Start by marking “Starstruck: The Cosmic Journey of Neil Degrasse Tyson” as Want to Read:
Starstruck: The Cosmic Journey of Neil Degrasse Tyson

Starstruck: The Cosmic Journey of Neil Degrasse Tyson

A picture-book biography on science superstar Neil deGrasse Tyson, the groundbreaking American astrophysicist whose work has inspired a generation of young scientists and astronomers to reach for the stars! Perfect for STEM curricula and readers of all ages.

Young Neil deGrasse Tyson was starstruck when he first visited the sky theater at the Hayden Planetarium in New
Published October 9th 2018 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Starstruck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starstruck

Start your review of Starstruck: The Cosmic Journey of Neil Degrasse Tyson
Melki
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Krull traces Neil's wondous journey from his first exposure to the marvels of the universe courtesy of the Hayden Planetarium at age nine, to his role less than thirty years later as its director. Frank Morrison's artwork is delightful.

description

Don't miss this one!
Candice (Beachwood Schoolhouse)
A favorite read of ours for this month! How can you not love Neil deGrasse Tyson?! So my girls were psyched to see this at the library. It was great! It captured his enthusiasm and personality so well and it was great learning about how he got to where he is. We love listening to StarTalk and watching Cosmos and his YouTube videos.
Mary Ann
I especially appreciate the way this picture book biography conveys Tyson’s energy and enthusiasm for science and space. Morrison’s illustrations are terrific, making Tyson seem like such a relatable kid. I wish Krull had included more of Tyson’s own words and quotes in this, since he’s such a prolific writer.
Barbara
Many young readers will draw inspiration from this biography about the groundbreaking astrophysicists born in Manhattan. Clearly, his family did their best to nurture his interests in the stars, and their efforts paid off when he became director of the Hayden Planetarium. The lively text and illustrations make science even more interesting than it already is, and pay tribute to a man who is completely in love with the universe and all of its starry wonders. I felt as though I had the chance to ...more
Becky
First sentence: Our universe began its dance with what scientists call the Big Bang.

Premise/plot: This is a picture book biography of Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

My thoughts: I like this one. I don't love, love, love it. Perhaps because of all the big bang theory stuff at the very beginning. But his biography is interesting. I don't love the illustrations. I thought they were semi-realistic--somewhere between cartoonish and realistic. I would say the humans were drawn fun-house mirror style. This
Chris Hays
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A decent biography. I like the person and there were not any new factors or ah has for me. However, it would be a good introduction for students. I am not sure about the couple side notes that mention race as a factor in his life. Whether they were a factor or not, there should be added focus or they should have been left out. Instead is was like a footnote in the sentences....didn't really provide information or add to the dilemma.
Heidi Burkhart
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Krull and Brewer are on a roll! They just keep producing one top notch book after another. This picture book is a terrific biography, and at the same time is such an inspiration for kids to follow their dreams. Even though the target audience is probably elementary school I think that it would be enjoyable for older kids too.

This would be a valuable addition to a classroom library, and also a child's personal collection.
June
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: African American scientist biography requests
Recommended to June by: capitolchoices.org
Krull highlights Tyson's love of stars and space. She deals diplomaticly with racism, from having cops called while he viewed the night sky through his telescope from his roof at night to those that thought he should be a leader in the African American community instead of being a scientist.

(No mention of his being married and having children until the Author's Note.)
Tasha
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book rightfully starts with the Big Bang and then moves on to a young Neil Degrasse Tyson being inspired by the Hayden Planetarium. At age nine, Tyson was inspired to start investigating the stars and the universe around him. He began with binoculars and in a few years had his own telescope. He worked to get a better telescope and also started to build his library of science and astronomy books. In sixth grade, Tyson attended a class at the Hayden Planetarium, often one of the youngest ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Starstruck: The Cosmic Journey of Neil DeGrasse Tyson By Kathleen Krull and Illustrated byFrank Morrison. PICTURE BOOK. Crown (Random House (Penguin), 2018. $18. 9780399550249

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

This book is the life story (so far) of Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Readers learn about his childhood in New York City, his initial inspiration at the local planetarium, his determination to pursue his interests, the lucky (and incredible) opportunities that came his
I can hear Neil deGrasse Tyson laugh and speak in this book. If you have ever watched him speak, you will hear it too. If you haven't watched him speak, you really should.

While this is a picture book biography of Tyson, somehow, I felt more like I was reading a story about a really cool guy. This story takes you from his youth to the present. It will make you feel like you can be anything that you want to be if you are willing to work hard, play hard, and laugh at the cosmos around you.

As I
Jillian
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid biography - Neil Degrasse Tyson comes off as a very approachable person, and this book is equally friendly and understandable. His enthusiasm is infectious - whenever I hear him speak, he throws me back into my childhood "space phase" for a few days. And I really liked the addition of some of his speeches into the text. (Grabbing people and shouting, "Have you heard this?")
I especially loved how the book dealt openly with the struggles of being Black in America - having the police called
Lorie
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
In this picture book biography, both art and text capture the spirit and energy of famous astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson. After an explosive introduction about the big bang, the reader meets a nine year old Neil as he experiences the stars for the first time at the Hayden Planetarium in New York City. From then on they become his passion as we see him grow up until he now is the director of the very same place he first experienced the cosmos.

I would recommend this book for purchase by any
Dana Storytime Account
This was a cute book with really nice illustrations but I definitely did not love it quite as much as I was hoping. At times I found it to be too wordy and I wish it had more of Tysons actual personality coming through it.

Also not sure if it's the copy of my book or if it's all the books, but every other spread had a really strange texture in my book which I know is a silly thing to point out in a review but it just really confused us here at the library (originally I thought maybe the stars
Michele
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a children's biography book, this one takes it down to the child's level so that they may get to know Neil Degrasse Tyson. I love that the author, Kathleen Krull, pointed out that Neil didn't grow up with lots of money. That isn't what really matters. What matters is that Neil found something that excited him. He fell in love with the night sky. Neil soaked up every piece of information he could. He believed in himself AND he had an awesome support network in his parents.

Great information on
Fred Slusher
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read  Ribbet
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kathleen Krull and Paul Brewer have selected Neil Grasse Tyson as the subject of this new picture book biography which is one of my favorite genres. Readers will be able to see Tyson as a youth and where his interest in astronomy began and how it was nurtured. Readers can follow Tyson's journey to his current popularity. Astronomical information finds its way into the biographical narrative. A great book to add to a classroom collection and position for use in content areas as well.
Ahdom
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book twice this evening to my girls. I saw it on display at the library and being a fan of Tyson's, I had to share his journey. This book had some great pictures and it was inspiring. I love the message of this book as told through Neil's life and leaves us with an important message: "Keep looking up!"
Amanda Harrison
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Very readable picture book biography of Degrasse Tyson and how he became to be synonymous with science and astronomy for us today.

Note: Ok, this is random, by why are the end papers covered with dots? Is this supposed to be indicative of the number of stars in the sky? It just seems random. The rest of the pictures are fine.
Kelly
Although the book is wordy, it is packed with very understandable information for the target audience. Nothing else could be expected when you're writing a picture book about Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Again, it was a bit wordy, but the overall feel of the book was really good. A boy discovers a passion, strives to work toward a dream, all the while being true to himself.
BeachwoodSchoolhouse Books
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another favorite read of ours for this month! How can you not love Neil deGrasse Tyson?! So my girls were psyched to see this at the library. It was great! It captured his enthusiasm and personality so well and it was great learning about how he got to where he is. We love listening to StarTalk and watching Cosmos and his YouTube videos.
Turrean
A very approachable and interesting look at a fascinating scientist. Explores the roots of Tyson’s interest in astrophysics, and his skill at sharing the thrill of science. The author is upfront about the challenges Tyson faces because he’s black.
Jen
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a solid biography of science superstar Neil DeGrasse Tyson. The illustrations were more of a standout than the book. It would appeal to middle grade readers, especially those interested in space.
Cindy Dobrez
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid addition to our 7th-grade nonfiction picture book research/multimedia project. Tyson's enthusiasm for his life's passion for space shines through the text and Frank Morrison's fabulous illustrations.
Bridget Neace
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not a science person in the slightest beyond my enjoyment of "The Big Bang Theory" and a few sci-fi books (#IlluminaeFilesforLIFE), but this picture book biography was quite an enjoyable read. Can't wait to add this to my school library collection.
DianeLikesToRead
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!! I’ve read it with my third grade students. It’s a great me to text for biography and narrative nonfiction. I use it at a mentor text. It shows his perseverance to achieve his goals. The book has a great message for students!!!
Kate
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 1st-4th grade
I enjoyed learning about Tyson's life, would have liked a little more of his own words. The artwork is good but the depiction of Tyson didn't seem consistent. Still, a good intro to a famous living scientist.
Sharon Lawler
Positively wonderful biography about the most visible astrophysicist since Carl Sagan--Neil Degrasse Tyson. Not only did he become obsessed with the universe at an early age, he was adept in making the topic understandable to anyone who crossed his path.
Kate
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
I loved reading about how Tyson discover the stars and how it inspired him to pursue a career in astrophysics! The perfect gift for the stargazer/science nerd in your life, no matter their age!
Emily
Great picture book biography. This will be fun to use this summer!

• No Small Potatoes: Junius G. Groves and His Kingdom in Kansas
  • What Do You Do with a Voice Like That?: The Story of Extraordinary Congresswoman Barbara Jordan
  • Counting on Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Saved Apollo 13
  • Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
  • Game Changers: The Story of Venus and Serena Williams
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • What Is Given from the Heart
  • Star Wars: Are You Scared, Darth Vader?
  • Just Right: Searching for the Goldilocks Planet