Start by marking “Craks in a Marriage (Mah Jongg Mysteries Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Craks in a Marriage (Mah Jongg Mysteries Book 1)

Craks in a Marriage

(Mah Jongg Mysteries #1)

When Sydney Bonner overhears a fellow mah jongg player arguing on the phone with her husband, she realizes the couple’s “perfect marriage” isn’t all it appears to be. A few days later, the husband is found dead, his head bashed in. Fearing she’ll be considered the most likely suspect, the widow prevails upon Sydney and her three friends—Marianne, Kat and Micki—to find out ...more
Published February 6th 2018 by Barbara Barrett

To ask other readers questions about Craks in a Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Craks in a Marriage

Start your review of Craks in a Marriage (Mah Jongg Mysteries Book 1)
Jeri
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
For Ms. Barrett's first voyage into cozy mystery writing she did a fine job!

For me, this book combined two of my favorite things: Mah Jongg and mystery.

Welcome to Serendipity Springs, Florida. You will meet four fun and fabulous retired ladies who get together once a week for a game of Mah Jongg. When another woman's husband is murdered they work to uncover who could've murdered him before his wife is arrested for the crime.

I was given an eARC by the publisher through NetGalley.
Amy
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is the first in the new Mah Jongg Mysteries, set in Serendipity Springs, Florida. Sydney, Kat, Marianne and Micki are friends who play mah jongg at one table together and are enjoying their retired life in this quiet town. Olivia Schwimmer plays at another table and doesn't socialize much with the other ladies; she is a more competitive player. All of that changes when Olivia's husband is found murdered off of a path in broad daylight. When Olivia asks Syd and the other three ladies to ...more
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
Four friends get together with others each week to play Mah Jongg (and occasionally meet for coffee, lunch etc - but without the rest of the Mah Jongg players), they are all retired, two of them are married (Sydney to Trip and Marianne to Beau) and two are single (Kat and Micki), everything is peaceful and the same week in and week out until Sydney over hears one of the other players (Olivia) having an argument with her husband.  Even that wouldn't normally ruffle the calm of Serendipity Springs ...more
Patty
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Craks in a Marriage by Barbara Barrett, is the first book in Mah Jongg series. A fun group of seniors, Kat, Syd, Marianne and Micki, help co player Olivia solve her husbands murder before she is arrested. This book is a fun read, with intelligent older women. I found this book to be a quick read, with well developed plot and characters. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. If you love fun cozy mysteries like I do, than I recommend this book.

I received an ARC copy of this
Katreader
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
CRAKS IN A MARRIAGE by Barbara Barrett
The First Mah Jongg Mystery

Sydney Bonner and her friends enjoy their weekly Mah Jongg game, even if they do have to put up with the annoying Olivia. Yet when Olivia's husband is found murdered, it's Sydney the widow turns to in order to find out who killed her husband. Believing she's out of her element and not wanting to get in trouble, as well as not being completely sure of Olivia's innocence, Sydney asks her friends if they will join her in discretely lo
Jessica Robbins
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour, own-kindle

Strong start to a new series. We get to meet a group of four women who live in a small town in Florida where they are each either retired or housewife's meaning their schedules are flexible. They all play mah jongg together which is nice new twist for a cozy series that I was enjoying as several rules are listed throughout. Things are great until one of their fellow players is accused of killing her husb
Julia
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I learned how to play mah jongg a few years ago and I play weekly with a group of women over 55, so the premise of this book really appealed to me. I read the sample and was encouraged enough to buy the book.

I enjoyed the mystery. It was an average cozy, better than some but not brilliant. Having a group of women as the amateur detectives instead of just one was a good way to proceed.

The descriptions of the mah jongg tables with the different types of players definitely resonated with my experie
Valerie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this first book in the Mah Jongg series!

The characters are great, quirky and likeable. They're well-developed and complex. I really enjoyed them.

The setting descriptions were mostly good. I'm a little tired of reading that someplace is "the jewel of..." but other than that, they were well done and not too wordy.

I enjoyed the plot quite a bit and did NOT know who the villain was this time before it was revealed.

All in all, I will definitely be reading more in this series!
Deana Dick
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love a book that is full of intrigue, gossip and exciting characters. Rumor is going around that someone is having an affair. Now people have heard who it is, but others don’t want to know. They believe in giving a person a benefit of the doubt, but that doesn’t stop the gossip spreading throughout the community.

My heart beat so fast when the victim was identified by his wife. You could feel the tension as the body was revealed and the moment that the spouse knew her life was forever cha
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
New cozy series excite me. This one is a little different than my usual, as the main characters are somewhat wealthy retirees. Well, one is a lottery winner, but all have winning personalities and a competitive streak. They also appreciate a bit of gossip, no matter how strongly they protest.
When the husband of one competitive mah jongg player is discovered dead in the woods, even though she has not been the best of friends to the rest, four ladies take a crack at playing detective to keep her
Patty
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it

I received an ARC copy of this
Kristin
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really fun book. Loved that a group of characters are the focus, not one person. That said, it became confusing with all the characters, but that's just me. Good mystery. Fun read.
Jenny
Eugenie Gray
Sep 05, 2019
Annarella
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! I liked the cast of characters, their friendship and the description of the live in the town.
The mystery was quite good and kept me guessing.
Strongly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley
Barb Harris
Aug 06, 2019
Deb Miller
Feb 04, 2019
Doward Wilson
May 20, 2020
Sandra
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Craks in a Marriage is the first book in Mah Jongg series by Barbara Barrett.
Here we meet four ladies Syd, Kat, Marianne and Micki a devoted players of Mah Jongg. In their group there is a woman named Olivia whose husband turns up dead. It is immediately obvious that he was murdered and as always the first suspect is a wife. Olivia claims she did not do it, admits she susected her husband of having an affair and asks her Mah Jongg friends to investigate.
Reluctantly ladies accept but it turns out
Rhonda
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved that the characters were seniors.

Kudos to Barbara Barrett for casting the Mah Jongh Mysteries with smart senior characters. They were likable and just eccentric enough to be realistic and interesting. I liked that some of the characters like Sydney are married and others( you'll see who) may be finding love in their later years. The mystery was well thought out and compelling and I loved that I hadn't figured out the murderer too soon in the book.
Definately a fun entertaining read.
I receiv
Robin Leslie Coxon
Lisa
Mar 04, 2018

• The Lies That Bind
  • Muzzled (Andy Carpenter #21)
  • Death on the Menu (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #8)
  • Brave Girl, Quiet Girl
  • The Grim Reader (Bibliophile Mystery, #14)
  • From Beer to Eternity (Chloe Jackson, Sea Glass Saloon Mystery #1)
  • Death Over Easy (Country Store Mysteries #5)
  • Someone's Mad at the Hatter (A Missy DuBois Mystery #3)
  • Tea & Treachery (Tea by the Sea Mysteries Book 1)
  • The Boy in the Photo
  • The Book Supremacy (Bibliophile Mystery, #13)
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • Shoot the Breeze (Detective Kate Rosetti Mystery #1)
  • Riddle Me This (Detective Kate Rosetti Mystery #2)
  • Hollywood Park: A Memoir
  • Tart of Darkness (Chef-to-Go Mystery, #1)
  • Purrder She Wrote (Cat Cafe Mystery, #2)
  • Murder with Cherry Tarts (Daisy's Tea Garden Mystery #4)

Mah Jongg Mysteries (6 books)
  • Bamboozled
  • Connect the Dots (Mah Jongg Mysteries Book 3)
  • Beware the East Wind (The Mah Jongg Mysteries Book 4)
  • Flower Power (Mah Jongg Mystery Series Book 5)
  • Jokers Wild (Mah Jongg Mystery Series Book 6)

News & Interviews