Start by marking “Pulse” as Want to Read:
Pulse

Pulse

Boston, 1976. In a small apartment above Kenmore Square, sixteen-year-old Daniel Fitzsimmons is listening to his landlord describe a seemingly insane theory about invisible pulses of light and energy that can be harnessed by the human mind. He longs to laugh with his brother Harry about it, but Harry doesn't know he's there--he would never approve of Daniel living on his ...more
Published October 23rd 2018 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about Pulse, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Pulse
Tammy
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Taking place in Boston during 1976, this is an edgy police procedural that feels new. It explores the links between quantum mechanics and consciousness. And no, no one understands what that is least of all me. Pulses of energy and light which can be channeled by the mind? Possibly.
A trippy tale of suspense, this novel reads like a mashup of Dennis Lehane and Stephen King with a potentially ambiguous ending depending on how you choose to read. I’d suggest that you just go along for the ride.
Sandy
This is one of those books that must give publishers the vapours. Police procedural? Sci-fi? Mystery? Grit-lit? Well….yes, it is. All of the above. So instead of trying to label it, I’ll do my best to describe this heartfelt & thought provoking read.

The first book I read by this author was the fabulous Brighton, a book that remains on my Top 10 of the last few years. This one is very different but similar in all the ways that matter. It’s essentially the story of 2 pairs of brothers. One is
megs_bookrack
Nov 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
If Stephen King is going to take the time to tweet a recommendation of this book, I am going to take the time to read it. Immediately adds to tbr...

Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

Pulse by Michael Harvey. (2018).

Daniel seems like a normal American teenager. But Daniel has powers which he doesn't understand and is not sure he can control. He can't risk telling anyone but a mysterious stranger offers an insight into what he is experiencing and becomes his unofficial mentor. After a tragedy and the police becoming more interested in Daniel, his powers will finally come into their own.

An intriguing concept for a
LadyJBookishNook
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this for the Library Journal. A little different book than what I normally read but I enjoyed the change.
Kathy
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Half in, half out for me. I liked reading something completely out of my zone, but perhaps it was too far out. I think I will call it dark urban fiction.
You'll get Boston from Southie perspective; metaphysical "theories" most random; strange police behavior; weird guardian angel figure; unfathomable family dynamics; schizoid theories and ramblings and a whole lot of rough language from cops and street people...ordinary Boston stuff in the 70's? And then there's Simon, or is he real?

my
Dan Radovich
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Harvey's skilled writing for years, but this one kind of threw me for a loop. He brings a strong police procedural to vivid life (as always) but with PULSE, he adds some detailed science to the plot. He stays in Boston with this new novel, like BRIGHTON before it; and 1976 comes to life with all it's 'glory'. Daniel and Harry Fitzsimmons are brothers with a past, and when Harry is murdered that past comes to light by the two cops investigating the case. I mentioned science ...more
Suzanne
I’m not sure how to review this book; my reaction to it is complex. At times I was fully engaged with the characters and plot; other times I thought it lacked cohesion and made little sense. It is a mystery with science fiction elements that are poorly worked out. Rather than feeling awed by the science fiction, I felt bogged down by it, not my usual response. I wanted both more and less of this tale and struggle to delineate what exactly I mean by that. Usually it means better editing was ...more
Gabriela
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entangled blend of fantasy and physics

A well written novel that's gripping and heavy on topics such as friendship, discrimination, paternity, family and the laws of nature governing all energies of the universe, hence what happens based or not on our own will. Bending time and probability, the book walks seamlessly through murders and escape plans, imaginary (or not) influences and causality. I loved the writing style most of all. Then the plot was brilliant, even if thick with the physics of
Ron S
Jul 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: boston
A tale more suited to fans of the show "Stranger Things" than readers of Richard Price or The Friends of Eddie Coyle.
MRIDULA
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-5-stars, thriller
|3.5 stars|

Pulse by Michael Harvey is about Daniel Fitzsimmons- a 16-year-old who has suffered severe trauma as a kid. And this trauma has also given him an extraordinary power called entanglement (you’ll learn about it in the book).

But Daniel is a subject of interest in a recent murder and the police are digging deeper into his past. Daniel has to be clever enough to achieve his goal and be discreet at the same time.

Let’s start with the plot. The plot has its own high and low. I loved the
Sharon
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strange- but in a completely absorbing way- I loved this mix of crime fiction and sci-fi theory.
At times the narrative is slippery and hard to grasp, but you should definitely hang in because the unsettled nature fits the story well and there are plenty of times when the tale settles next to you in perfect comfort.
Give it a try- you won't regret it!

This ARC was provided by Ecco/HarperCollins in exchange for an honest review>.
Deana St. John
This is a sweet little uncomplicated novel about a boy raised by squirrels in Central Park. OH wait, that was "Squirrel Boy...." Pulse is not a sweet uncomplicated anything. It's a hard azz cop story with lots of SCIFI/quantum mechanics? thrown in, that makes it hard to figure out what's happening and who the good guys are. Or maybe there aren't any...wife beaters, drug addicts, good cops shooting bad cops, bad cops shooting good cops, good cops shooting other good cops, you get the point. And ...more
Q
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
There are so many things wrong with this book
The characters motivations don't make any sense - often tied "neatly" up into "that's just how things be".

It combines the ridiculous flowery language of literary prose with a hard boiled detective setting combined with supernatural elements in a way that makes zero sense and comes across as trying way too hard.

The "twists" are not set up in any meaningful way and are there purely to stun the reader and hit without any emotional backing to them.

The
Jenna
Dec 19, 2018 rated it did not like it

Different. Weird. A mix of sci-fi w/a mystery subplot thrown in.

I started this on audio. As I was halfway thru the first disc I thought, “what the heck is this book about again?”
I went on goodreads to read the summary as well as posted reviews which helped put it in perspective.

I like Michael Harvey. I LOVED his Michael Kelly series!!!!!
I think he’s a good writer though on a bit of the dark side w/his stories.

The beginning of the book is definitely sci-fi themed. I’m not a big reader
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: A physical copy was provided via Bloomsbury India in exchange for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Daniel Fitzsimmons, a16 year oldboy who suffered as trauma as a kid – but even at the start of the book, it’s clear to the reader that Daniel is also in control of an extraordinary power – a power that is a s confusing to him as it is to the reader.

But when Daniel
Sheng
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, crime
Joan
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
In 1976 Boston, Daniel Fitzsimmons is alone; his father has never been around, his mother died when he was eight, and his brother, Harry, is away at Harvard. But Harry’s murder, in what appears to be a senseless street killing, leaves Daniel to face both his grief and his strange power, a power he is not certain he can control.

Detectives William Barkley “Bark” Jones and Tommy Dillon are assigned to Harry’s case. How, they wonder, can Daniel have known the details of his brother’s murder before
Fathima Ashab
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
This was my first book by Michael Harvey and this genre is totally out of my league. So I had no expectations before starting and it turned out to be something I really enjoyed reading. The story happens in Boston and even though I felt his writing was too descriptive at some places, most of the descriptions about the place was so vivid. And the characters were so real except for a character that was based on science fictional element. This was a story of two brothers named Harry and Daniel ...more
Camille McCarthy
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was truly just ok. It was not great but also was not terrible enough for me to say anything nasty about it. The writing was a little awkward and I didn't understand what this book was really about. There were some promising ideas here, and some interesting characters, but the way they came together did not make much sense and I did not feel personally attached to any of them. This book is similar to a Stephen King book in terms of the type of characters that are involved and the sort ...more
Donna Hines
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's as if the voices are chanting in harmony when Daniel finds himself at the heart of it all.
Daniel knows his brother Harry will be murdered but how can that be that he knows so much detail about a murder yet not have any involvement?
Not only is it rather far fetched, but bordering on bizarre, as the consequences leading up to Daniel's knowledge are more than mere coincidences.
The journey has to begin somewhere with this case beginning before the detectives have even gathered up the evidence.
Roy
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This was weird. A urban crime novel set in Boston in the 70s would sound pretty cool. This however mixes quantum physics, supernatural elements and weird characters who make strange decisions. I got a little lost in the last 40-50 pages. It kinda had that Blake Crouch feel but Blake does it better. I know Harvey normally writes crime but Ive never read any. I just have a feeling the scifi elements are new and might have been experimental in nature.
Denise O’Connor
This was a very different book and it had a lot of potential, but sometimes missed the mark. The author used the concept of quantum physics and specifically “entanglement” to explain shape shifting, parallel existences and other plot devices that underpinned this story. The story was tragic and intense. It left me somewhat unsettled.
Dyanne
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not sure about this one. Not the usual Michael Harvey book. Takes place in his beloved Boston with the usual suspects cops but that’s where it ends. Crime novel mixed with Syfi...not so sure. Steven King mentions the book and I normally like what he recommends but not this time.
Liza Franklin
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was very interested in it. But. He lost me in the last 75 pages. I don’t understand what happened or why. I’m giving it a 4 because it was interesting enough that I read the whole thing, and I can’t give it a 3.5.
Paul Manytravels
Michael Harvey's recently published book, "Pulse," combines fantasy, based on some actual metaphysics, and suspenseful detective story into an innovative novel worth the read.
Whenever a reader enters into a fantasy novel or a science fiction novel, the reader must "suspend the disbelief," or accept the basic underlying premise of the book, even when it's a real stretch to do so. If the book is based on time travel, for example, the reader must read as if he believes time travel occurs; if
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
As he works to mold and perfect the details of the shooting of a homicide suspect, Boston detective William Barkley “Bark” Jones seeks guidance from the medical examiner. “So I did the right thing?” he asks. “You did the cop thing,” the examiner assures him.

Michael Harvey’s eighth novel, PULSE, marks the award-winning journalist’s return to Boston, where he grew up. His first six books are set in his adopted and current hometown of Chicago. Whether it’s Beantown or Chi-Town, these titles share
Wayne
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
PULSE is one of the strangest novels I have ever read....one part riveting crime mystery, and another part the relationship between quantum physics and spirituality. What???? It involves what is reality and what is just in one's mind. "Whatever you think you see, you don't. And whatever you don't see can hurt you." Understand???
Pulse is the story of 2 brothers, one (Harry) a Sophomore at Harvard and the other (Daniel) a student at Boston Latin. Their mother was killed in a car accident while
Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You
Harvey can write like few authors can, let's just get that down right off the jump... every book he has written is a wonder and joy to read, not for the gruesome content mind you, but for the scintillating prose, pitch-perfect pacing, and incredibly detailed plots he manufactures... the only reason this book mightn't be getting five stars is because i'm quite at a loss as to why he decided to weave in the science fiction-ish angle, because if you ask me this story didn't need anything so complex ...more
Cat Jenkins
Jun 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
My rating for 'Pulse' might have been two stars if I hadn't recently read 'Vita Nostra' by the Dyachenkos.

The latter was elegantly done and intellectually intriguing. The former is not. Harvey tries so hard to attain some level of sophistication and novelty in his imagery, that he ends up flailing about in an awkward, Creative Writing 101 way. For instance: "...powder that smelled like the notes spinning off an old jazz record on a phonograph in a picture hanging on a wall..." The metaphor
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Tear It Down (Peter Ash, #4)
  • If She Wakes
  • Lies Come Easy (Posadas County Mystery #13)
  • The Burglar
  • The Never Game (Colter Shaw, #1)
  • The Night Agent
  • Judgment
  • Verses for the Dead (Pendergast, #18)
  • Invisible (Paul McGrath #1)
  • Naked Came the Florida Man (Serge A. Storms #23)
  • November Road
  • The Hiding Place
  • Body & Soul (Frank Elder, #4)
  • The Void Protocol (The ICE Sequence, #3)
  • Mercy River (Van Shaw #4)
  • Full Throttle
  • Dead Man Running (Alex McKnight, #11)
  • Dark Sacred Night (Harry Bosch, #21; Renée Ballard, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #31)

Michael is the best-selling author of seven crime novels, The Chicago Way, The Fifth Floor, The Third Rail, We All Fall Down, The Innocence Game, The Governor’s Wife and Brighton, scheduled for release in June of 2016. Film rights to Brighton, a stand-alone thriller set in Michael’s hometown of Boston, were recently optioned by Graham King, producer of The Departed and The Town.

Michael is also an