Start by marking “Hometown Girl at Heart (Hometown #1)” as Want to Read:
Hometown Girl at Heart (Hometown #1)

Hometown Girl at Heart

(Hometown #1)

Tara has always been too engrossed in her work - refurbishing the historical homes in Smithville. She keeps a tight rein on her jobs and her emotions buried, but she’s losing control of both since that ridiculous city boy investor showed up.

New in town, Justin is confident that his ultra modern resorts will bring Smithville into the twenty-first century. If only the loca
Published March 30th 2016 (first published July 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hometown Girl at Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hometown Girl at Heart

Start your review of Hometown Girl at Heart (Hometown #1)
Kathleen Short-Ridge
Really great read

Awesome read for a rainy day. Great characters overall. Not a lot of heat lots of sweet though and growth for the hero and heroine.
Lust for Lit
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic love story about a woman falling for the handsome outsider, against her initial intuition. The story unfolds during the weeks it takes her to renovate an old house ready for sale, while she is obliged to work with the big city out-of-towner who thinks he knows it all and infuriates her. Similarly he is far from keen to develop any relationship with her at all, let alone a romantic one. However, things develop and change and the pair’s feelings towards each other duly develop an ...more
Stephanie Bolen
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent can't wait to read more

Tara has a believability that makes a good story great. She is truly broken. And Justin fixed her, but not in a calculating methodical way. He bumbles along not knowing what to do, giving her breathing space even though his instincts say to hold her and never let go. He pushes at the right times not because he knows to but because he needs her. I liked that they didn't fall into bed. I loved that he and we got to know and respect her as a person. She was a comple
Novel Addiction
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book Fullmer shows how firm a grasp she has at writing punchy dialogue and characters able to leap off the page as you read. There is also, I found, a charm underneath the romance, meaning it had a greater depth than just being a romantic-type of novel. A lot more subtle, but also rewarding because of that. It also wasn’t too heavily focussed on graphic sex scenes meaning there was a real balance that added to the overall experience.

A well thought out novel that shows there is still roo
Julie Barrett
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hometown Girl At Heart by Kirsten Fullmer
This story starts out with Tara and she's won the bid to renovate the building. It's a total disaster but that never stopped her.
She learns of a development for the resort that will be onsite and the problem with that is she finds him very attractive and it does funny things to her stomach.
Story also follows Justin and he likes to do things by a certain order. He has a hard time locating TJ and the town residents are very vague til he finds a record at th
Biblio Virgo
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 out of 5 stars

____________

Full of romance, humour and drama, Shabby Chic at Heart by Kirsten Fullmer is sure to capture the interest of any reader.

Tara has lived in small-town Smithville her whole life. The town is her family. She refurbishes old estates and vintage furniture, keeping things to the shabby side. Tara’s goal is to please the town and make the people happy, so when an offer of a lifetime pops into her career she cannot say no. She did not expect to have a partner-in-crime thou
Book Blast
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hometown Girl at Heart (aka Shabby Chic at Heart) is a romantic fantasy, boy meets girl, triumph over adversity story, written by a woman for a female audience.

The two main characters meet at the opening of the story and start off on the wrong foot. They have a turbulent relationship at first but then fall for each other against the odds.

This love story is set against a backdrop of business. The leading lady is a buyer and seller of homes who works her magic on the most dilapidated of properties
Biblio Phanatic
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kirsten Fullmer’s story begins with a definite clash of personalities but delivers the all important happy ending required by a romance novel. The romance in question, between the story’s two main characters, is not an easy journey by any means and there are many occasions when it’s far from clear if love will prevail or not.

The story is told from the point of view of a fiercely independent young woman who eventually falls in love with a man who walks into her life out of the blue. It certainly
C
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didn't see that coming.

Wow, this one really takes you by surprise. This whole story has so many twists and turns and such a sweet one wrapped up in the middle. Read during the covid 2020 stay safer at home orders.
Beverly Kee
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, what a intriguing and beautiful romance!

I wasn't sure when I started this book if I would like it, but just chapters in, I couldn't put it down! Loved how she remade stuff and had so much stored too! Was so glad that they worked together and created such a beautiful place! Can't wait to read more by this author if they are like this one!
Cassandra Yieng
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The midpoint was perfect. Around the 25% mark, the plot was a little difficult to understand, but it cleared up near the midpoint, and I enjoyed how the writer managed to change the female protagonist's attitude towards the male lead.
Tracy Zullo
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice romance - feels like an older one - quiet 3.5 stars
Sreepurna Datta
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For fans of Robyn Carr and Debbie Macomber, this series is perfect.

Tara is such an amazing protagonist. My inner feminist kept applauding her for her strong beliefs, independence and lack of helpless-heroine syndrome inspite of her circumstances.

Justin was just as perfect for Tara. He is your typical alpha male hero, but without a controlling douchebag. His thought process is often hilarious, just like his reactions to certain "features" of Smithville.

I LOVE that series has third person POV, but
Susan Harner
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hometown Girl at Heart book1

This was such a good read. You get the small town feel with the people that come alive with every turn of the page. Romance is in the air.
Marta Ratliff
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Building a relationship

I enjoyed the way this book flowed. Tara was a lost soul and worked so hard to thank the people that had helped her along the way. Justin showed up in town and cracked her hard exterior. She also helped him realize how much people work together and are loyal to each other. A great book about how a town goes to great measures to protect the ones they love. This is my first time reading Kirsten Fullmer. I know it will not be my last!
Elizabeth Foy
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Now reading second book
Baby girl
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story on getting over obstacles and letting yourself be loved.
Luxurious Literature
From the start this author used good descriptive language and set the scene perfectly. We find the main character in a newly acquired property, decorating and renovating for resale on a tight schedule, when an unexpected stranger turns up in the form of competition. Misunderstandings follow and continue throughout the story, with plenty of difficult interactions, plus a whole lot of sexual tension, as the couple get to know each other and work together. Their immediate dislike and mistrust soon ...more
Julie Barrett
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hometown Girl at Heart (Hometown #1) by Kirsten Fullmer
Starts out with Tara and she is refinishing an old piece of furniture in the new building she had just bought. She's hoping to win the contract to change it all into a resort but by keeping the history and charm of the place and she's pretty sure she'll win the bid with the female head of the company.
Store also follows Justin who moves into a new house to take over the resort property and make it what it needs to be-a get away from DC. He's
Jessica
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit
The small town full of quirky, endearing and relatable characters really made this book a delight to read. It is lighthearted, has a great setting, and I really enjoyed the transformations that take place. It is full of fun shabby chic decorating, and an ending that warmed my heart and put a big goofy grin on my face. It is a light, happy book that will leave you wanting to read more by this charming new author.
Deb Blackbourn
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A New Conference Center?

I enjoyed this book so much! I liked the characters & how they all worked together to make a new conference/resort come to life. The 2 main characters often find themselves at odds with each other but they eventually learn to work with his modern ideas & her reused/renewed ideas. This is a good book for realizing that communication in any relationship is paramount. The ending was a total surprise!
Merri
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the characters

This story captures the beauty of the small town community. Change is hard, but it does happen. I’ll recommend this story to my sweet romance reading friends.
Debra
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it had all the feels. The story was believable and I could relate to the characters. The supporting cast of characters were funny and knew before Justin and Tara knew, that they were attracted to one another. I was a little disappointed the way the book ended, I would have liked a little more closure to Justin and Tara's story. This is the first book I've read by this author, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.
Janice W. McMahan
Romance, romance, romance...

Such a fun and interesting novel. Small town girl meets city boy. Fussing and feuding ensue. They finally decide to work on a a large, expensive building project together.
Elaine
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-challeng
Tara is passionate about restoring historic homes in the town of Smithville. Justin, on the other hand, firmly believes that modern resorts are the answer to the town's problems.
Two determined people with opposite views. How will they solve this problem?
A nice read,
Pegboard
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hometown Girl at Heart by Kirsten Fullmer is an excellent start to her Hometown Series. Tara is a young woman who loves her small town of Smithville and would do anything to preserve it. Her gift for refurbishing houses has given her a purpose in life and she allows her to repay the people in her town for the dark secret they cover-up for her. She anxiously awaits the beginning of her next project, a resort. Justin is a city boy who found his niche in building resorts for the rich in quiet and q ...more
Jeanette Fabian
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

Loved reading this book. The characters were perfect...saving it to read again. Muffy played a good part and I was happy her plans did not cause the problems she intended.
Melanie McCartney
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a perfect easy read to pass the days during what seemed to be a never ending lockdown. Lighthearted and doesn’t take itself too seriously. Classic city boy meets (not quite country) girl story…they don’t hit it off right away but very soon they realise they share similarities where it matters and are both striving towards the same goal for very different reasons. I appreciated that Justin seemed to fall harder for Tara (or Tara wouldn’t allow herself to fall for him so quickly) and he h ...more
Grady
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘These wrecked old places can be a real death trap’ – two sides of historic restoration

Author Kirsten Fullmer has worked in the field of engineering, has been a teacher at the college level, was a freelance consultant, and has an affinity for art. Now retired, she has published eight novels including LOVE ON THE LINE, TROUBLE ON MAIN STREET, and her six part HOMETOWN SERIES, of which HOMEGROWN GIRL AT HEART is Book 1.

An ongoing theme in Kirsten’s romance novels is the presence of strong female c
April
Tara has lived in Smithville all her life. From her earliest years she's had a troubled childhood. As she grew up she flipped houses and helped towns people have decent affordable homes. Justin hits town planning on building a resort. When the two meet they seem to be at cross purposes. They either need to be able to work together or they both could go broke. Can two such opposite personalities come to an understanding? Throw in bored wealthy woman to create drama and you have a fire and ice sto ...more

• The Patchwork Quilt of Happiness (Dare River, #6)
  • The Beach House (South Carolina Sunsets #1)
  • Wish Upon a Shell (Lighthouse Point #1)
  • The Restaurant
  • The Lost and Found Bookshop
  • The Banty House
  • The Match (It Happened in Charleston, #1)
  • The Nantucket Inn (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove #1)
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • Steel Dogs
  • The Nanny Song
  • Where the Crawdads Sing
  • Love is the Answer, God is the Cure: A True Story of Abuse, Betrayal and Unconditional Love
  • Notice Me
  • Betrayal In Blue (A Zachary Blake Betrayal Series Book 3)
  • Betrayal High (A Zachary Blake Legal Thriller Book 5)
  • Decker and Joy (North Pole Unlimited, #1)
  • Crossroads and the Dominion of Four
Kirsten is a writer with a love of art and design. She worked in the engineering field, taught college, and consulted free lance. Due to health problems, she retired in 2012 to travel with her husband. They live and work full time in a 40' travel trailer with their little dog Bingo. Besides writing romance novels, she enjoys selling art on Etsy and spoiling their three grandchildren.

As a writer,

Hometown (6 books)
  • Hometown Girl After All (Hometown #2)
  • Hometown Girl Forever (Hometown #3)
  • Christmas in Smithville (Hometown, #4)
  • Hometown Girl Again (Hometown, #5)
  • Hometown Girl Memories (Hometown, #6)

News & Interviews