, #2)
  • Daisy Jones & The Six
  • I Owe You One
  • Whisper Network
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Ask Again, Yes
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1)
  • The Wedding Date (The Wedding Date, #1)
Josie Silver is an unashamed romantic who met her husband when she stepped on his foot on his twenty-first birthday. She lives with him, her two young sons, and their cats in a little midlands town in England.

Articles featuring this book

“You tread lightly through life, but you leave deep footprints that are hard for other people to fill.” 91 likes
“Sometimes you just meet the right person at the wrong time,” 30 likes