Start by marking “Uncanny X-Men: The New Age, Volume 2: The Cruelest Cut” as Want to Read:
Uncanny X-Men: The New Age, Volume 2: The Cruelest Cut

Uncanny X-Men: The New Age, Volume 2: The Cruelest Cut (Uncanny X-Men, Vol. I (Collected Editions) #450-454)

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  251 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Wolverine's 30th Anniversary Celebration starts off with a bang as the X-Men investigate a series of mysterious murders in New York City. All the victims seem to have been cut to pieces by blades... Adamantium blades But if Wolverine didn't murder these people, then who did? Plus: While on assignment to track down missing teammate Sage, the X-Men discover more than they ba ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Marvel Comics Group (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Uncanny X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncanny X-Men

Dan
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Appearance of X-23 made this interesting and was hoping for an end to that story but it jumped to another story.
Ryan
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommended
This one is written by Chris Claremont and is actually pretty good. By this time (in 2004) Claremont had written several X-Men books on his return to the franchise. Most of them had been flops, but Marvel kept throwing him projects. Here he gives up most of his schmaltzy characterizations and conforms with what many other writers were doing at the time. Gone are his John Hughes-type speeches and overwrought narration.

Also this book is drawn well too. Alan Davis is in top form and Andy Parks doe
Craig
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Continuing the great x-read of 2017...

I read this a bit out of order as this is the comics introduction of X-23. That story was pretty decent. The Hellfire club story, though, was a bit of a mess and probably needed another issue or two to breathe - it just felt really rushed and a bit confusing. Maybe it is just that I still loathe Sage as a character and really don't understand why Claremont continues to push her to a place of importance.
Jdetrick
Blah blah blah....more of the same.
Roman Colombo
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: marvel
The X23 introduction was really good...but ended abruptly and she isn't metioned again. And the Hellfire Club story felt like it was missing a few chapters for it to make sense.
Dennis Koniecki
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Qualifier: I read this on a quest to learn more about X-23 after having read most of her stand alone appearances. I hadn't read the books immediately before. And that made it confusing as hell and not all that engaging. Maybe it would be better with more context, but to me it was just "meh."
Rob
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
What I admire about this is that it sticks with the format of the old x-men comics--narration, reduced gore, characters loving to talk about their powers (anyone else tired of reading "healing factor" all the time? As a term, it barely makes sense, why do even the villains use it?)and a plot-centric storyline that can get weird fast. I'm not sure if all that holds up well against modern comics however, even if the art does. It's one thing to be reading classic x-men and accept the style as part ...more
Jostalady
Jul 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is not the beginning of the Uncanny X-men, and I regret jumping in because I can tell I missed so much. There is a Rachel Grey that must be explained somewhere else, and I would really like to know about her. This is an ok story, I enjoyed it...but I do not recommend taking the read whichever one you can find, out of order approach I have been taking...
Becky
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The only really good thing about this book was that X-23 shows up for the first time. And she's awesome. But they find her and they have a really cool fight, and then they go off and do something else and don't mention her again.
Also, Emma and Rachel get into it, which was also pretty awesome.
So basically I liked those two fights, but wasn't really in to the actual plot of the trade.
Chris
Apr 05, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Its a Wolverine clone - but she's a hot chick! What more does a fan-boy want? Not plot or well written dialogue surely. Oh weapon-x program, when will you stop forcing young, feral mutants to struggle with their humanity and the thin line that holds the inner-beast in check while tortured by inner-demons and memories they can't trust?
John
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Casey Harvey
Some good bonding between Rachel and Emma, but otherwise pretty forgettable.
Lord
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
Better than the previous volume, mainly because of Laura. But Claremont's writing is still mediocre. The art's still good.
Michael Barenbaum
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Better then the volume before this but nothing great ether. Other then a few jarring things the story is still a fun read an was the fixre
Angela
Mar 06, 2011 rated it liked it
The Xmen versus the Hellfire club again. Also the debut of X23 in the comic. Could have been better.
Ray
Maisey
Sep 18, 2016
  • Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1: Hope
  • Exiles, Volume 1: Down the Rabbit Hole
  • X-Posed (New X-Men: Academy X #3)
  • Uncanny X-Men: Sisterhood
  • Wolverine: Get Mystique
  • New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 5: Quest for Magik
  • X-Men by Brian Wood, Volume 1: Blank Generation
  • Decimation: Generation M
Chris Claremont is a writer of American comic books, best known for his 16-year (1975-1991) stint on Uncanny X-Men, during which the series became one of the comic book industry's most successful properties.

Claremont has written many stories for other publishers including the Star Trek Debt of Honor graphic novel, his creator-owned Sovereign Seven for DC Comics and Aliens vs Predator for Dark Hors
More about Chris Claremont

Uncanny X-Men, Vol. I (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 99 books)
  • X-Men: Days of Future Present