Start by marking “An Occupied Grave (A Brock & Poole Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Occupied Grave (A Brock & Poole Mystery, #1)

An Occupied Grave

(Brock & Poole Mystery #1)

A village of secrets finds its past lies waiting…

Published January 27th 2018 by Oddmoor Press

To ask other readers questions about An Occupied Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Occupied Grave

Cheryl
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a 4.5 star read.

An Occupied Grave is a wonderful introduction to a new series and a new set of detectives, Brock and Poole, for me. I simply adore British crime series and this short novel is an excellent example of a murder mystery with a cosy feel centred in a small town in England. I have already added the rest and the series to my TBR pile. A very quick read entertaining to boot!

I received an ebook of this novel from the author via Instafreebie. I have voluntarily chosen to review th
Lorraine
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys contemporary British detective mysteries.
Shelves: own, fiction, mystery, series
Detective-sergeant Poole has just arrived at his new position at Bexford as partner to Detective Inspector Brock, and immediately, they have a murder case to solve. A.G. Barnett’s An Occupied Grave (A Brock & Poole Mystery, #1) is a village mystery, and this village appears to have damaging secrets that affect the solution of the the first murder.Yes, there is more than one murder for Brock & Poole to figure out. This is not a warm and cozy mystery, but one that involves the past in more ...more
Patiscynical
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Predictable

Too much talk, not enough action.
The book is centered around DS Poole and DI Brock. DS Poole has just transferred from Oxford, and he has daddy issues. His father is about to get out of prison, and he's nervous and concerned. DI Brock is considered by some to be cursed, because the people that work with him tend to end up dead.
Too much of this book focused on human interactions, and very little on the actual crime. And the way everything came together in the end seemed contrived.
Resul
Betsy
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first book in a series, which didn't disappoint as so many do. Poole has been promoted to work with Inspector Brock. They both have secrets, but these don't interfere with the mystery. So many authors tend to make the background of the detectives the real story, which I find tedious and frequently boring. Am looking forward to the next books, and their somewhat quirky characters.
Bettie
Listening Length: 5 hours

Description: A village of secrets finds its past lies waiting…

When mourners gather in the village of Lower Gladdock, the grave is found to be already occupied. The victim is soon linked to a tragedy that tore the village apart five years ago and is handed over to the Bexford police to solve. Detective-sergeant Guy Poole is hoping to put his traumatic past behind him and settle into his new station at Bexford. Now history is threatening to raise its head again, and he ha
Lia
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I seldom do audiobooks, but I've been really sick, and reading in bed hurts my neck. It's not the [audio] book's fault that I randomly picked something to "read" while I'm sick and grumpy.

This really doesn't work as an audiobook. It might have been okay if it's just plain reading, and not an attempt to voice-act the emotions in all the dialogues. But when you're reading a mystery, you're trying to work out who is lying, who is hiding what, who is uncanny, who is odd ... and you get this male voi
B.E.
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun! I love a good British mystery. This was kind of like watching Endeavour on Masterpiece, but set today and with its own special story. Great characters, awesome plot, interesting twists. Can't wait to see what's next for Brock and Poole.
Paul Ataua
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
A pretty formulaic murder mystery that I never really got into. I'm not quite sure which of the two key players, Brock or Poole, I cared less about, and it only goes to say that I won't be following them to the next adventure.
Diana
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Strange twist

This story is set in England where a Detective Sergeant Poole has been sent to a small village to work after graduating. His boss is Inspector Brock who has had luck with partners.
When a body is found in the bottom of a freshly dug grave and it turns out to be the nephew of the woman supposed to be buried there, it opens up an old case and the kids that were destroyed after an accident.
The vicar's daughter is the only one left of the four kids from the old case. The body in the grav
Sheryl Cramer
Jun 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Bad grammar, poor characterization

I've read 26% of this book and am returning it to Kindle Unlimited. The author's poor word choices and inability to maintain point of view or character-building were annoying from the beginning; now the persistent misuse of subject/verb consistency has driven me beyond my tolerance. If this were a hard copy book I would carefully take it by its right upper corner and turn it into a Frisbee. Then I would return it to the bookseller with a plea to have SOMEONE, AN
ruth henriksen
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Quite a mundane story, spoiled by the constant interruption of bad grammer and worse spelling!
He does not appear to know the difference between the past and present participles, and makes really juvenile spelling errors. Poole has too much back story. The measure of good fiction is that like good theatre it suspends disbelief, and this doesn't.

Kat Lebo
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
An Occupied Grave, A Brock and Poole mystery (book 1)
by A.G. Barnett

I enjoyed this read very much. It is set in the UK and the writer is British, so, yes, there are some terminology differences, but it was an easy transition that didn't require the reader to look up terms or to struggle with context meanings. The characters seemed a bit stiff to me, or maybe just a bit immature, but this is the first in a series, so I'm willing to overlook that. The characters were well drawn, with enough backst
Gail Gassen
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of twists in this one!

A very entertaining read! Love the twists it has as the many suspects. Also the great hulk of the DI, Poole's new boss, and his track record with his previous DI Sargent's and constables who were assigned to him. Poole is an up and coming young man who thinks he has to prove himself because of his father, who at this time is in prison. He's also soon to be released, & has both himself and his mum scared. Well his mum scared and himself concerned really, not quite k
Erunyauve
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
'An Occupied Grave' won't give you much to think about, but the characters are fun and the mystery is well set-up. There is a fair amount devoted to introduction of the cast, as we might expect in the first book of a series, and the author might have done a bit more 'show' than 'tell'. It's well paced-out, however - the author does not dump it all at once, but leaves us to speculate a bit.

As another reviewer noted, the grammar and spelling 'errors' are British spelling and colloquialisms. (Of co
Briar Lynn
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I admit, I picked up this book solely because of the title. The opening chapters then drew me in, and I found myself reading whenever I could until I finished.

The plot went along real quick, but nothing felt like it was being pulled out of thin air. I prefer mysteries where I can put together the solution while reading, and I was pleased that this was one such case. Definitely put this book above many other mysteries I've read.

Both Poole and Brock are fantastic characters, and whether it's polic
M
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who’s Dead in That Grave?

That question starts off this British police procedural set in a small English village—where everyone knows their neighbors’ business—which brought to mind BBC’s Midsommer Murders. On a mystery/police procedural sliding scale, I would say this mystery falls somewhat closer to cozy and away from hard-boiled.

DI Sam Brock is partnered with a newly arrived DS named Guy Poole, who has been re-assigned from Oxford. The characters are likable and well-drawn as are the secondar
Prescott
okay,

If you've watched Law and Order, their stories had almost zero of the police and district attorneys home lives. Every so often someone would say something about an ex or a family member or some such.

This book / audiobook is like 55-60% personal life of the police officers and the rest mystery. That's fine, just keep that in mind. I didn't get a stopwatch out and calculate this, it just seemed like it. So you have a 5 hr audiobook and 2.5 (or less) hours of mystery and 2.5 (or more) of semi
Pete
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans
This is a very enjoyable British mystery, I don't think that it's really a cosy mystery as it is a little dark in places, although there are some moments of light relief as well.
The story is quite original and contains several twists and turns, but unfortunately it does suffer from a few errors, both factual and grammatical which prevent me from giving it the 5 stars it could have been worth, but it is still a very promising start to a new series, and I look forward to reading more of them.
I rec
Kandi A. Hudson
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I Liked This

I enjoyed this story. It reminds me a bit of the PBS detective stories such as Inspector Lewis. The two main character of Poole and Brock could not be more alike but yet different. I also like Poole's romance interest and Brock's relationship with his wife. There is Poole's dad and this odd history and relationship. So lots of potential fodder for follow up stories.
Richard Thomas
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good start.

The book rattles along at a fair pace with plenty of by plots to maintain the pace. The two main characters are over drawn but as it’s the first of a series then it seems fair. The villain of the piece is not obvious until towards the end with a little mental arithmetic. Some of the secondary characters are perhaps not really believable but on the whole it’s worth reading.
Barbara ★
An entertaining mystery though we could have used a little more background on Poole's father to explain his hostility. Enough red herrings to keep this reader exploring the possibilities.

This is written in the British style so to this American it seemed to have lots of typos and grammar issues though most of them I think are colloquial and therefore my issue not the author's.

Disclaimer: I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Doreen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

Poole, a new detective sergeant, is assigned to DI Brock! What a wild adventure they experience in their first case together! Eccentric villagers, secrets from the past, rivalry in the police station, and Poole's desire to please in his first big murder assignment! Lots of interesting ancillary characters make for a delightful, enjoyable, interesting murder investigation. Hurry for Brock and Poole!
Heather Hollister
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed all the characters in this book. Poole is one of my favorites. Maybe it's because of the starting over somewhere else. The story kept me entertained and made me want more. The murder mystery was solved. I was hooked in the story from the beginning. It definitely kept me guessing who the murderer was. I was given a copy of this book for free to review. I am glad I took the opportunity to read and review this book.
Suzanne Barton
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For fans of Midsomer Murders.

A new series that is engaging and a real page turner. Murder comes to a small English village on DI Guy Poole's first day at his new job. Teaming up with his new boss DCI Brock, they set out to solve the case. But things are more complicated than they seem. The past holds the keys.
Along the way we learn about the lives of these two men as the work to unravel the case.
Can't wait to start book two.
Bobbi
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great mystery. Really well thought out and planned. The characters were fantastic. Hope to see more of Poole and Brock in future stories. There are so many bits and pieces of new stories in this book, that hopefully will morph into several more books. This is the first book I have read by this author and will now look for books written by him. Totally recommend this book to all mystery lovers.
Dorothy J. Barkell
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kind of quirky but good

This was an unusual mystery, intriguing but not reading like the usual story. I wasn't sure I liked it, but I just couldn't stop reading. It has multiple layers intertwined throughout the book. I'm not sure but I think maybe the author is a bit of a genius. Try it, you'll like it.
Rizello
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked, this and hope to read more in the series.

Detective is new to the area, a young detective. He works on a case with a more seasoned detective. There is a burial of an elderly woman and the grave is already occupied, so the mystery ensues.

For once, there wasn't lots of sex, bad language, just a good plot with characters that actually get along.
Paul
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great start to a series!

Terrific police procedural. Sharply drawn, compelling lead characters. A murder plot that kept me guessing. And a neat bit of ongoing subplots that don’t get wrapped up in a bow to keep me coming back for more. This is a great page-turner. Not to be missed.
Annette Sullivan
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic story of the unravelling of a crime years ago and more murders in the present to keep covering it all up. With two great policemen I defy anyone not to love, they conscientiously put it all together when death threatens them both. Told with humour, love and a touch of romance this is an excellent book leaving me wanting to read more by this authour.
michael thomas
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

Likeable characters,a believable plot, good to read a book without multiple murders/ serial killers which seems to be the current trend. Will definitely read more books from this author.
« previous 1 3 next »

• MacDeath (An Ivy Meadows Mystery, #1)
  • Swift Justice (A Charlie Swift Mystery #1)
  • The Fallen (DCI Matilda Darke, #0.5)
  • Into the Shadows (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #1)
  • A Taste Fur Murder (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #1)
  • Whack A Mole (John Ceepak Mystery, #3)
  • Finding Sky (Nicki Valentine Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in G Major (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries #1)
  • Orchestrated Death (Bill Slider #1)
  • The Frozen Shroud (Lake District Mystery, #6)
  • The Highly Effective Detective (The Highly Effective Detective, #1)
  • Deadly Desires at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #2)
  • The Dying Place (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #2)
  • A Fatal Flaw (Ryder & Loveday Mystery, #3)
  • Left for Dead (Maeve Kerrigan, #0.5)
  • The Murder Wall (DCI Kate Daniels, #1)
  • The Path of the Crooked (A Hope Street Church Mystery, #1)
  • Death of an Old Git (The Falconer Files, #1)

Brock & Poole Mystery (4 books)
  • A Staged Death (A Brock & Poole Mystery Book 2)
  • When The Party Died (A Brock & Poole Mystery Book 3)
  • Murder in a Watched Room (A Brock & Poole Mystery, #4)