Start by marking “Karl Marx (Great Thinkers)” as Want to Read:
Karl Marx (Great Thinkers)

Karl Marx

(Great Thinkers)

Karl Marx is the most influential political philosopher of the past 150 years. Understanding him is essential to understanding post-WWII Europe, American foreign policy, contemporary China and North Korea, and much of the rhetoric in today's colleges and political circles in the United States.

William Dennison's concise volume highlights the key features of Marx's worldview
Published November 30th 2017 by P&R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Karl Marx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Karl Marx

Jimmy
This is the second book in the Great Thinkers series published by Presbyterian and Reformed. In the introduction to the series the editor Nathan Shannon tells us the threefold goal for each work in the series: First it is intended to be academically informed. Second it seeks to maintain a high standard of biblical and theological faithfulness. Third the series aim is to be accessible for readers without unnecessary difficult jargons and vocabulary. This particular work is written by Christian ph ...more
J. Alfred
Oct 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The series introduction at the front of the book promises that this book contains "clear writing, relevant analysis, and incisive, constructive critique." That is, it explicitly says that it will avoid jargon for an uninstructed audience, and implicitly claims that it will treat Marx's arguments with charity, gleaning from them what is helpful and showing their worth to the culture. These promises are not followed.
Here are two excerpts, and I trust you will have read enough of the book.
-"Who w
Richard Klueg
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume gave me an increased understanding of the thinking/philosophy of Karl Marx. I especially appreciated learning more about his view of history, and the author did a good job of critically analyzing Marx from a biblical, Christian perspective.

Note: Somehow I had the impression that this book was supposed to be "accessible" to general readership. I think it would be rough sailing for most readers without some background in philosophy.
James
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good presuppositional critique of Marx’s philosophy of history.
Daniel Harris
I am a Marx novice, but wanted to get a proper introduction to a thinker whose work has left such an indelible and bloody mark on history. Marxist thought is also making a sweeping comeback in college campuses and in the new Left movement (particularly among the young)--class warfare, class oppression, elevation of the socio political to the primary, lumping the individual into the collective--all ring familiarly of Marx. For this reason I wanted to read an analysis of Marx from a Christian pers ...more
Scott
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice introduction to Marx's thought that helped me to understand how some of his different works related to each other. Dennison stayed true to his goal of laying out Marx's understanding of history as found in the sources (at least as far as I could tell) before coming to his critical chapter at the end. I also got a deeper understanding of Marx's idea of the alienation of the product of labor from the laborer, and like Dennison I don't see what guarantee Marx could make that alienation would ...more
Josh
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If the volume on Marx by Bill Dennison is any indicator, the Critical Studies series from P&R is going to be a go-to resource for me for a long time. Dennison examines Marx's life, thought, and influence rather extensively for a volume just north of the 100-page mark. Easy to read but not watered-down, I remain far from an expert on Karl Marx but I am much more educated than I was a week ago.

ARC provided.
Andrew Pendleton
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very brief and helpful intro to Marx’s life, the development of his ideas and worldview, and the presuppositions inherent to them.
Dave
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A good introduction to Marx’s life, philosophy and beliefs from a Reformed Christian point of view. A little wordy and perhaps overly academic, but it does a fine job critiquing Marx both in theory and in observable failures in history, and contrasts it with a Biblical view of man and of eschatology.
Eddie Mercado
Jan 04, 2019
Camden
Apr 19, 2018
Joshua Sutcliffe
rated it did not like it
Dec 13, 2018
Dec 10, 2018
Kevin
Feb 06, 2019

Great Thinkers (3 books)
  • Jacques Derrida (Great Thinkers)
  • Thomas Aquinas (Great Thinkers)