Start by marking “Find Me Gone” as Want to Read:
Find Me Gone

Find Me Gone

One of Marie Claire's Best Books of the Year * "One of the year's most powerful debuts." -Crime Reads

From Vogue Amsterdam columnist Sarah Meuleman comes a haunting, whip-smart debut novel about second chances and the lengths one young woman will go to keep her dark secrets sealed in the past.

1996. In the sleepy hamlet of Bachte-Maria-Leerne, in the Belgian countryside, th
Published October 23rd 2018 by Harper Paperbacks (first published February 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Find Me Gone, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Elizabeth
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Find Me Gone
Kristy
Nov 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is a mess. It hardly makes sense. It reads like it's a rough draft instead of a finished copy. Hardly anything in it flows nicely. It's hard to tell if you're reading from Hannah or Sophie because it switches in the middle of a chapter with no warning.

The scenes from 1996 don't seem like they're all in order, and if they are, I was definitely missing something. The 2014 scenes don't all seem like they fit together, either. Other than the year stated at the beginning of the chapters, th
LadyJBookishNook
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for The Library Journal...loved it!
Melissa
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book deserves a much higher rating on GR than what it has. I’m not sure I understand all the bad reviews here...the timeline was a little weird but nothing I couldn’t look past. And the story..actually all three...were really interesting and well told. I would definitely read more from this author.
Christy Poser
Nov 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Don’t waste your time
Cyndi
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Hannah and Sophie were best friends in Belgium until terrible circumstances tore them apart. Years later, Hannah, struggling to come to terms with ghosts from her past, is living in New York City, researching female authors who disappeared for a book that she intends on writing. Sophie is nowhere to be found.

The story alternates between 1990s Belgium and present day NYC and also delves into the pasts of the 3 female writers who disappeared, attempting to provide Hannah with a much-needed cathars
Jules Goud
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, wait-what
I'm not going to lie, I was a little nervous reading this book. I saw the ratings and reviews and was not sure what I would find in the book.

I liked it, but I was confused reading the novel. I think the biggest thing for me was the disconnect. I didn't understand the jumps from Sophie to Hannah to the authors. I really didn't. I am still confused on somethings and would have loved to see a little bit more connections between the 3.

I also think that while there is some mystery involved with the n
Susan
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful writing but a frustrating story. Too many things going on at once, too many holes along the way, and a final twist that is more a relief from the frustrations than a satisfying surprise.
Kalisa Hyman
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Publishing October 2018

Average writing, above-average story. At times I thought the story was over-complicated. There's 1990s Hannah and Sophie in Belgium, current-day Hannah in NYC, current-day Hannah in a sleepy New England fishing town, then Agatha Christie's story, Barbara Follett's story, Virginia Woolf's story...that's a lot to keep switching between. I found myself just hoping it would all come together by the end.

And it did. Pretty decent ending (and as you know that bar is set VERY HIG
Sandra Grauschopf
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
If I had to describe this book in one word, it would be "disjointed." The story hops around between the viewpoints of two girls, Sophie and Hannah, 20 years ago, Hannah in the present, and, confusingly, three female authors who died decades ago. With so many jumps back and forth, no real story comes together. Even in the "present," every time we jump back, days or weeks have passed and Hannah has made bizarre life choices you only discover in passing. There's supposed to be a twist, but it was o ...more
Diane Fredericks
Feb 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
There was way too much going on this book. It seemed as if the author decided to put in every recent trope. The story was told in a nonlinear way - - made even more confusing by the fact that the author added three other characters (authors about whom one of the main character was writing). There was also no explanation for why one of the characters was suddenly spiraling downward after nearly 20 years. I found the ending ridiculous as it did not explain in any detail (it sort of glossed over it ...more
Crystal Hiatt
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wom2019-nyn
This is a poorly written book, which makes it hard to get through. There are several grammatical errors throughout, the language is off kilter and the plot doesn't flow nicely. I'm surprised editors let this one out the door. I'm also surprised by all the praise it has received. The plot is interesting enough, but the writing is so disjointed that it's hard to focus on it. Particularly in the 1996 chapters, the perspective of Sophie and Hannah switches so drastically that it takes a rereading to ...more
Melissa
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The story was told in fits and starts with too much interruption from past female writers. And it was intentionally misleading -- too obvious. Still, the main character, "Hannah," comes to life well and we understand the ghosts that haunt her. A twisty, turny story that leaves you still wondering about simple details .... like why was Irminia so important? She didn't really flesh out well. How did the teacher play his ultimate role in the story? So many questions, and so few answers.
Beth
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting plot but extremely choppy and actually ultimately depressing. Very disjointed and jumps around from year to year. Character to character. I kept reading hoping it would all come together but unfortunately not great ending or resolution. Don’t bother reading!
Rachel Clement
Feb 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not sure why I finished this book.
The Reading Raccoon
Jan 17, 2019 marked it as started-but-didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
DNF: tried to listen on audio but I’m finding it hard to get into and get a feel for what is going on
Roxanne
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: coun-libstl
Very confusing.. Interesting plot but failed to deliver.
Slawa
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This book goes back and forth between two different stories that meet at the end in a twist. I thought it was an interesting story idea, but it wasn't executed very well and the ending was a let down.
Melissa Perret
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Started off with a lot of promise, but the second half just felt muddled and convoluted. The twist at the end was fairly good, but still didn't make the middle section worth it.
Evelien
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: beste-van-2015
Not sure if this book can be related to by anyone who is not Belgian. I liked it. Story in story of the writer and her writing struggles , and in parallel the story of her youth and a girl gone missing in the midst of the Dutroux madness...
Heather LitChick4ever
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked the sounds of the plot for this novel, but I found it difficult to get into and the fact that the novel jumped around between narrators and between time periods made it hard to follow the storyline. I wanted the book to be better. The writing and the use of metaphors was strong, but I just found the story hard to follow in terms of who the narrator was and which time period I was reading.
Lorraine Schuchart
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anna
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Couldn't really get into this one.
J Earl
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Find Me Gone from Sarah Meuleman is a suspense novel that grabs your interest early but doesn't rush along with it. The time invested, however, is well worth it. So if you're tempted to stop because it is slower than you normally like, keep going and make it more about the details than a straight line plot.

The hints about what might be called the surprise are evident throughout the book but most only become obvious after the fact. Reflecting on the book after finishing actually increased my over
Douglas Ogurek
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Find Me Gone, the debut novel by Sarah Meuleman, shifts between three stories: 1) two girls, Hannah and Sophie, growing up in Belgium and the experience that will forever change them; 2) Hannah's young adulthood descent into drugs and promiscuity in New York; and 3) entries from a book that Hannah is writing about famous female authors who "disappeared." The novel deals with topics such sexual experimentation, addiction, and abuse. Especially intriguing are Meuleman's descriptions of the debauch ...more
Grumpybookworm
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
This was very convoluted, way too much going on. There were at least two books mashed together to make one all-over-the-place story. The Sophie and Young Hannah story should have been one, the Grown Up Hannah and the writers could have been another. There's probably a third in there somewhere with the random crap going on here.

The stories from the writers' perspective were boring, unfocused, seemingly unrelated to the other stories. All of a sudden there's a ghost popping up...??..... One of the
Taisiya Maslennikova
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-for-work
The main problem of this book is obvious heterogeneity of the narrative. And it is not about the style - all text is written in one (quite ok) manner, has unity, doesn't fall apart. But it is about sense. In one moment main character is contemplating about simple girl-ish things in her life (like "oh I want no longer live in this fake glamorous world" or "oh my man tries to keep me in the golden cage, but I don't want it" or "oh I don't look very nice today") and in another she buries her best f ...more
Susan
There was a lot going on in this story which is mostly from the perspective of Hannah in the past, and Hannah in the present but also includes the stories and perspectives of the three famous writers in Hannah's book, Agatha Christie, Barbara Follett, and Virginia Woolf all of whom disappeared. I didn't feel like this literary aspect added anything to the story and it just left me wanting to get back to the mystery of Sophie's disappearance. It ended up being rather boring and not very suspensef ...more
Hester
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A clever psychological study in thriller's clothing. The initial mystery of the disappearance of a young teen at the time of Belgium's notorious Dutroux child murder spree turns into a fascinating scrutiny of what makes some women want to disappear from their own lives. The novel moves back and forth in time and back and forth between small-town Belgium and glamorous New York City, with forays into the minds of Agatha Christie, Virginia Woolf and Barbara Follett, who all famously called it quits ...more
Nerfzilla
Jan 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring, insipid, predictable. There is no mystery. Anyone with a few brain cells can see where this is going from fourty pages in. I can’t remember the last time I struggled so hard to care. Do not waste your time. If you are as bored as I was by page 30 don’t bother reading any further, it isn’t getting any better. Ever. What a waste of perfectly good paper. Pretentious drivel pretending to have something to say. Ugh. The best description I can offer this book is.....yawn.....meh.
Elizabeth
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a slow start in the beginning but then as the story progessed I couldn't put it down. It was easy reading and so beautifully written there was a couple of times I re-read some lines. What is even more amazing is that I know this is a translation from the Dutch original. So brilliant writing and even more better translation.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Good Mother
  • The Favorite Daughter
  • To Tell You the Truth
  • The £199 Adventure
  • Know Me Now (Dan Forrester #3)
  • And Then You Were Gone
  • One by One
  • Groomed to be a Bride
  • Tell Me a Lie (Dan Forrester #2)
  • Have You Seen Me?
  • Run
  • The End of Her
  • I Know You Know
  • Val McDermid 3-Book Thriller Collection: The Mermaids Singing, The Wire in the Blood, The Last Temptation (Tony Hill and Carol Jordan)
Schrijver Sarah Meuleman is geboren in het Belgische Oostende en groeide op in Gent. Meuleman studeerde Germaanse Filologie (Universiteit Gent) en Algemene Literatuurwetenschap (Universiteit van Amsterdam, cum laude).

In 2015 verscheen haar debuutroman De zes levens van Sophie die enthousiast werd ontvangen door de media en werd genomineerd voor de Bronzen Uil voor beste debuut van 2015.

In 2016 ver