Start by marking “The How & the Why” as Want to Read:
The How & the Why

The How & the Why

A poignant exploration of family and the ties that bind, perfect for fans of Far From the Tree, from New York Times bestselling author Cynthia Hand.

Today Melly had us writing letters to our babies

Cassandra McMurtrey has the best parents a girl could ask for. Theyve given Cass a life she wouldnt trade for the world. She has everything she needsexcept maybe the one thing she
Published November 5th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The How & the Why, please sign up.
Sarah There's some very minor swearing, it's not littered through the book. And I wouldn't say there are "sexy" scenes, but there are certainly mentions of…moreThere's some very minor swearing, it's not littered through the book. And I wouldn't say there are "sexy" scenes, but there are certainly mentions of sex, considering the book is about a pregnant teen. Overall it's pretty tame, but I would say it's PG13 as far as ratings go.(less)

Start your review of The How & the Why
chan ☆
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
poignant & realistic YA contemporary. here for it

there's not much to say about the plot that isn't described in the blurb. this story is about cassie who is a senior in high school and going thru a lot: her mom needs a heart transplant, she has a crush on the new guy, she's fighting with her bestie, she's trying to get a scholarship to her dream college and she wants to learn more about her birth mother.

this story is told in dual POVs. cassie's and her birth mom's letters to her that she
Gabby
I dont read a lot of YA anymore, but I saw this audiobook available at my library, and Kayla (booksandlala) really enjoyed this one last year so I decided to give it a go. This book is really cute, I liked it a whole lot. This book somehow simultaneously manages to be both hard hitting but light hearted and fun at the same time. At times I was tearing up and crying, but most of the book felt very light and mostly feel-good and happy. It was exactly what I needed right now.

This story follows a
Christy
4 stars

I truly enjoyed this book. Honestly, I thought it was going to be a five star read until the end. That ending it wasnt bad, but I needed so much more. I couldnt believe the book stopped right there.

The How and the Why is my first book by Cynthia Hand. 2020 has been awesome for me and new to me authors. This is a great YA Contemporary told from two perspectives. Cassie is a high school senior and S is a 16 year old pregnant teen. S is Cassies birth mom and her story is told through
Hollis
This is the second book I've finished today and both have made me cry. A lot. Is there a correlation between my tears and loving a book? Maybe. But not necessarily. I've definitely still cried for books I've hated, so. There's that.

However. I didn't hate this book at all. I figured this would be emotional as it was about adoption, family, and also likened to FAR FROM THE TREE by Robin Benway another story that I'm pretty sure I remember made me cry a lot.

This one is told in two timelines of a
Cynthia Hand
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Covering coming SOOOOOOOON.
Tucker

Many thanks to Wunderkind PR for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

recommended by Ms. Jen!

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Y.A. and older; there are some pretty mature incidents in this, and some language.
Wow. Just...wow. I started this book yesterday, and would have finished it had it not been 2:00 a.m. and I made myself put it down. ( Torture; I was on pg. 360!) Anyway, I knew pretty quickly that this one would be on my Best Of 2020 shelf. Its one of the most beautiful stories about adoption that Ive ever read, hands down.
Memorable Quotes:
(Pg. 2)-If I were an adopted kid, Id want there to be a letter for me. Because Id want to find out things that arent in the paperwork. Id be curious. Id want
Ari
Beautiful, heartbreaking, hopeful.. Such an emotional ride!

This book seems to have the authors heart imprinted on each page.
And honestly, I loved every aspect of this novel and every character. It's a story about family, friendship, and the need to belong in both ways; about first love and first major choices, about passions and and achievements and disappointments; it's a story about so much more.

It's powerful, it's heartwarming, it's incredible and deep and still beautifully subtle in some
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
4.5 stars rounded up

This was such an emotional story that I could not put it down once I started. Amazing.
Emily Nicholas | Emily The Book Nerd
REVIEW FOUND ON MY BLOG
*Thank you to the FFBC and Cynthia Hand for an arc copy of the book*

I had no idea what to expect going into The How & They Why and I was pleasantly surprised. This is one of my new favorite books for many reasons. Let me gush about this amazing novel. I cried, I laughed, I smiled almost the entire time reading the book. I could not put it down. It was so good that I read it in about two sittings. This book was very easy to
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
"The point is, I hope you get it - the why of the whole thing. I hope you have a good life- a boring, no-drama, no-real-problems kind of life.
Good luck, X. I wish you the best."
I have such a weakness for family stories. I will without fail, pick up a book if family is a central focus, and I can say The How & the Why is a great addition to the emotional family-centric stories that I love. The story is told in 2 perspectives: 18 year old Cass as shes getting ready for all that comes with
Shalini
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful poignant story which brought a lump to my throat at times when the emotions rose like a tidal wave.

This book was about family, a young 16 year old girl S who gave up her baby for adoption and Cassandra the baby who was adopted and was now eighteen and wanted to find her birth mother. The story also dealt with the relationships with her parents, grandmother, best friend Nyla and Bastian. Her ambition and future education were well weaved into the story. Her mother was on the waiting
Kait Goodwin ★Kait Plus Books★
Full review to be posted on http://kaitplusbooks.com closer to the release date (which is in November, not December. Oops!), but just know that this is probably going to be my favorite book of 2019. So read this book as soon as you can get your hands on it!!! (And also have a box of tissues ready)
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Melanie  Brinkman
Maybe these letters can say the words I can't speak...

Cass has been blessed with a wonderful life. Parents who love her, a best friend who's always there for her, dream she dares to aspire for, and more. But she yearns to learn the things she's never known, like where she came from, and who she is. All things her adoptive parents can't answer, even though their love knows no bounds. As Cass endlessly searches for answers, everything seems like a dead end. But eighteen years ago someone wrote a
Mari Johnston
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: adoption, hospitals, heart disease, surgery, racism, abuse, depression, suicide attempt, drug abuse, alcoholism

This book. THIS. BOOK. Oh my gosh

Every single sentence oozed emotion. I felt every word all the hope, fear, longing, embarrassment, anger, confusion, dread, excitement.

Its hard to write a review for a book like this. Cassandras mom dealt with heart issues and was in the hospital for the majority
USOM
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

As an adoptee, I don't think I have the words to describe how much I adored The How & the Why. It's a story that has the power to resonate with a lot of adoptees. The questions that you ask, "How and why?" How did I get to where I am and why?

While neither Cass or Nyla, two characters who were adopted in The How & the Why, represent my adoption story, I could deeply
Nomes
This was really very good. A slow start which builds to an unputdownable and emotional read that felt true-to-life, it was achingly sad, joyous and hopeful. I loved the dual POVs (the daughter, as a teenager, and the mum, also as a pregnant teenager, years before). I loved the other pregnant teen mums, actually, I pretty much loved the whole cast of characters, the family dynamics. A new fave for me.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

This book is phenomenal and will make you feel so many things that your emotions might actually explode but you'll be okay with it cause it's worth it. I mean, I almost don't want to tell you much about it because I just want you to go ahead and experience it for yourself? I'll try to give you a little idea of why you must.

FAMILY. Can I be any clearer that this novel is straight up
Stacy Fetters
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"To me, youre still sort of intangible. I know youre in there, but youre not obvious yet. Youre tight pants. Youre heartburn. Youre the space alien slowly taking over my body. Youre X."

Going into this book, I thought it was going to be an easy read. Oh, I was so wrong. It was deeply emotional and beautiful. I found my eyes filling with tears as I read Cassandras story. Family stories are a definite must-read and I never wanted this to end.

Cassandra is adopted and she never knew her biological
Paula  Phillips
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it

As soon as I saw the synopsis for this book, I knew I wanted to read it as I have always been fascinated with adoption stories and the desire to meet your birth parents. I think it has stemmed from the fact that my dad never knew his birth father and also I have an older half- brother who was adopted out five and half years before I was born. I have met him a few times but we aren't close. In The How and the Why, you could also see the author's "realness' shine through as she was also adopted.
Emily
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book feels like a love letter to the Booth Marian Pritchett School. No two experiences are ever alike, but the author approaches teen pregnancy, adoption and the finding-oneself- anguish of the teenage years with great respect and and thoughtfulness. This year, the real-life school moved to a new facility and structure and will never be what it once was, as often happens in life. The timing of this book for those of us who dedicated so many years to the program and it's students feels like ...more
Whitney
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-favorites
Loved this story! A little too perfect at the end but I would definitely recommend it!
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
The How and the Why is a Young Adult contemporary book.

I have enjoyed previous books by this author so I was excited to get to read her newest book.

The narrator is 18 year old Cassandra (1st person POV). She lives in Idaho Falls, Idaho.

Cassandra is starting her senior year of high school. So she has to think about college. But she also has other serious things going on in her life.

She was adopted at birth. And now that she is 18 she has to decide if she wants to learn more about her birth
Toya
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-contemporary
4.5 stars rounded up!

The How & The Why is a beautiful and poignant coming of age novel that was so deeply emotional. From page to page, I didnt know if I would end up laughing or tear up. My heart was bursting at the seams the entire time.

Cassandra is adopted and has never known her biological parents. She has had the incredible fortune of being raised by two amazing parents. Now that Cass is eighteen and starting her senior year, she should be focusing on college applications, but she
Ren (A Bookish Balance)
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-hardcopy
4.5/5 stars

The How & the Why is a dual narrative story following an adopted girl named Cassie and her birth mother, S. In Cassie's narrative we see she's feeling a little lost, her mom's heart is failing, her dad is pushing her to go to a school she doesn't want to, and she's beginning to have questions about her birth mom (she had a closed adoption). S's perspective is a series of letters written to Cassie that follow S's pregnancy journey.

I loved how Cassie's perspective never quite went
Cody | CodysBookshelf
A heartbreaking, hard-hitting contemporary about adoption (and college admissions, and acting, and occasional bouts of racism too . . .), The How & the Why had me in its grasp, until it didnt.

Where this book began losing me was a very obvious and predictable twist re: the love interest. I saw it coming from a mile away, and I couldnt believe the main character didnt either. Still, I was able to look past it as it didnt have much bearing on the story as a whole.

What I cant forgive, however,
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This book! It did not disappoint.

Its a book about theatre kids, about growing up, about choosing a college, about awkward teenage moments, about adoption, about what life looks like when you are facing the death of a loved one, about a teenager trying to give her unborn child her best life.

The story alternates between an 18 year old in present day and letters from her teenage birth mom.

The ending is perfection which I both loved and hated. My eyes were not dry. Hows that for cryptic? 😁
Madison
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The How and the Why is a touching, remarkable novel about family. Cynthia Hand delivers sad and funny moments that will have readers chuckling even as they wipe away tears. A story about adoption, belonging, acceptance and love.

Cass has always known she was adopted. Its something her parents have shared with her, even if there were no details about her birth parents, their lives or why they gave her up for adoption. But as Casss mother waits for a heart transplant that seems increasingly
Madeline Nixon
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasnt sure how I would feel about this book going into it. I knew I would either love or hate it, because thats how I feel about adoption stories, having come from a family that is involved with foster care and adoptive families. I feel like this book was really well done, very tasteful, and accurately presented a situation. I could relate to Cassandra and S. The writing was very approachable and had a lot of heart to it. I know this is a personal story for the author and that came across. It ...more
Jenny Jo Weir
I'm a Cynthia Hand fan. Her work always speaks to me one way or another. Although this book might not be my favorite, I did like it. Even though it was a little slow, I did end up submersed in it, the further in I got. The thing about this one was that I felt it fell a little short at points and I didn't care for the ending or lack thereof. I wanted a little more explanation maybe and why we didn't hear from "S" at her 18th birthday. It wasn't a bad book at all, I just wanted a little more out ...more
Young Adult Conte...: #21 The How and Why by Cynthia Hand 35 18 Dec 03, 2019 10:03PM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Release Date 2 22 Aug 15, 2019 02:19AM

• Turtle Under Ice
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Just Breathe
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • All-American Muslim Girl
Cynthia Hand is the New York Times bestselling author of several books for teens, including the UNEARTHLY trilogy, THE LAST TIME WE SAY GOODBYE, MY LADY JANE and MY PLAIN JANE (with fellow authors Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows), THE AFTERLIFE OF HOLLY CHASE, and the upcoming novels THE HOW AND THE WHY and MY CALAMITY JANE (also with Ashton and Meadows). Before turning to writing for young adults, ...more