Start by marking “Mia Moves Out” as Want to Read:
Mia Moves Out

Mia Moves Out

A sweet sibling story about one fed-up big sister who wants to find a space of her own, perfect for fans of Ashley Spires's The Most Magnificent Thing.

Mia loved her big, bright room . . . until she had to share it with her new brother. With Brandon's toys, books, and even underwear taking up space, Mia has finally had it. "I'm moving out!" There are lots of new and interes
Published October 16th 2018 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mia Moves Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mia Moves Out

Jess
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
March 2019 - a slight story with a lot of charming elements. The main character is adopted, but it's not a story about adoption. She gets a new brother, but their shared rooms becomes too crowded. She displays great imagination in finding new spaces for herself. Ben loves her solution of a blanket tent in the yard, and wants to have his own when Eleanor is old enough to play with him.
Joana Pastro
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely adorable! Miranda Paul does a great job subtly tackling adoption, and showing in a relatable way the ups and downs of sibling relationships and the need to find one’s own space in the house, in a family, in life! It pulled on my heartstrings from beginning to end. A must read!
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was excited and nervous about receiving an advanced copy of Mia Moves Out by Miranda Paul and illustrated by Paige Keiser. Excited to be able to write the review, nervous that I might not like it. I had nothing to be nervous about.
Mia Moves Out is at its heart a story about a little girl who shares a room with her little brother. One day his clutter and mess become too much, and she moves out in search of her own space with her own things. In the end, she realizes that something is missing.
The
Tasha
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When Mia moved into her house, she had a lovely room all to herself. She hung stars from the ceiling and it was perfect. Then her baby brother Brandon arrived, and Mia had to share her room. At first it wasn’t so bad, they had lots of fun together. But the toys piled up until Mia couldn’t even recognize her room anymore. So she made a decision, she would move out! She tried moving into the bathroom, but it was too gross. She tried the basement, but there were scary things in boxes. She tried all ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Mia Moves Out by Miranda Paul, illustrated by Paige Keiser. PICTURE BOOK. Alfred A. Knopf (Random House), 2018. $17. 9780399553325.

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Mia initially enjoys sharing a bedroom with her little brother, Brandon, but changes her mind as toys and clothes and general mess accumulate. She announces she is moving out and goes on a search for another perfect place--the bathroom? the basement? a tent near the bookcase? All of the spots lack so
Carrie Finison
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mia Moves Out is a sweet sibling/family problem solving story for young children. I really like stories that focus on true-to-life sibling problems and are very relatable to kids. No one flies to the moon or converses with unicorns. Don't get me wrong, those kinds of larger-than-life stories are wonderful, too. But sometimes I think there's a shortage of picture books about real kids living in real families solving real-world problems. As a parent, I felt that Miranda Paul captured perfectly tha ...more
Barbara
I'm sure that many youngsters and their parents will be able to relate to the situation described in this picture book. Mia has the best room in the house, and when her little brother Brandon is born, she doesn't mind sharing the space at first. But as things get increasingly crowded and noisier, Mia begins to crave a space of her own. she decides to move out--of the room--and tries various spaces in the house, but nothing seems to work. When she eventually finds a place that works--a little she ...more
Julie Hedlund
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ah, sibling rivalry. Many books on the subject, but none quite like this one. What I love is that it shows the full spectrum of emotions a child experiences when they suddenly have to share their homes, lives, and hearts with someone new. From love at first sight, to frustration, to acting out, to circling back to love -- this story has it all. It's not just about a child wanting her own space (which is certainly relatable to ME). It's a child trying to determine where she belongs. Along the way ...more
Laura Bower
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mia Moves Out is a heartwarming (and humorous) story that is extremely relatable for kids (sharing a room is a big deal!). When her baby brother arrives, Mia is forced to share her space. As her brother grows, the room becomes messier and messier until Mia can't take it anymore and moves out! The book has many sweet moments and funny ones as well (love when she moves into the bathroom and her mom asks her for wart remover!). I enjoyed each page of the book (including the adorable illustrations), ...more
Tara Hannon
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mia Moves Out is a sweet book about a little girl working through the changes of her new adopted brother's arrival. In her search to find a space of her own, she learns that sometimes the best place is one that you share with someone you love. I really appreciate how Paul includes the topic of adoption without making this book about adoption - she is always great at that. And I liked that Mia worked through her issues herself. Go Mia! There are some really silly moments (like when she moves into ...more
Ledys
Shelves: read-in-2018
I loved “Mia Moves Out!” Being a parent to sisters who share a room, I could see so many of the challenges that come with not having one’s own space and trying to figure out where one belongs reflected in the pages of this sweet book. Mia’s problem is one that so many children can relate to! But she’s not one to sit and do nothing—her attempts at solving her dilemma are hilarious and escalate until only one solution is obvious. But right before the end, Mia has to deal with an unexpected twist, ...more
Kathy
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
MIA MOVES OUT by Miranda Paul is a story about love, emotion, siblings, and adoption (approached in a subtle way and with an older child, to0) Mia is the one and only until brother Brandon is born. Mia goes through a range of emotions that will have kids nodding their heads knowingly: excitement, aggravation, determination, unsettled feelings, inspiration, regret and finally inspiration, and love.

The refrains are fun, the parallel structure masterful, and picture book writers will find this a p
Sarita
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book about finding your place in the world and making space for family. When Mia's little brother arrives at first it's wonderful but over time sharing a room becomes too much for Mia. She looks for another place each plagued with humorous problems— spiders, too crowded, dark and scary until she finds the perfect spot. Was really moved by the gentle treatment of adoption where it's not the main focus simply a subtly stated part of Mia's life. A lovely story arc with her brother and c ...more
Susan
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got to see a preview reading shared by the author online with a group of authors. As a big sister myself, I totally understand Mia's frustration about having to share with a baby brother (and maybe also losing of the adults' attention). Mia's parents are hands-off as she "moves" to a variety of other spaces around the house until ultimately finding her place and learning to share. Miranda Paul's text is humorous and non-preachy, while Paige Keiser's illustrations are delightful, colorful and a ...more
Barbara Rappaport senenman
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet story about sibling relationships and finding your place in your family. Mia is adopted or a foster child. She has her own room until a baby brother comes and she has to share. She's okay with it until baby grows a little. Now the room isn't so perfect anymore. This is a story children could identify with. The illustrations promote predictions, discussions, and giggles as Mia searches for a spot to call her own. It's a fun read.
Melissa
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just saw a sneak preview of this book, and it was absolutely lovely. I especially appreciate that it's a story about an adopted child, but the adoption isn't at the center of the story. Instead it's a story about needing space and finding a way to get along with a sibling. A simple but powerful treatment of an evergreen topic.
Cynthia Mackey
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Children and adults will love this heartwarming story! Mia is a determined child who wants a place of her own. Sharing a room with a sibling isn't easy. In the process of finding a place of her own, Mia also finds new value in having a sibling. Mia is a genuine, likeable character who expresses real emotions.
Ali
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book brought back wonderful memories of my childhood sharing a bedroom with my little sister. At first it was double the fun. Then it was double the mess to cleanup too. This story shows children how we all need a place of our own. Sometimes that can be a lonely place. I love the illustrations too.
Sheri
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ugh! sharing a room is so hard and everyone needs their own space. Mia finds many new spaces as she searches for her own room not shared with anyone. Read along with Mia as she finds new spaces and discover the ending and what she finally settles on for her own space. Character driven story and you can predict where she will go next. Love this fun new book.
Read  Ribbet
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This book focuses the difficulties of sharing space with others especially a new sibling. Mia looks for a new space when sharing her room with brother Brandon becomes too much. She tries some new options within the house and even reads some books to get other ideas. In the end the new space needs something -- the same human contact she was trying to get away from!
Aolund
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
While slightly jumpy or disjointed, this story subtly and effectively tackles the topics of sibling rivalry, shared space, and adoption without being ABOUT any of these precisely, centering instead on the idea of finding a space of one's own, being flexible, and recognizing that sharing is ultimately better than being alone. Sweet.
Tracy J Hora
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A different spin on a new sibling book. Sweet little Mia (who was adopted or fostered and remembers coming home to her new room) declares she's moving out because her shared room has become a big mess once her brother comes along. She finds very creative places to move to... I LOVE that they are places a child can relate and maybe find their own place for some down time.
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a lovely story. Mia gets a new home - either through adoption or foster care - and loves her own big room. One day a baby boy is brought home, and she is excited, at first, to share her room. Gradually, things get more and more crowded and noisy, so she declares, "I'm moving out!" What follows is both funny and touching.
Great illustrations.
Jena
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is an adorable tale of the frustration of the main character sharing space with a sibling, having enough, and "moving out." Every child has experienced this feeling at some point. The journey and the resolution are wonderful (especially the cute little fox doll she takes along with her).
Julia Richardson
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mia, a little girl with a big personality, is fed up with sharing her room with her messy brother. She decides to move out--forever. But when she does, something is missing. A sweet story about learning to appreciate siblings and share.
Kirsti Call
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful story about a little girl who has to share her room with her little brother. All siblings struggle with too much mess or too little alone time and this story does an incredible job of showing that struggle and resolving the problem in a way that is realistic and darling.
Ellen Leventhal
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet sibling story with a twist. Whether within a traditional or non-traditional family, the arrival of a sibling can cause some angst. MIA MOVES OUT is a story filled with humor and heart. A must read.
Mindy.Yukselgmail.Com
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a heartwarming story about a little girl, Mia's adjustment to her new adoptive family and then an additional new arrival - a baby brother. Filled with lots of funny illustrations and clever twists, this story will be a favorite of siblings for years to come.
Suzie Olsen
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think the theme in this book is universal and lots of kids will relate to it. I really like the illustrations; they feel timeless. I do like this book, but it's not my favorite of the author's (my favorite Miranda Paul is Trainbots). Overall a good book that kids will like and relate to.
Jocelyn Hee
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story about the upsides and downsides of siblinghood especially sharing a bedroom. Mia wants her own space but learns in the end that her own space feels empty after all without a sibling to share it with. A wonderful read!
Miranda Paul has worked as a teacher, volunteer zookeeper, and freelance writer--among other things. She is passionate about creating stories for young readers that inspire, entertain, and broaden horizons. Miranda is also a thrill-seeker, and one of her bravest moments involved reciting poetry from inside a crocodile pit. (Yikes!)

In addition to being a picture book author, Miranda is a team membe