Start by marking “If You're Going to a March” as Want to Read:
If You're Going to a March

If You're Going to a March

“If you’re going to a march, you’re going to want a sign”—and this inspiring handbook, which introduces children to the world of action and activism.

As more and more children attend the growing number of marches across the country, this cheerful guide serves as a great reference tool and conversation starter for youthful participants. Inspired by author Martha Freeman’s
Published August 7th 2018 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about If You're Going to a March, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You're Going to a March

Start your review of If You're Going to a March
Brittany Soder
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely an oversimplified look at marches. I think this shows a very white look at how people are at marched. I would love to pair this with Let the Children March to really talk about the reality of matches and how society can push back against marginalized people who are speaking up.
Jillian Heise
Fairly didactic - written more as a how-to manual that leaves some important considerations out (mainly concerns those from marginalized communities may have seem erased).
Abigail
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Books Addressing Political Involvement & Activism
American children's author Martha Freeman and Korean illustrator Violet (Jung Ah) Kim pair up in this cheerful picture-book guide to participating in one of the fundamental activities of American democracy: the protest march. The narrator lists the things a young marcher will need to bring with them, gives advice on how to get to a march and how to conduct oneself while marching, and concludes with the instruction to be ready. One will want, inevitably, to march again...

As someone who
Susan Lubner
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful introduction for young budding activists explaining the reasons why many people choose to protest and how to be best prepared to march. Bright, detailed illustrations complement the sage advice suggesting a recycled pizza box for a sign, double-knotted sneakers to avoid tripping and that politeness is the way to go when marching past those with opposing views. A unique and timely addition for your little one’s Library.
Baby Bookworm
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is If You’re Going To A March, written by Martha Freeman and illustrated by Violet Kim, a child-friendly introduction to the do’s and don’t’s of peaceful demonstration.

If you’re going to a march, you’ll need to make a sign – a leftover pizza box is perfect. There are quite a few rules to follow: dress for the weather, wear comfortable and sturdy shoes, bring
Lisa
A very kid-appropriate (for any age from preschool on up, I would say, and maybe even for younger toddlers) practical guide to protest marches, just as the title says. Do note that it says there will be police at marches, which not everybody welcomes (but the text "their job is to keep people safe" allows room for talking about police who do not do their job); similarly there's a page about the press and how their job is to tell the truth, which of course you can use to start a conversation ...more
Kris
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book focuses on the how-tos of attending a march, for children. Cutely illustrated, but the audience feels like progressive parents who want to take their kids to a march and need to explain it to them, rather than kids who are interested in going to a march of their own volition. That's all good - sometimes if parents want to do something, kids have to come along for the ride, but it just seemed really specific. I think I would have preferred the whys to the hows. I did like this ...more
Dustin
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As social activism becomes a meaningful part of children’s lives, Martha Freeman’s newest book provides some valuable advice. Going to a march or protest can be in turns invigorating, exhausting, joyful, and fearful. Hearing simple advice addressed directly to young readers can help alleviate worries and prepare the participants. Freeman goes through basics- from signage to outfits to emotions- and keeps the advice specific enough to be useful but general enough to apply to various marches. ...more
A Allen
Nov 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't consider myself a cynic but this book makes claims that I find doubtful; the book tells readers that reporters are there to tell the truth and police are at marches to keep you safe. It bothers me that Freeman is making grand generalizations about reporters and police; an individual reporter or police officer's intentions are not the same as the next person and can't be known by this book. For example, I imagine many reporters are there to get a story and spin it in a way that'll draw an ...more
Diane
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Advice for youngsters who want to participate in the democratic process through protest. Everything from what to use for signs, to keeping your shoes tied, to talking to reporters ... even going to the bathroom. “If you see people who disagree, be polite. Sometimes democracy looks like disagreement, too.”

A book that gives adults a chance to talk to kids about the importance of being an active participant in a democracy. With all the protests that are currently in the news, kids might have
Danni Green
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: r4k
I guess this book was trying to be “nonpartisan” or something, but it did so by erasing the negative impact of police and by appealing to a nationalist and USA-centric worldview. The book also assumes that a family going to a march has access to an incredible range of transportation options to get there, which doesn’t match the experience of most families I know with young children outside of major cities. The illustrations are lovely but it’s hard to think the diversity of people represented in ...more
Cynthia Corral
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this is great for young kids who have been or will be participating in any marches. It's the perfect planning book for a young child and also gives a light understanding of what marches are for and how to bring love and kindness to a march. It doesn't delve into any specific march, rather it includes a low-level summary of different kinds, and things people might want to march for. It's probably too simple for an older child, but perfect for age 5-10ish. My 6-year old granddaughter has ...more
Valerie Craig
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book teaches children the importance of marches and protests and also prepares them for participating in one. It discusses making signs, how to dress, proper etiquette, and what to expect once there. The book even talks about how is ok if someone disagrees with you.

This book is very culturally inclusive, it features people of many races, ages, and family dynamics. All of the signs feature messages of positivity and peace. The illustrations are done in a folk art style. The tone of the book
Rachel
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Good, but not great. It was a practical guide on what to expect and why, but a bit simplistic. Something that stuck with me: journalists are there to tell the truth -- while that's certainly true of most, telling a child to trust a journalist automatically seemed like a bad take. I did really enjoy the "democracy looks like disagreement sometimes, too" part, but wanted more out the discourse and how disagreement factors into the whole march experience.
Lynn
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Freeman does a good job of presenting a basic overview of a protest march for youngsters either learning about or embarking on their first with their parents. Practical suggestions and tips on what to bring, wear, and how to get to and from the event. illustrations depict a diverse group of protestors and law enforcement and the overall tone is encouraging and supportive of peaceful activism.
Margaret Boling
10/17/2018 ~~ Didactic. Lots of characters of many colors. Many issues represented in the illustrations of the posters (women's rights, LGBTQ, peace, no hate here), BUT, no posters written in languages other than English. The book works to avoid politics, instead working to emphasize that peaceful marches are an important way to exercise democracy.
Jen
My 3 year old has been to protests and demonstrations since she was an infant. This book seemed to help her contextualize those experiences. She's been walking around for days chanting, "The people united will never be defeated!"
Kenna Coffee
A great book teaching children how to March with dignity and respect to themselves and those around them. It teaches truth about the people they may encounter if they choose to protest. This books shows a side of goernment in which we the people are empowered.
Juliana Lee
Children can have a voice in democracy. This book shows kids (of all ages) how to march and protest peacefully. Everything from wearing sturdy shoes and carrying snacks to making signs, singing, dancing, and being polite to people who disagree with you (after all that's part of democracy too).
N
This is beautiful. It starts with an almost If-you-give-a-mouse-a-cookie vibe, but then is really just a really practical guide for children on how a march works. The illustrations are gorgeous and inclusive and this book literally made me cry. Read it.
Gwen
The world we live in today needs people who will stand up and speak for others who maybe cant or who need our help to make a positive change. That's why I love this one.
The words itself sounds similar to "If you give a mouse a cookie he's going to want..." which was a fun connection to make.
Pam
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A guide written at the elementary student level. Freeman explains what's involved in preparing for and participating in a protest march. She offers information in a simple to follow format with illustrations that encompass a variety of causes.
Matthew Noe
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
It'd be higher if they had acknowledged that the police aren't always there in a protective capacity.
Edward Sullivan
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didactic primer for young activists.
Sara
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great tips for kids participating in a march. The reasons for marching could have been fleshed out a little more.
Jill Culmo
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Will definitely keep this in mind for social studies curriculum—how to peacefully protest.
Amanda Carr
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great way to explain the concept of marches to kids. Loved it.
Anthony
A young person's guide on how to plan, prepare for and conduct themselves during their right to exercise the right to peacefully protest.
Susannah Goldstein
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Only one perspective, but can be helpful.
Kelly
I don't usually get jazzed about books on activism for children, but this one was written well, was broad enough, and easy to understand.

• When Sadness Is at Your Door
  • Sulwe
  • Llama Destroys the World
  • Don't Touch My Hair!
  • Thank You, Omu!
Martha Freeman was born in Southern California in 1956. It is not actually true that pterodactyls ruled the skies then, but her three children believe this.

Martha graduated from Glenoaks Elementary, Woodrow Wilson Junior High, and Glendale High School. Until Martha came along, Glendale High's most famous graduate was a fellow named Marion Michael Morrison. He later went into the film game and