Start by marking “We Are Not Yet Equal: Understanding Our Racial Divide” as Want to Read:
We Are Not Yet Equal: Understanding Our Racial Divide

We Are Not Yet Equal: Understanding Our Racial Divide

Carol Anderson's White Rage took the world by storm, landing on the New York Times bestseller list and best book of the year lists from New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe, and Chicago Review of Books. It launched her as an in-demand commentator on contemporary race issues for national print and television media and garnered her an invitation to speak to the Demo ...more
Published September 11th 2018 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about We Are Not Yet Equal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are Not Yet Equal

Brittany Lamb
THIS is what our students should be reading in history textbooks. I can't even fathom the amount of research required to put this together, but I highly applaud the persistence. This is quality nonfiction; facts that we either don't know, or do know and have previously ignored. Anderson put so much into this and I came out the other end of it feeling honestly educated and informed. Amazing.
Dewey
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I keep starting this review only to delete what I wrote and start over because I can't find the words that are right to start this off. Instead of allowing myself to get caught in an endless loop of rewritten intros, let's start with a quote from the epilogue of this book.

"Imagine if, instead of continually refighting the Civil War, we had actually moved on to rebuilding..."

This quote basically sums up the entire book. Every chapter is full of examples of (white) people going out of their way to
Heidi
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-nonfiction, cybils
We Are not yet Equal was a fascinating and informative read. Anderson does an amazing job supporting her theme of racial inequality. Her point is that every time progress has been made in addressing racial inequality, especially in regards to blacks, there has been a massive backlash by the white population (white rage she calls it). And after reading the book, I have to say that she's convinced me of the truthfulness of that statement. This YA adaption focuses on five major events that seemed ...more
Mandy Peterson
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Four reasons to read "We Are Not Yet Equal":

1. Holy timeline, folks! I always thought I was pretty well-versed in American history. My history book was worn, the pages delved into with care. So, I honestly really didn't understand WHERE all of the cries of racial inequality were coming from. This book opened my eyes to a lot - especially on the national scale. Policies that are either intentionally or incidentally perpetuating inequality are brought to light. Had it not been for the timeline pre
Becca
I should have started highlighting quotes before I was halfway through the book. But, this one struck me because I keep thinking as I read that the people in power at the time were so very intent on keeping black people "in their place" that they were willing to shoot themselves in the foot, right down to closing ALL of the schools rather than integrate. That level of hate really is mind-boggling, while at the same time, there's evidence of it all around us still today.

"In the war on Brown, bla
Carol
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: literally everyone in America
This is a well-researched breakdown of where politicians got it wrong and steered our country in the wrong direction (spoiler: usually backward) from slavery to present day.

I somehow missed reading White Rage when it came out, so reading We Are Not Yet Equal, which is White Rage adapted for younger readers, enticed me to read White Rage next.

Basically everything we were told in history class about United States history, especially where the rights and citizenship of African Americans are concern
Melissa
This should be recommended reading for all high school students in US History courses. It is another eye opening read that has helped me educate myself about the oppression that POC have faced repeatedly from the beginning of time.

As I read each chapter one constant word kept coming to mind - FEAR. White people, and more often than not, white men are so fearful of people of color. I don't understand why we fear POC so much that we continue to try to "keep them down" and treat them like slaves o
Nicole Monk
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Ok - so actual enjoyment reading this book probably only 3 or 4. BUT IT'S SO IMPORTANT. I just don't really enjoy reading non-fiction. Not my thing. But this YA adaptation of White Rage is awesome and great for people like me who aren't big non-fiction readers. Most chapters are around 10 -15 pages so it doesn't spend too much time on one topic getting bogged down in the details.

BUT I LEARNED SO MUCH. Seriously recommend this.
Richie Partington
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Richie’s Picks: WE ARE NOT YET EQUAL: UNDERSTANDING OUR RACIAL DIVIDE by Carol Anderson with Tonya Bolden, Bloomsbury, September 2018, 288p., ISBN: 978-1-547-60076-2

“I am not poison,
no I am not poison
Just a boy from the hood that
Got my hands in the air in despair
Don’t shoot!”
-- Jay-Z “Spiritual” (2016)

“President Trump buoyed the white nationalist movement on Tuesday as no president has done in generations -- equating activists protesting racism with the neo-Nazis and white supremacists who rampa
Tonstant Weader
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
We Are Not Yet Equal is a condensed history of the post-Civil War struggles to combat racism and protect the civil rights of African Americans and the resistance to that struggle by white supremacists of all kinds, from those in sheets to those in business suits to those in the White House. As soon as the War was over, racists in the North and the South and in both parties set to work to get things back to their normal, the white supremacist normal, with Black Codes and new laws that effectively ...more
Amanda
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Advance copy made available to me through Net Galley.

This book delves into the history of racism in the United States and it pulls zero punches. Early on the book starts with the statement that Abraham Lincoln lacked "clarity" "humanity" and "resolve" when it came to post-Civil War/reconstruction and moving the U.S. forward. The authors go in on a number of founding fathers and at first, I was genuinely surprised at the tone of the book. Was it all right, I wondered, for a history book for teens
Rachel
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am so glad to have discovered this book. It's very clear and methodical (and well documented to boot) in laying out the history of racism in this country and draws a straight line from slavery, through jim crow, and up through the present. All my kids will be reading this.
Emily
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent explanation of the systemic and leagalized use of racism in history and how those precedents are still felt/in use today.
Rachel (Life of a Female Bibliophile)
See even more book reviews at: https://www.lifeofafemalebibliophile.com

We Are Not Yet Equal is an insightful book about the history of civil rights with a deeper focus on law. Though it’s aimed at a younger audience, I felt that it could be read by older children and adults alike. The book follows the timeline of history pointing out historical events and legislature from the era of the civil war to the 21st century. It highlights moments such as the Great Migration, the case of Brown vs. Board,
Emily Karsten
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carol Anderson did a great job on breaking down the racial divide. The book was also very detailed and enjoyable. To me there was no slow bits of the book. For me I think it is super important for any one to read this book just to learn more about the divide and hopefully close it in the future.With in the book I really liked all of the facts that went along with it. It details the past and how there still is a divided. Not only the details but it high lighted important people that played or pla ...more
Marie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: racism
"The trigger for white rage is black advancement."

"With so much attention focused on the flames, everyone had ignored the logs, the kindling."

"Before Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, he had plotted to rid the nation of as many of the nearly half million free black people as possible."

"Thomas Jefferson had advocated the expulsion of blacks from the United States in order to save the nation."

"Migration is the story of America. It is foundational."

"Thurgood Marshall's dissent in Bakke
kw
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note: Thank you NetGalley for sending me an eARC of this book!

This book is just the introduction of what I should’ve been taught in history classes but wasn’t. It’s skillfully crafted, well researched, and stunningly written with beautiful yet objective prose. But most importantly, it’s powerful in crafting a strong point and narrating it. It’s informing, but also infuriating and empowering all at once.

We Are Not Yet Equal is the YA adaption for Carol Anderson’s renowned White Rage. From the end
Liz
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Please make it a goal this year to read this book, share it with your family and friends, and then have meaningful discussions. This is well-researched and documented, outlining insidious, ubiquitous racism in the United States from Reconstruction to the present. With an emphasis on Constitutional Amendments and Supreme Court cases, the author illustrates and explains dozens of events in the US that probably went under your radar. I've read much of similar content before in other books, but was ...more
Victoria
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Latte Nights Reviews.

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Before sharing my thoughts on this book on being black in America, I want to give a trigger warning, there is some very violent and graphic content about some of the atrocities committed to African Americans throughout history.

"Racism is a topic so fraught, so taboo these days, the very mention of it cau
Annalee Schnebele
So, most of the time when I read a good nonfiction book, I bother everyone with information from it. It's usually interesting facts, but this book made me so freaking angry, that everyone was tired of me loudly yelling about the really horrific things I was reading about in this book. Want to get angry about racism? Read this book.

Highly recommended for high school students interested in a well-written, gripping account of the history of racism and white backlash in the United States against any
Michelle
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We Are Not Yet Equal is an adaptation for teens of Anderson’s book White Rage.
Written with younger readers in mind, it has an accessible narrative voice and includes additional historical context, photographs, and extensive citations. Five key historical events are examined in which forward progression toward equality is stymied by a systemic racist obstruction of social movements seeking to obtain justice for all. Well-written and compelling, this work is a must read for high school students.
Ms. Mester
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, nonfic
Highly recommend for MS/HS collections. Bolden helps Anderson put her arguments into YA-friendly form. The text is there from the adult version but slightly edited and updated and now broken into 22 chapters instead of 5, including original source photos, pull out boxes with clarifying historical information, and further readings. An excellent and essential adaptation for all HS American history classes.
Valyncia Raphael
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is so much history I didn't know until reading this book. Carol Anderdon is gifted at making dense history easy to consume and understand. Although many have chronicled the history of the race relations in the U.S. since slavery, few have chronicled how white supremacy has morphed overtime to respond to, stifle, and undo blacks' ambitions for freedom and civil rights. This is a must read for anyone seeking clarity or concrete examples of how white supremacy has manifested overtime.
JohnnyorLexie
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Required reading for everyone regardless of age, ethnicity, race, class, political affiliation. But, especially, ALL white people MUST read this book. Then, take action to eradicate white supremacy in all of us. Even if you think you don't hold white supremacist beliefs, you do. Intent is irrelevant. Move aside, it's the least we can do as we've benefited from white supremacy forever.
Maggie
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wanted this book to have more chapters! The earlier historical chapters were a bit dense, and, I imagine, would be difficult for a younger reader to read. I read this book in a day, which was too fast. If I were to go back, I would read a chapter, digest it for a day or two, and then read another.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Adapted from Anderson's bestselling White Rage (2016), this book summons young people to bear witness to the devastatingly expansive strategies white citizens have taken up to preserve the racialized violence that emerged from the founding of the nation.
Melinda
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great adaptation of White Rage for younger readers -- makes the content accessible without losing any of the immediacy or outrage. Should be added to school curricula. I was taught almost none of this.
Jamie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Important, well-researched read, great for teens, should be used in high school classrooms.
Nick Reich
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
YA version of White Rage but a really nice job of demonstrating a timeline of disenfranchisement. Discouraging to see a continued effort in 2019 to continue this trend.
Kelly Ochoa
I loved it. It pointed out many subtle things that I had not thought aboutl.

• Memphis, Martin, and the Mountaintop: The Sanitation Strike of 1968
  • Martin Luther King: The Peaceful Warrior
  • Bonnie and Clyde: The Making of a Legend
  • The Girl with a Mind for Math: The Story of Raye Montague
  • Trell
Carol Anderson is Samuel Candler Dobbs Professor of African American Studies at Emory University. Professor Anderson’s research and teaching focus on public policy; particularly the ways that domestic and international policies intersect through the issues of race, justice and equality in the United States.