Start by marking “The World of Lore: Dreadful Places (The World of Lore, #3)” as Want to Read:
The World of Lore: Dreadful Places (The World of Lore, #3)

The World of Lore: Dreadful Places

(The World of Lore #3)

Captivating stories of the places where human evil has left a nefarious mark, featuring stories from the podcast Lore--now a streaming television series--including "Echoes," "Withering Heights," and "Behind Closed Doors" as well as rare material.

Sometimes you walk into a room, a building, or even a town, and you feel it. Something seems off--an atmosphere that leaves you o
Published October 9th 2018 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about The World of Lore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Lore

Amalia Gavea
‘’Staring into the now-open cell, his heart froze. The walls inside, he said, were covered with faces. Dozens and dozens of faces, their expressions writhing with agony and horror.’’

The second installment in Aaron Mahnke’s series left me utterly disappointed. It was one of the worst, most offensive books I’ve ever read. Having enjoyed the first volume of the series, I decided to give him one more chance. Not that it matters, obviously. Unfortunately, I cannot say that it was a pleasant experie
Sara
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The latest instalment in the ‘Lore’ series, this follows the stories that surround the dark and sinister places in our lore. As usual it’s easy to read, with a friendly and familiar writing style that lends itself well to these types of stories. It’s as though the writer is talking around a camping fire with old friends, relaying spooky stories - which is exactly how these tales should be told.

The stories and places covered range
Diana
Re-read 2019

Finally got it from the library. Again I am a huge fan of books on the paranormal, they are a huge guilty pleasure. Even though this isn't my favorite in the series, I do recommend it because he mentions multiple places and things that I have never heard of before.

I'm on a waiting list at my library so I can re-read this one as well. I love books like this. I had listed to Aaron Mahnke's podcast a few times prior to finding out about the books he was writing and I really enjoyed wha
Kirsti
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The third book in the series, and it's still going strong. I still haven't listened to any of the podcasts, but with these books I feel like I can hear Aaron's voice anyway. All the stories are well researched and interesting, some of which are more well known but others were fresh to me. This book is about dreadful places, so ships, graveyards and lighthouses are the focus. There are heaps of older stories too, which I really loved.

A great book in an awesome series, can we get another? :D Five
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved reading about creepy places that go bump in the night.
Matt
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
So disclosure: I have yet to find a podcast that doesn't annoy me. I just don't like most people's voices. So I've never listened to Lore, nor will I likely ever.

Here's how this went: I started reading, realized this guy's writing voice sounds exactly like a bad podcast voice, and just couldn't do it. I made myself struggle through about 15 pages before I reminded myself, hey, life is short, and I don't have to read anything I don't want to.

[1 star for the premise. I think it could have been dec
Matt
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read. I first discovered Lore as a podcast and greatly enjoyed it despite Mahnke’s voice sounding like a robot lol. The tales are intriguing and rooted in truths which made it that much more eerie and engaging. Mahnke’s insertion of humor and his own feelings toward various aspects was appreciated. He’s a good writer who knows how to relay a tale to his readers. The illustrations are also nicely done in a black humor sort of way. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys the podcast a ...more
Ashleigh
The World of Lore: Dreadful Places is the 3rd book in a companion series of books to the podcast, Lore. This book explores cities, towns, states, hotels, buildings, etc where 'dreadful' things have happened or occur. For example, we have hotels haunted by past residents, and towns cursed to fall.

So this is the first Lore book I've picked up, (and I've never actually listened to the podcast), but it was a fun read. I loved the little snippets about the various places in this book, and it would
Dez Nemec
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2019
Took me a bit to get into but once I did, I couldn't put it down. Lots of good creepy places and stories.
Jessica
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Del Rey for the free copy in exchange for my honest review.

Since picking up Slenderman recently, I have been absolutely fascinated with folklore, specifically the new generation of digital folklore. However, it was nice going back to the folklore that brought us the monsters and places that we would scary each other with in campfire stories.

Both of these editions in The World of Lore series were very engrossing to read. For Dreadful Places we are brought all over the world to examine
Kerri Anne
Dec 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
I admittedly picked this book up from our local library because I thought the cover art was fantastic (and it is), not because I'd ever listened to the podcast on which this book is based (Lore). And while certain stories were new to me and definitely piqued my interest, this book felt like an uncomfortable regurgitation of podcast content.

I can forgive repetitive content when it's well-written, but this just wasn't. And I'm not saying that to be snarky or unfairly judgmental. Bad writing is ba
Out of the Bex
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the previous two...

Admittedly, I've never listened to the Lore Podcast. But I have read all three books!

The third installment lacked fluidity, the stories flitted about briefly and quickly dissolved into the next chapter perhaps too quickly after their climax. It did even out after around 100 pages, but though less so, it was still noticeable.

Also of note, this book is filled with a great deal of history notes and descriptions, much more so than books one and two.

All in al
Katherine
"In one aspect, yes, I believe in ghosts, but we create them. We haunt ourselves."

Puckwedgies rise again because he made an appearance here. I can't seem to get away from them, can I?

I'll always love anything and everything Lore, but for some reason, this one didn't grab my attention as much as the first book did (or as much as I think the third one will). I guess I'm not as fascinated with haunted places and cities as I am with creatures and people. Nonetheless, Aaron Mahnke delivered more ta
Amanda Walton
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Aaron Mahnke and his podcast/show but when I found this book, I felt like I discovered him all over again!
A must read for anyone interested in folklore!
Court
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great overview of a series of enthralling mystery stories. Just enough to whet your appetite for more!
Am
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is pretty much an extension of the Podcast. Some of it is a repeat. It's a fun listen
J L Shioshita
To be completely honest this volume and the preceding volume blurred together. Though each of the three installments in this series have a general theme, I feel like only the first volume truly kept to the plot being centered around monsters of folklore and history. The following two volume seem to overlap quite a bit in their content with even some elements being recurring. That's not to say it's bad. It was still very enjoyable and I still love Mahnke's delivery, but I think three was definite ...more
Rachael  Fryman
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
If you are a fan of the Lore podcast, you will love this next installment of The World of Lore. This edition takes readers all over the world to some of the most haunted and terrifying places around the globe. Some of my favorites that were included in this book are tales from Savanah and New Orleans, the Dyatlov Pass, the Bell Witch Cave, and the many asylums and jails sprinkled through America and Europe.
Christine Staszko
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had wanted to get in on these Podcasts, the TV show, or the books, one or the other or all of the above. Ever since I saw the cover of the books and heard the premise it seemed right up my supernaturally obsessed alley. The logical place to start was with this book focusing on “dreadful places” because I’m always looking for new places to add to my haunted places bucket list.

I really loved the quality and quantity of places the author presents in this book. I’m always worried because of my pre
Stephanie Griffin
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audiobook version of The World of Lore: Dreadful Places is written and read by Aaron Mahnke. It’s based on a podcast that I know next to nothing about. Although I currently subscribe to 48 podcasts, this one never interested me.
Then, the good people at Lore decided to put into book format a series of books on the different subjects they cover. Dreadful places?! I’m in!
There are so many great stories in here. Very few had I already heard of. Some of them were so spooky I jumped when someone t
MamaMiaReads
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the Lore podcast so I was excited to read this book. It had a lot of new stories and a few I remembered from the podcast. All the stories I read were really chilling and some were downright spooky. I did read the books out of order but I do not think it matters what order you read them in as all the stories are stand-alone stories. Definitely, a great read if your a fan of this podcast or just love historical lore itself.
Kireja
Book Riot Read Harder challenge 2019 task # 15: A book of mythology or folklore.

I haven't listened to the Lore podcast, but I can definitely see how the author's tone in the book is a better fit for podcasts rather than the written form. I wrote down some noteworthy incidents/places so that I can look into them and at times the stories sent a chill down my spine (especially when I was reading at night). Overall though, this was only an okay read.
Logan
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Like binge-listening to 38 episodes of the podcast back-to-back. It's fun, but it gets repetitive.
Andrea Trenary
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did this as an audio book, and I'm so glad I did. I really love listening to Aaron Mahnke's voice and I so wish he would do more audio books.
Tho to anyone who doesn't know this, he did do Frankenstein for Apple/Itunes and it was free when I got it and I think it still is.

I still need to read/listen to the second book but this was very enjoyable.
Jackie
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first book in this series was excellent and the second book was disappointing. This third book in the series has bounced back up to excellent again. The stories in this particular book on Dreadful Places were unique, intriguing and spooky. I still get annoyed at the writer imposing himself in the storytelling too much and he seems overly pleased with himself which is very annoying - but I can't deny that he is an excellent storyteller. I recommend this book highly and though the second book ...more
Elaine
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
The third book in Mr. Mahnke's The World of Lore series is his weakest.

In Dreadful Places, Mr. Mahnke takes readers on a road trip through the heartland of America to visit haunted hotels, cemeteries and treacherous mountains, just to name a few.

Now, I've never listened to the podcast but this book read like how I imagine his podcast might sound like: random jumping back and forth from state to state with no cohesiveness with various tidbits of details dropped here and there like breadcrumbs
Nichole Holdorf
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some of these stories really spooked me.
Amanda
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Being a fan of the podcast Lore, I decided to give one of the books a try. That turned out to be a double-edged sword as the book consists of transcripts of episodes that I've already heard before. Not necessarily a bad thing; just not what I was expecting. It did make for some great, spooky bedtime reading, though! I would recommend it if you wanted to dip your toe into the world of Lore or if you were looking for a portable version of the podcast.

I received a digital ARC from the publisher vi
Meika
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book for traveling. The stories are about two or three pages each, and rely on witness statements of strange events and sightings, and then fill in the historical or folkloric context for the sightings. I learned a lot about places and the people whose stories are tied to those places. Also, he doesn't dig so deep that you have to slog through chapters of history, but also, most of the stories are not so reliant on spooky, scary, gory stuff, so you don't have to sleep with the lights on. H ...more
Hope (HopelessBookAddict)
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this more than the first two. And I was surprised at how many places I already knew about! Great read I highly recommend!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Unfortunate English: The Gloomy Truth Behind the Words You Use
  • Murder and Mayhem: A Doctor Answers Medical and Forensic Questions for Mystery Writers
  • A Stranger in the Family: A True Story of Murder, Madness, and Unconditional Love
  • Riding with Rilke: Reflections on Motorcycles and Books
  • Going Rouge: Sarah Palin, An American Nightmare
  • True Crime the Infamous Villians of Modern History and Their Hideous Crimes
  • Turning Life into Fiction
  • A Realm Divided: England in 1215
  • Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience, Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author
  • Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance
  • Dead Leaves: 9 Tales from the Witching Season
Aaron Mahnke is the creator, producer, and host of the hit podcast Lore (Best of iTunes 2015 & 2016), Executive Producer of the Lore television show on Amazon (from the producers of The Walking Dead), and author of The World of Lore book series (Penguin Random House / Del Rey).

Born and raised in Illinois, Aaron now lives with his wife and children on the historic North Shore of Boston, where h

The World of Lore (3 books)
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures (The World of Lore, #1)
  • The World of Lore: Wicked Mortals (The World of Lore, #2)