Start by marking “The Savior's Champion (The Savior's Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Savior's Champion (The Savior's Series, #1)

The Savior's Champion

(The Savior's Series #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  4,444 ratings  ·  1,175 reviews
Tobias Kaya doesn't care about The Savior. He doesn't care that She's the Ruler of the realm or that She purified the land, and he certainly doesn't care that She's of age to be married. But when competing for Her hand proves to be his last chance to save his family, he’s forced to make The Savior his priority.

Now Tobias is thrown into the Sovereign’s Tournament with nin
Published April 24th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Savior's Champion, please sign up.
Trinity Fordham
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tony P Cassie Beebe quoth:
> I think you can kind of read any first book in a series as a standalone...

True for most series; however, I have to say, I recentl…more
Cassie Beebe quoth:
> I think you can kind of read any first book in a series as a standalone...

True for most series; however, I have to say, I recently hit one where you really needed to read an earlier series first to get a sense of the characters and the world. BTW the book was "Nocturne", 1st book of "The Fourth Talisman" series (Kat Ross), the preceding series was "The Fourth Element Trilogy". I found the former book quite confusing, so I checked Goodreads, and happily a couple of reviewers said, "you really must read the earlier series first" (so that's what |I'm doing). Afaik however, "The Savior's Champion" is completely independent of other books--just jump in!(less)

·  4,444 ratings  ·  1,175 reviews

Start your review of The Savior's Champion (The Savior's Series, #1)
jessica
May 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i picked this up because the synopsis was giving me adult ‘hunger games’ meets ‘the selection’ (maybe even a little ‘throne of glass’) vibes and, even though i knew this would recycle some very common fantasy tropes, i was in the mood for that kind of book. and this did not disappoint.

while i thought the story itself was exciting and interesting, what i enjoyed most about this is the dialogue. i found many characters to be charming and witty and hilarious. i also really enjoyed the interactions
Anna Marie Reads
Merphy Napier
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adult
Update: I read this book before I was actually reading fantasy and didn't care about world building or well explained magic systems I don't know what I'd rate it now, but I think it'd still be solid because despite it's flaws, it was a lot of fun to read. Maybe a 3.5?

Would like to reread at some point to see where I stand now

I made a video review where I gave three pros and three cons in The Savior's Champion:

T. K. Greene
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am this book's target audience: I am an adult in her mid-20s, I love fantasy, and I am all for exciting, steamy romance. This book fell flat for me on all fronts.

This review will be long, because I have a lot to say. In fact, I unearthed my long-lost goodreads login info to post this, because the other reviews here genuinely baffle me. I like and respect Jenna Moreci, and have been following her YouTube channel and social media for a couple years now. She is a knowledgeable indie author who v
Liz
Feb 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the Feebles, Rogert Rodriguez and the Cinema Snob
Recommended to Liz by: my shoulder-devil
For all the issues I had with "Eve: The Awakening," I really thought this book would be an improvement. I recall genuinely perking at the sample pieces, thinking it was already a massive improvement in terms of writing. I also felt that many of the issues I had with "Eve" would be much more fitting in this ancient fantasy setting (the over-the-top bigotry, the juvenile characters and stereotypes, the slow pacing...)

Then the book came out, and I looked at the title of the prologue:

"The Beginn
tappkalina
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
January 23, 2019 - December 21, 2019

As you can see, it took me almost a year, but that's my fault. What can I say? I am intimidated by big books. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
But even if I didn't pick it up for months, I always remembered every detail vividly, I didn't need to start it all over again. Even now, a year later, I can rememer everything. Maybe it has to do a little with my method (or maybe Jenna is just a very good writer), because there were so much characters (with 2 names - on
Jordan Harvey
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received an advanced reader's copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Check out my in-depth video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkdK...

Oh my goodness this book is good.
I love fantasy, but I haven't read one in a long time that has gotten me as excited as this. I also read it in record time.

I'm not going to post a super long review here, as I will be uploading a review on my youtube channel shortly, but I will say this:
Pros:
-The action in this book is superb. The
Julia
Dec 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
TSC is the better book compared to Moreci's debut novel “Eve: the awakening”, I’ll give it that. And boy I had hope, everything about it seems right up my alley and wanted to give it a chance. Now I have A LOT to say, unfortunately very little is positive, but I’ll try to justify all my issues the best I can. This will be long, with lots of spoilers.

Writing:

The writing was so awkward… it’s generic purple prose and has zero voice. Tobias's thoughts are sometimes conveyed through the narrative, ot
Daniel B.
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Review coming on the channel soon.
elianna
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: full-review
non-ѕpoιler

I love Jenna Moreci. She's hilarious and an excellent resource for writers. However, I want to give an honest review that is unswayed by my adoration of her. This is a bad book. From the start, the pacing is agonizingly slow and the first 3 chapters (available on Jenna Moreci's website) serve little purpose. If well-executed, they would be a great way of showing Tobias's reasons for entering the tournament. As it is, the chapters are pointless. We know Tobias will enter from the begin
E. Chapman
May 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's just another tropey YA novel. I hated it.

Let me break down my main complaints:
- The characters and world-building lack depth.
- Almost nothing is revealed about the magic system, despite it supposedly being a central part of the story.
- The characters are all adults, yet they talk teenagers. Really trashy teenagers.
- It was far, far longer than it needed to be. Most of the conversations could be halved and no plot or character development would be lost.
- The plot twist could not have be
C.E.L. Stefani
May 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
(CONTAINS SPOILERS)

I was both excited and skeptical to read this book. I went into it with lower expectations because of the author's previous book, EVE: The Awakening. It is an improvement from EVE, but having said that, I don't think this book was astounding.

I read some of the reviews and noticed a lot of people predicted the ending and pretty early on too. And yes, it's SO obvious. I saw all the plot twists coming from the 5 free chapters I received. I guessed everything. EVERYTHING that woul
booksnpenguins (wingspan matters)
Dnfing this at 13% because there's just so much random cussing, underwhelming writing, questionable world building and anticlimactic and fanfiction-esque situations and dialogues I can bear in a single lifetime.

(out of curiosity I counted how many times the word fuck and its derivates were used and I got 176, followed by 71 cock/cocks, and cunt for the bronze with 28 mentions)

penguinonatbrmission.jpg
book #36

this hashtag is something I self-indulgently created for fun when I decided to thin out my immense tbr li
R.K. Gold
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The strongest plotline of this book was the romance between Tobias and Leila. Their conversations and organic progression within their relationship fit the circumstances well and created an enjoyable story.
Cintia
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I was given a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

SPOILERY REVIEW IS UP IN MY BLOG. Find it here: http://abookandateacup.blogspot.com.a...

Please, click on the following links to watch a book trailer, Jenna’s vlog about the novel, in which she answers without spoilers some fans questions about TSC, and my own review of her first novel, Eve: the Awakening.

Book trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-wR7...
Jenna's vlog on TSC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpNAV...
My review
Ashley (ashleyOutpaged)
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This. Was. So. Good. I needed a good fantasy sooo badly and this definitely filled the void. Full spoiler free review up on the YouTubes if ya want to know my thoughts ❤️ https://youtu.be/71l56wSwt4o ...more
Giota
I have followed Jenna Moreci’s channel for a long time and I really like her videos. She keeps them short, to the point and entertaining; she knows her stuff and is definitely hard working. However, as always, there’s a difference between theory and practice and in my humble opinion this book was…not so good. Albeit, I was not the target audience (Dark Fantasy Romance) I believe my observations have nothing to do with the genre.

One of the book’s main problems is the absolute lack of world buildi
Bella Rose Pope
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book. I honestly have been looking for a book like this for SO long.

Not only was I sucked into Tobias's world from the very start, but the prologue also sets up questions that MUST be answered. I'm the type of person who needs a book that'll make me think and question and hang on to every word and that was this book. I'm telling you, if you love real, genuine characters and a story that'll leave you wanting more and more of the world, that's this book right here.

WORLDBUILDING - It was
Saarebas
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't think I've ever been this happy to finish a book.

A quick rundown of the bad:
- The stakes are laughably low. Even more so after the big plot-twist
- The romance is an insta-love between Mr & Mrs Sue.
- There is no world-building, none, despite how long this book is.
- Characters are caricatures, protagonist, and villain included.
- So many characters, but only a handful maters.
- The magic is not explained enough to seem 'real' and is too central of a theme to get a pass by pulling the 's
Everly
Apr 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was trying to understand all the 5 star glowing reviews for this and found out the author has a platform on Youtube. And then I understood.

Needed to fix the lazy editing in terms of world-building, dialogue, character dimension and either the removal of modern terms and slang or the information that this was set in modern times in an alternate-universe??

Chris
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm basing this off of the first three chapters and prologue available on Jenna Moreci's website. I don't feel like I would actually have read beyond this point if I'd actually bought the book. I don't think this is a completely terrible book. It's below average. If you like it, that's absolutely fine. I'm not marking any of this with a spoiler warning, since all of this is freely available on Jenna Moreci's website.

The Prologue

Yeah, my problems kick off with the first page of this book. Why is
Calensûl
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Ehm, my hopelessly romantic friends?
Am I the only one who found this utterly repetitive? Like, there was barely any plot: Tobias enters the tournament, (challenge, sanctuary, crush) n times, falling in love/lust, big fight, (challenge, palace, infatuation) n times, big fight, big reveal, end. I don’t consider the repetition of challenges and lovey-dovey scenes as plot, since we rarely learn anything relevant there, so we’re left with a thin story and a lot of filler.

Such filler consists mainly of interactions among the competitor
samantha
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a spectacular fantasy that is a genuine page turner, then look no further than this book.

From the very first page you are swept into a fast-moving plot filled with engaging characters, bloodshed, and romance. You will laugh, you will cheer out loud, and yes fellow readers, you will also cry as you are immersed in a story featuring many threads: each memorable and important.

One of the things I thoroughly enjoyed was the depth of the main character, Tobias. He's brave, funn
Amanda
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars.

A bloody, gladiator style, The Bachelor type of book.

**I was sent an ARC by the author in exchange for honest review**

I was promised healthy romance, a diverse cast and a bloodbath. THIS BOOK DID NOT DISAPPOINT. I absolutely loved it! I cracked open the book when I received it with the intention of just looking quickly at the prologue and I ended up reading half the book in one sitting 😂

The only con I have is that because there are so many characters and practically every character
Kalli
May 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Genuinely shocked at the positive reviews for this work. I'm not one to write reviews normally, but if someone could find this which is in contention with the outrageous four stars, and this saves them some money, then it was worth writing.

First, its a romance novel. Don't allow the advertising and author to convince you otherwise. That doesn't automatically make it a bad book, don't get me wrong. Not all romance novels are awful. This just happens to be one that is not only a bad romance book,
Ash Ellithorne
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was really divided on how I wanted to rate this book. It's obvious that Jenna learned a lot from writing Eve and was able to apply it here. On all levels, this is the better book between the two. However, one thing Eve did that The Savior's Champion didn't was surprise me with the reveal. On the one hand, it was definitely entertaining, which is one of the things I look for in a book. On the other, speaking purely from a technical level, it simply was not good. More thoughts below, but b ...more
Helena
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I recently revisited this book and since my review didn't age well, I'm changing it.
Back when I read this story my tastes were different and I was still exploring literature and critically viewing it.
From my current standpoint this is a mediocre book. The thing I fell for back then was the diversity of characters and, looking back at it, they weren't even that fleshed out or great. The magic was lacking and it seemed too omnipotent for my taste. Back then I was looking forward to the next book b
Zara Lane
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kris Irvin
Jul 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
This book was several train wrecks combined into one larger, overarching disaster--and apparently it's part one of a series for maximum groaning purposes.

The story was like a mix of The Bachelor meets Gladiator. The Hunger Games meets Big Brother. Kind of like The Selection, but nowhere near as smart or as well written. Tobias is the biggest Gary Stu I've ever read, and he is the DUMBEST CHARACTER EVER with so, so many obvious things staring him right in the face and him remaining clueless till
Grace K
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was promised romance, adventure, suspense, diverse representation, epic fight scenes, and bloodbaths. This book freakin' delivered.

I received a free ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. Honestly? I loved every second of it. I don't typically read dark fantasy like this, usually going for lighter YA Fantasy reads, but I found this book really refreshing. Moreci perfectly mixed violence, gore, and profanity with really tender, sweet moments between characters. And I'm not even jus

• The Cyborg Tinkerer (The Curious Case of the Cyborg Circus, #1)
  • Ashes
  • Little Birds: a collection of short stories
  • Brightly Burning
  • Starlight
  • Song of the Dryad
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • The Stolen Kingdom (The Stolen Kingdom #1)
  • Pistol Daisy (Pistol Daisy, #1)
  • The Raven and the Rush (The Book of All Things, #1)
  • The Anatomy of Prose: 12 Steps to Sensational Sentences (Better Writers Series)
  • She's Not Here
  • 100 Days of Sunlight
  • A Fate of Wrath & Flame (Fate & Flame, #1)
  • Breach of Peace (Lawful Times, #1)
  • FLEETING CHILLS
  • The Stars We Steal
  • Cavern of Terrors: The Kobold Race (On Wings of Ash and Dust #5)
See top shelves…
Jenna Moreci is a #1 bestselling author of dark fantasy and science fiction, as well as a YouTube sensation with hundreds of thousands of subscribers. The Savior’s Champion, her first novel in The Savior’s Series, was voted one of the Best Books of All Time by Book Depository.

Born and raised in Silicon Valley, Jenna spends her free time laughing until her face hurts with her goofball fiancé and sn

The Savior's Series (2 books)
  • The Savior's Sister (The Savior's Series, #2)